• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

justice

Smash Ace
Thank you Taj and Tongji. Well I have one more question How do I stop a Jigglypuff that likes to take you all the way off the board to death. Should I DI a certain way or something?

Taj and Tongji you answered my questions I wanted. It's just that some players make there characters seem faster than they really are to me. So it confuses me of how to approach them correctly.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Cort: Fox is definitely the more difficult of the two. Falco's lasers are gay and all, but Falco has a much harder time KOing Mewtwo than Fox. Fox gets 87% up throw Up air KOs no problem on Mewtwo. Mewtwo is also huge, so even a poorly spaced Fox can land things he shouldn't be able to.

Justice: You should DI up, or DI away and avoid the chasing dull F-airs. Jigglypuff should have a hard time edgeguarding Mewtwo.

justice

Smash Ace
Cort: Fox is definitely the more difficult of the two. Falco's lasers are gay and all, but Falco has a much harder time KOing Mewtwo than Fox. Fox gets 87% up throw Up air KOs no problem on Mewtwo. Mewtwo is also huge, so even a poorly spaced Fox can land things he shouldn't be able to.

Justice: You should DI up, or DI away and avoid the chasing dull F-airs. Jigglypuff should have a hard time edgeguarding Mewtwo.
Thank you so much Taj. :)

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
happy happy birthday from all of us (at smashboards) to you, we wish it was our birthday so we could have an excuse to get alot of girls and party too!!! :) happy B-day taj
(I don't know if that last line rhymed to well.... but who cares!)

Brookman

Smash Hero
I wish my birthday was today just so I could pretend sharing taj's birthday made me remotely as awesome as he is. :(:(:(:(:(.

Happy birthday to the king of mewtwo.

quak

Smash Champion
oh i see how it is, the mewtwo is awesome thread gets closed, but when you say it about a mod it gets 4 solid pages of comments lol :p

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Happy Birthday to Taj, the Mewtwo inspiration.

Question for Taj: is there a special trick to platform wavedashing with Mewtwo? Why does it seem harder with Mewtwo than any of the other characters?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
It probably seems harder, because his jump is slower and awkward. You just have to time it differently. :(

Quak: **** straight. I'm the boss now. :p

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Thanks Taj.

Another question:

For Yoshi and Ness, a DJC'ed aerial from the ground can be faster than a regular SHFFLC'ed aerial. Is this also true with Mewtwo? I've been trying to do DJC'ed aerials and I don't see any difference between the two, except that you lose your second jump :(.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
may i try answering that one just because i can?

DJC aerials next to the ground is also unofficially (or official, i dano) known as instantDJC

mewtwos DJC aerial on the ground is much much faster than his shuffle, especially when you are fairing. however a dtilt > shfflc fair, is not much of a difference to dtilt > instantDJC fair. a shuffle fair in these type of situations combos into other things just fine without using instantDJC.

DJC fairs close to the ground also gives mewtwo a bit more reach. an example of application of this on space animals would be: Upthrow > InstantDJC fair > grab. up throw to shorthop fairs wont connect to a grab.

instantDJC Bairs makes a very nice edgeguard since the Bair can go through the stage.

instantDJC Upairs also connect to grabs, but this is quite situational.

questionair threads are awesome.
now ...may i ask questions =]?

Q1
how do you grab or land a dtilt on a falco with laser spasms?

Q2
how does mewtwo approach captain falcon?
falcon's speed and nair spams are driving me nuts.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
"If the Peach is gonna be a *****, you gotta choke her like one."

EXCELLENT.

also, say you're getting pressured with shines galore by Fox and you're shielding, getting stunned here and there. what do you do? I find teleport away usually gets caught too easily.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Gimpyfish- I suppose you are right, but now it's official. :p

Airo- 1. Wavedash out of shield, then from there it's chasing a retreating laser or a wavedash backwards from an approaching laser and getting your down tilt in. There's also a trick that I found out at OC2 where Mewtwo can down tilt through missiles. :)

2. Mewtwo doesn't approach Falcon, Falcon approaches you. If it's a slow Falcon that can't dash dance very well, then you just gotta be faster than him some how, but most of your approaches will probably be with your shield up or calling his retreating dash with a wavedash down tilt or something.

Joshisrad: Fox has little aerial mobility, so unless he's quintuple shining you on the ground, then he's either wavedashing or in the air. If he's just waveshining, you can shield grab it, if he's trying to cross you up with it, and not grabbing afterwards, then just roll away. You'll escape from most things simply by rolling or wavedashing out of shield. And depending on how he's doing it, you MIGHT even be able to short hop neutral air out of shield.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Fox has little aerial mobility, so unless he's quintuple shining you on the ground, then he's either wavedashing or in the air.
So what if he's multi-shining you, possibly into JC-grab against your shield?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Well if he's multishining you, Mewtwo has too little traction to get grabbed from multiple shines into a JC grab. If it's only two shines, then you can try and beat him to it as Mewtwo out ranges Fox. If he's multi-shining anyone though, you're probably screwed regardless of your character if he gets that on your shield. Hell, the shine only does 4% too, so you can just eat one get knocked on the ground or whatever, then don't let it happen again.

