• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Sol was popular enough in that the last job he was suggested in made us unanimously agree that he's a shoe-in for DLC. Gordon Freeman, I can understand people wanting him in, but circumstances ATM tell me Chell might be the better pick here. We don't have a right-proper beat-em-up character in Smash so Kunio might have some immediate appeal, too.

D

Deleted member

Main reason Sol didn't win the fighting game job in base was that people all aggred he'd be a way better DLC pick so he has good chances imo.

Ryu is allways a soild pick and it would be a shame if we did dlc without adding him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
Really have problems deciding which of my three favorite options should vote first, Saber should be more niche but Fate has a huge general fanbase and would have a effect similar to Joker for example, attracting more people that aren't particulary Smash consumers even if the actual Smash playerbase would have mixed feelings. Sol is just the best option for a fourth FG franchise to be represented, and Hayabusa is a solid pick and has it sayed in the submission, he is basically an honorary Nintendo character, even if his more recent story has more relation to Xbox.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'm going with Gordon and Sol, Gordon is my most wanted character and Valve needs representation by now, Chell might have more sense but Half-Life is more iconic and classic. Sol is an interesting character and all but since I personally like GG and his soundtrack I'm voting for him just for that. I don't know about my third vote tho, probably Scorpion or Vaas.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Writing Team
This isn't NASB. Smash doesn't do side characters first. Main characters always get that slot first. And don't try to BS me with Min Min or Pyra. The director of ARMS says there is no main character, and that everyone is; and Pyra/Mythra are just as much the Xeno2 protags as Rex is. I don't understand why every submission you do has to be some "off-the-cuff" pick.
036E95B3-FDC2-4EDF-BE46-5F8FF4ACD2BC.jpeg

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Submissions are closed

We will proceed with a discussion round about our current picks.

1) What are some strong candidates?
2) What are weak ones?
3) Which series could draw in content? Our previous franchises didn't really bring in a large turnout.
4) What character could make for a fun playstyle?
5) Which character would generate a lot of hype?
6) Are there any that would have a more surprising factor rather than hype?

In my opinion, a lot of submissions are really strong and the could fit as canditates like Kunio, Ryu Hayabusa, Sol, Scorpion, Travis and Avatar for notable examples that would get in some point. Some of questionable choices like King Dice don't fit, but they're kinda unusual, but not like Sol or Ryu.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
(Friendly reminder this is just personal opinion)
  1. I think Hayabusa, Sol, Freeman, Scorpion, Ezio, Saber, Ahri, The Trooper and Travis are the big names here, all of them represents big franchises and has some good moveset potential.
  2. The Avatar is the weakest here, I think the idea is cool specially since Ultima is like the grandfather of Final Fantasy but really isn't too much recognizible, King Dice and Vaas I feel they are also weak for reasons I don't want to tell to not start another discussion.
  3. Sol has good content potential if we go the Terry treatment on him. Add content from BlazBlue, Under Night In-Birth or even River City and Arcana Heart. Saber could also has a lot of content potential but I feel she has some problems with the avalaibility (for example a lot of recognizible songs from Fate comes from the anime and/or from japanese bands, get those songs could be hard).
  4. Real talk of all of them Maxwell would be funny, I think maybe he would work better for an assist but maybe you can do a good moveset for him without being too mad and uncontrollable. I always find the fg characters fun so Scorpion and Sol are this for me too, but that's more personal.
  5. Saber since Fate has a huge franchise, but at the same time could be divisive in the regular playerbase (you known, anime and swordies), Ahri and The Trooper would have similar effects having huge communities outside the game but having a lot of detractors in the Smash community.
  6. Scorpion since a lot of people takes him has impossible because the game is "banned" in Japan and MK in general is very gorey and people think he can't be represented in a good way without the blood.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Incorrect, Far Cry Vengance was on the Wii. Far Cry has more Nintendo history than Joker or Cloud does
Persona Q1, Q2, and Strikers, two of which Joker appears in.

KHCoM, Coded, Theatrhythm 1 & 2, Chocobo GP, FF7 itself, and all the other FF spinoffs Cloud is in...

Not to mention Vaas isn't in the shovelware Wii game, and thus is just objectively incorrect.

I will continue to criticize things I disagree with. You can not like it, but I'm not going to stop. Especially in regards to W3's submissions, which, frankly, shouldn't be allowed most of the time.

