• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Taj, do you get shieldgrabs more often than most people? It seems like you do for some reason.
Probably. I'm very good at reacting to unsafe shield pressure. Also, I think most Mewtwo players are good at getting shieldgrabs because Mewtwo is so tall, his shield gets hit higher and it throws off people's l-cancel and shine timing.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea m2s dome piece is high up. ****s kinda good for those. Also, alot of player try to aerial just past your shield. The combination of the shield being higher and m2s having some grab range in the back often still results in shield grabs.

I think m2 gets a decent amount of grabs slightly behind and through his body.

Thats how I grab marth most of the time. If they Fsmash the back of my shield I WD back and get that gosu grab.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Mewtwo gets pushed back quite a lot when his shield gets hit, his traction is lol, she doing aerials on shield and trying to land behind is a stupid thing to do.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
:/ man, when I try to ledgedrop into side-B (pulling someone through stage) it sometimes doesn't give me the momentum cancel to pull them under it and I just fall to my death.

How do I stop this and why does it happen?

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
I think confusion > down smash is a pretty good combo if you are one-on one. Try it. It works on plain ground with no higher platforms.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It works on CPU's. That's how I beat them. But don't try it on humans. Ever. Only on the edge.

So after I confused my opponent through Battlefield, they usually use their second jump, but can often still make it back. What do I do to ensure their demise? Do Jump-Cancel an Up-Air and stage spike them then teleport back?

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
@Santo Amancio Well, after the confusion you can make your move depending on what they do. If they attack you, a djc nair wouldn't be bad, or a side dodge and disable/ftilt/dtilt/grab but you can also turn around and charge the shadow ball. Of course they can DI away, but after that it's your call. If they use their second jump you can easily strike them with a djc uair, nair or fair. If you did the combo on the edge try to spike them before they use their recovery move, then teleport to safety
@knihT I haven't tried it yet but I don't think that's a good strategy.I mean, we're humans. There is a possibility of miscalculating. Anyway, I'm not a Mewtwo pro, so if you want a good answer wait for Taj to reply

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
hey, if you guess right, can you keep someone disabled indefinitely?
I've tried it, and I suppose it is theoretically possible, but calculating each frame based on button presses and how long it would last based on percentage is pretty much impossible, even for a computer because of the human mashing element. You can't even begin to infinite lock people until 100+ percent because of how little stun it has.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I think that's actually not a bad idea. The thing I've seen a lot is when someone has a fully charged Shadow Ball, they suddenly are unable to pressure from far away.
I've had this until I started thinking that it's silly to covet a fully charged Shadow Ball. I believe it shouldn't be kept as a damage dealer or KO move if your opponent isn't at 100%. You can better throw it at the opponent, force a shield and follow them. It has a lot of shield stun so grabbing them is a pretty viable option.

What I believe; Below killing % a fully charged shadow ball = a mini shadow ball.

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
You're right. I've seen a lot of Mewtwo players throwing mini shadow balls. It's pretty much like Samus's B. I use the Shadow Ball mostly to deal damage when charging, even if the oppopent (when he/she is human) DIs away. I rarely hide in a corner and charge the shadow ball just to have it.

Pi

Smash Hero
I've tried it, and I suppose it is theoretically possible, but calculating each frame based on button presses and how long it would last based on percentage is pretty much impossible, even for a computer because of the human mashing element. You can't even begin to infinite lock people until 100+ percent because of how little stun it has.
Yea, was just wondering if 'in theory' it was possible, or if there was like diminishing returns. Would be pretty cool to chain a few though. What's the requirements for disable affecting an opponent? On the ground facing you?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
neutral state on the ground facing you.

about 5-6 years ago I tried it out. ive done a few, nothing special. but that theory was one of the reasons I started playing mewtwo as a casual.

I was gonna team with a casual roy and charge flare blade while keeping them disabled lol.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You're right. I've seen a lot of Mewtwo players throwing mini shadow balls. It's pretty much like Samus's B. I use the Shadow Ball mostly to deal damage when charging, even if the oppopent (when he/she is human) DIs away. I rarely hide in a corner and charge the shadow ball just to have it.
No, you should go charge in a corner to charge it. It's a lot easier to put pressure on someone with a full shadow ball. You can throw it at any time, so they'll have to be ready for it at anytime. It can also make for an unpredictable recovery option :3.

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
You're right, it's much easier to pressure ppl when having the shadow ball fully charged. Also it's very useful for stopping peach players from hitting you with the side b (way too annoying)

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
I'm not connecting the Nair's last hit to other aerials very much. I've got some more experimenting to do before I give up on this.

Mewtwo you dam situational ****...owell haha!
-----------
-Might record some matches this Thursday not that it really matters anyways. I want to test my new computer I'll be getting this Tuesday.

-Its from Tuscon Arizona, I mean Arizona Anger!!!

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
LOL just win.

If you really need a tip. shield. grab them when they land. If you think u smooth you can turn around and shield so you can grab them as they go through u.

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the tip, i was hoping for a non-shield-or-grab approach though, but that'll do the same. Generally, I can win him, it's just that pika's side b is SO annoying when abused. I just wanted to know how to counter him.

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
Don't think the player knows how to play pikachu. His only skill is being annoying. About peach's side b, i know its the worst move. I was talking about the CPU peach. I rarely play with Peach human players

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Oh. Don't bother finding ways to counter CPU tactics, just focus on getting a feel like on what it's like to hit that character (at what % can you do this/does this work?)

Marth4ever.

Smash Cadet
Ok. Back to Mewtwo now, I discovered a very simple combo (I'm pretty sure that Taj knows it). Down throw > fair (If the character is heavy you might want to add a utilt or ftilt)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
If you're that far behind, Marth4ever. I suggest you read through Quak's Mewtwo guide to get caught up to speed... And watch some Mewtwo videos posted in the video thread.

Top Bottom