• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

LIL_Jay-Z

Smash Rookie
Yo0o Taj, awsome mewtwo. I have a question, do you use the C-stick when using areials and ground moves? In your videos you react so fast and your moves flow. For me they are choppy and slight pauses:urg: So do you suggest the Cstick ro are you skilled with the control stick and suggest me learn the Control stick?:)

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
I think djc Nair has the ability to fill out on a niche in edge-guarding versus Space Animals. Before, I had no way to prevent them from nagging the edge with illusion while using Shadowball. Now, I believe this can stop them and at least force them to do a Fire Fox.

I will explore some more uses as things go along.

I borrowed theorycraft from Starcraft >.>

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
Nair for an edge guard? not a chance. I think that peepz are placing too much emphasis on this move. Let me remind you all that nair is a low priority and low range move. You will get blasted with any up b move. I don't think that it would be a good idea. D-smash all the way! :)
nair as an edge guard?
a definate yes.

---------------------

if your opponent is well below the stage and u have the time, fall down and nair him.
characters such as fox needs a bit of time before they activate their UpB.
the nair, in this scenario, has a good chance of stage spiking them or knocking them back too far away to recover with their upB.

again, in the situation where your opponent is below the stage recovering, some characters take time to recover and their recoveries dont barely pose any thread when they are below you. in these situations, nair is also a good alternative to bair and uair. since, bair and nair doesnt hit directly below you and dair is too hard to aim.

examples for this situation include ... fox, link, pichu, pikachu, cfalcon, ganon.

take note that if you plan of stage spiking your target, you are likely falling and nairing BEHIND him... meaning his upB is unlikely to hit you.

---------------------------

in the air, lots of characters are vulnerable, because using aerials can drag them down too far below the stage. for those characters, just about any attack with a knockback is a good idea

the the last shock of nair is convenient because it either projects your target left or right with set angles and projectility. The nair not back doesnt throw targets in random direction.

on top of that, the timing isnt hard to catch. nair last for roughly 1 second.
usually, run out to your opponent with a full hop nair and use fast fall as well as DI to aim your last shock.

practically, it isnt hard to aim at all.

-------------------

knowing these, nair can serves as a good alternative to for bair/uair depending on situations, your direction, positioning, and etc.

sry that my response is long... hope it doesnt make it less appealing to read

quak

Smash Champion
i'd say when/if you have the time to bair, always do that since it's slighty more reliable

but u should use nair as an edgeguard only if A) you do not have enough time to set up bair chains or B) your opponent is in too awkward of a position for bair chaining.

And if you don't have time for either, throw out a smash.

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
This is to Ario, just to help support my ideas. Comments welcome

i don't like to nair because there are so many other ways of edgeguarding that are in my oppion so more effective. I normally never jump off of the edge. However lets say that in this case i decide to, I will always use bair because I have a much better chance of pulling it off before getting hit and the like. Also bair has some nice knockback and usaually if you can land a Bair of the edge you can get the kill.

Situation 2. This is what I normally do, sit on the edge. I throw a few well placed SB and wait for the recovery, and respond with an easy Dsamsh causing death. this meathod is really safe and highly effecive!

While you can nair when off of the edge I just don't think that it is your best option. If you hit them twards the wall-they wall teck and smash you in the face with an arial or an up b. Once again I just think that nair is not long ranged enough or have the priority to compare with m2's bair. While I admit that bair is harder to connect than nair all you need is some practice! :) Also in the situations when you cannot use bair (ie they are right below the stage, you know that it's really hard to sweet spot which makes it really easy for a Dsmash.

Anyway just my 2 cents!

Airo

Smash Lord
This is to Ario, just to help support my ideas. Comments welcome

i don't like to nair because there are so many other ways of edgeguarding that are in my oppion so more effective. I normally never jump off of the edge. However lets say that in this case i decide to, I will always use bair because I have a much better chance of pulling it off before getting hit and the like. Also bair has some nice knockback and usaually if you can land a Bair of the edge you can get the kill.

Situation 2. This is what I normally do, sit on the edge. I throw a few well placed SB and wait for the recovery, and respond with an easy Dsamsh causing death. this meathod is really safe and highly effecive!

