• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

forward

Smash Champion
I think if Taj got any better, he would blow up with awesomeness.

He's got this new combo on space animals, up throw to confusion, Taj, I think you better name that one before someone else trys to take credit for it.

So kids have you learned to play Mewtwo yet? You have to be psychic like Taj, and use real life mind games, like staring your opponent down.

I'm sorry Taj, I'm giving away all your secrets, but these kids gotta learn to use the M2 like you if they want any chance of survival.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
I think if Taj got any better, he would blow up with awesomeness.

He's got this new combo on space animals, up throw to confusion, Taj, I think you better name that one before someone else trys to take credit for it.

So kids have you learned to play Mewtwo yet? You have to be psychic like Taj, and use real life mind games, like staring your opponent down.

I'm sorry Taj, I'm giving away all your secrets, but these kids gotta learn to use the M2 like you if they want any chance of survival.
Well if that's the case why don't you tell the great Mewtwo master Taj to come in here and give us some Mewtwo tips hm?;)

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever had Déjà vu?

if taj closes this thread, my mind will explode from the irony.
Yes, but I'd be far more amused if this got derailed into something useful, like, as Shellshock suggests, perhaps getting a few pointers? (and maybe seeing this maddening uthrow -> confucious say too)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Up throw -> confusion is too sexy. :) I approve of this thread.

I guess you can take the liberty of asking me questions and such, if you want to make this a useful thread. :p

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I have a question. If Mewtwo is teh **** on fastfallers and Luigi is a Mewtwo counter, isn't there a logarithmic equation that explains how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Just remember Taj, you **** well asked for this.

Aside from always wanting to see more current vid's of yours (I've seen less than half a dozen of you, including shadowclaw, and all of them bloody old), I have trouble getting anything in after a dtilt against opponents. Could it a spacing issue or something else?

N64

Smash Champion
I gots a question.

How does mewtwo do against pika? I haven't really played any good mewtwos, so I don't know the matchup well at all. I was always kinda curious about matchups I don't have experience with, though, so I was wondering if Taj (or any of the other mewtwo players on here) have had any experience vs. pikas and how close the matchup is. I'd assume it's advantage pika, but by how much I honestly have little idea.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
It definitely depends on the skill of the Pika. I have seen terrible Pikas and I have seen great ones. If they really know what they are doing, they can be darn tough. However, the difficulty is not that much higher than an average matchup in my opinion. The advantage would be in Pika's favor, but not by that much assuming both players knew what they were doing. If two guys randomly picked the characters, Pika is almost guaranteed to win though. I have not lost any recent matches to any Pikas in recent memory though. I will playing against Hiroshi's Pika at my next tourney, which should be a pretty good match if it is as good as he says it is.

Keep in mind, many Mewtwo players tend to contrast greatly with my own ideas of character matchups. Granted, I would dare say I have had more Mewtwo experience than the majority of them. In my opinion, Fox, Falco, and Sheik are by far the easiest matchups Mewtwo has. Many would disagree. I just find that I can keep my spacing against them exceptionally well and nearly all of my combos work great against them. I also disagree that Luigi is a Mewtwo counter. I have played several Luigis and I play against a very good one on a regular basis. Luigi is fast with the wave dashes and has some sick aerials, but Luigi is definitely easier to play against than someone like Marth, or even Jiggs in my opinion.

For the record: Aggressive Mewtwo play style > Passive and Defensive Mewtwo play style.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Maxxxpower: No, because Mewtwo isn't teh **** on fast fallers.

Just remember Taj, you **** well asked for this.

