• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Botanical Gardens of the Mushroom Kingdom

Are you awesome?

• Well DUH!

Votes: 160 30.8%
  • lolz no I'm a minority

Votes: 245 47.1%
  • I'm confused :c

Votes: 115 22.1%

• Total voters
NNID
Tofer_Magicant
I see Wifi as a stepping stone for those who have not gotten into the mood of the competitive scene.
Which to me, is the reason those who have already been in the scene for a while cannot go back and experience it the same way.
That's just my thoughts.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
To me people complain too much about wifi. I can rotate both online play and offline play fine. Same way I can switch from melee Peach to brawl Peach no problem. At this point, people need to start blaming themselves.

If a scrub like me can play Peach online like offline, I don't see why the rest can't. And all I am doing is thinking ahead of time. Thats it. And I been doing this for over 2 years. It's only crappy if the connection is bad. if it is good, I have no problems.

Back in the melee days, to actually get good practice and train, you had to have friends over, go to thier houses, or go to tournies/smashfest. If you was by yourself, you was stuck alone playing a generic CPU

With Brawl you now actually have the option to get better on your own time alone with wifi. For those that can't even travel much or their parents wont let them have friends over for practice. w/e the case is.You can play decent people as well. Not just your friends who may not be all that. Learn human tactics and reactions. Use mindgames, all that stuff. And if you are connected with players better than you, you can play them and that will help you get better, as well as learn match ups.

While melee is a godly game, you don't get these options brawls gives you. And it helps you get better at a sooner rate. Me, Ally,adhd,anti and I think atomsk too all abused this. There also a few other good players that abused wifi and got better from it, thus making them the beast they are today.

I don't think it is cool to just go on about how wifi is this and that. When people seriously to busy complaining about how your character can't do this and that or how one can spam, etc. Only legit excuse I give is if the connection is balls. If you get a green rating and no lag at all, I don't really see a need to complain. Wifi there will always be a few frame delays. But nothing serious. And this is with any game online. You can not escape that. Yet you have the options to play with people all over, from different skill levels (best go after the ones better than you alot) And learn from them. Also you will get better at a quicker rate.

I'm sorry but I am balls at this game now, and if I can navigate Peach on wifi like it is offline with no problem (win or lose, I am seriously not perfect at all, even for Peach dittos) I can't see all these complaints and excuses being legit.

I think people are sometimes spoiled and don't take for granted what they have. If you can't switch from offline to online and vice versa alot, that is not a wifi problem. Thats yours. If you can't switch from melee to brawl, that is not the character or game problem. it's yours. People seem quick to put the blame on other things but never themselves.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Wifi there will always be a few frame delays. But nothing serious. And this is with any game online. You can not escape that.

I respect everything you said in your post, but this part is untrue. You should play Blazblue or Tekken 6 (and to a lesser extent Soul Calibur 4 and Dead or Alive 4). Connections that are merely considered 'decent' are still very close to lagless, with good ones being pretty much lagless. I can't say the same about Brawl.

Granted these games I have played on the Xbox360 which naturally seems to support online gaming much better than the Wii. If you were comparing Brawl to for example Naruto: Clash of Ninja Rev. 3, which is another Wii fighter with online support, you could even consider yourself lucky cause that game is downright unplayable on wi-fi.

:052:

¿Qué?

Smash Champion
Well, imo I can't stand WiFi.

I have always been a very precise person when it comes to fighting games, and brawl being one of the ones I need the most precision in. I react with good timing and am notorious for Pshielding almost everything(even things I really shouldn't... Like Diddy's Bananas). That's why WiFi has been so horrible for me. Any lag throws me off and I eat attacks like a mother. LIKE A MOTHER.

The Toon Link MU makes me feel epic when I Pshield quick draws, bombs and Nair cancel Boomerangs.

That's why I've avoided WiFi ever since I tried it/ "adapted" to it/ failed miserably.

@Yaaay

Totally agreed. 10Yaaay's.