While you can nair when off of the edge I just don't think that it is your best option. If you hit them twards the wall-they wall teck and smash you in the face with an arial or an up b. Once again I just think that nair is not long ranged enough or have the priority to compare with m2's bair. While I admit that bair is harder to connect than nair all you need is some practice! :) Also in the situations when you cannot use bair (ie they are right below the stage, you know that it's really hard to sweet spot which makes it really easy for a Dsmash.

Anyway just my 2 cents!
mewtwo has LOTS of edgeguarding options, bairs, uairs, nairs and etc all have their own situations where they are the best option.

the thing about bair, is that most characters either recover to the stage from above, or below, rarely at the elevation of the stage, where they are most vulnerable. with this reason, opportunities to use bair DO come, but bair (with a hitbox at 180degrees), you will rarely be able to hit your opponent with it.

again, i would like to emphasize that nair edgeguard are most suitable when your enemy is semi below stage level

dsmash certainly is an effective edgeguard but there are also MANY situations where dmash is ineffective.
definately dont rely too much on dsmash.

as for nair stage spike getting teched, its probability is so much lower than dsmash.

in conclusion
all of mewtwo's edgeguards have its place.
there are many situations where different moves are more favorable to use than other.

quak

Smash Champion
the bair has alot more manuverablity than your giving it credit for, roughly the only place where the nair can hit easier than the bair is if you opponent is hugging the stage wall, but with it's massive range and mewtwo's great recovery, you don't have to worry about really throwing yourself far out there to get the kill.

Airo

Smash Lord
well.. quak... thats essentially my points bunched up nicely. =p

(if you wana go nickpicking deep with me....read next part.... its barely makes any difference, so ignore if you would like)

comparing nair with bair when used to edgeguard a recovering opponent at stage level...................

as for manuverablitiy, nair is also easy to control in the sense that you are essentially jumping and timing your fast fall.

bair and nair is also different in the sense that bair requires spacing, while with nair, you just wana touch him with your last hit.

because you are activating your bair at the scene,
and that nair is activated before the scene,
nair has less lag time than bair.

because the lag time is less, you can use your second jump right after your last hit before your character falls low.

meaning, with nair, you can actually reach a little farther away from the stage than bair. (considering the fact that you are aiming to hit the target and recover safely)

oh... and

it is easier to jump forward than to jump backwards and maintain the same amount of DI

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
um... couldn't we like jump backwards and fast fall a bair so as to hit someone, then use the MASSIVE second jump to get back? I think that's easy..

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Taj is the best Mewtwo main evar. Don't believe me? Tough super ultra ninja cookies.

... I had to do it... sticky'd?... can't wait again..

quak

Smash Champion
sure, gimme another reason to regret going to oc3 :p

but i might be showing up to 'super' champ combo in september, maybe you can school me then

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
taj you're awesome..will i get to see m2 vids of FCD? i'm just hoping..i'm not really a m2 main at all, so i don't come to these forums often..as far as i'm concerned the limit of what i actually need for my m2 is wwhere to sweetspot on the tail..and i learned that a few months ago..however, taj you should make a matchup guide sometime and just discourse on what you think of each matchup

honestly though i am curious what mew2's worst matchup is...from my thoughts it would be either fox or marth but meh...i was kinda shocked but one of the people who i play with regularly is a mew2 main...his skill level started out way higher than mine was back then..i think it was the strain of attempting to play mew2 against top tier..but now i've gotten too good to lose to his mew2..that said, mew2's style rocks..i enjoy playing him more than any other of the ultra low tier characters:p

Dark Bulb 4.1

Smash Journeyman
I've got a question.

I've mained falco at touries for a good 2 years or more, but I can't seem to advance with him how I would like, I play well with him, but I don't feel he's my character. I've picked up mewtwo, read the guides, watched the videos, and trying my *** off to switch mains. Problem is that I do many things out of habit, and pay dearly (picture Mewtwo's SHL, and an aproach). I love aproaching the opponent, but once I'm there, I start playing like falco, and tend not to do what mewtwo was meant to do, as well as edgeguarding out of habit, the wrong way. Are there any hints for people who character hop like this? Or is the trick, to stick with it till I have it down? I'm so bored of playing falco already, any input, any would help.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
I know that habits in Smash are kinda hard to break, but maining both Falco and M2 together can really help your skill level. + Taj is at OC3 rite now so that's just my opinion.

