• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Bakery - Realised I can still edit the thread title!

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
Did anyone on here go to fanime this last weekend in San Jose?

I went to my first tourney this weekend (fanime). Wasn't really so much of a tourney as much as getting some friendlies in with some actual competition since I don't have any in my area. Played Sky's Wario a few times, he came across as real cocky and obnoxious at first but ended up having good intentions and had a lot of compliments and advice for me. Also played a diddy that placed 2nd in the tournament and took 3/4 games off him in a money match. Was awesome! Anyways a good friend of mine said he was going to record what he could, so hopefully I have some vids up in the next couple days to get critiqued. I should have a win against that diddy and a loss to Sky's wario if I'm lucky.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I'm on east coast so nope. Good job, you now have your first tourney experience. If you really want to get good, then you should consider attending more tournaments just to feel more comfortable in that sort of environment. Unless you weren't nervous at all.

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
Thanks man, I was for sure nervous when I asked sky to play me friday night knowing he was the #5 wario lol. But I buffer dacused him for a kill and he joked with me that I couldn't be just some random and that he was onto me and I got more comfortable from there. Tourney experience was def. great especially since I had no experience outside of CPU's/bad players... everything I did was based off youtube videos and smashboards so I will credit you guys with the assist haha.

The only problem is getting around to these places that are hours away, especially before the semester ended this last week.

DEHF

Smash Champion
NNID
larrlurr
Making me hyped to enter! I may try to. If so, ill just make sure a Shiek isn't in my pool this time.
Seed me against all the Olimars, even Nietono. I can take him this time guys!! :smirk:

Why did I quote Keitaro's comment LOL...

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
Went to a tournament last Saturday after like 5 months lol.

(My last tournament was Apex)

Placed 9th out of 26, I believe. I lost to Seibrik in Winners and Shaky in Losers, but both sets could have gone either way, so it's good to know I have a chance of beating either of them. They're both so good @-@

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not entirely horrible rofl. I might get back into this game again.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Glutonny.

I guess he's gonna need some training this time, since it won't be as free as french tourneys.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
I'd love to play him and get a taste of some of that European style.

I Dair You

Smash Ace
NNID
mike824
3DS FC
0834-4241-7942
Whats everyones opinion on stage bans? With the current ruleset and stagelist, I believe banning hurts Falco more than it helps him. Imo Falco is much better under the Japanese Ruleset (no janky stages, no neutral stage bans) Lets face it: Falco is the kind of character that outright beats his opponents but usually loses due to gimmicky counterpicks and tactics. Falco's definitely more effective with that guaranteed FD counterpick + the more conservative stage list.The Japanese dont baby their characters by always banning their opponent's best stage... Also, most Japanese tournaments are single elimination. So, its basically adapt or theyre out of the tournament pretty damn fast.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
In Japan, YiB is a Neutral.
The Brawl tourneys are double Elimination.

I'll stick with the normal one, thank you.

SKTAR :( I think it will be a long while before I get around to traveling OoS too far. Funds are quite dried up

At banning: So long as he has access to FD, BF, and SV, I do not see banning as a problem. I've not explored CPs too much for me to really comment on it. I feel certain stages such as Frigate could be great, but you risk being the one to get messed up.

Give me thread title ideas.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
shield sheik's ftilt=profit

but seriously just use an oos attack/grab when sheik ftilts your shield. if they grab they can't ftilt you and you can continue camping.
I need to play that mu more. I feel like what you are saying is a basic approach that can be built upon when dealing with that mu.

I did beat renki a former top five sheik. I lost to scaryLB59 in the same event.