Tekken 6 is close to lagless. A lot of the pros started and have stayed playing online.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

I respect everything you said in your post, but this part is untrue. You should play Blazblue or Tekken 6 (and to a lesser extent Soul Calibur 4 and Dead or Alive 4). Connections that are merely considered 'decent' are still very close to lagless, with good ones being pretty much lagless. I can't say the same about Brawl.

Granted these games I have played on the Xbox360 which naturally seems to support online gaming much better than the Wii. If you were comparing Brawl to for example Naruto: Clash of Ninja Rev. 3, which is another Wii fighter with online support, you could even consider yourself lucky cause that game is downright unplayable on wi-fi.

Ever had a wifi game that has a blue connection. it feels just like these games you stated.

Also you say CLOSE TO LAGLESS. The lag is still there. You can not eliminate it. You can how ever reduce it with good connections from BOTH parties. This would have to be fast internet (fios for ex) And play in the same region. State. Distance also plays a part to how much input lag there will be. Same can be said for frame lag.

But you will never get rid of all input lag to make it feel like if you are playing offline.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
The only difference is that you can actually play people from outside of the country in other games and still have a good connection most of the time. I actually got some good practice with my Cammy in SSF4 from playing people online. I can't say the same for this game, and it's sad when the connection environment itself forces you to play differently instead of the opponent making you in most cases. I see no considerable progression from that, just cheap entertainment, and that's being generous. Lol.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Ever had a wifi game that has a blue connection. it feels just like these games you stated.

Also you say CLOSE TO LAGLESS. The lag is still there. You can not eliminate it. You can how ever reduce it with good connections from BOTH parties. This would have to be fast internet (fios for ex) And play in the same region. State. Distance also plays a part to how much input lag there will be. Same can be said for frame lag.

But you will never get rid of all input lag to make it feel like if you are playing offline.

Close to lagless = barely laggy, which basically has little to possibly no harm for gameplay. And this goes for only decent connections. GOOD connections, which you will play much more often than not, are pretty much just lagless. Or they have like... 3 unnoticeable frames of lag, which is nothing. They most definitely do feel like offline.

The best wifi connection I've ever had on Brawl is still absolute **** compared to 'decent' connections on Tekken or Blazblue. I'm not even going to compare it to the good connections, there are simply no words for that comparison. You should see it with your own eyes. You will realize that compared to these games Brawl wi-fi is a big pile of crap.

And I've never ever had a blue connection, how did you do that?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799

Close to lagless = barely laggy, which basically has little to possibly no harm for gameplay. And this goes for only decent connections. GOOD connections, which you will play much more often than not, are pretty much just lagless. Or they have like... 3 unnoticeable frames of lag, which is nothing. They most definitely do feel like offline.

The best wifi connection I've ever had on Brawl is still absolute **** compared to 'decent' connections on Tekken or Blazblue. I'm not even going to compare it to the good connections, there are simply no words for that comparison. You should see it with your own eyes. You will realize that compared to these games Brawl wi-fi is a big pile of crap.

And I've never ever had a blue connection, how did you do that?

Close to lagless is what a blue connection does. And to get that, Both parties have to have really good net speed. And/or live close to each other. I think one time I played NinjaLink to get Marth Practice. This was a long time ago. He lives about 45 mins away from me. My net was fast, and so was his. We had a Blue rating. Felt like all the lag was just about gone.

When people play each other on wifi, both parties don't have the same net speed or quality. Ones net can't be godly, while the others is average. This plays a big role on frame lag and input lag. Both sides have to be equal to get the best possible.

Sony and xbox has better networks than nintendo. With those 2, you dont have to work hard to get nearly perfect play. Yet that does not mean you can not get that kind of play from wifi. And I just explained how to get it. Sony and xbox you don't have to be that equal for good games.

So calling something horrible cause you have to put in a lil extra for good play does not seem fair to me. Also calling something that helps people get better horrible is not cool ether. hence why I say people are just spoiled sometimes.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I played almost strictly wifi from the games release up until the end of 2009. I got pretty good. Then I started playing offline.
My eyes were suddenly open~

Wifi sucks.