Aside from always wanting to see more current vid's of yours (I've seen less than half a dozen of you, including shadowclaw, and all of them bloody old), I have trouble getting anything in after a dtilt against opponents. Could it a spacing issue or something else?
It's probably an issue with how you're following the opponent. After the down tilt, you have to quickly follow them, depending on the character, you won't be able to follow up unless you tech chase, but in most cases if you're fast enough you can get that up-air or forward air.
N64: As far as pro Pikachu players go, I only played Chudat's once with my Mewtwo at Ken's biweekly where it was a 1 stock low percentage game. Unfortunately I'm pretty much the only one that I know of in this area that even dabbles with Pikachu. I'd say the match up is relatively even, Pikachu doesn't completely **** Mewtwo in priority, and the up throw KO percentage isn't too high or too low. Mewtwo has semi-decent combos on Pikachu, and Pika has the early up smash or up smash thunder KO on M2.

Dguy: Style can't be simply defined by passive or aggressive. Even with that, style that even tends to be passive or aggressive doesn't matter as both can obviously yield results. Passive and defensive if anything would be "better" for Mewtwo since he's so light and large. Playing safer means more safe damage and the primary objective for Mewtwo is to actually BEAT the opponent and then KO them. Not force them into KO positions every time you attack. Aggressive patterns can be good as well, since you're trying to beat the opponent down and rack up percentage, but I guess I'm trying to say that a style has both. You're never going to always be aggressive, you're going to have to shield grab sometime, wavedash out of shield, anticipate those guaranteed hits and DI, and wavedash back down tilt.

Character match ups are subjective. MY Fox ***** peach. MY Peach ***** Fox. My Marth ***** Falco, but loses to Fox. My Marth ***** Falco, but loses to Fox. My Marth owns space animals but can't beat Sheik. My Marth ***** Sheik, but can't beat space animals. It really just depends on who you're used to playing, and how good the people you play against REALLY are, or what "style" you're used to playing against for that particular character. Even though I play with Forward's Falco, I could still get trouble with other Falcos just because they're not Forward's Falco and I expect certain things. Fortunately, Forward's Falco is so good, that people tend to never do things I haven't seen. Because of Forward, I'm more comfortable with the matchup, and even though I just have a Falco problem in general, I can still pull out wins from the semi-universal tricks and combos that I've learned from playing with him.

If you talked to me a while ago, I liked the Fox vs. Mewtwo match, and now I hate the match up. I hated Falco vs. Mewtwo, now it's tolerable. Sheik vs. Mewtwo is stupid sometimes, but if the person I'm playing against doesn't know how to fight a Mewtwo, then it's winnable. Most matches just come easier from experience, or most people think that because they beat every x character, because those around them play x characters and lose, that their character owns x character. It's possible, it's justified, but it's not true. The same can be said about its opposite. For example, I lost to PC Chris' Luigi in February 2006, not only with Mewtwo, but with my Pikachu as well. I'd say Luigi has the advantage over both characters. Against Mewtwo, Luigi is has very safe options for approaching or defending. Aerials that can't be shield grabbed, both characters slide from shield impact, and neutral air is a combo breaker, starter, and KO move. Against Pikachu, Luigi can chain throw, use aerial priority very well, combo pretty well, and can avoid Pikachu's up close KO move like up smash pretty well due to that speed and priority in the air and on the ground. Luigi is slides, so not many out of shield options.

It seems that Luigi is more advantageous in the Mewtwo match up, simply from the safety of his quick hit recovery and crazy aerial priority. His wavedash length and speed is better than Mewtwo's, but Mewtwo has a slightly larger grab range and tail range for getting under some aerials. Mewtwo can also eat Luigi's recovery except for misfires. Statistically, I'd say Luigi wins the match up, but there are so many human errors made that if a Mewtwo can capitalize, he can win with his easy up throw KOs and slow and steady damage.

Sorry for the lengthy response, even though it wasn't a question. :(
I just somewhat disagreed with you even though the question was asked to me and any other Mewtwos out there willing to respond. But this wasn't posted out of spite; I'm just sharing some of my thoughts with you guys. :)

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Extremely informative Taj.

