• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

forward

Smash Champion
I wish I knew that was you Mow. We'll play more sooner or later and do some Mewtwo matches, I'll show you how to get around Falco's walking f tilts.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well against peches like I said before, you can destroy half of thier game. ie turnips. When a peach is grabbing one, or has one in her hand just rush her with a SHFFLd nair. There is absolutly nothing she can do. If she throws the turnip it will mearly bounce off of nair. When peach has that turnip out she is very limited in what she can do. Once you show the peach player that the turnips are useless they are going to have a tough time attacking or defending. Withought the turnip peach doesn't really have any good approaches that you simply cannot out space with WD. anyway sorry I was so vauge with my first few posts :(

Ohh by the way forward, I can understand if you don't answer this question but why do you use walking f-tilt against m2? I don't play falco at all and every falco that plays me pretty much shuffls arials and SHL lasers me. No tilts at all. Why do you do it? I was watching some of your matches v taj and I did notice you do it quite a bit. It definatly seems to keep taj in his shield and seems like a good teck against any m2. but do you have a specific reason?

forward

Smash Champion
You can stop Mewtwo's approaches safely, and easily since you can react to them with this move. Also, Falco doesn't have a lot of other options.

D

Deleted member

I wish I knew that was you Mow. We'll play more sooner or later and do some Mewtwo matches, I'll show you how to get around Falco's walking f tilts.
next time you stay @ chu's we'll play at his house. I don't usually like to play smash at chu's house cause his sister doesn't like it and chu himself hates my *** and he's always playing it. M2K has my controller anyway.

I figured out a way to beat the walking ftilt thing but it's not with disable.

I'm also starting to think mewtwo does much better vs marth than most people would suggest.

edit:

Ohh by the way forward, I can understand if you don't answer this question but why do you use walking f-tilt against m2? I don't play falco at all and every falco that plays me pretty much shuffls arials and SHL lasers me. No tilts at all. Why do you do it? I was watching some of your matches v taj and I did notice you do it quite a bit. It definatly seems to keep taj in his shield and seems like a good teck against any m2. but do you have a specific reason?
cause falco's tips are equally strong the whole leg, and his leg happens to be really long. Could say the same for samus, except samus does it to everyone.

basically, ftilt stops mewtwo's anything, since it outranges his best frontal approaches such as dashgrab and dtilt and his rear approaches like bair are slow enough that you can react to it otherwise. Falco's jab can also do this, but mewtwo's dtilt will outrange it, so it's not as good. Also, since the ftilt is out for a set amount of time, you can hold down during the duration of the attack so you can effectively CC in your forward tilt. Mewtwo cannot grab your forward tilt (unless you're facing the wrong way -_-) and he cannot hit you without eating some sort of counter-attack from your crouch. If the mewtwo decides to disable you out of shield after blocking the ftilt, you should have plenty of time to react accordingly. if mewtwo does a WD out of shield after blocking ftilt, you can still react and defend yourself.

what makes the crouching ftilt and shield camping fun in falco vs mewtwo is the defense part. Should mewtwo disable through your ftilt or get a free hit of any kind, he can't do much. No matter what mewtwo does, likely dtilt or upthrow, you can full DI the way he's facing and escape with minimal damage. Upthrow comboes are difficult on fastfallers when they DI that way, and dtilt combos don't work at all. Should you DI off the stage, it doesn't matter so long as you're too close to the stage to eat mewtwo's back air.

That being said, I remember a stupid trick I used to do, where I downthrow with ness/mewtwo at the edge, very few people will DI off the stage, allowing me an easy kill combo or edgeguard.

ftilts are odd in this game. people don't seem to like them outside of sheik/samus. Lots of characters have sweet ftilts, fox and falco yes but marth roy mewtwo pikachu, lots of characters have really good ftilts, people don't use them outside of edgeguarding since they don't combo so well, but in general they're really good attacks.

as to what forward said, falco is weird with options. as a fox player I can relate, when it feels like your character can do everything sometimes, but other times I don't know what the hell to do. In falco's case, doing a standard pillar on mewtwo's shield is doing him a favor. It is best for falco to fight mewtwo with things mewtwo has difficulty with, such as crouch spamming and shield camping with good DI, and just doing attacks that stay out with high priority (tilts, jab) but also can't be shield-grabbed (fsmash, dair). This is a complete flip from falco's normal play, which usually consists of lasers and combos. Lasers and dair allow mewtwo openings, when his tilts and crouching do not. It makes sense for falco to challenge metwo's air game with tilts since he'll win, while simply blocking air attacks and looking for a better shot. In falco vs mewtwo, falco does have an advantage, but his options are limited.

forward

Smash Champion
I think Falco vs Mewtwo is stage dependant. Falco needs platforms to combo mewtwo, otherwise mewtwo has the better combos, thus giving him the advantage. I think when it comes to their actual fight, Falco slightly has the advantage because of lasers. Lasers give him the first move of the match, similar to playing white in chess.

