• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
It's a very situational use, but it can loosely be used for getting a little more distance and height in order to back air someone. If shadow ball cancels worked in one frame and Mewtwo had a more effective back air like Fox/Falco...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I pretty much only do it to look like im doing something tight.

If they are wayy off the stage ill turn around a few times and then bair. On a spacies it will pretty much always beat the side b tho-their hitbox for that move literally runs behind them so hit them and then come up with a bair or uair.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
So I just found out that if you DJC a D-air as fast as possible(well it doesn't have to be as fast as possible), Mewtwo will not have lag animation from the D-air. This may not be great but at least I can Mindgame my opponents with the Sound of Mewtwo's D-air then follow it up with a Dtilt.
---------
Hmmm...I wonder if a Falco/Doc/Fox/other will be fooled by it if I do this right before A charged Shadow Ball. Perhaps they will gasp at the sound of Mewtwo's D-air and stall like FastLikeaTree...

A stupid idea, yet pretty cool =P
-If any of you guys know about this, how many of you guys use it?

EDIT: Follow it up with a Disable/confusion =D ; even stupider!!!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
99% sure that has no uses whatsoever. A lot of characters can perform an AC aerial by landing extremely early into the move (Ness with his dair, for example). The hitbox doesn't come out, though, so I can't see how this could be implemented usefully, mindgames or not.

The Prophet_

Smash Apprentice
So I just found out that if you DJC a D-air as fast as possible(well it doesn't have to be as fast as possible), Mewtwo will not have lag animation from the D-air. This may not be great but at least I can Mindgame my opponents with the Sound of Mewtwo's D-air then follow it up with a Dtilt.
---------
Hmmm...I wonder if a Falco/Doc/Fox/other will be fooled by it if I do this right before A charged Shadow Ball. Perhaps they will gasp at the sound of Mewtwo's D-air and stall like FastLikeaTree...

A stupid idea, yet pretty cool =P
-If any of you guys know about this, how many of you guys use it?

EDIT: Follow it up with a Disable/confusion =D ; even stupider!!!
@This^

99% sure that has no uses whatsoever. A lot of characters can perform an AC aerial by landing extremely early into the move (Ness with his dair, for example). The hitbox doesn't come out, though, so I can't see how this could be implemented usefully, mindgames or not.
Yeah pretty much agree with you; just an idea worth mentioning you ;)

SDC

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's dair sucks, it's part of life.

The mewtwo boards has everything all wrong, instead of trying to find new techniques out (which is pointless, as one that makes mew2 a good character will never be found), we should all be focusing on learning to outsmart people. That's going to be our biggest key to success.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I like m2s dair. Its slow yess, but fine for edgeguaring off stage. You can tech chase with it as well. if you Dj c it you can mindgame a lil bit to hit with it.

However-that djc dair sound is ****ing terrible. Its not like on stage its a kill move- its not like its fast- its not like the sound is even recognizable by non m2 players.

They wont even know the sound and you will prob just miss the l cancel and get it. Not to mention you cant really follow it up. u are better doing a djc nair or fair to bait them or be flashy. Or just stand there.

If you wanna be technical then just I djc your jump. I actually think it might be the nair with no hitbox or sparks. It just looks like u tried to jump and then landed. thats more of a fakeout than anything

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Become faster, perform flawless fundamentals like wavedashes and l cancels. Try to find as many ways to flow between attacks by ledge cancels, clean l cancels, and auto cancels as you can. Find new things to train like teleporting from platforms at different angles, from the ledge, around, and off the stage.

See how close to getting the land canceled teleports as you can from each platform from various angles. Then practice moving in ways that can consistently get you to those platforms. When you're bored of practicing movement, practice combos on specific characters that you're not too familiar with, mine would be CF atm, and see what's actually consistent at low % so you know how to maximize your grab combos on these characters and when you need to back out of the combo.

Maybe I'll make a Shadow Claw Free 2. :D

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... I guess I do need to work on my teleport. Thanks Taj.