I suppose you are right in that it really is a mixture of both aggro and defense for play style. When I mean aggressive play though, I do not mean throw away your defense completely. I just mean be quick about everything, attack more often than you wait for them to attack, but do not get careless. If you give an enemy time do whatever they want, they will be able to carefully plan all of their maneuvers and get you where they want you. However, if you are constantly attacking them with attack after attack and performing them well, and in variation, the enemy will begin to lose confidence and play more and more defensively themselves. You definitely have to know your opponent's character to go straight at them. If you don't have a good idea as to what moves they are going to use, you might have problems.

Taking an enemy Falco from 0% to a juggle combo to a meteor smash off the end of the stage without getting hit all in seamless transition really makes them question life, the universe, and everyting. ;)

I also agree that the matchup preferences come and go. At one point I loved the Marth match, then hated it, and now it is not so bad. Fox matchups have come and gone in both directions as well. Almost every tourney I go to, I either get introduced to some new tactic or learn some new tactic that changes the matchup a bit.

Taj, are you planning on coming to Florida any time soon? :cool:

Question two. What would be the cheapest way to obtain the ability to record matches with decent quality? I assume a TV tuner card for the pc. yes? Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad to see this topic is now an "ask Mewtwo questions" topic, so I guess I'll try to pose a simple one (or not quite so simple). How should a Mewtwo go about fighting Peach? Okay, let me restate that, how should a Mewtwo go about beating Peach? I find the matchup to be, hard but not impossible. However because of the floatyness I don't really have any combos that work on Peach, especially when you apply DI to it. Her aerial game is very good, and as far as I can tell her aerials eat through Mewtwo's except maybe up-air from below with Mewtwo. I also find the turnip spam to be quite annoying, that added to the fact that a good Peach isn't easy to edgeguard I don't know exactly how I should approach or just in general fight her. Should you be more aggressive or defensive? What combos actually work on Peach? Thank you to whoever responds to my post.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Dguy, aggressive play, by your definition, is is quickly attacking while maintaining a solid defense, and completely keeping the opponent off balance. I guess that's why you would assume that it is better out of the two extremes in styles, but unfortunately I don't think such a thing can really exist. Passive and defensive means that you're not letting the opponent put you in the position that they want you to, and you're creating openings from an opponent currently attacking you.

For one, just because you're passive doesn't mean that they are aggressive. Two, if they are aggressive and you're playing passive, it means that they're trying to keep you on the ropes by your definition, and playing passive/defensive should mean that they're either creating an opportunity through defensive movements or waiting for the safe opportunity to to attack. If you're aggressive, you're more than likely sacrificing defense in some way, because most offensive options can be countered one way or another, with the most extreme case being to stop it before it starts. For example, Fox has a down air to shine that absolutely cannot be punished from anything in or out of shield if done correctly. Fortunately, it won't always be done correctly and after the attack is over, then any number of things can happen, especially if it was only shielded. Fox also has to be in a position where he can do such a thing.

Also, that really just seems to apply to Fox and sometimes Falco. Mewtwo, regardless of knowing the opponent's character inside and out, doesn't have the options, meaning speed, priority, and range to beat down an opponent and keep them off balance. Most of those things seem to come from slip ups of the opponent, poor spacing, and poor defensive and attack choices on their part.

I don't know much about recording and I don't think I'll be going to Florida anytime soon. :(

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shellshock: Peach for Mewtwo needs to be a long match for any hope of winning. Basically, Peach is completely covered in approach, has a better projectile, and priority. Some Peach players like Forward air on your shield or spaced to stop approaches, followed with either jabs, grabs, down smash or a retreat.

Call and chase the retreats with grabs at low % and tilts at higher %, and you might be able to forward air out of shield the down smash if it didn't eat under your hard shield. If the forward air hits your shield, you're fine, Peach can't follow up because Mewtwo slides. If it pushes you to the edge, then slowly plan out how you're going to get back on the stage and avoid stupid hits. Basically try not to take unnecessary damage, as everything counts for both people in this match. Peach dies early off of the top except on DL64, and Mewtwo has to die from forward air, neutral air, forward throw and other moves at moderately higher percentages.