:phone:

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Whats everyones opinion on stage bans? With the current ruleset and stagelist, I believe banning hurts Falco more than it helps him. Imo Falco is much better under the Japanese Ruleset (no janky stages, no neutral stage bans) Lets face it: Falco is the kind of character that outright beats his opponents but usually loses due to gimmicky counterpicks and tactics. Falco's definitely more effective with that guaranteed FD counterpick + the more conservative stage list.The Japanese dont baby their characters by always banning their opponent's best stage... Also, most Japanese tournaments are single elimination. So, its basically adapt or theyre out of the tournament pretty damn fast.
I pretty much agree with everything you have to say about the stageset. Not just for Falco, but for competitive Brawl in general, I think fewer, more balanced stages would be a good thing. My crew hasn't been playing on counterpicks or Castle Siege/Lylat all that much lately because stages like that are annoying to play on at times, and they take away from competitive play. It would be nice if tournaments started using a setup similar to what SKTAR is going to do this summer. Less crazy stages do a lot to create a much more fair environment IMO. Imagine the feeling of losing grand finals because of a stage like Rainbow Cruise on game 5 because your opponent has a pocket character that handles the stage much better than Falco. If game 5 was played on Smashville, you can't help but feel as a player that the ending could have very well been different. That kind of thing is exactly why I think a lot of the current counterpicks are the opposite of competitive. Stages like Smashville and Battlefield give everyone a fair chance to win with their respective character, while crazy, unfair counterpicks do the opposite.

I understand the purpose of counterpick stages in their current form, but having Yoshi's, Lylat, and PS1 as counterpicks (SKTAR ruleset) is a lot more fair for the whole cast than playing on gimmicky stages. There are still advantages to taking characters to stages like that in particular matchups, but the stages don't do overly too much to affect the gameplay like they currently do. Sure as a Falco player, I'd rather not play on Yoshi's, but thats a whole lot more fair than a Wario or Meta Knight taking me to RC.

If the stage list was changed to something that was smaller and more balanced, it would help Falco out a lot...

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
God, but your outlook is horribly stilted by character bias.

FD, Smashville, Halberd, BF, and Frigate are probably Falco's best stages. It would have to be a pretty janky MU or a player based CP to pick anything out of those five.

SKTAR :( I think it will be a long while before I get around to traveling OoS too far. Funds are quite dried up

At banning: So long as he has access to FD, BF, and SV, I do not see banning as a problem. I've not explored CPs too much for me to really comment on it. I feel certain stages such as Frigate could be great, but you risk being the one to get messed up.

Give me thread title ideas.
Here's a man who thinks!

I pretty much agree with everything you have to say about the stageset. Not just for Falco, but for competitive Brawl in general, I think fewer, more balanced stages would be a good thing. My crew hasn't been playing on counterpicks or Castle Siege/Lylat all that much lately because stages like that are annoying to play on at times, and they take away from competitive play. It would be nice if tournaments started using a setup similar to what SKTAR is going to do this summer. Less crazy stages do a lot to create a much more fair environment IMO. Imagine the feeling of losing grand finals because of a stage like Rainbow Cruise on game 5 because your opponent has a pocket character that handles the stage much better than Falco. If game 5 was played on Smashville, you can't help but feel as a player that the ending could have very well been different. That kind of thing is exactly why I think a lot of the current counterpicks are the opposite of competitive. Stages like Smashville and Battlefield give everyone a fair chance to win with their respective character, while crazy, unfair counterpicks do the opposite.

I understand the purpose of counterpick stages in their current form, but having Yoshi's, Lylat, and PS1 as counterpicks (SKTAR ruleset) is a lot more fair for the whole cast than playing on gimmicky stages. There are still advantages to taking characters to stages like that in particular matchups, but the stages don't do overly too much to affect the gameplay like they currently do. Sure as a Falco player, I'd rather not play on Yoshi's, but thats a whole lot more fair than a Wario or Meta Knight taking me to RC.

If the stage list was changed to something that was smaller and more balanced, it would help Falco out a lot...
What? Dude, how would you feel if you played Wario and you lost game 5 because your opponent had a pocket D3 that handled Smashville better than you. Rainbow Cruise is a completely mechanical stage and has far less random factor than Smashville. It's also probably less polarizing than FD.

Please explain to me how restricting game one to a Falco friendly stage is creating a "more fair environment."