Also, can't wait for SC2/2.5 this is gonna be beast.

ferroqual

Smash Rookie
I've been having. . .issues against a game & watch player recently.
specifically, I can't seem to get around/punish his fair and close play style.
any suggestions?

what (usually) ends up happening to me is he dtilt/mindgames me into the air, pulls out a fair combo, wrapping it up with a dair keyblade--since usually I abuse my shield earlier in the match, it hits even if I can get away and shield in time.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
is this one of those "ask the Pro" threads? hence stickied?
Yes, this is one of those "ask the Pro" threads. :)

Ferroqual: Inbetween G&W's SHFFL Forward airs if you can anticipate another one spaced on your shield you can interrupt him with a short hop neutral air out of shield. Neutral air is probably your best option for fighting against a crouch canceling G&W as well.

F-air doesn't really combo Mewtwo all that badly unless you're just sitting in the air and not jumping or teleporting away, or you're DIing into all of his stuff. So in the air, you're not really going to beat him, but you have a lot more air maneuverability so you shouldn't be punished in the air if you're playing intelligently.

ferroqual

Smash Rookie
or you're DIing into all of his stuff.
I think that might be the cause of my problem. That, and the 'playing intelligently' part.
ah well, practice makes perfect.:laugh:
I'll see how badly I slaughter my friends G&W tomorrow.

Airo

Smash Lord
welll then.

taj,

Q1
in general, should mewtwo EVER result to aerial approaches?
aside from intercepting enemies already in the air.

Q2
against projectile happy characters that dont really approach you, (mario, link, samus, etc)
should mewtwo approach or stay patient and wait for him to approach? if mewtwo should try to approach, should he stick to the ground and attempt to wd between shielding or go aerial?

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I can help :p

1: You shouldn't be approaching with SHFFL'd or DJC'ed aerials unless you're punishing something, tech chasing on a platform, or intercepting aerials. WD d-tilt and grabs are far better options, and dash attack his its place.

2: Taj, from what I've seen, tends to win out by throwing baby shadowballs and teleporting behind opponents when they're throwing laggy projectiles. If a Link throws a bomb, you can get away with forward+b since the explosion remains an active weapon. If they want to camp, just get a damage lead and avoid the projectiles. Force them into "really fighting" and then space your grabs or tilts to gain the advantage--as much of one as M2 can get, anyhow. If it's a Samus doing something silly like short hop missile cancel onto platforms, then falling through with another missile cancel, then repeating, teleporting into close range is probably your best option.

Uhh... I think that's what works. :D

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
So Taj, did you play/beat/**** KOS-MOS with your Mewtwo when he was up there in AZ?

And I must say, I don't think I've ever seen so much explicit Smash knowledge expounded upon by any individual before (well, maybe if you count M2K's frame data thread), it's too good. So, leikz... how does I not get ***** by you in tournament?

(Humor me lolz :colorful:)

Though on a serious note, Coty once told me that Mewtwo's nair outprioritizes Jigglypuff. Is this true?

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I have a semi mewtwo related question. Where the hell did that "Jump On It" thing come from that you kept chanting at OC3?

Airo

Smash Lord
I can help :p

1: You shouldn't be approaching with SHFFL'd or DJC'ed aerials unless you're punishing something, tech chasing on a platform, or intercepting aerials. WD d-tilt and grabs are far better options, and dash attack his its place.

2: Taj, from what I've seen, tends to win out by throwing baby shadowballs and teleporting behind opponents when they're throwing laggy projectiles. If a Link throws a bomb, you can get away with forward+b since the explosion remains an active weapon. If they want to camp, just get a damage lead and avoid the projectiles. Force them into "really fighting" and then space your grabs or tilts to gain the advantage--as much of one as M2 can get, anyhow. If it's a Samus doing something silly like short hop missile cancel onto platforms, then falling through with another missile cancel, then repeating, teleporting into close range is probably your best option.

Uhh... I think that's what works. :D
1) im pretty much curious as to the potentials of mewtwo's aerial approaches.
from what ive seen in the community, i think im pretty much one of the most grounded mewtwo ._." which in turn becomes a huge hazard against spammy characters.