If you get Peach off of the stage, and she's at an altitude where you can back air, be patient and wait for a good one to throw and force an air dodge, chase a neutral air and keep chasing until you see she can neutral air you. If she's above you, chase with up air if possible, force Peach to throw her float and double jump cards and keep yourself in a position where you can make something happen.

On the stage, catch projectiles if possible, though her throws are better, if there is a lot of distance, then just back up and baby shadow ball spam hoping for an opening. If Peach wants to be a *****, then you gotta choke her like one. If you're down in percentage, then you gotta turnip/shadow ball approach get grabs/down tilt forward air combos and just slowly rack up the damage for the throw KO. Throw her off the stage and see if you can get some cheap kills with back airs and edge hogs, otherwise take it for the easy % if possible.

A little abstract, but unfortunately, all you can really do is out play the Peach and capitalize on what she gives you. :( Hope it helps.

forward

Smash Champion
Wow guys Taj is truely amazing, I've never seen such in-depth strategy. When I asked him how to play mewtwo about a year ago he just said up throw and back throw, I guess the meta game has really changed!

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
ok forward I have been wanting to ask you this for some time, why are you making this thread?? the last time I checked you mained the space bird not m2. Also why do you belittle all of the other m2 players by saying that taj is the end all in playing m2? There are plenty of other good players in and around the forum that are definalty high calibur players, and I find it truly annoying that someone of your calibur has the arrogence to come here and do something like this. You are only a friend of taj, woo hoo. What gives you the right to say these kind of things about him to others. Also please tell me what can Uthrow to confusion do to a space animal at low%? a good player can instantly recover with any arial, and as all m2 players know the enemy recovers before you when useing confusion. Trust me I have tried. Perhaps if the actual creator of this teck could explain and not some groupy who just hangs around for the popularity, I would be more inclined to listen. On a final note i would like to add that taj does have considerable skill when it comes to playing m2 however you forward do not. So please let the explaining/gloating (hopefully none of the latter) is going to happen let the soul creator speak.

forward

Smash Champion
I love being a Taj groupy, Hell ya.

Tongi I really don't know if I should spare your feelings or not. But I'll answer your questions.

1. I made this thread because I have an opinion I would like to voice, it's something people do on forums ;) The character I main has nothing to do with anything, unless I missed the rule that says only Mewtwo mains can post in this room.... Ok I checked the rules again and it didn't say anything like that, wow you are dumb!

2. I belittle other players because that is the consequence of being compared to Taj, or even seeing his name, it's inevitable and has nothing to do with me. It's just something you'll have to learn to live with.

3. I'm sorry you find it annoying that I speak highly of Taj, but there is nothing I can do about that. Most people probably don't care about your whining, if you haven't noticed they are asking Taj for some Mewtwo advice. I would hate to see a good thread go to waste by your petty nit-picking.

4. Up throw to confusion can confuse your opponent, hence the name of the move, duh!

5. I have an immense amount of skill when it comes to playing Mewtwo, you Tonji do not. Of course I'm no where near as good as Taj, but c'mon now who is? Mookierah!?!?!? AHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!! (j/k j/k heart mookie)

6. If it wasn't for me you wouldn't have 2 essays of Taj material to learn from, so you can thank me for the explaining he has done.

7. STFU

8. GGPO

9. I win

Shadowclaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galt

Smash Journeyman
That's my favorite response of ever. Forward and Taj are two players who produce some of the most entertaining matches I've ever seen; in round two of the friendlies available between the two on YouTube, the match is fought on FD, and Taj destroys Forward, and I've shown it to several people, and it tends to make them giggle. I believe I can quote Rayzorium, who, while watching the match, said: "OH MY GOD."

Forward, in particular, is a player I'm really watching this year. In fact, Forward and Taj, come to Austin when it isn't spring break. You can sleep on my dorm floor and buy your own food and stuff. We'll fight.

