• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I don't think they're baseless ideas, I think we're all just theorycrafting (or theorysmashing in this case). We should encourage people to keep trying to find hidden strats a tech, because even if it isn't 100% viable, having more options is ALWAYS a good thing. The reason Mewtwo or even my Mewtwo for that matter is able to compete on the national stage is because I know more than the opponents do. Mewtwo isn't completely terrible, he just has huge GLARING weaknesses.

These weaknesses can be cloaked and suppressed with solid play. Yes, you have to work harder than the other guy, but if you play it correctly, even if the opponent does pretty well, you're still competitive, which is the point I think ChivalRuse and others are trying to make.

What I hate is how incomplete of a character Mewtwo is. Two of his special moves aren't working as intended at all. Confusion being as slow as it is, would be a great move if it always forced techs with grab-like priority. Unfortunately, you can be punished for landing such a difficult to land move by almost every character or everyone can just jump out of it before you can make use of it. Disable also having TERRIBLE everything. It is slow, its range could be better, it has a requirement for the opponent to be grounded and facing you. I'd rather have Sing because it at least lasts long enough at 50%+ for you to recover from the move's lag and punish with a powerful attack.

If Disable effectively shut down the opponent's aerials, or didn't have a facing requirement or was left as it were and hit through shields, then it would be exactly what Mewtwo needs to be a tourney viable character. As it is, the stun doesn't last very long at all, can be powershielded/reflected, and can still get you punished for landing it because it has VERY brief aerial stun which allows every character to refresh whatever aerial they were doing before they touch the ground. The only thing saving Mewtwo is that it is such a difficult to land and underused move that it just catches people off guard and they don't know how to respond to it, even if they have a lot of Mewtwo experience.

So, basically I don't mean for everyone to stop trying to post ideas and strats, I'm just looking for things that are universal and consistent. Something that can shut down people that can Smash DI out of your forward air combos, something that can punish someone even if they know the match-up, as well as things that can stomp the unexpecting opponent, because that's one of my favorite things about playing Mewtwo. They never see it coming. :)

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
@seantheconsidine
It was an idea of a followup to a successful Disable. not... in real combat... in which IDK how you would use a slower move than CFalcon's dair with a slower character than Falcon and with less range.

PM is not Melee. Even though I <3 shanus, it's not gonna be The Melee.

Also, I wish Mewtwo's uair was better

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
Mewtwo's U-air also has lots of priority at the sweetspot; enough to eat through Bowser's Dair when its already out... for example. lol.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
It covers a nice angle but the trajectory it sends for edgeguarding is like lol try again... with a good chance

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I use uair for edgeguarding alot. I use ledge cancels to bair into uairs and go for the sweet spot. uair is faster and I like the knockback better.

at around 135ish it starts to kill depending on how high up u were when you hit with it. you can easily downtilt

into double jump uair and its pretty inescapable.

Uair ****ing *****. in the air, on the ground, forward and backward. You should be able to rely on m2s uair is you know how to make it happen.

^more garble, but its pretyt much true^

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Does anyone know what moves extend Mewtwo's hurtbox the most? I know bair, utilt, and dtilt are pretty bad.

In other news, reverse shadow ball charge cancelling -> ftilt combos at highish percents on most characters. I did not formerly know this.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
yes, anyone who has a tricky time using Uair once they've learned where the sweetspot is simply isn't using it properly. it's much more useful than it would seem.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I thought it always seemed extremely useful. Back air, too. Two moves that people could stand to use a little more.

I gimped a Fox the other day using neutral air. Does anybody else do this? If timed right you can follow Fox off the edge and get a whole n-air animation off leaving him pretty far down from the edge, then I just edge hog.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I do it with wavelands. Ftilt and waveland off to a nair. In the middle of it DI towards the stage, or away if you want to shoot them into the stage.

The Di part is a general rule, not guarunteed.

Also, If they smash DI out you can get shined.