And yes, Captain Falcon scares the hell out of me. I have no idea how to play against him. All my moves seem ineffective and it sucks.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I like doin this thing on dreamland where you teleport to the corner of the low platform and then you pivot and fade back a tad and telepot straight down to the ledge.

On yoshis is works really nice because the ledge is over the edge so you can pivot and teleport straight down.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
And yes, Captain Falcon scares the hell out of me. I have no idea how to play against him. All my moves seem ineffective and it sucks.
to play against Falcon you have to grow some balls lol. :p :laugh:

But really, that's not a good match-up. there are ways however. Falcon has overwhelming offensive and combo capabilities, but overall his defense is lacking, with poor tech rolls and somewhat poor priority on several of his moves (Not all of them though).

Lately i've been experimenting with Fairing Falcon out of air moves.

Have a look.

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Captain_Falcon_frames_11.6.05.txt

http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Mewtwo_frames_11.6.05.txt

The timing is tight with Falcon's Nair and Uair, but Shadowclaw is twice as fast as Falcon's Bair (5 frames vs 10 frames) and over twice as fast as the Dair and the Knee (Shadowclaw hits @ frame 5 and Falcon's D-air and Knee hit @ frame 16 and 14 respectivly).

I've found that this can really throw off the Falcon players timing and rythm and at med % this is a combo starter for you because you can get some free hits in the stun of M2's fair IF you act fast enough, then you can start an offensive of your own. there are a lot of variables to that though.

Mind you, this requires the proper spacing and timing, and if the Falcon is Nair/Uair happy I don't even bother trying to disrupt it, you just need to get the heck out of there somehow. (Nair sometimes works)

Overall, it's better to learn Sheik to deal with Falcon. However you can incorperate some of what Sheik uses against Mr. Manly to Mewtwo; tech chasing comes to mind. I'm a little lazy right now so I'll leave detail on that to better players than me.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Yea, Of all the matches I saw on the stream, TAjs were legit. just fun to watch.

Idk if ppl notice but alot of the stuff he does is just him clownin. Like asserting dominance by teleporting into a teeter before SUNCing(?) lol

taj$

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
well as a combo breaker u should just smash DI hard away.

You can get out of most of falcons stuff that way. But if you can get it in clean u might want to smash DI away and fair.

Sometimes you can hit it b4 they get u. sometimes the fair cause u to get hit if you dont DI far enough away.

BC AL

Smash Journeyman
Heyy i was planning to pick up mewtwo ever since how much **** i saw Taj did to those guys in friendlies in the pound 4 livestream :p
any tips on how to pick up mewtwo?

and this might seem like a noob question but...
how do u do the ledge stall when mewtwo drops away from the ledge and up b's into the ledge....for some reason i keep missing the edge...

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
:D I got to experiment on a few things at Pound 4, hopefully I'll be able to share some new tricksies with my next series of vids.

I've talked to Mango and Amsah about them picking up Mewtwo and it seems that it is no easy feat for them either. You have to change your mindset drastically if you hope to play Mewtwo at a competitive level. Mango complained to me about Mewtwo "not having anything in front of him." I knew what he meant, and it really says how limited of a character he is, but it also showed just how much I had to evolve in order to make Mewtwo playable.

Using shadow ball to force people to move in a certain way, calling gaps in their advances, forcing poorly spaced aerials, tech chasing like I'll never get another moment to do damage, and keeping momentum are all things required for competitive Mewtwo play that are obviously still fundamental to other characters but Mewtwo doesn't have the luxury of priority, extended grab combos, and spammable projectiles used for comboing.

I've said this before, but Mewtwo is a character that literally has to beat the **** out of whoever he's playing all for the up throw against floaties and mid-fallers. Two phases, damage dealing phase and finisher phase. Where the high tiers pretty much have a combined phase of damage, pressure, and KO all rolled into one, especially Fox.