Even light shielding would be a good solution in this situation as well.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Hey Taj, what do you think of M2 versus Samus? It's been giving me trouble lately and I need some help.

Since you don't like vagueries, here are the specifics:

1: Missile cancels have this tendency to own me. Jumping over them gets me nowhere, as the Samus can then approach me from beneath with up-air and reset the situation by running away. I can't teleport through because if the Samus watches closely, she will just use d-tilt or d-smash to push me off the edge. I can't shield forever, so what do I do? So far, I just stay on a platform and fall through, then double jump back to it, but if I start doing that too much the Samus can approach from beneath me where I have a disadvantage.

2: What do I do when Samus decides to start CC'ing my d-tilt approach? I try and space as well as possible, but when I'm in close and won't let the Samus fire off a missile she just starts holding down. I can't get in close for a grab because I get d-tilted, I can't try waveshielding because d-smash and d-tilt have too much lag stun, and everytime I do my own d-tilt she just CC's and d-tilts or smashes me. I then slam into the ground and the Samus just plays a wakeup mindgame with a chargeblast and it's really hard to win.

3: My girlfriend split up with me. She's moving to AZ because she heard about you. Could you stop being so awesome? It's ruining my personal relationships.

Samus has my defense on the ropes and can play attrition against my approach. Halp please :d

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Wobbles: First off, your Mewtwo is way to crazy, you shouldn't even be asking for advice. :p But I'll see if I can help you out a little bit.

1.) If you're teleporting through missiles and getting pushed off of the edge, then that scenario doesn't make sense to me. If you're teleporting through missiles, then you're approaching and shouldn't get knocked to the edge. You can camp the top platform like you were doing before Samus got smart, and start charging your shadow ball. From there, you can use that as your big offensive approach. Try to call the next missile and throw it as that's going out, with forward momentum, then chase it the best you can and try to force a mistake from that big shield stun.

Your objective here is to try to get Samus to full hop or take to the air, and neutral air or get under her in between her aerials, or force a misplaced aerial for a shield grab. You want Samus to feel like Missiles are worthless, so swat a few away, dodge a few, safely confuse until she starts trying to approach with them. That's when you can start teleporting through them again.

2.) When you notice the crouch, shield the down tilt and forward air/neutral air out of shield. You can even try short hop reverse shadow ball charge on her CC. When Samus isn't shooting missiles, throw baby shadowballs and try to get a grab out of it.

It's a tough fight though, since Samus has a great ground game, but it's all just a mindset and breaking the Samus of that grounded and solid mindset. Keep trying to get her doing new things, different things that don't work in frustration of her real good things not "seeming" as effective. Remember 104% up throws on Samus on FD :) It kills earlier than Forward air.

3.) Sorry, I'm Taj and that's just how I roll. No Johns, son. Play like a champion.

Happy Post Taj Day :chuckle:

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
taj said:
2. Mewtwo doesn't approach Falcon, Falcon approaches you. If it's a slow Falcon that can't dash dance very well, then you just gotta be faster than him some how, but most of your approaches will probably be with your shield up or calling his retreating dash with a wavedash down tilt or something.
hmm... the falcon i play against is quite offensive, nair spams and flawless spacing all the way. shield grabbing is a dead option. rolls are quite easily predicted.
i cant seem to let go of my shield without getting hit by those nairs.
i find myself trapped in my shield and falling off to grab the ledge most of the time.
i can barely outspace him because of his speed either.

am i analyzing something wrong? i keep losing terribly in this matchup.
how am i suppose to play in this matchup?

(thx abunch. )

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Airo: My point is that flawless spacing is pretty hard to do when Falcon is in the air and Mewtwo is moving on the ground. You need to basically move with his n-airs, direct your shield as to not get picked by the n-airs, or you can even crouch cancel shield grab those. Move out of range with a wavedash back down tilt, teleport cancel through the neutral airs and reset, just keep moving and making it difficult.

When Falcon knocks you into the ledge, you can do a ledge confusion, bring your self up with a rising n-air and when he tries to spike or knee you, just rise carefully and safely teleport to the stage. If you can't keep up with him, then you have to find a way to be faster or slow him down. Reverse shadow ball charges when you call his approaches, even confusion if you really see it coming. Wavedash out of shield is probably your best friend in this match up, but watch out for shffl knees to grabs.