AS Money

Smash Lord
but in chess there is bird peice that jumps and lazers every thing on the other side rendering them immoveable

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
No, that's why it was kind of an analogy? There are pieces like a QUEEN that can make moving any piece into the open a bad idea, much like Falco's lasers that limit your movement.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
You're that good huh Taj? Then I wanna challenge you when Brawl comes online. Hopefully, your boy Mewtwo will be on the game so that it can be a fair fight.

Anyway, do you have any video's on youtube that you can put here? I would like to see how well you can play with my own two retina.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Well against peches like I said before, you can destroy half of thier game. ie turnips. When a peach is grabbing one, or has one in her hand just rush her with a SHFFLd nair. There is absolutly nothing she can do. If she throws the turnip it will mearly bounce off of nair. When peach has that turnip out she is very limited in what she can do. Once you show the peach player that the turnips are useless they are going to have a tough time attacking or defending. Withought the turnip peach doesn't really have any good approaches that you simply cannot out space with WD. anyway sorry I was so vauge with my first few posts :(
Call me crazy but I could have sworn Peach can still do aerials even when she's holding a turnip.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
shadenexus, I hope your joking I really do. Also who the heck is going to play brawl seriusly online??? The lag would be terrible! and host will definatly matter (unless nintendo makes survers) in which case there will still be lag. So anyone thinking they are good by playing online is a fool. I play halo2 and go to MLG turnies, trust me online is a joke. On xbox live host player has a huge advantage, and those that don't are screwed. You cannot shoot cross map and your grenades are really weak. LAN is a whole nother game.

Also Forward, well I tried the whole ftilt thing against m2. Im going to have to agree with you in that ftilt really can shut down alot of m2's moves. My friend mains fox not falco, so he definatly doesn't come anywhere close to be a "good" falco. I noticed that some well placed shadow balls can sometimes screw up the whole walking ftilt approach. Ohh well, this move is situational and from what I have seen does pretty well. Thanks for all of your help forward and Mow.

Zero_reborn

Smash Rookie
Hey taj, aka one of my top two smash idols ^_^(gimpyfish top 2 as well, i will not say whos number one so as to not invoke the wrath of taj or gimpy ;p) but i seem to be having a lot of trouble with m2s fair, maybe its just my timing which i am working on but no matter who i play against i just cant seem to land a hit, also throws, im never sure which throw to use on which character or in what situation to use each throw. help me please! (waits for taj to acknowledge his meager existence!)

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
With Fair You need to be really close to the target because the hit box is very very small. DOn't try and approach with this move because the chance for a hit before you are outranged is slim to none. Fair takes practice. If you want Cstick in the air may be an easier way to get off a few hits.

For throws the general roul of thumb is, never ever use Fthrow and when fighting heavy/fast fallers always throw backwards at high % to KO off the edge. When playing lighter opponents throw up. As you may already know against space animals, Uthrow to fair at low % is a nice combo. If done correctly and your opponent isn't fast enought you can get them in a 5 to six shadowclaw hit combo. Which is about 60+%

All in all useing fair effectivly takes practice. Don't rely on it for any type of approach, use it when your opponent is tumbling in the air, or if the situation presents itselft use it out of a shield as a suprize. Just keep practicing and good luck. MewTwo is definatly a tough character to learn. :)

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Call me crazy but I could have sworn Peach can still do aerials even when she's holding a turnip.
Yes, she can. Only when floating, but most Peaches float cancel their aerials anyway. What she can't do is grab, dash attack, tilt, jab, or cstick smashes against you, until the turnip gets thrown.

Zero_reborn

Smash Rookie
With Fair You need to be really close to the target because the hit box is very very small. DOn't try and approach with this move because the chance for a hit before you are outranged is slim to none. Fair takes practice. If you want Cstick in the air may be an easier way to get off a few hits.

For throws the general roul of thumb is, never ever use Fthrow and when fighting heavy/fast fallers always throw backwards at high % to KO off the edge. When playing lighter opponents throw up. As you may already know against space animals, Uthrow to fair at low % is a nice combo. If done correctly and your opponent isn't fast enought you can get them in a 5 to six shadowclaw hit combo. Which is about 60+%

All in all useing fair effectivly takes practice. Don't rely on it for any type of approach, use it when your opponent is tumbling in the air, or if the situation presents itselft use it out of a shield as a suprize. Just keep practicing and good luck. MewTwo is definatly a tough character to learn. :)
thank you very much!!!!!!! (still not acknowledged by one of meh idols x.x /emo ;p )

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
/Acknowledge

Basically, Tongji said it. It's difficult to hit with, down throw tech chase is your most common throw. Up throw for finisher, back throw for ledge guard/prefinisher, and up throw for fast faller combos when applicable. DJC forward airs can be a nice combo starter when the opportunity presents itself, otherwise it pretty much is just something you'll randomly punish with or combo into.

