• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Mewtwo can punish small things, but the margin is a lot less forgiving. Often times, you'll even need to just make calls to punish them. Sometimes it takes a preemptive wavedash or an air tight pivot to get the punish. Most of the time, you're not going to get the same opportunities that Marth gets, but Mewtwo has a way creating different and weirder opportunities to punish. It usually revolves around how you shield and wavedash into them. You can often force errors due to his weird height and get shield grabs, or mess people's timing up with his awkward tilt range. Unfortunately, the trade off is that you don't get to hard punish anyone most of the time. You just nickle and dime them until you get your up throw. Unlike Sheik and Falcon, they get big money from their grab game and it is a guaranteed KO on most of the cast at higher percentages.

Milos

Smash Lord
yo taj, do you know how many frames of shield stun mew2's last hit of NAIR has? Wondering if it is 9 or more, because then you could pressure shields with fullhop nair -> instant fair (Soonest actionable frame on nair is 4 frames after the last hitbox comes out, and fair comes out frame 5)

edit - even if it's less than 9 that means Nair can be safe in a lot more situations because if you land that last hit on their shield you can double jump away after 4 frames or teleport etc

Hpnotiq

Smash Cadet
I want to know whats the song by wu tang, i think its in the first shadow claw but with the new music i cant find out

Stijn

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble keeping my double jump while performing the Battlefield glitch. I can always up-B back even if do use my jump, but I feel like that's a risk I shouldn't have to take. What am i doing wrong? Cause sometimes I go up a little by Confusion, and sometimes I fall down fast.

Stijn

Smash Cadet
Confusion only gives that vertical boost once. You have to touch ground again to get that little jump and perform the battlefield glitch. (grabbing ledge isn't enough)
Ah, finally I understand. Same thing as Samus which needs to haxdash for her grapple. I couldn't find a logical explanation lmao

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Random question, but how many frames of lag does Mewtwo have on an aerial landing from Teleport?

I didn't happen to find this bit of information in the frame data thread, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It depends how you land, really, but in general I think you are referring to landing lag.

See normal landing here: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Lag#Landing_lag

It is possible to land in such a way that the game seems to negate landing lag altogether, but I have not seen confirmations as to this being lagless, so until then I'll say that it is virtually lagless.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Speaking of which, I noticed taj was playing mewtwo at a recent AZ smashfest on stream. Is it possible that those games will be uploaded to youtube? (cause my computer hates watching past broadcasts on twitch:p )
I took the liberty to clip together his matches. I might have missed one or two, as that was such a long smashfest, but here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1dv_GjzcsQ

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Currently those videos are unlisted, and they will remain so until I hear from Taj or someone representing the stream that they came from saying it's OK. Taj gave me permission to post them here, because I don't like the idea of posting matches of someone publicly in a thread without messaging them first.

In any case, the M2 forums really needed some new matches. I was getting tired of analysing just M2K's Mewtwo and year old videos of Taj. Speaking of which, I plan on trying to compare/contrast M2K's Mewtwo with Taj's soon.

I would like to somehow get the M2 forums to mirror the Marth forums, as there is a lot of good macro/micro discussions going on there. I think there are more M2 players than there is representation of M2 on the boards, it's just that nobody bothers posting because this place is so dead. It'd be nice to breath some new life in here.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
The green Mewtwo is Dark Dragoon and not me, by the way. I only play for the first couple of matches as the neutral Mewtwo.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The green Mewtwo is Dark Dragoon and not me, by the way. I only play for the first couple of matches as the neutral Mewtwo.
Ahhhh, ok. I thought something was weird there. Like you randomly did really well in some vids and not as great in others. Still, more Mewtwo vids up. I'll edit the videos to reflect this info.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
He should be able to smash DI out of the uair, but you have to DI the throw in order for it to work. Smash DI only works to save you if Fox is forced to jump towards you. This trick works because Fox is moving forward quite fast, and you smash DI backward. That way Fox has moved far enough away from you that the smash DI's slight affect is enough to allow you to escape.

As far as I know, no character can escape and uair uthrow with just smash DI from a non-DIed uthrow.

P.S. In the case of the 20XX hack pack, fox only uair uthrows you if you don't DI. You can't escape these if you don't DI, but you can still practice the smash DI input, and you can see when you did it and when you didn't.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I say "should" because I assume that he does, but I'm not 100% sure. That said, I'm like 95% sure that he will avoid it with proper DI + smash DI. There might be cases where it doesn't work when it otherwise would due to the tail though. If I have time I could take a look at his hurtboxes after I get upthrown from Fox to see what they look like sometime soon'ish, then I could give a more educated response.

Fish&Herbs19

Smash Journeyman
Like how Hungrybox smash DI's the up air's up, I believe Mewtwo can do the same. If this is the case, then you don't have to DI the up throw, you just have to smash DI the up air.

M2Q

Smash Cadet
Does anybody happen to know if you can shorten the Teleport length for non-vertical Teleports or do you lose that ability by changing hte angle?
from what i can tell it appears that you can. im assuming you meant it for a land-canceled teleport, in which case it's DAMN hard. personally, i dont find it practical

TehGuitarLord

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Slice_O_Pie
3DS FC
1203-9544-5962
I was messing around with Mewtwo and I found out that if you use the side-b at/near the ledge on Battlefield, it will take the character close to you on the stage near the edge and warp them through the stage to the part under Battlefield where it's near impossible to recover. Considering that you can do this if the opponent is in shield, I think this is one of Mewtwo's best options at the ledge. I just wanted to know if people knew about this or not.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Harhardee

Smash Rookie
So I'm a new Mewtwo player, mainly since I'm tired of seeing so many Foxes, Falcos, and Marths, wanted to try a low tier, and Mewtwo seems to be pretty fun and could be pretty damn good if played right. Just wondering, what kind of tech would be most useful specific to Mewtwo? And what combos, specifically against spacies? I know it's vague, but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

Harhardee

Smash Rookie
Watch Taj ad M2K for spacie combos. It's basically up throw -> fair -> bunch of stuff that depends on DI

wavedashing is big for mewtwo, work on fundamentals beyond that

a better player would be able to answer your question better

there's also better characters to choose from if you are just going for low tier hero
Thanks! I tried other low tiers, but Mewtwo seems to be my favorite to play as. He may not be the best, but I'm going for fun as well as competitive play. If I wanted a good character, I wouldn't use low tiers period :p . But thanks!

1MachGO

Smash Ace
This character seems underrated as ****.

Its honestly an atrocity any character with a DJC has ever been considered worse than the likes of Roy and Zelda. But alas, ranking characters with largely undeveloped metas has been the folly of tier lists for years

With that said, its hard to say if he'd rank higher than the lower end of mid tier.

MewtwoForce

Smash Cadet
I second this. Taj it would be great to have you back answering questions here. The activity on the mewtwo boards is beginning to improve and having you on board during this time to answer questions would be wonderful.

Last edited:

ManXan

Smash Rookie
You guys should join the discord, it seems to be active everyday and covers a crap load of stuff with really fast response times.

Top Bottom