Between shield pressure with shines and SHFFLs, a strong grab game, and shine spike pressure just from doing any aerial to shine, then going to Mewtwo that has to carefully approach or you get grabbed and comboed, out prioritized by almost every character and being light and floaty. I don't know any other pro I've played with or spoken to that tried Mewtwo for more than a week and created anything new or interesting. :( Amsah said he would show me something new next time I saw him though, and Mango said he'd give M2 another shot, but these guys are Jiggs/Falco and Sheik mains respectively.

We can only hope!

If you've done Sheik's teleport stall, it's the same principle except you have to be a bit faster and make sure you're not holding down. You should be able to still hold diagonally toward the ledge and grab it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
new tricksies huh. Im interested.

Taj, Im trying to perfect some teleporting, like none other kinda ****. using a combination of smash and tilt teleports to quickly get from one ledge to the other in the most efficient possible way.

have you put in any sort of work on this, that would save me time, Im considering making a thread if I come up with enough ****. I mostly mean routines, useful and for the hell of it.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
:D I got to experiment on a few things at Pound 4, hopefully I'll be able to share some new tricksies with my next series of vids.

I've talked to Mango and Amsah about them picking up Mewtwo and it seems that it is no easy feat for them either. You have to change your mindset drastically if you hope to play Mewtwo at a competitive level. Mango complained to me about Mewtwo "not having anything in front of him." I knew what he meant, and it really says how limited of a character he is, but it also showed just how much I had to evolve in order to make Mewtwo playable.

Using shadow ball to force people to move in a certain way, calling gaps in their advances, forcing poorly spaced aerials, tech chasing like I'll never get another moment to do damage, and keeping momentum are all things required for competitive Mewtwo play that are obviously still fundamental to other characters but Mewtwo doesn't have the luxury of priority, extended grab combos, and spammable projectiles used for comboing.

I've said this before, but Mewtwo is a character that literally has to beat the **** out of whoever he's playing all for the up throw against floaties and mid-fallers. Two phases, damage dealing phase and finisher phase. Where the high tiers pretty much have a combined phase of damage, pressure, and KO all rolled into one, especially Fox.

Between shield pressure with shines and SHFFLs, a strong grab game, and shine spike pressure just from doing any aerial to shine, then going to Mewtwo that has to carefully approach or you get grabbed and comboed, out prioritized by almost every character and being light and floaty. I don't know any other pro I've played with or spoken to that tried Mewtwo for more than a week and created anything new or interesting. :( Amsah said he would show me something new next time I saw him though, and Mango said he'd give M2 another shot, but these guys are Jiggs/Falco and Sheik mains respectively.

We can only hope!

If you've done Sheik's teleport stall, it's the same principle except you have to be a bit faster and make sure you're not holding down. You should be able to still hold diagonally toward the ledge and grab it.
From what I've seen of Mango's play, I don't think he has the right skill set to play Mewtwo. I'm no expert obviously, but he is definitely on to something when he says you have to change your mindset. You have to be SOLID, like a wall almost. Very little room for mistakes and you have to know when to engage.

I'm so happy to see you interested in the metagame again Taj. I am still of the opinion that there is more to discover to Mewtwo. I believe that he has a lot of tools against fast-fallers, you just have to know when to hit it and quit (to quote Mr. Brown). Patience and tactical thinking is obviously essential, so I can see how not everybody can play as him. But the more I play and the better I get the more I am seeing how powerful Mewtwo can be.

I agree with your 'two-phase' theory Taj, but I also think that this is very representative of your style. When I watch you play it reminds me of a wolf; stalking his prey, watching and waiting, always moving toward his opponent and keeping pressure on. I feel like you approach Mewtwo with a 'no mercy' sort of attitude. But I believe Mewtwo's defensive capabilities are above average when compared to the rest of the cast. People have forgotten how to play defensive it seems... Making tactical retreats, knowing how to avoid conflict when you know you are going to take damage, simply shielding and dodging until the moment is right. Call me crazy, but I think Mewtwo requires a completely different view of the game if you want to be successful with him in tournament play. He is just one of a kind, and he can't be played like a Marth or Fox because he has completely different tools.