That's the point - that King Dice would force creative liberties and couldn't just get away with spamming laser attacks because it's "accurate". The way the Infinite thread runs and its obsession with source accuracy would hold back the cups big time and not allow them to properly fight using their rubberhose aesthetic. Notice how a lot of the things I described King Dice doing aren't things he does in the game? That's the point.

NASB is literally a superior game to Ultimate - the differences are night and day. Better moveset design and better mechanics, so everything that remotely matters is already covered.
You can't be serious. Even as a person who likes NASB, the objective fact of the matter is that it is not even remotely close to Smash. It's buggy, it's graphics are two generations behind, it's barely got an online playerbase, and mechanics are forced into the game to try to appeal to the Melee crowd which, btw, hasn't pulled it out of the stagnant hole it's in.

Also, you're argument that source accurate movesets are a bad thing? Mario doing a spindash would not fly for either Nintendo or SEGA. When you're working with the IPs of dozens of different companies, you need to take great care in crafting the way you represent them. Everything has to be approved by the owner - and just because Nickelodeon doesn't give two flying ****s about their characters in a game they don't even care about, doesn't mean other companies would act the same.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
You can't be serious. Even as a person who likes NASB, the objective fact of the matter is that it is not even remotely close to Smash. It's buggy, it's graphics are two generations behind, it's barely got an online playerbase, and mechanics are forced into the game to try to appeal to the Melee crowd which, btw, hasn't pulled it out of the stagnant hole it's in.

Also, you're argument that source accurate movesets are a bad thing? Mario doing a spindash would not fly for either Nintendo or SEGA. When you're working with the IPs of dozens of different companies, you need to take great care in crafting the way you represent them. Everything has to be approved by the owner - and just because Nickelodeon doesn't give two flying ****s about their characters in a game they don't even care about, doesn't mean other companies would act the same.
Sigh, please, do this in other side, I also don't like too much NASB but here isn't the place for talk about that. We aren't talking about the quality of NASB over Ultimate or viceversa. If you want to rant, go to other side. The topic is already dead.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Top picks for me are:

Ryu Hayabusa - A legacy character who deserves 100% a roster spot. I could care less about "but but but but so PREDICTUBULL!!!!" The character is super popular and has been talked about at length. It's time to add him in or, at least, another time.

Ezio: Not cause of bias but Assassin's Creed is such a huge series that is has become a massive IP across the board despite being a relative newer franchise compared to some of those that appear in Smash. Ezio also fulfills a nitch that Ryu could also hold as a mobile stealth fighter.

Travis - Another omission whose legacy is closely tied to that of Nintendo. My only worry is that while adding Travis would bring in content, I don't know know what sort of content this would be. I am not sure I can trust the thread to actually submit content based on pass perfromances.

Recruit - Already has some representation for Fortnite but having a character seals the deal. The series is so big and noticeable that not getting at least something that's beyond a Spirit is really strange.

Scorpion: Scorpion is another legacy addition whose series doesn't really jive with Smash but I kind of like that idea. Scorpions moveset sort of writes itself and there series has such a cast of colorful characters that we have tons of content to pull from. I would love to see how we would incorporate moveset into Smash.

Ahri: I don't know LoL but the idea of this series and a dungeon crawler MMO character is intriguing to me. Still, I worry about getting enough content for submissions; much like Travis.

Sol Badguy: If anyone beyond Hayabusa gets in, Sol is not pick. The character and his series is so big and important to fighting games that is would be criminal not include him. Plus, we have TONS of amazing music to choose from. I would love for us to go ape **** and just jam pack his bundle with tons of iconic Gears music.

I don't know enough of Ultima or River City to make any sort of comments save for, with the later, that it has quite the legacy. Still, it's either Sol or bust for me.

King Dice has me intrigued on a conceptual level but, once again, I worry that involvement with submissions might get convoluted. That being said, we seem to know Cupman well so perhaps it could fly. There are plenty of other, better characters to choose from this list IMO.

Gordon is interesting but I just don't know the series well and, ultimately, I would prefer Chell or Heavy.

The other characters I don't have much to say. Maxwell is a big no in my book as is Rivals of Aether, Rocket League, Far Cry,

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I would argue that the second paragraph of that is perfectly apt to bring up here, because it presents a fundamental flaw in W3's argument in regards to moveset creation.

