• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

M@v

Subarashii!
Marth wins the matchup clear cut. No one ever said its unwinnable though, because it definitely is winnable.

P.S. Seagull, stay away from marth and laser camp unless your using ftilts, dash attacks, side bs, and the occassional reflector or jab. Those are your best ways to space. Don't jab cancel much because he can wreck your **** with up b if you abuse it. Marth can upb out of a lot of falco's things, so the matchup is a lot about seeing how much the marth your playing is willing to let you get away with. Take what he gives you, and when you pick up when he likes to upb, bait him into using it and shield. Proceed to do whatever you want.

kismet2

Smash Ace
no dj not anymore because i'm out of the way for my ride and i don't want to pay $60 for a bus ticket to get picked up after some of my cash went missing =(

also yes jab cancelling with falco is too good. he's really good lol

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Who tells you that Falco wins that match up Seagull?
No one near me Larry...But this guy below that I'm quoting.

VVVV
A lot of people I've talked to are convinced it's in falco's favor :/

Great job keitaro!
Question to Larry: Given a punishment choice of moves besides Fsmash, would Dair be the best because it can lead into another move at mid percents?

My biggest problem as :falco: is of course killing (The hardest thing in general most :falco:'s probably have). It's hard to not stale Bair when it's a frame trap move and Usmash is hard to land on smart opponents.

:018:

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Who tells you that Falco wins that match up Seagull?
I think the matchup is even. The only reason it would be in Marths favor is if he gets that 0-death cg, but there is literally no reason you should get caught by that if you play smart.

Anyway, it's just every marth I've beaten in tourney always complains about how hard the matchup is for marth. No one too important thinks that though, except I know TKD thinks it is 60/40 falcos favor.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Marth wins the matchup clear cut. No one ever said its unwinnable though, because it definitely is winnable.

P.S. Seagull, stay away from marth and laser camp unless your using ftilts, dash attacks, side bs, and the occassional reflector or jab. Those are your best ways to space. Don't jab cancel much because he can wreck your **** with up b if you abuse it. Marth can upb out of a lot of falco's things, so the matchup is a lot about seeing how much the marth your playing is willing to let you get away with. Take what he gives you, and when you pick up when he likes to upb, bait him into using it and shield. Proceed to do whatever you want.
Actually, Falco can Double Jab -> Shield. Falco will always PS Marth's Up B this way.
Jab 1, however. Marth can Up B before you shield.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
@seagull yes dair would be better because of it's follow up potential. As far as having trouble killing, just use your pummels when you grab someone and throws to unstale your moves.

@Blondie I have no idea why he thinks it's 6-4 falco's favor, but it's even at best and or in marth's favor. I know mr-r and Leon agree with me that it's marth's favor and mike thinks that it's even.

:phone:

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I should introduce Masha to these forums. He speaks English pretty good and I talk to him often on allisbrawl plus he said to ask him if I ever need Falco or Japan info (which I do often lol.)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Yesz, a thousand times yesz.

Also late GJ for beating False, I guess you can say *sunglasses* that your dream came True.

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
So guys, I went to an Apex Qualifier in Florida yesterday and placed 9/71. I feel like I could've done better, but I got Apex seeding points so that's good :D

/holding it down for Falco

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
And I got 17th, along with Viper and Lad.

I could have definitely done better.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I'm going to be using a lot more :falco: in tourney now. Mostly for character cp's.

I'll post vids tonight of my :falco: versus Poyo's :squirtle: and Logic's :olimar:. I'd like Larry's advice/critique if possible!

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Seagull you should try to Olimar more close range, it makes the match a lot easier imo. Try to remember to use jab a lot more than you usually would vs Olimar as well, it's so fast and it can beat out a lot of his attacks.

One thing I noticed is that you tend to use side b whenever you're close to the edge and feel pressured. Side b is a good move to use, but you don't want someone to be able to consistently read your patterns with it since it can lead to you receiving some big damage.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Also if you want to stay away from Olimar you should work on your laser/reflector game.
Like in the MK matchup, lasers don't work if they're not as low as possible.
And you should work on the spacing/timing for your shine to reflect pikmins, because from my humble experience you can shut down Olimar's camping if he takes more damage from his pikmins then you.