Shellshock821

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, I see there's some infighting going on as well.:(

Regardless of whether people think the topic is stupid, useless, whatever, thank you Taj for the Mewtwo tips against Peach. As far as I'm concerned at least the topic is (was) heading in a good direction with Taj actually answering people and just generally trying to help. That's cool with me. Tongji, I think that Forward acts the way he does about or when refering to Taj mainly because they are just good friends and he obviously holds Taj in high regard. There's nothing wrong with that. But also Tongji, thank you for the PM. I'll consider what you and Taj said and try to improve my Mewtwo.:)

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Forward I find it interesting that you suddenly attack me when all I was really asking you was and ill put it in quotes for you "what are you doing with this thread that will somehow improve the small MewTwo community?" Your response to 1. please see above quote in quotetations this time.
2. Also you still feel it is acceptable to belittle players? Forward there are many great M2 players on this board, Ario, Pdiz, just to name a few. They are definatly skilled with M2. Perhaps if you looked at some of there vids you would see where I am coming from.
3. You also misunderstood another one of my questions, I just find it annoying that you belittle people who play M2 or compare them to taj. Please by all means talk highly of taj, I have no problem with that. I have a problem however when you belittle others that have greater M2 skill than you.
4. not even going to waste my time
5. Forward if I ever get the chance to play you I believe you will find yourself definatly out matched, I also find it arrogent that withought even seeing me play you instantly conclude that you are the greater player. I don't know if this acusation is true however, and I find it quite idiotic to assume such things. All I know is this, I have seen you play Falco and if your M2 is as "good" as your falco I should have no problem.
6. never read it so I cannot comment 9however someday I might get around to it)
7 & 8 Do not pertain to my original discusion so I am omiting them in my response.
9. Shadowclaw don't make me laf. You didn't create so useing it as ammo in any argument is void. Besides forward we can all see that not everything in shadow claw is possible in your average turnament play.

While I respect you and your attemt to defend taj, your defence totally cought my off guard because I was not talking about taj in any disrespectfull manner. My original argument was directed twards you and your ignorence twards others in this board.

Forward I have never met you in real life, I never ment to be hostile twards you I was simply asking why you would say those things. Hopefully we can resolve this manner and get on with some more intelegent MewTwo disscussion.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I've figured it out. I think this Tongji guy isn't serious. I think this for the following reasons:

1) He was clearly attacking Forward in his previous post, and now he says he wasn't. We call that nonsense, which is an artform requiring the utmost wit.
2) He misspells "intelligent." No one could possibly do that legitimately, especially not with a built-in spellcheck feature.
3) He's seen Forward's videos, but says he thinks Forward is a bad Falco. This is another bit of nonsense (though you have to be a bit clever to see it), as Forward recently 2-stocked Ken in tournament, of which match there is a video.
4) He says it's not good to belittle other players, but is clearly attempting to belittle Forward's ability. See this quote: "All I know is this, I have seen you play Falco and if your M2 is as "good" as your falco I should have no problem." Nonsense, very effectively executed.
5) He says Shadowclaw is not a valid bit of evidence for Forward's argument, even though this is a thread about how good Taj's Mewtwo is, and that video is Taj's Mewtwo combo video.

From all these seeming contradictions, it becomes obvious that this guy can't possibly be serious.

(I'm an English major. I get bored sometimes.)

FairSheik

Smash Apprentice
dude Forward kicks *** lemme quote Nintendoking (rough quote by the way) "when i was losing to forward at NCT2 i felt like crying. Not because i was losing because his Falco was so **** beautiful" then a barrages of LOLs commenced

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
If we still had the rep feature, Galt totally would have gotten +rep from me. I don't know where s/he came from, but he already has my respect.

As for the rest of you, please have the respect for both Taj and sanity to not make this a "omfg foward [something]" thread.