I feel like comparing myself to other Mewtwos that I've seen (mostly Vectorman and Taj) is some kind of travesty because I am still a scrub by every definition of the word, but bare with me... I used to try and play like the wolf. This was hard and I wasn't very successful at it for several reasons, but I won't go into that. Long story short, I had to change my strategy completely. I had to become more like the spider. Simply moving around, baiting attacks, letting my opponent get greedy. In the end, after a few small hits, they would leave an opening in their approach and I would hang them for it. I would hit it and quit. Once the damage is done I would go back to spinning my web. Of course, I'm still at the level where I get punished way too often, but I am slowly improving. If I feel the deck is stacked against me I simply won't take the chance. Teleport is amazing for entering and leaving battle, as is Mewtwo's wavedash and air-dodge (more so for retreating not advancing). He has a great ranged attack (I think so, anyway) and his recovery is ridiculous as well. I think we should use these to force our opponents into corners. Then strike. The rule I follow is: Never engage my enemy on their terms. If I've been playing this way from the beginning then I will usually always have the upper-hand.

I'm honestly so happy that you played Mewtwo at Pound 4, Taj. You're the master, and I don't want to seem presumptuous... but I feel like there is something missing whenever I watch you play (I haven't seen your Pound 4 vids yet). I don't know, I'll let you shake off the rust before I go into this. You're right though, Mewtwo really does have to be played in a superior manner. That much will never change. But we can slowly lessen the burden we have by making his metagame more efficient.

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I got carried away and forgot to ask :ohwell:.

I have been playing against Link lately that loves to pick Dreamland, mostly because he knows he can just jump around and chuck tonnes of bombs and boomerangs at me without retribution. He is also really good at using the hookshot to recover so he can live past 200% sometimes. I dunno, when he chooses to approach it's really unconventional and it seems like he out-ranges me on everything! And when I do manage to throw his *** out he just abuses my lack of edge guarding techniques. It's really annoying and surprisingly, he is giving me more trouble then the Foxes or Marths I play against. Is this normal?

I need some advice on how to deal with campy Links I guess, mostly how to edge guard them and keep them off the stage once they have been thrown off.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
just gotta have that swagga.

If you believe m2 is the hella good. He will also believe. Im so glad I picked m2 b4 I ever saw a melee tier list/played competitively. I dont think I would have been able to do it other wise.

*If you want something substantial ignore this and just wait for taj's response*

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
One basic thing I've seen Mango do with Falco and Jiggs is space an aerial against a shield to bait the shield grab and fsmash them in their whiffed grab.

We could do this with fair and then a down tilt instead of fsmash, or whatever.

BTW mastering Teleport is a *****

but it is worth it imo.

side note
yeahhh I haven't seen much Arizona post lately but I really love reading anything Forward, Wobbles, and Taj write.

SDC

Smash Lord
One basic thing I've seen Mango do with Falco and Jiggs is space an aerial against a shield to bait the shield grab and fsmash them in their whiffed grab.

We could do this with fair and then a down tilt instead of fsmash, or whatever.
Lol this would work if Mewtwo's shadowclaw had Jigglybuff's or Falco's bair's range, but it doesn't, so spacing this against their shield to set up a punish would be extremely hard.

----------------------------

Anyway, I've kind of made a decision, I was considering switching mains to sheik, she's so much easier, so much better, would make life so much easier. But then I remembered that I'm not really in it to win it, I'm in it cuz I love mew2. Yeah winning is fun, but am I going to win against the best even if I go with sheik? Hell no, I'm way behind them in experience. So I might as well approach this game with a casual mindset.

Then I realized, If I'm only going to approach this game from a non-serious mindset, why not just stick with the character that I have the most practice with, and is the one I actually like? I honestly am doubting whether I'm going to use sheik, I should probably just stick with mewtwo, why not? I could go sheik, practice with her alot in the hopes that someday I'll be good enough to compete at a high level with her, but I'm so far behind the rest of you, what's the point in that? I might as well just stay with the character I like, and eventually get kinda good with that character. It's happened before, just look at Taj, RRR, HDL, Germ, Gimpy, etc. If I use mewtwo for long enough I might just get good enough with him and his matchups to actually hold my own in a match.