Creative liberties aren't a bad thing, BUT they should be used liberally abd sparingly. If a character doesn't have potential on their own and has to resort to making stuff up, then that's not in line with modern Smash's philosophy.

In addition, taking creative liberties with another company's IP should also make sure to try and express some form of canon ability of that character and not just pull something out of their ass.

An example: Eigaon is not a move Arsene can naturally learn in Persona 5, as his max level abilities will be obtained before you're expected to have access to the -aon level of skills; but Arsene can still technically be given it through another game mechanic, and his elemental affinity is curse by default, so they decided to take the creative liberty, even though the canon character of Arsene would not have access to that.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have no issue with taking creative liberties for when the job calls for it and we have done it in the past for characters like Barista, Marin, Sami, etc. That being said, I am against adding a character for the sole purpose of filling a "creative liberties moveset slot". If there is source material to draw from, then we will draw from it as 1) that's the easiest and 2) most logical step. It would be silly to include Hayabusa but then add "moves we created from popular ninja tropes" instead of the abilities he uses in his games. That's not paying tribute to the character and franchise.

Some characters do better when creative liberties are taken. Others, not so much.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Creative liberties aren't a bad thing, BUT they should be used liberally abd sparingly. If a character doesn't have potential on their own and has to resort to making stuff up, then that's not in line with modern Smash's philosophy.
I don't think you get it: I don't want Infinite to be like modern Smash. I want Smash to drift away from its modern and lazy people-pleaser iteration and back to the more creative, "bare-bones" 64/Melee style of moveset design - if you want this to be about about what could happen, or what companies would be OK with, just go to the speculation threads.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I don't think you get it: I don't want Infinite to be like modern Smash. I want Smash to drift away from its modern and lazy people-pleaser iteration and back to the more creative, "bare-bones" 64/Melee style of moveset design - if you want this to be about about what could happen, or what companies would be OK with, just go to the speculation threads.
Don't want to be rude, but not necessary all people wants that, and this thread isn't made with a perspective of just one person so even if the way they acted before isn't the best, he did has the right to cuestionate your ideas, just try to be more polite, both of you. And for last time, just stop, this thing doesn't go to any part, neither you or the other dude would change their minds just for the opinion of someone else.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Champion
My thoughts on the submissions:

Ryu Hayabusa is definitely a top contender. He's a character with a lot of legacy.

Travis has a huge connection with Nintendo and is a familiar face. Ezio is the same and can bring a ton of Ubisoft content.

Gordon Freeman is definitely a must. Valve is another big company who needs content in Infinite. Same case goes for Sol Badguy or Kunio.

The Recruit joining will only up the scene as well for Infinite.

My pick personally being the Octane has some promise with moveset and stage potential. But, I do not know how additional content will work with the inclusion of other Psyonix IPs.

Maxwell is another character I was considering, lots of creative liberties we can take with him. Kragg, too for sure.

League of Legends is hella huge so Ahri for sure. Plus, no representation for MOBAs in the game yet.

Scorpion is a legacy pick but may be tricky to envision him for marketing for realism purposes.

I feel we should add a microcomputer rep at some point, however, adding the Avatar may not be the best choice despite Ultima's legacy on RPGs.

Saber is a niche name too despite Fate being big.

I don't know much about Far Cry but I feel Ezio is the better pick to represent Ubisoft over Vaas.

The King Dice submission is super creative and well thought-out. However, I think we should prioritize a main character from a huge franchise. There's lots of top contenders here so I think the King Dice submission is down there.

Overall, a lot of top contenders here and lots of good ideas thrown around.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You are the odd man out here, and if that's what you want, you should have noticed a long ass time ago that this thread is not going to do that.

Hell, you're not just the odd man out here, you're the odd man out in the Smash audience. I think being the best selling fighting game ever made ought to tell you that people prefer the way it is now to it's incredibly rough roots. It sounds to me like you just like to be contrarian or dislike change.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So the highlights for me:

Sol would be huge for FGC fans. We have three different kinds of fighters in Infinite: the hyper fighter with Terry and Iori, the traditional fighter with SF, and the 3D fighter with Kazuya. Having the anime fighter with Sol would round things out. He has a pretty big chance imo

Saber is from a franchise megatitan similar to the likes of Dragon Quest and Digimon. I'd say adding another swordfighter is fine so long as their moveset is aesthetically/mechanically unique. Think, for example, Robin, whose set is more based on the magic you can use in-game, or Pyra/Mythra, who gain different Specials and change the properties if their sword attacks. I could explain how we could differentiate Saber from the rest of the cast, but I'd be going too deep.