EDIT: Well to be a bit more fair, I'd should say wifi sucks IN COMPARISON to offline.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Close to lagless is what a blue connection does. And to get that, Both parties have to have really good net speed. And/or live close to each other. I think one time I played NinjaLink to get Marth Practice. This was a long time ago. He lives about 45 mins away from me. My net was fast, and so was his. We had a Blue rating. Felt like all the lag was just about gone.

When people play each other on wifi, both parties don't have the same net speed or quality. Ones net can't be godly, while the others is average. This plays a big role on frame lag and input lag. Both sides have to be equal to get the best possible.

Sony and xbox has better networks than nintendo. With those 2, you dont have to work hard to get nearly perfect play. Yet that does not mean you can not get that kind of play from wifi. And I just explained how to get it. Sony and xbox you don't have to be that equal for good games.

So calling something horrible cause you have to put in a lil extra for good play does not seem fair to me. Also calling something that helps people get better horrible is not cool ether. hence why I say people are just spoiled sometimes.
Fair enough, just wanted to say that not every fighting game is like this. Hell, we could have had worse as well *coughcoughNarutocoughcough*.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Except Wi Fi is trash and calling it horrible in comparison to offline is completely justified. It's hardly 'being spoiled'

I don't think I've ever had more than a green dot connection and those connections very quickly degraded into yellows and oranges

I slag Wi Fi off mainly out of frustration because of the 'blurred' victories and losses I get. Offline, would that move have hit? Would I have messed that up? Would I have done this/that? Would I have actually won/lost if there wasn't any lag? Am I better or worse than I think? Wi Fi constantly plagues me with these questions

The frustration piles on as I realise that this is possibly as good as its going to get for me when playing other people and tbh that sucks massively

Trying to play people in the US is even stupider. I mean lets face it, I'm never going to play any of you offline and the best impression I get to make on you with my Brawling is in a horribly clunky environment where my punishment game goes to pot. Its very disheartening when you're trying to make a good impression

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Omg Xyless keep it up with the slick *** music. I've never had my own library grow so fast lol.

Are you open to any recommendations (mostly some of my personal favorite Renard tracks)?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Except Wi Fi is trash and calling it horrible in comparison to offline is completely justified. It's hardly 'being spoiled'

I don't think I've ever had more than a green dot connection and those connections very quickly degraded into yellows and oranges

I slag Wi Fi off mainly out of frustration because of the 'blurred' victories and losses I get. Offline, would that move have hit? Would I have messed that up? Would I have done this/that? Would I have actually won/lost if there wasn't any lag? Am I better or worse than I think? Wi Fi constantly plagues me with these questions

The frustration piles on as I realise that this is possibly as good as its going to get for me when playing other people and tbh that sucks massively

Trying to play people in the US is even stupider. I mean lets face it, I'm never going to play any of you offline and the best impression I get to make on you with my Brawling is in a horribly clunky environment where my punishment game goes to pot. Its very disheartening when you're trying to make a good impression
Just because you can't deal with it and have to play people in the USA where that kind of distance is not even recommended, and get hardly get a green connection does not make it bad.

People forget alot that if both parties don't have decent speed or equal, it will not be all that. You say you would never get to play with us cause of where you are. And the shot you have to do so, you are gonna complain about it?

I ask for a 4GB ram card for xmas. I end up getting a 1gb ram card. This is not what I asked for. But I will take it just cause it can speed up my PC a lil. its way better then no boost at all.

And why are you even gonna fustrate yourself with all those questions. That has nothing to do with wifi. Just play. You will obviously never find that out if you say you would not play us offline. So why make it more of a pain doing that. You already now playing people from the USA will not be all that. Then you are gonna bash wifi like crazy due to your experience when it has help so many people, even these big name pros? Something is wrong there.