2) short hop teleport appraoches only work once or twice each match. the sh teleport distance is set and the small load up time is enough to be predicted.

some spammy characters simply spam too fast for mewtwo to approach safely on ground.

forward B against bombs are also dangerous because you end up having much more lag time than the link. hence the link can throw a boomering in your face and commence to aerial followups.

reflecting the bomb with foward B also doesnt have a good chance of hitting him. the link also has all the room and capability to be spamming and moving around.

baby shadowball has its place and are great for slowing down your opponents, but it barely works against faster spammers, eg ylink, samus.

so my question is: how reliable is it for me to go aerial, i do have a nair that can cancel out doc pills and mario fireballs.

wd and dtilts are nice, but you have to get close enough first. and just getting there could rack up heavy damage that may be unnecessary.

--
thanks for reading
--

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
1) im pretty much curious as to the potentials of mewtwo's aerial approaches.
from what ive seen in the community, i think im pretty much one of the most grounded mewtwo ._." which in turn becomes a huge hazard against spammy characters.

2) short hop teleport appraoches only work once or twice each match. the sh teleport distance is set and the small load up time is enough to be predicted.

some spammy characters simply spam too fast for mewtwo to approach safely on ground.

forward B against bombs are also dangerous because you end up having much more lag time than the link. hence the link can throw a boomering in your face and commence to aerial followups.

reflecting the bomb with foward B also doesnt have a good chance of hitting him. the link also has all the room and capability to be spamming and moving around.

baby shadowball has its place and are great for slowing down your opponents, but it barely works against faster spammers, eg ylink, samus.

so my question is: how reliable is it for me to go aerial, i do have a nair that can cancel out doc pills and mario fireballs.

wd and dtilts are nice, but you have to get close enough first. and just getting there could rack up heavy damage that may be unnecessary.

--
thanks for reading
--
Airo: Mewtwo's aerial approaches aren't very good unless they're above you on a platform or shielding on the ground. Being a "ground" Mewtwo is pretty much the only Mewtwo. You can't really use a SHFFL or DJC to approach unless you space off of their shield or try to mix it up into a grab.

SH Teleport always works if you throw it out correctly. It has very little lag anyway, so you can immediately take evasion even if they do happen to see it. Remember you're not just using it as an approach, you're using it in between their laggy spam to close the distance and make them uncomfortable.

Forward B on bombs always work if you use the end of confusion, not the beginning as the deflect lasts a very long time.

You want to keep yourself in a position where Samus can't effectively missile spam but also can't easily use her get off of me moves. You want to be in a position where you can throw baby shadowballs and force Samus into the air where you can force her to early neutral air and get your own neutral airs in. In this particular match up you also want to short hop neutral air crouch cancel whores and grab them more often do to her better aerial priority. (BTW I at least beat HugS in friendlies at OC3 with M2)

Getting close isn't that hard as long as you keep approaching with your shield up ready to move, it's landing enough hits then landing the grab for up throw. Samus dies really early, starting up throw at 104% is death on FD.

Young Link is more spammy, but has less ground range than Samus, so it can be more frustrating, but getting inside is your main priority then landing the grab to start your pressure game tech chasing and calling his jumps. You can even try catching some bombs if he's throwing them out poorly and making something out of them.

EDIT: Raging Asian- Jump on it! Is an old school song by the Sugar Hill Gang called Apache. It was also featured in a Fresh Prince of Bel-Air episode and it is just what we started chanting between stocks when AZ was playing. :)

Omega: He's the Peach player right? No I didn't play him with my M2 when he was there, he didn't want to money match me. :p That and I was occupied with my WoW weekend since I had no work.

M2's N-air doesn't out prioritize jiggs, but it does keep jiggs from trying to cross up M2's shield with aerials.

Airo

Smash Lord
thanks for the reply and analysis <3

ehms. a follow up question about the ylink: how should i react to boomerangs.

shielding them would return the boomerang to ylink so that he could quickly toss it again.
evading them means i would have to watch out for the boomerang's return trip. trying to get behind him isnt always so easy either.

Ark(angel)

Smash Cadet
Im new to mewtwo, but i want improve mine. Im fine with wavedashing and the like, but im never sure when to try and bair->ledgehog a link that i play. He uses the hookshot and goes underneath me.

Any suggestions on how to hit him into the stage or something so he doenst get past me?

And i also play against a jigglypuff, should i just be throwing baby/charged shadowballs and retreating into f/d smash?

Thanks

Top Bottom