Ryu Hayabusa is a big character who somehow isn't even in Smash yet. Koei-Tecmo is one of the biggest-represented companies involved in Smash that don't have a fighter, and we'd also be representing another NES titan in the roster. He's a very big pick to be sure.

Say what you will about League of Legends, its gameplay and its fan base, but none of you can deny the impact it has had on both eSports and streaming today. Ahri is also a very high pick, to the point that the only character to rival her in popularity is Jinx. But Ahri is still popular enough that she was the character picked for 2 separate LoL spinoffs, including Ruined King and that upcoming LoL fighter.

Gordon Freeman...I will never deny the influence and fame of Half-Life. It reshaped storytelling in video games and its practical seamlessness makes it a breeze to play if you're willing to try and power through it's difficulty. But unless Valve announces a "Half-Life: Lambda Collection" for Switch, I think we should stick more to Chell. Though then again, Ratchet & Clank got into Infinite so what do I know?

Look, we all have varying degrees of dislike for Fortnite here. One side is "I just don't care for it" and the other is "I will literally gather a militia and declare war on Epic Games for this". But even if the honor of making a Battle Royale game not made in a sandbox game goes to PUBG, it was ultimately Fortnite that shot the genre to new heights. It had a massive impact on the games industry and it's still apparently going strong despite everything.

Travis Touchdown was a request that was persistent ever since No More Heroes was released for the Wii, and even though we got a Mii Costume in Ultimate, Travis is still a popular want for future titles. In fact, Suda51 himself is a huge advocate for the character.

Kragg would be a really insane pick because I realize he could represent something nobody ever thought to represent in Smash: the impact that Smash itself has made. Rivals of Aether was made by people who love Smash Bros, and it isn't the only platform fighter out there in the world to stand alongside Smash. There may not be much to him, but Kragg has a better shot than one may realize, in all honesty.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think there is nothing wrong with going with obscure picks or advocating for a more simplistic style. One thing I have learned is the Smash community has all sorts of people who think the series should be one way. Previously, I didn't want a villain 3rd party rep but Sephiroth changed my mind. I know would love to see more third party villains repped.

As for Infinite, it's easier to submit content that already exists for movesets than to force people to use creative brain muscles to create movesets out of thin air. Also, as I said before, it really depends on the character if it works better for them to have a moveset that pulls from source material OR a moveset from scratch.

I will say though that, 100%, Infinite focuses more on the modern philosophy of Smash move crafting rather than previous iterations. That being said, I may consider doing something along the lines in the future.

Janx_uwu

Smash Master
Writing Team
I haven’t gotten a chance to type something up until now, but I will say a few things: Sol would be a great pick for music alone, I think Gordon would fit Infinite super well, and my 3 vote is probably going to Ezio because I think an assassin’s moveset would be really awesome and Assassin’s Creed is pretty huge. Also, how do we still not have any Ubisoft reps playable?
Also I don’t think anyone aside from me, Gryff and Goliso has mentioned him yet but Kragg would be an awesome inclusion (or really anyone from Rivals), even if he doesn’t make it in this round.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Thank you everyone for your submissions! I really appreciate you all taking the time to write out these characters and bringing forth great franchises that truly represent gaming and it's history! Sadly, only one can win at this time so we will be choosing who will be the winner! Here is the link to vote!

Gordon Freeman (Half-Life)
The protagonist of one of the most influential games of the FPS genre, a great representative of FPS, PC Gaming and even maybe puzzles since they are a big element in Half-Life, he fits in all of the criteria mentioned and could bring a lot of interesting content.
SABER
Saber, True Name Artoria Pendragon, is a Servant, a Heroic Spirit of a figure from history summoned by a mage for a Holy Grail War, and one of the three heroines of the visual novel video game, Fate/stay night. Ever since her debut in the 2004 PC game, Saber has been one of the most popular characters in the series.