As for the last sentence, that's common sense, bro. If the stage list were more Falco friendly, Falco would benefit. Yes, this is true. But that doesn't make it more balanced by any stretch of the imagination.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
Ryker i agree with everything you posted pretty much.

Except that RC is far less random then SV. Neither stage is random they are equal in this element.

I find that the moving platform on SV is broken. It makes SV a terrible stage imo.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I need to play that mu more. I feel like what you are saying is a basic approach that can be built upon when dealing with that mu.

I did beat renki a former top five sheik. I lost to scaryLB59 in the same event.

:phone:
One set you had me coaching you. One you didn't...

Coincidence?! :smirk:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
It's not my lack of knowledge of the english language. It happens a bunch when i'm on a keyboard for w/e reason. Not with pen and paper though...never can figure out why haha.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Except that RC is far less random then SV. Neither stage is random they are equal in this element.

I find that the moving platform on SV is broken. It makes SV a terrible stage imo.
The side that the platform starts on is randomized. The direction of matches can definitely be determined by the platform starting on the wrong side.

SN Viper

Formerly 9th in FL PR
The side that the platform starts on is randomized. The direction of matches can definitely be determined by the platform starting on the wrong side.
during the count down you can see exactly where the platform is. It eliminates the surprise factor. When you put it that way SV is ever so slightly more random then RC

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
What? Dude, how would you feel if you played Wario and you lost game 5 because your opponent had a pocket D3 that handled Smashville better than you. Rainbow Cruise is a completely mechanical stage and has far less random factor than Smashville. It's also probably less polarizing than FD.

Please explain to me how restricting game one to a Falco friendly stage is creating a "more fair environment."

As for the last sentence, that's common sense, bro. If the stage list were more Falco friendly, Falco would benefit. Yes, this is true. But that doesn't make it more balanced by any stretch of the imagination.
Since the other guy didn't respond to this I guess I will...

You mentioned in your post that "what if you lost to a DDD who handled smashville better than I do?" That is a flawed argument when comparing it to RC, because smashville as a stage is not nearly as difficult for some characters to maneuver as RC. Ok, the DDD plays smashville better than you did, that is more-so the players fault than the stages fault. A character can only dominate so hard on a neutral stage - this is why they are neutral, versus a counter-pick as polarizing as RC. Just because RC doesn't have the "random factor" of smashville (debatable) doesn't mean that it's mechanical layout is taken advantage of less.

As for a list being more "Falco friendly", it is not necessarily about Falco. A stagelist (IMO) should be more skill friendly, giving no advantage to the player who can take advantage of a stage rather than skill. While it is impossible to take character strengths and weaknesses out of counter picks, there is no reason it should be to the level that RC does. IMO there should not be a near auto-lose counter pick such as playing a MK or Wario on RC, especially considering the far more balanced "counterpicks" available that do not make a character unplayable. There is a difference between Falco friendly and competition friendly stagelists, and while falco may have an advantage over some characters on neutral stages, that is more likely because he is a better character and not the fault of the stage.

Playing a stage like RC is unhealthy for the game in the long run and there is a reason that throughout the life of brawl, stages such as RC have become more and more uncommon. They promote gimmick strategy that takes advantage of not a players lack of skill, but instead character limitation that does not exist on any other legal stage. Stage counterpicks were designed to give one player a slight advantage over the other based off player preference and taking advantage of certain character strengths and weaknesses... and while RC does this, it does it at a level more extreme than any other legal stage. And rather than just promoting an advantage for one player/character over another, it acts as an un-winnable situation for certain matchups.