(Essentially) on topic: What's the best way to learn how to properly aim and hit with the right hitboxes of Mewtwo's aerials? What I mean is that my aerials sometimes miss or don't hit with the right part of his tail/whatever, and I was curious if there was any way to make oneself more accurate outside of just playing a lot against other people.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Gimpyfish, sorry, I forgot about you. I probably won't be coming to Washington anytime soon unless I somehow make a ton of money from random tournaments. :(

Khorsan: I think you'll learn to see Mewtwo's aerials better by going to training mode, putting Fox or Falco on evade, and trying to upthrow f-air them at various percentages, and see what you can get away with, while the opponent is using simple DI.

On edge guards, practice using back air on recovering foxes and hit with the tip as to not get burned to understand the speed and range of that particular move. It doesn't hurt to mess with down air in a similar fashion as well, especially down air on the ledge to see what you can get away with on an opponent trying to sweet spot.

But I am mostly just trying to guess the best way for you to learn. Even though you don't want to resort to it, playing with other people is the best way to know how your aerials work and what you can get away with, even if you have to stage the situations.

Tongji: I don't appreciate what you're saying to Forward at all. You're causing a ruckus for nothing, you're the only one who interpreted what he said in an ill manner. In all honesty, Forward probably has one of the best Mewtwo's around from what I've seen. He is completely justified in posting here as someone who can play Mewtwo, and someone who has experience playing against Mewtwo.

Oh, and Up throw confusion = situational but pretty successful for generating combos in a different way. :) I don't have a name for it yet, but I'll probably come up with something, cuz it's mine!

The next person that tries to ruin the friendly nature of this thread will receive an infraction.

Brookman

Smash Hero
5. Forward if I ever get the chance to play you I believe you will find yourself definatly out matched, I also find it arrogent that withought even seeing me play you instantly conclude that you are the greater player. I don't know if this acusation is true however, and I find it quite idiotic to assume such things. All I know is this, I have seen you play Falco and if your M2 is as "good" as your falco I should have no problem.
I believe that the proper english translation of this paragraph is "Hey, Forward, please take my money."

Cort

Apple Head
There are so many amazingly good and amazingly bad posts in this topic, it's making my head hurt.

Watching Taj's Mewtwo for the first time was like watching Mofo's Ness for the first time.

I can't explain it any other way.

quak

Smash Champion
k, since taj got dibs on up throw confusion, i got dibs on upthrow sbcc :p

hey, i know everyones asking this alot, but any chance of coming up to california in the near future? i'd love for you to take my money to make it worthwhile ;)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I've been thinking about going back to San Jose again, cuz the bay is st00pid. :)
But like I said, I need to get money first, and I'm probably going to be moving soon...

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Taj: It's not that I don't want to have to resort to playing other people, it's just that the prime amount of people I play right now are casual players, so they're not doing anything crazy like DI or what have you. With some things (like the bair that I've been trying to perfect) it's not so bad, but trying to do combos involving the air attacks is hard to make sure if they work if you're dealing with people that don't DI compitently. I've more than once tried doing stuff that I've done against casual players that the more experience locals around hear beat me up for.

And on a similar vein, is it smart to use the bair against fox/falco if you expect him to be phantasmaling (forward b) back onto the stage, or is it too risky?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Khorsan: You only want to B-air a Fox or Falco as they're starting it. Only try to hit them with it if they're close enough to stop them as it starts or before it starts, never in the middle of it. If you know for sure they're going for the ledge, use Super Ultra Ninja Cookies and if you do it correctly, you'll beat them to it. :)

justice

Smash Ace
Taj I play Mewtwo but I have trouble against Ice Climbers that can chain grab good. :/ I was wondering if you could help me? Also how would I deal with people that make there characters move uber fast like with C.Falcon , Fox, and Sheik?

Thank you for you time taj.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Arghhh, more vague questions. Ok... well, I guess you'll get a more vague answer. :(

Ice Climbers... Don't get grabbed. Try not to bite on the wavedash smash. Try not to attack both directly, if they're together, grab back throw if they're somewhat split up, grab down throw or a paused back throw. If above you on a platform, neutral air and then start comboing either Nana or Popo. If you can kill Nana trying to recover, then do it. If you can't beat a solo ice climber, then you're going to lose regardless. So you have to keep them split up so that they can't chain grab you.