One of the problems is, I hate getting ***** by Captain Falcon. I just hate it lol. I suck vs CF, but sheik makes it bearable. I can sort of hold my own against falcons with sheik. The mewtwo vs falcon matchup is like 90-10 in falcon's favor, the only thing mewtwo has is a semi-reliable edgeguard (if read correctly), and if you get lucky a kind of sort of maybe reliable tech chase on falcon (once again, if you read him correctly).
The mewtwo vs ganon/marth/sheik/samus matchups are bad as hell, and you get beaten badly, but not just straight up *****. I don't even like CF in the first place lol, so getting straight up ***** by him just makes me not want to play.

I think it comes down to whether or not I want to have fun by winning, have an easy character to use, have a less stressful match, have a much easier match to play, have a much less mentally taxing match to play, OR do I want to use the character I like, have the most experience with, and...that's it lol.
Basically, do I want to have fun by winning, or do I want to have fun by using the character I like?

Hmmmm........After giving this some thought, I think I might just stick with mewtwo, or just use the character that I feel like using at the time. If I'm in an impatient, frustrated mood, I'll go sheik, but if I'm feeling calm, relaxed, I'll go mewtwo. I might switch off depending on what I feel like, I think I'll still put a little practice into both, but for the most part, I think I'm sticking with mewtwo?

I'd like to thank a local MN smasher Tempest for getting me started thinking on the right path :)

Taj, what do you think? Should I go sheik, or just stick with mewtwo?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
How about playing both?

I play Marth, Fox, Sheik, Mewtwo and Flacon... and Ganon lol. (Not in that order but whatever.)

Learing how to play faster characters isn't a bad thing... just keep mewtwo around.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has a helllaaaaaaaaaaaaaa learning curve.

Also, Mango's shieldgrab bait move uses Falco's dair more than bair. That range is pretty small; Falco makes up for it with aerial mobility. There's no reason why M2 can't do this.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Taj we had some really good friendlies at Pound. By then end of the Mewtwo challenge...I think I won like 2 or 3 out of roughly 10 games.

So **** beast. I've been trying for a long time to learn Mewtwo, but I've never seen **** like what you pulled on me. You did some 0-80% multi-platform chase on Dreamland that I will never forget.

I'm going to start taking Mewtwo seriously now.

Animal

Smash Lord
im hearing so much hype about these friendlies and i have been lookign everywhere for them. is there any vidss?

SDC

Smash Lord
Mewtwo has a helllaaaaaaaaaaaaaa learning curve.

Also, Mango's shieldgrab bait move uses Falco's dair more than bair. That range is pretty small; Falco makes up for it with aerial mobility. There's no reason why M2 can't do this.
That he does.

I might be wrong about this, but falco, fox, CF, Ganon, etc can get away with spamming ariels against opponent's shields because:
A. Their ariels are easier to space, if you want to try to "shield pressure" with mewtwo's fair you usually have to DJC it, which makes spacing it perfectly and reliably quite hard to do on a consistent basis.
B. Those other characters either have shine or jabs to back up their L-canceled ariels, mewtwo's jab is weak and sucks, and he has no shine. As far as I know, DJC fair is not a very good method of pressuring your opponent's shield. You're probably better off using tilts.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I am getting ready to do the frame data on it for my thread, but Ive broken a shield b4. I honestly dont know if they just made a bad decision and kept shielding or if there were times when they felt pressured.

my guess is that if it is any good, it has to be Idjc, and be as fast a possible, if you get their feet to show, you should be able to get an Idjc nair shield poke tho.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Is even doing a super low DJCed fair on shields out of the question? Mewtwo is ALWAYS unsafe?

I tried using SH autocancel bairs to poke and waveland away...

but he's so floaty that some characters can retaliate with SH aerials oos and get me before I can get away. laaame

Top Bottom