Any stage which makes a character unplayable should not be legal. An IC's main might counterpick Wario to final D 100% of the time, but is that because final D is a stage that makes Wario generally unplayable? No. Bad for Wario maybe because his strengths do not correspond to to Final D, but not to the point where picking final D means you can't play Wario. That is the point of a counterpick. A Wario might counterpick IC's to RC 100% of the time, but is that because RC is a stage that makes IC's generally unplayable? Yes. IC's are not just damaged by the stage, but damaged to the point where you really just can't pick them to play on RC in general at all. Is counterpicking really meant to discredit entire characters or to provide an advantage for a matchup? As I said, IMO, no character should be forced to switch characters because of a stage. A matchup they don't like such as a falco main using a pocket ZSS against IC's.... sure, that is the players skill of knowing another character. I can understand switching characters because you don't like a character matchup. A player switching characters because a certain stage is legal and his character cannot abuse it.... that is not a broadcast of player skill or character matchup... simply 100% stage abuse.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
during the count down you can see exactly where the platform is. It eliminates the surprise factor. When you put it that way SV is ever so slightly more random then RC
Surprise means nothing when you simply don't have the option for positioning.

Oh man, oh man. Someone willing to argue with me. The rest of you may want to come back to the thread in a week or so.

You mentioned in your post that "what if you lost to a DDD who handled smashville better than I do?" That is a flawed argument when comparing it to RC, because smashville as a stage is not nearly as difficult for some characters to maneuver as RC. Ok, the DDD plays smashville better than you did, that is more-so the players fault than the stages fault. A character can only dominate so hard on a neutral stage - this is why they are neutral, versus a counter-pick as polarizing as RC. Just because RC doesn't have the "random factor" of smashville (debatable) doesn't mean that it's mechanical layout is taken advantage of less.
Bull and ****. Smashville is every bit as polarizing as RCruise if not more. Falco, ICs, Snake, D3, Diddy, Tink, and MK can all turn that stage into for most other characters unless the MU is specifically terrible. Meanwhile characters such as MK, Wario, G&W, Kirby, and Jiggz do it on RCruise. Olimar and Ivysaur are basically the only characters who have a significant issue dealing with RCruise and Ivysaur is the only one who has any real issues on it when they aren't playing against one of the five above mentioned characters.

Wario vs. D3 is a stage based almost solely in stages and is why I picked it. It's no fault of the player that Smashville is a polarizing stage. What fault of the player is it that the stage is a large flat area where you are forced to play with limited variables in terms of stage layout.

As for a list being more "Falco friendly", it is not necessarily about Falco. A stagelist (IMO) should be more skill friendly, giving no advantage to the player who can take advantage of a stage rather than skill. While it is impossible to take character strengths and weaknesses out of counter picks, there is no reason it should be to the level that RC does. IMO there should not be a near auto-lose counter pick such as playing a MK or Wario on RC, especially considering the far more balanced "counterpicks" available that do not make a character unplayable. There is a difference between Falco friendly and competition friendly stagelists, and while falco may have an advantage over some characters on neutral stages, that is more likely because he is a better character and not the fault of the stage.
A stagelist will artificially buff certain characters, it's how the game works. A large stage list allows a larger cast of characters to be viable. The fact is, you don't like the current stagelist and you want it to buff other characters who thrive on more basic stages because you are plagued with a misconception that it takes more skill to win there

You're ****ing high if you think that a more "neutral" focused stagelist is balanced. ICs vs. half the cast on Smashville is worse than Falco/MK or (especially) Wario on RCruise.

You realize that you say it's probably because the character is better when how good a character is is heavily dependent on the stagelist. You act as if good and bad are things that aren't affected by the environment they're in. Cut that out.

Playing a stage like RC is unhealthy for the game in the long run and there is a reason that throughout the life of brawl, stages such as RC have become more and more uncommon. They promote gimmick strategy that takes advantage of not a players lack of skill, but instead character limitation that does not exist on any other legal stage. Stage counterpicks were designed to give one player a slight advantage over the other based off player preference and taking advantage of certain character strengths and weaknesses... and while RC does this, it does it at a level more extreme than any other legal stage. And rather than just promoting an advantage for one player/character over another, it acts as an un-winnable situation for certain matchups.
What? Define "gimmicky." I mean, are ICs unhealthy to the game in the long run because they run a gimmicky strategy in every MU they play?

