• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Can anyone shuffle Djc-fairs backwards across FD consistently? I use Z for my djc and Ill say that **** is kinda trying to go backwards, although I can bair uair and nair.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Just a matter of practice, isn't it? The only reason why it's harder than DJC'ed fairs moving forward is because you have to move the analog stick from back to front quickly ... but the timing isn't too bad.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Got a few more matches with my mewtwo recorded and was looking for some critique, figured I'd just post here instead of starting a new thread/necro-bumping my old one. Anyway, all comments/criticisms are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7uhas4_jw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0AHb-ane0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGT1MAjjAA

There are a few more on my channel if anyone feels like watching them.

Can anyone shuffle Djc-fairs backwards across FD consistently? I use Z for my djc and Ill say that **** is kinda trying to go backwards, although I can bair uair and nair.
I can, but I claw, which makes it significantly easier to do since it lets me use the c-stick for the aerial. Can't do it at all without clawing :dizzy:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
aight so this means me lol. ill respond with full critique within a few days.

yea, c stick is whats legit. im trying to get faster from a normal grip so I can do it. maybe ill grow some shadow balls and just practice and do it with Z.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Match 3- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7uhas4_jw
Early on you had some movement issues, that slow turn around thing and WD as your initial step when in close proximity. you should use dash because you still have options during the startup.

For the next lil bit you were pretty solid. You had some nice tech chases and good reads. Around 1:10 you went for that fair to uair. You were a bit late on the fair. The safer option is just nairing from underneath, but if you are looking for something hella pro: Jump, and when you get just above the platform double jump fair and L cancel. It would be like you did an instant djc on the ground, except you do it from the platform. You will have more time/oppurtunity to get a good followup from that.

In general its pretty bad to try to nair an opponent who is below you. You did this while standing on the platform and you ate sheiks bair. This is gonna happen almost every time. So stay away from those, you will take damage that you dont need to.

Missed an easy punish at 1:31. uptilt, djc uair, nair, bair would all have been acceptable. You typically want to face the inside of the stage when punishing platform shenanigans. You keep all of your options open this way. Basically you add the entire length of the platform to your zone because you can bair as well. Reverse uair is also **** with sweetspots(just below the tip/bulb of the tail)

I actually liked your Djc-fair tech chase, I could tell that one was done with the claw, or you are weird and DI funny lol.

Be weary about WDing in to sheik thats just spamming tilts. Grab isnt usually the best punish for that. Go for the dtilt because it has more range and you will CC at the same time.

Disable from the ledge on a stage thats not usualy a good idea at all, but I still do it, its just one of those things. Protip:you have to land normally from disable if you want to reactivate that boost you get from it. Thats why you died when you did it from the ledge. A WD counts as jumping and then landing normally. If you ask I can give you a couple tricks with the non boosted disable, but they are still just tricks.

Work on your DI, tech skill, and speed. Mainly transitioning from 1 part of your game to another, or being able to switch between offense and defense in a flash. Work on your oos options and your djc should be cleaner. Your m2 is solid, but you play a bit slow. Your opponent also seems to be worse than you but a large enough margin that its noticeable.

Match 4- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0AHb-ane0
For starters, you need to DI out of sheiks garbage a little better. The first big mistake you made was you tried to bair sheik at 28%. Thats not going to do anything, and its gonna make you take damage.

First stock was really solid. I personally like to throw a sb or two when they are far away, or hover out there a little bit just to provide mental pressure. What you did was boring but not anything wrong with it. Good tech chases and solid edgeguarding.

Confusion from the ledge :( you pretty much put yourself in a bad position by doing that. They become invincible, are holding the ledge, you are below them fairly close to the stage. Its just not something you want to focus on.

I like that you do nairs and instinctively shoot a sb to chase. You should work on mixing in more DI with those nairs to give yourself more space or to be in a better position to follow up with an upexpected attack(you would be closer). It wouldnt hurt if you were a bit faster with the sbs as well.

know your kill percents. If you are close to the kill percent and your opponent normally DIs the upthrow correctly-you should backthrow or down throw. Ive been told perfect DI for upthrow is towards m2s back, so If they normally do that or you think that they will, you can downthrow or backthrow. Either they will miss the DI on the back throw or DI a downthrow incorrectly. That gets you a sweet spot uair or a fair for the kill. should be an easy edgeguard with backthrow.