Chanda The Panda

Smash Rookie
I'm just wondering, when is it appropriate to dair meteor smash? It was apparent during Shadowclaw that it can occasionally be a good idea, but I'm just curious as to when such a situation would arise, as whenever I try to do it I'm meteor canceled. Conversely, when it would be more effective, namely at high damage, it just isn't worth it in comparison to other easier KO methods.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
curious

taj how did u get SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD???

also do u think its weird that i have mewtwo as my smash character in my box thingy even though hes like a thirdary and i have like 3 characters above him as secondaries and main? (falcon, ganon, pika)

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I'm just wondering, when is it appropriate to dair meteor smash? It was apparent during Shadowclaw that it can occasionally be a good idea, but I'm just curious as to when such a situation would arise, as whenever I try to do it I'm meteor canceled. Conversely, when it would be more effective, namely at high damage, it just isn't worth it in comparison to other easier KO methods.
i only use mewtwo's dair when there's no chance that the foe will survive, even if they cancel it. in a last stock *slap in the face* kind of way lmao.

very situational though.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I use it all the time.

If you hit them when they are farther out they have no choice but to metor or die. If you grab ledge they will prob get edgehogged.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol, vish that was prob the best edit you have ever done.

Cant wait to see more of your better than mine m2 lol.

Question for Taj-When you upthrow into confusion, can they still bair you out of it or do you fall out of the way. I guess Im also wondering about with and without the stall.

(You get stalled when you do it the first time in the air, ever time after that there is not stall until you land.)

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol I should have figured m2 wouldnt be able to get away,

kinda creepy how fast you responded lol. master taj lurks his thread in hopes somebody will ask something.

Whats the word on SC4 or SCF2?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Yeah, Zhu said that the Genesis match was like 2-3 hours of friendlies in the making. Saving everything for M2K in tournament.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Taj~
so I was playing smash like all night and was super focused and just ****** my friend with my fox falco marth pikachu sheik and falcon.

I was just working on my spacing and playing safe vs technical and more reckless.

then I started playing m2. I seemed to be more consistent but the games were alot closer. I haven't seen you play reckless and just try to be as relentless as possible but what do you think about the pay out vs the risk?

when you are playing where do you draw the line of playing reserved vs going all in and trying to get a bigger reward at a much higher risk?

let me know if this question is confusing, I been up all night and im posting from my phone lol.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Good question, I think I subconsciously draw the line based on my percentage and their percentage. For example, if I'm ahead in stock but at high percentage, it pays more to be patient. If I'm at high percentage and they're same stock low percentage, it might pay off more to be a little bit more reckless to get the extra percentage and a gimp.

Mewtwo is a character that doesn't benefit nearly as much as the characters you listed when playing risky/reckless. Obviously Fox, Falcon, Sheik, Marth, and Pikachu all have powerful gimping tools, edgeguards, combos, and punishes that Mewtwo simply doesn't have. Everything you do with Mewtwo needs to have a strong purpose and typically higher probability of success because failure could be a huge combo string, or a KO. Where Fox's failures may result in a huge combo string or KO, it is typically from technical blunders and rarely the adaptation of the opponent.

To answer your question as accurately as I can right now... I would say that you only go all in when you know you have the hand that will win. Whether the opponent bites on it is up to them. The mind games usually take care of themselves because the opponent is always uncertain if I'm going to continue to pressure or if I'm going to back off again and wait for the next opening. If they panic, they get owned again, which is probably where this "relentless" vibe may come from me.

I hope that helps.

What the **** are you supposed to be when Falco is pressuring your shield?
You have to be patient and wait for a mistimed aerial or get away with light shields and teleport out of shields. Try to time powershields, teleports, and wavedashes into his SHL approach to mess up his spacing and rhythm. It's all about calling the SHL with your tilts/grabs/confusion or punishing with powershield and shieldgrabs then holding onto your techchase and combo as long as you can.

Mewtwo can live for a long time against Falco with good DI, but Falco is generally building up the percentage uncontested most of the match. You just have to make what you finally get count.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
YEa that helps.