:phone:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Seagull you should try to Olimar more close range, it makes the match a lot easier imo. Try to remember to use jab a lot more than you usually would vs Olimar as well, it's so fast and it can beat out a lot of his attacks.

One thing I noticed is that you tend to use side b whenever you're close to the edge and feel pressured. Side b is a good move to use, but you don't want someone to be able to consistently read your patterns with it since it can lead to you receiving some big damage.
Ok thanks for the advice. Basically don't be as predictable with my phantasms and use more close range combat.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Points for flare though lol I didn't actually know you could b-reversal as you ran off.

Anyone have any ideas for a falco/G&W team? Ignoring the obvious bucket stuff. I'm not exactly sure what sort of role Falco should take on a team to be honest in general. G&W I feel would do most of the tanking (ledge antics lots of UpB ?) and KO power for the team.
I've been playing this since launch and been successful with it.

Bucket is good, take it when you can get it. You can get it more than you initially think, but if you force it, you will die. If he gets a better projectile (thunder for example), you should be a hero and fill it so you can murder someone.

Vaguely, G&W is the tank and you will get gimped sometimes. It isn't abnormal to share stock nearly every set so long as you win with it. His stocks should last longer than your's and you should accept that.

G&W will also net more kills than you will. In the chaos of doubles, his smashes are very good at taking stocks and his Fair and Dair are good at giving the job done on stubborn opponents. Take your FSmash, USmash, or UAir where you can get it (especially UAir as his UAir can set it up to be a VERY threatening move by stalling an opponent where they do not expect to be and letting you abuse your jump and double jump height), but you don't have to force anything.

Your job is to hurt them and to reset the situation when bad things happen. You will box and you will shut down the characters your jab shuts down. Past that, you live to deal with Snake, Marth, MK, and Olimar. You're pretty good at dealing with the first and last one and okay at the last two.

All in all, you will look like you're being carried through games (and probably are seeing as G&W is the better character in doubles), but you are still pulling your weight. Tag Bairs, Dairs, Nairs, jabs, throws, tilts, and lasers to support your partner and use them to extend combos on the fly. Try and force them into G&W's comfort zone so he can capitalize instead of having to space them there himself.

Possibly your biggest job is to reset the situation with grabs, aerials, and PHANTASM! You can resolve a sticky situation fairly easily, so abuse that trait (as he should for you seeing as you can get ****ed up and lose a stock if someone starts going off on you).

Past that, it's basic doubles. You're a good character with good properties and basic moves. You want to hit them and not get hit back. Learn to pay attention to all the players in the game and learn how your partner wants to act so you can take the correct course of action. Communicate. Recognize that you can die early and don't do it. PS1/2, BF, Frigate, SV, Delphino, and RCruise should be your go to stages in most MUs. Rule of thumb, ignore FD because it badly hinder G&W just as he should ignore Brinstar as it hurts you similarly.

cork

Smash Rookie
I've just started dipping my toes into the water in playing falco, but I really want to learn. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, and if so I'm sorry, but I'm awful at this game and I'm trying to learn the basics now.

So my question is, how does one dacus? I've read the steps and I've tried it, using both the C stick to smash and up+a to smash, but it never seems to do anything. I don't understand, is there a timing issue I'm missing? Does it have to be ridiculously fast?

Darktega

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktega13
I've just started dipping my toes into the water in playing falco, but I really want to learn. Maybe this is the wrong place to ask, and if so I'm sorry, but I'm awful at this game and I'm trying to learn the basics now.

So my question is, how does one dacus? I've read the steps and I've tried it, using both the C stick to smash and up+a to smash, but it never seems to do anything. I don't understand, is there a timing issue I'm missing? Does it have to be ridiculously fast?
Well, there's a guide here in the Falco sub-forum, you should start there.

Then, the DACUS technique I use is more like:

Dash with analog stick -> Inmediatly cancel with Down C-Stick (This will cause you to dash attack) -> Cancel with Analog Up + Z and you will Usmash. Then you'll have your DACUS.