Zero_reborn

Smash Rookie
/Acknowledge

Basically, Tongji said it. It's difficult to hit with, down throw tech chase is your most common throw. Up throw for finisher, back throw for ledge guard/prefinisher, and up throw for fast faller combos when applicable. DJC forward airs can be a nice combo starter when the opportunity presents itself, otherwise it pretty much is just something you'll randomly punish with or combo into.
the words of taj ^_^ life is complete, but thanks for the advice guys starting to get better, work work work!! could take a while though

quak

Smash Champion
i even tried experimenting with teh f-throw recently as a way to push em off the stage, and then do a quick d-smash or f-smash when the panic to recover.

Yeah, doesn't work, XP

Lit

Smash Ace
**** i want to get good wit mewtwo but its just so **** hard... but yeah taj is to good... is there anyonelse in the world that can play a mewtwo like u if they can i want to see it...

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
F throw only works on computers, cuz the FFers DI in front of you down without any jumps or aerials, just drop, and then you D smash them.
Yes, F throw is rather useless except for the coolness.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Ya I guess Im not the only one that tried F-throw experimentation -.-'' sadly tho nothin works at all. Unless your opponent is an absolute idiot. They only slight and i do mean extreamly slight use to this move is, on corneria agains the back of the fin. If you can get a FF there and you are far enought from the fin you can fthrow and the little shadowballs will strike them before they hit the fin stopping wall tecking. You can just dash forward and catch them before they hit the ground. It's infinate!! (At mid to higher percents) lolz other than that it's totally pointless. (Other than looking cool) Im so sad T.T :(

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Some shenanigan that I've been trying to do with limited success is djc Nair for the knockback on landing. I really don't want to explain it because when I say shenanigan, I mean shenanigan, and I'm not too experienced with it myself. I should report back later on this...

By the way Taj what is a jv 6 stock.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Basically, when someone says JV 5 stock, it means 4 stock 0% victory. (JV 2 stock is 1 stock 0%, JV 3 stock is 2 stock 0%, etc.)

DJC N-air is cool looking, but the lag from l canceling is a little bit too high coupled with the poor damage. The knock back is the interesting thing, but it doesn't really help unless the opponent DIs poorly and of course percentage is also dependent. It is a nice little get off me move if the opponent doesn't decide to just hit you first.

It just isn't very safe because it's laggy even when l canceled and poor shield stun means easy shield grab if you miss. :(

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I thought I was just not l canceling when I was DJCnairing... yeah it is rather effing slow. >.>

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
Theorycraft: Possible application of djc nair might be edge-guarding.

Jump - djc backwards - Nair - Edge-cancel - whatever

The shock might actually hit far enough to hit below the ledge. Doubt it would work on magnet grabbers or decent priority Up Bs. I will test it tomorrow when my friends play and lose to me.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Nair for an edge guard? not a chance. I think that peepz are placing too much emphasis on this move. Let me remind you all that nair is a low priority and low range move. You will get blasted with any up b move. I don't think that it would be a good idea. D-smash all the way! :)

LIL_Jay-Z

Smash Rookie
Taj with all of this advice you are giving YOU SHOULD MAKE AN AWSOME MEWTWO GUIDE!......just an opinion =) btw nice info

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Theorycraft: Possible application of djc nair might be edge-guarding.

Jump - djc backwards - Nair - Edge-cancel - whatever

The shock might actually hit far enough to hit below the ledge. Doubt it would work on magnet grabbers or decent priority Up Bs. I will test it tomorrow when my friends play and lose to me.
Theorycraft? That sounds like something from WoW or Warcraft. :) In theory smash that sounds like a cool idea, though I feel like if you have time to edge cancel a DJC neutral air, you probably already had time to "blow out the candle" and just take the cookies.

Just theory smash though, because you might be able to use that as a setup for a stronger edgeguard if it connects. Hope it works out for you, I'm curious because I like DJC n-air a lot, it just kinda sucks at the same time.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
wow you mewtwo players are actually helpful, it kinda makes me wanna take the time to help out all those other bowser players haha

good stuff here mates

EDIT: i must say again, people named Tony are destined to have great low tiers haha

why not give some mewtwo vs bowser matchup info, i'd be curious to read what you have to say on that one haha

Top Bottom