• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Captain Falcon Q&A Thread

Player-3

Smash Hero
teluoborg, it would take more than 4 frames to initiate dash

iirc, its like 5 frames for a dash to start?

and i don't have a wii, so frame data is pretty important to me

MAYBE you can do it but it'd be crazy hard

lordhelmet

Smash Master
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234915
Falcon's pivot grab is frame 16. And when air releasing anyone you have an advantage of 20 frames so technically it's possible.

Also the hitbox of pivot grab seems way higher than standing grab, so high it makes Wario teleport into your hand when you grab him from a GR.
So I'd want you to test it before saying it's impossible.
I thought it was 30, Ness and Lucas with 40.

It may be possible but you have to consider the time it takes to dash.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
P3 it doesn't matter how many frames it takes to start a dash because you cancel it into a pivot grab instantaneously.

Maybe I should make a video for you people to see it better.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
This.
If you try to Pivot Grab out of a standard Dash animation, you'll just Dash-Dance > Dash-Grab, since your Dash frames haven't depleted; You can't Pivot from initial dash animation, no matter how long it is.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes, you should seriously try before talking...

Look at this and tell me that Bowser isn't instant pivot grabbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOvN3LtlKI
Bowser's pivot grab is 9 frames, and by ground releasing he has a 10-11 frame advantage.

And I can't record a replay but look at this.

So yes, needs more testing before dissing.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i don't get the picture

and i wasn't dissing i was expressing concern b/c as far as i know there's no way that it would work b/c wario could jump + airdodge

and the bowser is true pivoting not just pivot grabbing

i'm not sure if falcon CAN true pivot, but if he can then yes this is most likely PLAUSIBLE (maybe)

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
you can also grab release and walk and regrab wario but the only way he can escape it is ding foward. So if they dont di foward u have a chain grab. But if they cant escape the pivot grab this is going to be awesome.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
P3 true pivoting is just dash backward + instant pivot grab (forward). So yes Falcon can do it as much as anyone.

And the picture shows the horizontal distance from where Wario gets grabbed (before snapping right into Falcon's hand).
It doesn't show the real (horizontal+vertical) distance because Wario is higher before getting grabbed (normally you grab his foot).

It's hard to describe precisely, I guess I'll send Lordy a replay to upload.

Also, the only thing I'm not sure right now is if Wario can jump out of it.

Player-3

Smash Hero
teluoborg it most definently doesn't work

p1 is here and he mashed jump and could jump out easily

but if wario doesn't have his second jump, then yes you can infinite him

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
teluoborg it most definently doesn't work

p1 is here and he mashed jump and could jump out easily

but if wario doesn't have his second jump, then yes you can infinite him
Which we already could, when he lacks a second jump. =/

Too bad. Good job, though, teluoborg.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Punish him while he's landing then? It's not too situational. Unlikely, but not difficult. That'll eliminate the option of him having a second jump. Then that brings to me ask: can he buffer a bike to get out of it?

Nice job, btw.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
trying the wario i figure out that you can fastfall nair >> air release donkey kong >> and knee. It needs more testing. So far it works with cpu and it shows in training mode to be a combo and it can be follow with a regrab instead of a knee. Another follow up is air release in the ledge to raptor boost. Is showing as a combo too.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
trying the wario i figure out that you can fastfall nair >> air release donkey kong >> and knee. It needs more testing. So far it works with cpu and it shows in training mode to be a combo and it can be follow with a regrab instead of a knee. Another follow up is air release in the ledge to raptor boost. Is showing as a combo too.
oo sweet. I never thought about using FH Nair to force air releases other than for the PS1 wall infinite.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
What do we have on MK out of Air Release besides CG?

Edit: Nvm, read the thread.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Why wouldn't he SDI ? Or meteor cancel ?

If he's at a percent where he can't meteor cancel, and you grabbed him at the ledge just knee. More damage, more killing potential and more awesome.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
no one thought of doing GR > dair at ledge? wat lordy? I been doing that for ages ALL CUZ OF 2KNEE!!!!! <333

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
uhh, which stages are good choices against a zero suit samus?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
I main ZSS, so I'll just go ahead and recommend that you ban Battlefield and Final Destination. There's very few stages that limit a good ZSS. She doesn't have many disadvantages unless you want to consider her tether recovery not being able to latch to some stages like Frigate and Rainbow Cruise -- but those two are my best stages, so I dunno.

You should just take her to whatever stage you feel most comfortable with. Battlefield, she's one of the only character that have better platform control options than Falcon, so I wouldn't recommend taking her there. Final Destination, it's difficult getting an edge on ZSS so a large stage wouldn't benefit you too much.

Lylat Cruise maybe? It's suppose to be good for her, but that's my worst stage. I dunno about other ZSS mains, but it's terrible for me.

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
ZSS can either dash attack string or buffer fthrow string you off the second part of the stage.

She can grab release Meta Knight off it too. lulz.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
For more info than this you might want to read up on the thread.
I main ZSS, so I'll just go ahead and recommend that you ban Battlefield and Final Destination. There's very few stages that limit a good ZSS. She doesn't have many disadvantages unless you want to consider her tether recovery not being able to latch to some stages like Frigate and Rainbow Cruise -- but those two are my best stages, so I dunno.

You should just take her to whatever stage you feel most comfortable with. Battlefield, she's one of the only character that have better platform control options than Falcon, so I wouldn't recommend taking her there. Final Destination, it's difficult getting an edge on ZSS so a large stage wouldn't benefit you too much.

Lylat Cruise maybe? It's suppose to be good for her, but that's my worst stage. I dunno about other ZSS mains, but it's terrible for me.
Castle Siege?
ZSS can either dash attack string or buffer fthrow string you off the second part of the stage.

She can grab release Meta Knight off it too. lulz.
ok thanks guys i appreciate it :)

what about Brinstar, does she do any good there?

Darky-Sama

Smash Lord
NNID
Darky-Sama
Yeah, she's really, really good there. I actually like downsmash -> footstool with her when the lava is coming up. She can just keep comboing in ridiculous ways there. It's a nice stage for Falcon too, but ZSS is a terrorist there.

Zatchiel

NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Anybody, i don't think there is a bess, but if so, it'd be mainly fast-fallers, but if you can jab it, you can do it.

Top Bottom