You are ****ing ******** if you believe the crap you're spewing about why stage CPs were instituted. Smash has a variable that other fighters do not and that is differing stages. Stage counterpicks were instituted so that the artificial buff from stagelists did not benefit certain characters much more than others.

You're also ******** if you think RC is more polarizing that Brinstar, FD, or YI. Try playing D3/DK on FD. Try playing Snake vs. G&W on Smashville. Try playing against Sonic or DK on YI. Try playing MK vs. the entire cast on Brinstar.

Any stage which makes a character unplayable should not be legal. An IC's main might counterpick Wario to final D 100% of the time, but is that because final D is a stage that makes Wario generally unplayable? No. Bad for Wario maybe because his strengths do not correspond to to Final D, but not to the point where picking final D means you can't play Wario. That is the point of a counterpick. A Wario might counterpick IC's to RC 100% of the time, but is that because RC is a stage that makes IC's generally unplayable? Yes. IC's are not just damaged by the stage, but damaged to the point where you really just can't pick them to play on RC in general at all. Is counterpicking really meant to discredit entire characters or to provide an advantage for a matchup? As I said, IMO, no character should be forced to switch characters because of a stage. A matchup they don't like such as a falco main using a pocket ZSS against IC's.... sure, that is the players skill of knowing another character. I can understand switching characters because you don't like a character matchup. A player switching characters because a certain stage is legal and his character cannot abuse it.... that is not a broadcast of player skill or character matchup... simply 100% stage abuse.
RCruise does not make any character unplayable. No character lacks the movement capabilities to satisfactorily navigate the stage. Everything past that is based on MUs.

You claim that the stage invalidates characters. Give me examples that don't include extreme MUs. Talk to me about Falco vs. Diddy on RCruise. Snake and Marth. Toon Link and Wolf. Luigi and Sheik. There are bad MUs on every stage that should be a free CP 100% of the time, but RCruise is not a stage that invalidates characters as a whole, especially in an environment with a stage ban.

clowsui

Smash Legend
what makes stage abuse any less acceptable of a tactic lol

it's not like these types of tactics have any less "depth" to them

let the game prove itself to be what it is. if it so happens that there's a cheap tactic, then you gotta outcheap them or deal with it. no johns

SombreroJon

Smash Cadet
what makes stage abuse any less acceptable of a tactic lol

it's not like these types of tactics have any less "depth" to them

let the game prove itself to be what it is. if it so happens that there's a cheap tactic, then you gotta outcheap them or deal with it. no johns
You know what else is in the game that is cheap? Items. But those got banned for obvious reasons. I'm not saying not to abuse RC if it IS legal, I am asking if it should be legal. You can abuse other stages like Japes, Norfair, Brinstar, but they are deemed "a cheap tactic" and therefore got banned. Planking was also determined to be a cheap tactic and was banned. Having the ability to choose RC against a character whose physics cannot handle the stage is just as "cheap" as any of the above. And considering my name is Jon, there are no "John"'s here ;)

Surprise means nothing when you simply don't have the option for positioning.

Oh man, oh man. Someone willing to argue with me. The rest of you may want to come back to the thread in a week or so.
Man oh man this is what I like to hear.

Bull and ****. Smashville is every bit as polarizing as RCruise if not more. Falco, ICs, Snake, D3, Diddy, Tink, and MK can all turn that stage into for most other characters unless the MU is specifically terrible. Meanwhile characters such as MK, Wario, G&W, Kirby, and Jiggz do it on RCruise. Olimar and Ivysaur are basically the only characters who have a significant issue dealing with RCruise and Ivysaur is the only one who has any real issues on it when they aren't playing against one of the five above mentioned characters.

Wario vs. D3 is a stage based almost solely in stages and is why I picked it. It's no fault of the player that Smashville is a polarizing stage. What fault of the player is it that the stage is a large flat area where you are forced to play with limited variables in terms of stage layout.
You call bull**** on me for saying RC is a polarizing stage? Give me a break. Characters having plus matchups on smashville is not because the opponent cannot handle the stage, but because it provides a boost to the character choosing it. There is no character who cannot handle smashville the way in which Ivy/Oli/IC's/Peach/Falco/etc. cannot handle RC.