Last stock- dont be afraid to contest sheik offstage. Its fairly easy for her to fair you but you can bait that as well. Just know that m2 can return from sheiks fair every single time unless it kills you, you can make it back from any distance. If she fairs you from the far right side offstage-you should live for sure. It can be in your benefit to try to **** up her recovery or get some extradamage. Try bair uair bair or use nair and DI towards the stage, or come from below with a reverse uair. Sbs are always an option.

Match 5- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KGT1MAjjAA
Again, watch with rushing into sheiks tilts. They are super spammable and mad stupid.

Around 29 seconds you try to nair sheik off the ledge. A better option is to stomp the nair right at the edge and ledge cancel, that leaves you with a bair that will knock her off if she sits there or the nair will still hit in which case you can uair. Its risky at low percents but sometimes its worth it. Depends on how confident you are.

Watch those teleports, we all make mistakes tho, but its crucial to be consistent with teleport. Its a small margin between success and error when it comes to those.

That fair oos at 1 08 was terrible. Dont ever do that again lol. Sheik was already spaced in her attacks, you have no range. you were asking to get punished against a better player.

I tend to jump when I shoot sbs, its mainly that the height is harder to deal with and I can keep momentum while doing it. You have to do a super short hop and you actually can cover ground a bit faster than shooting in the air/ground and dashing or wding.

Good**** on the nair bair off the stage. be ready for the tech but still good****.

You both shielded for a second, try to be the one that reacts faster, no big deal tho. Rolling back is an option, but sheik can prob punish that with needles. A few percent is better than throw to death move tho.

Got greedy on that nair to uair I think haha. whatever.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE-too many Sds off teleports.

Sweet ledge cancel nair tech chase! When sheik was on the platform, I think djc uair would have been better because it covers more ground and could still leave enough time to punish the roll.

You already know what I think about ur last stock lol.

Overall, its hard to get a read on your skill level. You make a lot of mistakes, but you show alot of promise. I watched a few of your other matches as well just to see the variance. Some of the stuff you did around a year ago looked better and some looked worse. Id like to see some recent matches of you verses a better opponent. That sheik was too timid and couldnt apply any real sort of pressure. Only seemed close because you were a bit reckless at times.

Put some time into tightening up your tech skill and I think your m2 will be legit. If you have any more question or want more critique just ask.

taj, kaostar mentions you like twice every time i see him. just sayin.

why would you give advice in a color thats obnoxious to read? what a waste lol.

Denthorn

Smash Cadet
Holy crap man, didn't expect anyone would give me that much critique lol, thanks. And yeah I definitely need to rework my tech skill, played brawl for a short while a few months back and it completely killed my tech skill :urg:.

In regards to my opponent, unfortunately he's pretty much the best person around here I can regularly play with. Most of the people around here don't really take the game very seriously at all. I'll see if I can get my recording setup running at a smeshfest or tourney sometime soon and get a set or two recorded against some better opponents though. Just need to find some recording software that will run on windows 7 and not slap watermarks all over the screen. Hopefully by then I'll be able to not repeatedly kill myself with teleport lol. Thanks again for the critique man.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Liking it SB ^^ change that intro tho lol, spring time effect in the background =p with the trees, but it's all good i'm diggin it

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@denthorn-no problem lol.

I will say that if its for critiques, you don't have to worry about the watermark. as long as I can see the vid its not a problem.

id like to see more matches from you if possible.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I want to see how consistent Denthorn's tech chases are when his opponents don't always tech in by the ledge. :p

You're not bad, but your opponent was pretty bleh.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Liking it SB ^^ change that intro tho lol, spring time effect in the background =p with the trees, but it's all good i'm diggin it
thanks. seems you're the only one who likes it though. >_< makes me suspect that you're just being nice.

and hey, i had to make the intro unique somehow, and the song has crickets at the beginning. :laugh:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I'm really not just being nice, from what the last video you sent out, this one really isn't as bad, as most might be saying it is.... Yes even though it's true your opponents might not be too bright, etc, it doesn't change the fact that the combo video trailer itself is much better than your last project...which is what I'm basing it off of right now at the moment..