You seriously knew what you are gonna get into. None put a gun to your head and said play it. People have tried it a few times and said it was not for them. So never did it again. Yetthey did not bash it say all this stuff. Some have even admit it has help alot of people get better. And there is proven facts/stories about it. I can't say it it balls if it is helping people become pro players. When I hear and see that, I am quick on that boat.

Yet you need to understand what it takes to have a clear connection. So much play a role:

- Your connection

- enemies connection

- Distance

- Speed

- speed difference from your connection and enemies

- Wired connection

- wireless conection.

-Speed of PC (yes this applies, if your PC is not all that fast, it can screw up the speed of the net you are suppose to get. You won't get the full speed you think you get)

- Port fowarding (This cant help boost up speed of wifi a lil. Look up on this online)

Again, you have to put in a lil work to get good gameplay. Same time you knew what you was getting into trying wifi from where you was. And you are gonna complain about it? Thats being straight spoiled to me.

And to clear something up. a bad wifi connection compared to offline is horrible. A good one compared to offline is just a few steps below. But nothing serious. Look at that list I made again. Then think about what it is like for you and what you get yourself into.

My time with wifi is what DP said. A step below from playing offline. I would compare it many times to playing on a laggy tv. With the occasional lag spike, but typically those are rare if you are running a match at laggy tv speed.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I

You know what I can't even be arsed anymore. Say what you want Dark
I'm thankful I can at least play more people but the lag is just really awful and alters gameplay too much for it to be unnoticeable

@Xyless - is that music a remix of something? Its sounds really familiar
Loved the little character bit pictures you drew :p

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216

Xyless

Smash Master
@Xyless - is that music a remix of something? Its sounds really familiar
Loved the little character bit pictures you drew :p
Someone please tell me the name of that song in Xyless's video. I know it from somewhere, but I cannot remember where and it is killing me to find out @_@

Haha! I think I figured it out. It was a play off of the song in this animation of nightmare city.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjQ0DilngkE
o hi

Xyless

Smash Master

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Just listened to it now. Definitely throwing that on Frigate, haha. Each of those versions of the song are amazing as well.

Did any of my suggestions catch your eye?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I

You know what I can't even be arsed anymore. Say what you want Dark
I'm thankful I can at least play more people but the lag is just really awful and alters gameplay too much for it to be unnoticeable
I'm not too sure what your problem is but w/e man. I am not even fighting here.

But cause of your bad experience, you can say it is so bad. What YOU go through with connections, not everyone that plays wifi goes through it. Some just have godly connections and hardly bad ones. And reasons for that is cause of that list I made. Others just have it bad. Now if it was the same experience for all that wifi, I could agree with all this. But it isnt.

I'm actually calm here. is like everything that turns into a debate have to be a fight or come off as one? I'm slowly starting to think I am really not the cause of much drama.

Xyless

Smash Master
Just listened to it now. Definitely throwing that on Frigate, haha. Each of those versions of the song are amazing as well.

Did any of my suggestions catch your eye?
Yeah, I didn't think anyone would go for Force A Nature.

I'll see what I can do next time I have my windows laptop on me (maybe later tonight).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I'm not too sure what your problem is but w/e man. I am not even fighting here.

But cause of your bad experience, you can say it is so bad. What YOU go through with connections, not everyone that plays wifi goes through it. Some just have godly connections and hardly bad ones. And reasons for that is cause of that list I made. Others just have it bad. Now if it was the same experience for all that wifi, I could agree with all this. But it isnt.

I'm actually calm here. is like everything that turns into a debate have to be a fight or come off as one? I'm slowly starting to think I am really not the cause of much drama.
He wasn't starting any drama...he was agreeing to disagree. It's quite obvious bro.

@ Xyless- Yeah I already have it added. It is delicious on Lylat.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
This tldr drama.

I only skimmed on my phone.

I generally agree that wifi is inferior to other netplay.

However I've never had a problem in button delay. Only frame delay lag is bad.

Buffering exists for a reason.

Changing topic though,

How many peaches here are going to pound 4 or whobo?

Top Bottom