A stagelist will artificially buff certain characters, it's how the game works. A large stage list allows a larger cast of characters to be viable. The fact is, you don't like the current stagelist and you want it to buff other characters who thrive on more basic stages because you are plagued with a misconception that it takes more skill to win there

You're ****ing high if you think that a more "neutral" focused stagelist is balanced. ICs vs. half the cast on Smashville is worse than Falco/MK or (especially) Wario on RCruise.

You realize that you say it's probably because the character is better when how good a character is is heavily dependent on the stagelist. You act as if good and bad are things that aren't affected by the environment they're in. Cut that out.
By your logic of expanding stages to make more characters viable, why would stages be banned in the first place? A stage that used to be legal-ish like Jungle Japes would give characters like DK, Kirby, Lucario, and yes Falco a counterpick that invalidates certain characters, so why is it banned if it would balance matchups for some characters? Or even Norfair buffing people like Ike, Captain Falcon, and Gannondorf, should it be legal because it makes more of the cast viable? There is a limit to opening up the stagelist, and the fact is RC remains the only stage that is basically impossible for some characters.

I do not deny that just how good a character is is affected by the stagelist, although I do think you are overstating the difference, but there is a difference between a stage that helps on character and a stage that invalidates another.

What? Define "gimmicky." I mean, are ICs unhealthy to the game in the long run because they run a gimmicky strategy in every MU they play?
I never said IC's aren't unhealthy for the game in the long run. They are gimicky yes, but even then the difference is that IC's making other characters unplayable is based on character matchup, versus RC making other characters unplayable because of stage matchups. Should SSB or any other fighting game be decided more by character matchup or stage matchup?

You are ****ing ******** if you believe the crap you're spewing about why stage CPs were instituted. Smash has a variable that other fighters do not and that is differing stages. Stage counterpicks were instituted so that the artificial buff from stagelists did not benefit certain characters much more than others.

You're also ******** if you think RC is more polarizing that Brinstar, FD, or YI. Try playing D3/DK on FD. Try playing Snake vs. G&W on Smashville. Try playing against Sonic or DK on YI. Try playing MK vs. the entire cast on Brinstar.
I do not think RC is more polarizing than Brinstar. IMO they both should be banned, and at least one of them is (generally). Secondly, you are referring to specific characters taking advantage of stages. I agree that should be part of the game. I will say it now, I have absolutely no problem with Wario or Meta Knight having a stage like RC that benefits them as much as it does! By no means am I saying that there are stages that specific characters don't take advantage of more than others! What i am saying is that RC is the ONLY legal stage that not only benefits one character, but also completely destroys one character at the same time, making it more unbalanced than any of the examples you provided. Wario does not face a large disadvantage on Smashville despite that being somewhere you might take him to. Olimar DOES face a large disadvantage on a stage like RC no matter WHO he plays. So you see the difference?

RCruise does not make any character unplayable. No character lacks the movement capabilities to satisfactorily navigate the stage. Everything past that is based on MUs.
This is obviously where we differ. Many characters (some you even mentioned) simply CANNOT maneuver the stage at the level it requires to win in high level play. What exactly is your definition of satisfactory? Simply being able to jump to every spot throughout the stage? Characters with either limited aerial mobility or a tether recovery simply cannot maneuver RC like other characters can. This is incomparable to a stage like smashville, because RC severely limits character options not simply because of character matchups, but because of character physics.

You claim that the stage invalidates characters. Give me examples that don't include extreme MUs. Talk to me about Falco vs. Diddy on RCruise. Snake and Marth. Toon Link and Wolf. Luigi and Sheik. There are bad MUs on every stage that should be a free CP 100% of the time, but RCruise is not a stage that invalidates characters as a whole, especially in an environment with a stage ban.
Hey, I agree there should be stages that take advantage of character matchups, and should be CP'd for obvious reasons - however I differ as to why certain stages give a character an advantage over another. Should I be able to pick a stage that gives my character an advantage? Sure. Should I be able to pick a stage that makes his character unplayable? No.