Remember that DACUS stands for Dash Attack Cancel Up Smash, so basically, do that.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Learn how to move and space with Falco before you learn his techniques.

cork

Smash Rookie
While that's probably a really good idea, the fact that I can't grasp this apparently simple skill is still quite upsetting. I can cancel out of a grab into an up smash, but the dash just doesn't seem to care what I do...

Yes, it has to be really fast. If you really are new to the game, then moving that quickly might take awhile. There is an alternative method that helps, but it requires tap jump to be off.

What you can do is dash and maintain a run with the control stick in the upper left or upper right diagonal. Then, you dash attack with C-stick down, and hit a trigger which is set to grab or attack (L, R, or Z) to activate the Usmash in combination with the control stick in the upper diagonals. This splits the inputs into three separate fingers and you might find it easier to time pressing one after another this way.

The IAP and SHL/SHDL are part of Falco's basic movements :p Some techniques are pretty useless to learn how to do such as platform canceling until you can know when it is useful to apply it.
While that's probably a really good idea, the fact that I can't grasp this apparently simple skill is still quite upsetting. I can cancel out of a grab into an up smash, but the dash just doesn't seem to care what I do...
Again, it has to be rather quick, and dacus is more of a situational option anyway, but still vital to learn.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
It's still better to try to learn dacus rather than focusing on ultra mega super situational bdacus lol.
The inputs you want for dacus :
( :stick6: >) :stick9: > :cstick2: > :abutton:
Iirc you have a 4 frames window between the Cstick and the A button. That mustn't say much to you, just know it's really fast.
If you down smash you input the Cstick too early
If you only do a dash attack you input the A too late or didn't hold up on the analog stick
If you do a gatling (where you see both dash attack and Usmash animations) you input A just a little bit too late
If you do a dashing Usmash you input A too early.

The only ATs that are vital are SHL and phantasm cancel. IAP is cool too, even though it's just a SH phantasm so I don't know if it's worth to call it an AT.

Also the most important things to practice ever are SDI, DI, momentum canceling and recovery. ATs aren't even seconds.

cork

Smash Rookie
It's still better to try to learn dacus rather than focusing on ultra mega super situational bdacus lol.
The inputs you want for dacus :
( :stick6: >) :stick9: > :cstick2: > :abutton:
Iirc you have a 4 frames window between the Cstick and the A button. That mustn't say much to you, just know it's really fast.
If you down smash you input the Cstick too early
If you only do a dash attack you input the A too late or didn't hold up on the analog stick
If you do a gatling (where you see both dash attack and Usmash animations) you input A just a little bit too late
If you do a dashing Usmash you input A too early.

The only ATs that are vital are SHL and phantasm cancel. IAP is cool too, even though it's just a SH phantasm so I don't know if it's worth to call it an AT.

Also the most important things to practice ever are SDI, DI, momentum canceling and recovery. ATs aren't even seconds.
Thanks a ton for the help. This level of detail is great for a person like me trying to pinpoint my mistakes, I really appreciate it.

Edit: Aha! I got it! Not reliably but I can do it once every 4 or so tries. Almost as soon I stopped trying to do everything super fast and just did it in sequence it started working. Thanks again!

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Hm.. Odd, I play with the standard controls, nothing custom, tap jump is on.
And I do..
Dash -> C-Stick Down -> Analog Up + A.. but doing Dacus for me is irrelevant now, I just BDacus instead.

And Cork, what Drew said is right. You should focus more on his basic movements, and techniques, like Short Hop Laser/ Short Hop Double Laser. Spacing his moves properly. Rather than trying to learn his advanced techniques. And to be honest.. Dacus becomes pointless when you learn BDacus. ( Which is much more difficult to do ) Anyway! Focus on the basics first, then move on to the advanced.

I predict DEHF will get top 8 as usual, but he won't get top 4. I swear I always see DEHF get 7th-8th place in many nationals.

Blondie.

Smash Journeyman
Me! Haha, not really, but I'm seriously gonna try hard to make it to this as long as it doesn't conflict with school. I've been improving a lot lately and by Apex 2013 I'll have been playing for 1.5 years and I think I can compete on a national level. I'm really hoping to make it to bracket, or at the very least to Pools 2 at this.

Top Bottom