• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
If the Link tends to air dodge into his hook shot as he tries to go low, you can get ledge invincibility and go for a back air as he goes for it. Basically you want to try edgeguarding him by holding the edge and forcing him to change things up.

If he continues to go low while you're on the ledge, then you can eat his hookshot and force an up B and you can easily race him to sweet spot the ledge.

Against Jiggs you should be throwing baby shadowballs and charging shadowballs when you can until he approaches then wavedash with shield up into him, and if he tries to cross up or continue banging your shield, jump out of shield with a neutral air or intercept his poorly spaced aerials with neutral airs.

Ark(angel)

Smash Cadet
thanks, sorry i've got another question :p

This particular link i play tends to be really bad at sweetspotting his spin attack. He goes easily mewtwo height above the ledge, DI's backwards and grabs on.
This is an easily punishable tactic obviousely.
But whats the best move to use, an f smash, or go for a dsmash or charged shadowball?

Thanks

Ark(angel)

Smash Cadet
one more question came to mind....sorry!

Since this link only ever gets up onto the stage with a moves, aka, no ledgehop etc, just the stab and the slash thingy that he does(forgot the name)

What do i use to stop him?
Do u fall on him with fair, dair or nair? or do i just ping him with a shadowball thats charging?

Sorry for all the questions :p

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Just get closer to the ledge and shield grab him, that way if he does something else you can wavedash or jump out of shield and still cover your options.

KitsuneXXX

Smash Cadet
I was messing around with Mewtwo the other day, and out of habit I tried to firefox stall... Anyway, in the end I figured you could use Mewtwo's up B to stall... as well as his air dodge.... Are these effective edge stalls, and if not, what are?

Thanks Taj, you pwn.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
No, because you don't maintain invincibility as you're grabbing the ledge. You'll probably get away with doing those things a few times before your opponent gets smart enough to try and ninja the ledge between teleports or airdodges.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
You can do it to stall on the ledge while to edgehog them, the Firefox stall when done incorrectly is not an infinite, neither are the Firefox styled teleport loops and airdodge loops.

Taj's loop is the only infinite on the edge.

Ark(angel)

Smash Cadet
so, does ledgedrop-->doublejump-->interrupt double jump with up b into ledge not become an infinite?

Taj's loop is, ledgedrop--> doublejump-->di backwards--> tele into stage right?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
taj's loop works because teleport grabs the ledge immediately after a set distance

the firefox style one doesn't go that distance, so it has lag before it grabs the ledge

taj's loop goes far enough from the ledge to instantly grab the ledge when he teleports

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with the falco matchup. Any straight forward tips. (no pun intended)

So far I have at low percentages, use uthrow>> fair >> fair .... and from there I dunno. Lasers get me everytime with pressure, and once I'm hit, its like I'm stuck. I'm not exactly sure what strategies to use

EDIT: I got further, he was lasering and I shted to him while he was trying to be fancy and shfflc, and I grabbed, uthrow, fair, uair, then wd into a grab, downthrew, and dtilted >> fair, and he DIed off the edge, I dsmash as he tried to firefalco sweetspot, then baired him as he tried to recover. He was already at 23 or something when I started the combo, I think I've discovered that your trix change due to the opponents DI, right?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Space Animals: Fox and Falco.

to all intents and purposes, you can't chain grab any character with Mewtwo for significant damage.

Also, you cannot trust computers to be good.

Dv02

Smash Apprentice
Why the hell is it difficult to L-cancel with mew2?

Also, i have found the f-throw to be not completely useless. Mainly against low damage characters, not only would i damage them, but i also stop any attackers since it seems to hit characters close on the ground as well as any attacking from the air. Helps with Ice Climbers a bit.

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Serious question: How should a Roy play against a Mewtwo?

My problems mainly seem to be Baby Shadow Balls. Whenever he uses those, it eats up any and all approaches or defences I seem to try. I can't twang them without playing a losing game of cat and mouse, jumping over them seems to get me nowhere, sometimes worse then before, taking the hits let's him just keep spamming them and such.

So any tips, especially on the Baby Shadow Balls?

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
Well, you could try swiping them out of the air, you could also try shielding them, approaching some more and shielding.
His shadowball spam isn't fast enough to let him mess around on your shield too much, but even if he got there somehow, your grab range is longer IIRC, and that would let you protect yourself from his grabs.
Another option would be to jump over them and toward the mewtwo. Roy has a decent fair and little lag after an l-cancel. I'm not a terribly good roy player, but I know that he has a lot more options, especially against a character like mewtwo.