Again, this is all IMO, but I will say this. Throughout Brawl's life the stagelists have consistently moved to a more neutral stage list. Even look at Apex this year where Rainbow Cruise was banned for (at least) one of the biggest smash events in history. There is a reason that more stages are allowed in local and sometimes regional play, because they are more fun and less of an indicator of player skill. The larger the tournament setting, typically the more conservative the stage list. And why? Because TO's realize that when you have more people, the only way to remove the "hax" and find the best player is to remove stages like Pictochat, Brinstar (as constant as RC), and yes, Rainbow Cruise.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Man oh man this is what I like to hear.
http://z0r.de/4156

You call bull**** on me for saying RC is a polarizing stage? Give me a break. Characters having plus matchups on smashville is not because the opponent cannot handle the stage, but because it provides a boost to the character choosing it. There is no character who cannot handle smashville the way in which Ivy/Oli/IC's/Peach/Falco/etc. cannot handle RC.
Saying it is more polarizing than FD is what's bull****. If you sincerely think Falco, with his ****ing amazing jump, cannot handle RCruise, you're ********. Not even Ivysaur lacks the ability to traverse RCruise. The only time that any stage provides any character any boost is when he can handle the stage better than his opponent. Characters having plus match-ups on RCruise is not because the opponent can't handle the stage.

By your logic of expanding stages to make more characters viable, why would stages be banned in the first place? A stage that used to be legal-ish like Jungle Japes would give characters like DK, Kirby, Lucario, and yes Falco a counterpick that invalidates certain characters, so why is it banned if it would balance matchups for some characters? Or even Norfair buffing people like Ike, Captain Falcon, and Gannondorf, should it be legal because it makes more of the cast viable? There is a limit to opening up the stagelist, and the fact is RC remains the only stage that is basically impossible for some characters.
Japes should be legal. Norfair should CERTAINLY be legal in an MK banned environment and should probably be legal in an MK legal one. Pictochat is borderline and where the line is difficult to draw.

These stages are banned due to people not understanding what makes them tick. People are lazy and opening up the stage list affects the established hierarchy of good characters that players seem to think should be unassailable. If you want to use a point like this, you're going to have to argue against the validity of those stages, however, unlike you, I can tell you why every stage should or should not be legal in excruciating detail.

Again, I want to stress that, by your logic, FD should be banned because some characters JUST CAN'T HANDLE IT!

I do not deny that just how good a character is is affected by the stagelist, although I do think you are overstating the difference, but there is a difference between a stage that helps on character and a stage that invalidates another.
Spell it out for me.

I never said IC's aren't unhealthy for the game in the long run. They are gimicky yes, but even then the difference is that IC's making other characters unplayable is based on character matchup, versus RC making other characters unplayable because of stage matchups. Should SSB or any other fighting game be decided more by character matchup or stage matchup?
No, you didn't, but I extended your logic to show you that you've said the same thing.

As to the last sentence, what is the difference in drawing that line? Who gave you the right to pick which is more important?

You sound like a broken record with that unplayable bull****. No character is unplayable on RCruise and the fact that you are demonizing it over Brinstar shows just how little you understand about stages and how they affect the game. Grow up and learn the stage.

I do not think RC is more polarizing than Brinstar. IMO they both should be banned, and at least one of them is (generally). Secondly, you are referring to specific characters taking advantage of stages. I agree that should be part of the game. I will say it now, I have absolutely no problem with Wario or Meta Knight having a stage like RC that benefits them as much as it does! By no means am I saying that there are stages that specific characters don't take advantage of more than others! What i am saying is that RC is the ONLY legal stage that not only benefits one character, but also completely destroys one character at the same time, making it more unbalanced than any of the examples you provided. Wario does not face a large disadvantage on Smashville despite that being somewhere you might take him to. Olimar DOES face a large disadvantage on a stage like RC no matter WHO he plays. So you see the difference?
Brinstar - Destroys Falco as badly as RCruise destroys Olimar. Olimar does not face a large disadvantage by inherently playing on the stage. He is forced out of his traditional play style similarly to how Falco is forced to abandon a lot of his game plan on Brinstar.