So really good job for now, however do consider everyone's advice and do continue to develop your game and play better people as well, you might lose more than normal.. but all of us Mewtwo's went through that process.. =)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Lets be honest here. I dont get *****, but m2 still does a lot of local losing. All my friends learned smash against the two and right now Im feeling like a failure against falcon, just out of practice really.

you never really lose it against floaties, just go into focus mode, and I been playing hella spacies.

Lets be honest here. I dont get *****, but m2 still does a lot of local losing. All my friends learned smash against the two and right now Im feeling like a failure against falcon, just out of practice really.

you never really lose it against floaties, just go into focus mode, and I been playing hella spacies.
i **** you.

edit: come over

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys I'll like to discuss something that I don't see us Mewtwos' doing.
-What I'll like to discuss about this is at the bottom.

So last night I was bored and I went to training mode to hopefully discover something new for my Mewtwo. I yesterday just realized that the last hit of a fully hopped Nair can combo into a Uair/Fair/Bair/and even somewhat/almost with the Dair, when the opponent is grounded; consecutive hits.
-You can jump cancel a Bair/Fair/Uair/Dair as you descend downwards from the fully hopped Nair.

In training mode I accomplished to do some nice combos that were legit/consecutive hits for the most part.
EX:

On Ganon/C.F.
FH Nair > Fair > Dtilt > Dtilt > Dash Attack > Utilt > Uair > Uair > (turn around) Bair > Bair > Fully
Charged Shadow Ball.

FH Nair > Fair > Dtilt > Dtilt > Fair > Fair > Uair > to what ever else will hopefully still combo to.

FH Nair > Side B > Dtilt > Dtilt > Dthrow > to some type of tech chase.
-Trying to do this set up takes practice to master. The timing is not to hard to master but how you move the joystick(groove it) to the Side B; I find myself doing UpB sometimes from the FHd Nair.
-Yes this can combo.

On Doc/Marth/Peach
FH Nair > Down B/Side B
-2/3 hits depending if you use D-B or S-B
-OH yeah, did I mention that this sends them the F*** OUT =D !!!

Some of these combos will also work on Fox/Falco and quiet a lot of the cast I imagine. I'm just stating some of the characters that this works on cuz I'm too lazy and think that you guys probably think this is nuances because you guys probably see this as not SUPER EFFECTIVE! or SUCCESSFUL.

Well its pretty much just a way so that you can combo into a Fair or Down B/Side B; cuz Dtilt to Fair is fun but I want to try something new for my Mewtwo =) ; I'm just hoping it proves to be successful against humans now.
---------
So do you guys think mixing up the types of Nairs like FFd Nairs/Regular Fall Nairs/Semi late Fairs/Short Hopped Nairs will help the success of getting to combo from a Nair?

When should I use it?
-The best situation probably is when someone is doing a get up attack I think. When else? Do you think we can just tell when it is safe to try for it?

On which characters do you see this most useful and on which ones not.
---------
Nair is Mewtwo's most reliable move/attack for being offensive/comboing. If this is new, and turns to be quiet successful, will it do anything to better Mewtwo and prove that Mewtwo doesn't suck but that all the people who don't use him or have given up on him or don't even try to bother on exploring all possible potentials of his, are the ones who suck?
---------
LOLOLOLOLOL!!! There is a nine on my time =D !!! My clock lol.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
when you say "combo" do you mean the counter. or just you hit them. most likely you still get hit over extending yourself.
Hmm I think your referring to the Side B right? Like Falling Nair to Side B.

I do think I'll be hit from doing the side B sometimes after the falling Nair but not as much as apposed to a clear-eyed thrown confusion on someone(just coming up in front and doing confusion).
-I think the opponent will be thrown off a bit by the last hit of Nair since its fast and knocks them pretty far(or so they think) so they will think that nothing else will link up to that . They won't see the confusion coming up next nor probably will think it will connect from the last hit of the falling Nair(thus reducing getting hit because of the surprise factor).

The surprise factor being that you can link a confusion after the last hit of a falling Nair.

^I don't see this set up to reliable due to the somewhat risk of still being hit from doing confusion. There are better and more reliable follow ups that can be done from a last hit Falling Nair and that are more rewarding; I mentioned some combos on my last post.
---------

Well this is pretty fresh from the Mewtwo lab so as always don't bash this idea to much than it should guys!