Up throw is a good finisher on a solo IC or a split IC. Forward air is a good finisher as well, especially when they're trying to recover with their forward B. Just wait for the landing or an air dodge instead and grab or forward air.

Against Falcon you just gotta keep moving enough to constantly change spacing. If his spacing is off, you can punish things easier. The objective is to deal percentage and keep him off of the stage. That means edgehogging, down smashing, back air, or whatever it takes.

Fox: Just a dumb match up in my book, but the most I can tell you is just keep changing the space with movement, and if you're lucky he's not fast enough to punish your attacks with quick dash dances or grabs. By movement I mean wavedashing back and forth, wavelanding or triangle jumping, dash dances, whatever it takes. You just gotta call everything the Fox is doing and don't bite on shines or dash dance grabs and up smashes.

Falco: Lasers are annoying, but you have to be patient and wait for your chance to punish. Teleport through lasers to close the distance, but not too close for him to grab or shine you. So make sure you direct your shield up, because most Falcos seem to have a hard time SHFFLing aerials on Mewtwo, because of his height. So this means free and important shield grabs for you to start your combos or tech chases. Your objective is to gimp Falco's recovery the best you can, so that means edgehogs, back airs, edge hogs to back airs, reverse up airs. Forward air will KO Falco around 140% if you're having too much trouble, so you can get those from your down tilt or dull sided up tilts.

Sheik: Sheik moves quickly with attacks and land speed, but has little mobility in the air, so the problem becomes a ground game and then a shield beat down game when she's on top of you. Once again, you just have to wait for openings or create openings with your own spacing, most likely forward tilt, spaced down tilts or getting Sheik to poorly space a forward tilt for a shield grab.

Down throw tech chase when you get it. Follow their DI and tech, and repeat to the best of your ability. When they don't DI, down tilt and grab them again until they learn to do it. Sheik has poor horizontal mobility, so you can sneak under needle spam sometimes if they're not careful, and you use this to your advantage and gimp her on recovery. Mewtwo has some nice combos on Sheik, and Sheik can combo Mewtwo somewhat, but nothing too terrible. If you get grabbed, just take the forward air, don't take the up air. Especially if you're over 135% or so, you can DI away and avoid the slap all together. Basically watch for needles, get under them if you can, if you can't then just chill back and slowly build your shadow ball or start spamming them trying to get in between needles. Down tilt is nice in this match up, though Sheik can crouch cancel back, so landing it in between aerials or punishing dash attacks gives you a higher chance of avoiding the crouch cancel as they're probably less likely to plan on it. Be careful though, because sheik can crouch the baby shadow balls and eat your approach with a tilt. Up throw KOs at moderately higher percentages, a little higher than Marth. 130% at the start of the throw on FD.

Hope that helps, if not then ask something more specific. :)

Cort

Apple Head
I was just wondering what you thought about the m2 vs Fox and m2 vs Falco matchup. Which one is more challenging? Surely you think Fox's easy vertical kills are much harder to deal with than Falco's combos/lasers. In general, I just want to hear which space animal ***** m2 harder.

There was a pretty bad discussion in phanna's silly character matchup chart topic that lead nowhere.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
this is the best thread ever made...
i have lotsa questions to ask too =p

i shall ask when i am not in class

although there are a handful of decent mewtwos that knows what they are doing for the most part, Taj truely is the only one that is superior at this character. mookie never topped mewtwo this high and umbreon mow isnt anywhere close =p

Taj ftw.

Taj if you DO go to washington =]
ill be sure to come by. Pdiz would also be really happy.

and

taj said:
baby shadow ball
this is going in the term thread XD

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
hey are any of you m2 players gonig to MLG chicago? just wondering because it would be super sweet to have some friendlies and actually see some of you guys in real life! :)

Top Bottom