FD - Destroys Jiggz, G&W, and Wario in much the same way. Without platforms, they are forced to play the horizontal spacing game and lose much of their ability to pressure and safely land.

This is obviously where we differ. Many characters (some you even mentioned) simply CANNOT maneuver the stage at the level it requires to win in high level play. What exactly is your definition of satisfactory? Simply being able to jump to every spot throughout the stage? Characters with either limited aerial mobility or a tether recovery simply cannot maneuver RC like other characters can. This is incomparable to a stage like smashville, because RC severely limits character options not simply because of character matchups, but because of character physics.
Oh, so you're just ********. That clears that up.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A CHARACTER HAVING A DISADVANTAGE BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO JUMP VERSUS A CHARACTER HAVING A DISADVANTAGE BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOWHERE TO JUMP!?

(Hint: The answer is nothing but aesthetics.)

Hey, I agree there should be stages that take advantage of character matchups, and should be CP'd for obvious reasons - however I differ as to why certain stages give a character an advantage over another. Should I be able to pick a stage that gives my character an advantage? Sure. Should I be able to pick a stage that makes his character unplayable? No.
Then you are uneducated on the subject and your opinion is wrong. You fail to recognize that you are damning a different set of characters with your analysis simply because you think it looks better when they are losing.

Again, this is all IMO, but I will say this. Throughout Brawl's life the stagelists have consistently moved to a more neutral stage list. Even look at Apex this year where Rainbow Cruise was banned for (at least) one of the biggest smash events in history. There is a reason that more stages are allowed in local and sometimes regional play, because they are more fun and less of an indicator of player skill. The larger the tournament setting, typically the more conservative the stage list. And why? Because TO's realize that when you have more people, the only way to remove the "hax" and find the best player is to remove stages like Pictochat, Brinstar (as constant as RC), and yes, Rainbow Cruise.
If you're going to try and pretend that saying "IMO" will get you out, shut up and leave without trying to have the last word.

Brawl's life has moved toward a stagelist geared toward being able to keep MK legal by artificially buffing the characters who do the best against him. Large scale events trend toward conservative stagelists because they want international attendance and are scared it won't come without MK. The cost of keeping him legal is too high. Competitively, the game is better without him and with more stages.

Take your unfounded statements and get out of my sight.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher

This is one of my favorite posts on Smashboards. Well worded, thought out, and true in my eyes. Thank you sir.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
The intent of what I was trying to say in my first post was that I'm in favor of a smaller stage list regardless of what stages are legal. I don't actually mind playing as Falco on RC at all, but I do think that the IC's can't cope with the stage. I have heard of IC mains that would forefit game 2 without playing it just because they hate RC and then play game 3, but thats somewhat besides the point.

I'd personally like to play on the SKTAR list or something close to it, but I'll play whatever. I think that there are a few too many stages right now though as it stands. With too many stages, it leads to more people not playing their mains in matches, and this has the potential to take away hype.

Anyway, while we're discussing stages, what do you guys think about Distant Planet? I know it likely wouldn't ever become a legal stage, but I like playing on it...

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
I agree with everything Ryker had said.. with the Exception of Norfair being legal in any environment.

I'd prefer Picto Chat to be legal over Norfair.

kismet2

Smash Ace
trying to catch someone on a single platform that moves back and forth compared to chasing someone throughout the whole level that's really big...yeah i think it's obvious which is better lol

platform camping isn't even hard to get around if you know how to take advantage of reflector and uair, double jumping over them and dairing is amazing too.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
No one's arguing about what's better for Falco. It's talking about general game theory in regard to stages.

Braid looks like a fun game. Reminds me of this one game I saw that the entire world was in a silhouette, but I cannot remember what the name of it was.

Top Bottom