Would anyone else like to give a clearer explanation?
I hope I could help. ^_^

quak

Smash Champion
don't jump over them, sheildwd and power through them, once your in, chain nairs cause it's fun

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Perhaps you should ask Roy players how to beat Mewtwo for the best possible and most relevant advice?

I don't think Mewtwo players play Roy against themselves, nor do many of them care about that match up as it doesn't really happen. I played NEO's roy and he was amazing, but that's pretty much it. He just does cool and tricky **** and plays Roy well.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
you changed your post so that my "thats what she said" looks like epic phailz.

but realize that gimpyfish is the master of "thats what she said"

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Well, you could try swiping them out of the air, you could also try shielding them, approaching some more and shielding.
His shadowball spam isn't fast enough to let him mess around on your shield too much, but even if he got there somehow, your grab range is longer IIRC, and that would let you protect yourself from his grabs.
Another option would be to jump over them and toward the mewtwo. Roy has a decent fair and little lag after an l-cancel. I'm not a terribly good roy player, but I know that he has a lot more options, especially against a character like mewtwo.

Would anyone else like to give a clearer explanation?
I hope I could help. ^_^
You did, thanks.

*Reads Taj's post*

...D'OH

Dan2

Smash Apprentice
You did, thanks.

*Reads Taj's post*

...D'OH
I enjoy helping out. ^_^

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't notice it in the earlier pages.
How would you recommend playing Mewtwo in a teams match.
I'm practicing with another guy for teams matches. His best is actually a link, but he likes to play DK when I play Mewtwo to create Team: Low Tier.
I'm looking for general advice for any partner, but any advice dealing with those two partners is also great :grin:

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Thanks, Quak for the advice. Also, I just found this thread. I'm currently going over it, but I'd still like more about how to play Mewtwo specifically in teams.

quak

Smash Champion
me and my friend are going to a tourney tomarrow to test out our 2v2

my mewtwo plays much better in teams than my falco does, for some odd reason

so we make a pretty good fox mewtwo team

team name : bipolar

you as the mewtwo she grab alot, and let ur teamate smash the **** out of them. Mewtwo's grabs are great for teams cause 1) he hold the opponent farther away than most other characters, 2) d-throw and up throw are great combo starters for ur teammate and 3) since there's so much going on in 2v2, i've noticed that people are more prone to the WTF?! factor of getting there **** shoved in by a mewtwo.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Well, a common strat for a team like...Peach and Fox (slow and fast) is to have Peach grab + have the teammate Fox upsmash the grabbed opponent. At higher levels of play, attacking grabbed opponents with your teammate doesn't have friendly fire as much of an issue.
Since Mewtwo isn't that bad at getting grabs in, having a Fox to upsmash grabbed opponents isn't bad at all. I still wouldn't suggest Mewtwo for team play since he's such a large target and doesn't really get kills in well since he's more of a safe/passive character.

Brookman

Smash Hero
safe and passive means
you could easily be a stock holder for your friend to take when hes out of lives. mewtwo also does fine killing with his throws.

mewtwo in teams, just stay defensive and help out ur ally when hes being edge guarded.
You say that as if people will leave a giant light floaty purple monster alone. Mewtwo really not meant for teams. Unless it's a team with kirby, mewtwo is the best kirby projectile.

Cort

Apple Head
One time I played double Mewtwo with Taj on teams.

Didn't go so well, but it was fun.

Mewtwo's fthrow ***** in teams. SNIPINGGGGG

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has to be played strategically to win a match in singles. The same goes for doubles. If you just run in, you will get killed at low percentages. You have to fight smart. Look for opportunities and take advantage of them. Save your team mate when need be. As for the use as a life holder, that is possible, although it is not advised. If your M2 is good enough to evade all of those attacks for that long of a time period, then it is probably good enough to fight the opponents. Mewtwo can be excellent on teams if used intelligently.

Some examples:

Suppose your partner knocks an opposing Peach or Samus off stage. Few characters have the capability to jump way out there and hit the opponent with a bair and still be fully capable of coming back, only to jump out and do it again. In this way, M2 is an excellent ledge guarder in teams.

Shadow balls are excellent as well, especially when you have good coordination with your partner.

M2's throws are perfectly suited for teams matches. If you grab an opponent, his buddy will probably try and save him. Wait for him to get close, then you can back throw. The moving grabbed character will hit the guy trying to save him and cause damage while the throw still remains successful. You can also use forward throw to catch both opponents(and sometimes your partner) in the air. Never use up throw unless you have considerable distance between yourself and the nearest opponent.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
You seem to forget that Mewtwo dies too quickly to pull all of that off lol.
As Brookman said, he's to **** big and light to be ignored in teams.

Top Bottom