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
You can djc all moves except nair backwards pretty easily with jump (y), jump (control stick up), c stick fair

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I was talking about your other ones mainly. I ruled the confusion out because its punishable everytime on reaction.

I meant like nair to bair, nair to fair, nair to uair. did they combo in practice mode. I usually just nair into grab whenever I can get it, but most often I nair into sb. Its my way of keeping some pressure on em when I release them from nair. I like to tech chase platform techs from nair with fcSB.

@taj-against DI away/mix Ive been having amazing success with that upthrow fair regrab, upthrow uair regrab>more ****. I still dont have a fix for neutral DI and SDI the fair kinda bs.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
About the other set ups. Yeah they combo/are consecutive hits in training mode. On the characters I mentioned that they work on.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Id like to see video if possible, in practice mode.

my edumacated guess is that these wont combo when they DI away. Which is universal m2 DI.

But its hard to visualize combos that are unortho because if they arent being done the assumption after ten years is they dont work.

I dont necessarily agree and am always open for experimentation.

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
hey Taj, Mewtwo became my favorite player before 1 week. I'd appreciate if you gave me some extra tips about Mewtwo (apart from what you've written so far). I also have a friend who uses mr.game and watch, he is a noob, actually. Doesn't know anything about wavedashing, l-cancelling etc. he thinks that i play unfair when i use those techinques. Especially edgeguarding. He spams the forward smash all the time, and when i try to approach him from the air he uses either nair or fair. Of course i can beat him, but he's so annoying. For example: i have 100% damage from his one and only spam, i kill him, he comes at me with the invincibility frames, he spams once again and kills me. Then he says i beat u loser or something like that. I would like some tips for being annoying to him (as a revenge).

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
Id like to see video if possible, in practice mode.

my edumacated guess is that these wont combo when they DI away. Which is universal m2 DI.

But its hard to visualize combos that are unortho because if they arent being done the assumption after ten years is they dont work.

I dont necessarily agree and am always open for experimentation.
Yup Yup, gotcha.

I'm guessing the best set up that will probably not be influenced much by DI is the Nair to Bair set up. Then it will be Nair to Uair> Nair to Fair.

I won't record probably. I'll be able to again pretty soon though; upgrading.

To bad my friend didn't feel likeo smashing today. I'll tell everyone whats up on Thursday. I'll be playing with two of my friends that day; they are good so if these set ups work on them, then they are combos for sure; legit.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
@Kaostar- I'm sure at some point we've both had the end of neutral air to combo into an aerial. I don't think I've ever got extended combos because of the actual stage positioning, but I'm pretty sure I at least got neutral air > up air > back air recorded against someone. I don't remember if it was on Kage or someone else though.

At the end of a neutral air, we either tend to neutral air again or throw out an aerial to cover us naturally. I think that's what The Prophet is talking about if I'm reading this correctly.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea thats probably it. Sometimes those natural reactions...seem to only get remembered when playing. You ****ing did amazingly well at APex btw. but I wasnt actually all that surprised, Idk I guess I just expect more out of m2 than alot of ppl.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Taj got 17th which is good, but I feel like he could've placed higher. Whatever though. Taj is still one of the most amazing dudes in the universe :)

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
@Taj: Well its because we like the challenge but, thank you for entertaining me with your performance at Apex.

-Lol I was chanting: LETS GO TAJ!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CL!! CL!! CLAP!!! LETS GO TAJ!!! CLAP!!! CLAP!!! CL!! CL!! CLAP!!!

-Yes thats exactly what I'm talking about.

@Axe: The same goes to you man =) thank you!

-And yes, I was also cheering for you! I was screaming at some points and yelling into my screen "get F*****UP!!!" "KICK HIS A$$! AXE!!!"
---------
I thought I was going to cancel this smash session today but its still going on so do expect to hear from me today again soon.

-Its 3:30 its time to get dirty! Its 3:30 its time to get dirty! Straight from the streets! Straight from the city! Get dirty! Get dirty!

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
watching that on the livestream was amazing. I love Tony so much. I'm sad that he doesn't come down to Tucson often enough.

Top Bottom