My m2 is technical, and when Im warned up (johns lol) technically sound.

Im thinking I need to readjust the balance between flashy technical and conservative. Sometimes its too much, sometimes its not enough. Against players better than me I dont usually have that problem but Im trying to make it easier to adjust so that Im more consistent. There are just those days where m2 feels sluggish and wont ****ing move and others I swear fox couldnt catch me if he wanted to. (laser>****>lol)

I have some matches Im going to clip and post and I want to you look at em if you dont mind. Ill most likely post some of each, more conservative and more liberal.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
YEa that helps.

My m2 is technical, and when Im warned up (johns lol) technically sound.

Im thinking I need to readjust the balance between flashy technical and conservative. Sometimes its too much, sometimes its not enough. Against players better than me I dont usually have that problem but Im trying to make it easier to adjust so that Im more consistent. There are just those days where m2 feels sluggish and wont ****ing move and others I swear fox couldnt catch me if he wanted to. (laser>****>lol)

I have some matches Im going to clip and post and I want to you look at em if you dont mind. Ill most likely post some of each, more conservative and more liberal.
^^ this sounds like my problem.

last tourny I went to (Last week) i lost in Mewtwo dittos to DarkDragoon. of course I HATE M2 dittos (and have said so many times), while he loves them. whereas I'm much more technical, he's more experienced in the match-up (If you can call it one) and therefore beats me. so this is the question... how the heck do you fight Mewtwo with Mewtwo?!?!

P.S. i beat his *** best out of 3 next set with Marth (Who's my tourny main). 2-1 me. 0-death on FD. how sweet. :bee:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Okay, I've been playing Mewtwo for two days now (huzzah) and still liking it.
I noticed when you use a tag your teleport is MUCH easier to read/follow.
How useful is it to not use a tag? I think I'm not gonna use one, every little advantage I can get is useful.

Also, is there some thread that analyzes grabs and has everything I want to know about them, including combos/followups, setups, etc.?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I use to hate m2 dittos. but that was just an excuse to sandbag and save face if I lost.

There is nothing wrong with m2 dittos. Its actually good practice. because of m2s nair(opponents) you cant go all in and you have to know when to back away.

They can be a little less exciting tho, and punishes are usually kinda weak. But still you should get use to it.

Im working on a thread but its been on a halt because my friend chose booty over bringing the AR like he was suppose to. and he is a zelda player. not that that means anything. just sayin.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Tags won't make it THAT much easier to follow your teleports. It's only useful to not use a tag on larger stages like Battlefield, Dreamland, and FoD to a lesser extent. If they know where you're gonna go, they know where you're gonna go regardless of your tag.

There is no such thread because Mewtwo's throws don't allow guaranteed follow ups except at low percentage and then DI often forces drastically different follow ups. Mewtwo doesn't have up throw up air, or down throw forward air like Fox and Sheik respectively. The most you'll be able to get are spacies combos involving up throw > up tilt/DJC Forward air/ Full hopped Forward air/Neutral air > then... you should see where this is going already... There are too many variables for each follow up. You really just have to watch and respond, or 50/50 left and right DI to extend your combos beyond 2-3 hits.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
If I take my tag off,

you know its ****ing serious lol.

I do think that if they dont know where you are going the tag can definately give them a half step heads up during the travel process. Not making much of a difference but only helping them by a very small margin.

So it can only help them, but its almost negligable.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I use to hate m2 dittos. but that was just an excuse to sandbag and save face if I lost.

There is nothing wrong with m2 dittos. Its actually good practice. because of m2s nair(opponents) you cant go all in and you have to know when to back away.

They can be a little less exciting tho, and punishes are usually kinda weak. But still you should get use to it.
I don't say that to save face. even the once in a blue moon that i do play a Mewtwo ditto and win, I still hate it and still say so.

He and i will be playing eachother more often what with there being more tournies sprouting around our respective region, so i'll get some practice in. =)

Top Bottom