Remember, this is all theory smash, you have to be the one to make things happen. I'm not there playing for you, and I'm not saying that Mewtwo should be ****** all of these characters with a vast assortment of options with these easy steps. Falcon is a hard fight, like any high tier. I am trying to present ideas and options to you to help with your match ups. I hope it helps though. :)

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Woooo Taj's advice is too godly.

Yeah, the secret answer to most tough matchups is just "play better." You gotta trick your opponent into putting an attack in the wrong place so you can capitalize on it. You won't find "secret tricks" that suddenly make you win matches :(

forward

Smash Champion
I think in Mewtwo vs Falcon, you need to space yourself far away from Falcon. You never want him to be able to shuffle a n-air through your sheild and land behind you, keep your self around the reach of a full length running short hop. If you get stuck in that sweet sticky chocolaty center then you have to fight your way out, or teleport.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I agree, Forward, but when you're stuck in that sweet sticky chocolaty center, that's where mistakes occur, and if you can capitalize on that, there's your grab/dtilt and sex combo back at Falcon. That's still a really good point, because that kind of space is where Falcon is more likely to make more mistakes and it gives you more room for projectile exploits. :) BRT Sean :p

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
taj i have a problem. every time i see a mewtwo player i cant help be feel a bit nautious from the image of a tier list in my head. any remedy to this?

technomancer

Smash Champion
taj i have a problem. every time i see a mewtwo player i cant help be feel a bit nautious from the image of a tier list in my head. any remedy to this?
Play Taj lol

On the CF matchup: CF can space those Nairs to tip and dashdance or side b as a mindgame on your grab. Retreating closer to the side of the stages can also be bad at middle percents like 60 or 70 because a throw knee combo will kill you outright and own your recovery advantage. IMO it's probably best to camp the middle of the stage on stages like YS and Battlefied to cramp his style; Falcon has 3 jumps, standing jump, standing forward DI jump, and jump way the !@#$ out there dash jump, so style cramping is all about being in between the dash jump and the standing forward jump. If he's going over you alot just nair out of sheild or WD the other direction and turn; nair should beat out a reverse grab, and as a light floaty you shouldn't really need to worry about side b to knee.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Technomancer: Negative on Nairs to tip and dash dance or forward b. If Falcon Nairs the edge of your shield, then he is clearly out of range for a grab, and will definitely get punished trying to forward b. If you notice he's trying to space for tips, you can space a down tilt, confusion, or you can throw in a timely wavedash to catch his dash dance away since it has pretty good distance.

Cross up Nairs are generally safe, but every once in a while you can chase with neutral air. Camping the the ledge is fine, just don't get grabbed. On the chance that you do, you have a 50/50 of not getting kneed. You can DI down and away, and Falcon can super fast fall reach for a knee, or you can DI up where a short hop follow up won't work. If Falcon misses the one where he has to reach, then you get an edge guard.

The knee can kill Mewtwo at 60-70s regardless of where he is on the stage except for the complete opposite side. Most of the game, you're going to naturally try to create that space that you're speaking up anyway, and the match revolves around forcing bad spacing on Falcon through long/short wavedashes dash dances and teleport cancels.

D

Deleted member

the thing about falcon is that he can dashdance grab, and if he does it cautiously, mewtwo is eventually forced to approach, which is where mewtwo loses. mewtwo does best when falcon attacks him and gives you a chance to challenge his attacks with your tail range. same deal with sheik, if sheik attacks you, she's doing you a favor, so take it.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Dash dance camping is one of the toughest strats to get around, really. The opponent dictates the range and pacing of the fight, and with very little risk they can trick you into attacking first. Luckily, M2 has the mini shadowballs to deal with it; you can generally force an approach out of your opponent, and the random trajectory can make it tricky business to avoid. It's not going to win entire matches for you though, so you have to call the opponent's approach.

Cort

Apple Head
I like how this topic started as this cocky Taj's amazing Mewtwo topic by forward and is now probably the best topic in this subforum.

6th Sense

Smash Lord
First off I <3 Taj 4ever (no homo) he showed me that M2=G0D Tier!! Plus Taj can DunK!! as we saw @ PANDATRATION~~

1) Taj in what situations do you use M2's F-throw??
2) Also the only other use for confusion I found was reversing my reflected shadow balls and my edge game.. any other tips on use for cunfusion??
3) I know Wobbles Kinda adressed this but um.. Its really hard for me to fight Samii (my plural for Samus) at low percentages so I pretty much depend only on my charged Shadow Balls so when I miss those I feel like I'm SCREWED =/ So I'm pretty much stuck.. any solutions
4) Lastly, M2's D-air owns space animals!!

That is all..

Top Bottom