Why Saber?
Fate/stay night, surprisingly enough for those who know it better from its anime, got its start as a video game, and is one of the most popular visual novels in the world, on par with the likes of Ace Attorney and Danganronpa.

Though some Fate fans on the web would point out its rather...lascivious…first print of the game, it should be noted that later rereleases have been modified to be tamer, removing some overly questionable scenes altogether. Now there are other characters in the Fate series that are just as popular like Astolfo, Mash Kyrielight, and Jeanne d’Arc Alter, these are either from later games or not even of game origin at all.

How Would She Play?
Well, Saber would be a swordfighter who would be unique in the sense that she possesses one of the most legendary swords in the world, Excalibur, her Noble Phantasm. Furthermore, as a Servant, she possesses Skills, innate abilities that can benefit her in battle. In her case, they are:
  • Magic Resistance: As it states, it is the protection against the effects of magic.
  • Riding: A Skill usually reserved for Rider-class Servants, Saber here actually possesses a decent level of Riding, as knights are described as soldiers proficient at mounted combat.
  • Charisma: An innate charm and ability to command armies, usually reserved for leaders like her, as she is actually the King Arthur spoken of in legend.
  • Instinct: The ability to practically see attacks coming and calculate the best possible course of action.
  • Mana Burst: The ability to expel magical energy to augment her own abilities. This quite obviously can be her Neutral Special.
There could also be something unique to her as well: Excalibur, when she was first summoned in the OG Fate/stay night, was made invisible using magic wind. This could benefit scare tactics and mind games that she could exploit with her foes, but she could also reveal it to be Excalibur with a Shield B that buffs her damage.
Character submission:
Ryu Hayabusa

View attachment 351474
Who is the Ryu Hayabusa?
Ryu Hayabusa
is main protagonist of Ninja Gaiden series made by Tecmo back in 1988 on Arcades and NES console. He is a japanese ninja with dragon attributes, who wields an ancestral weapon called the Dragon Sword, which is actually an katana with dragon's power. He is also a leader of his "Hayabusa" clan as it was shown in games.
As it was shown in games, he travels from Japan to other countries like USA to prevent evil from attacking the world.
He is one of iconic video game ninjas that were praised by video game critics and he is considered as one of most iconic Koei Tecmo characters and even one of late 80's video game icons that are still known to today's times.

How he can fight?
Well, Ryu is not a stranger for fighting, since he can fight opponents by using his ancient sword or even use attacks from Dead or Alive series (Fun Fact: Did you know that DoA and Ninja Gaiden take place in the same universe?).
He would use moves from Ninja Gaiden games (Including the rebooted ones) as his attacks like sword slash or shuriken throw as neutral special. He would have a gimmick based on Dragon Arts, which are activated like in his home games where he unleashes his strong attacks to KO opponents.
He would also have interesting final smash examples like it would turn into Dragon form and wreck havoc across the battlefield.

He would be middleweight rushdown fighter with very fast speed and he could wall jump or wall cling like a real ninja!
Speaking of Ryu Hayabuse, his design would be based on modern incarnation and his alternate model would be taken from early NES games like Ninja Gaiden (1988).

Why Ryu as fighter?
You may ask why I chose him as 3rd Party fighter for this job? Well, because he is a very important 3rd party character to Nintendo history and he appeared on Nintendo consoles back in late 80's and early 90's (And he is still appearing on Nintendo consoles!) and he is considered as "Honorable Nintendo character".
He is also one of most requested 3rd party characters for Smash, which people really want him in Smash.
Keep in mind that he is also a retro character, which it would be cool if we had an 80's fighter in our Season 2 DLC, since we haven't got one in DLC.
Also I wanna tell that Koei Tecmo company needs to be represented as fighter in Smash Infinite, which is definitely Ryu Hayabusa!

At the end of submission, I have a song about ninjas to listen to:
Have fun!
Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear - Arc System Works)
Sol Badguy, the Flame of Corruption and the Guilty Gear, the main character from the video game Guilty Gear. Easy the most iconic character in the Arc System Works repertorium.

Why Sol?
Sure we already have various characters from different fighting games, but Sol could represent a different subgenre in this spectrum, the Anime/Hyper Fighting Games. Those who has a lot of air mobility, combos that doesn't have any end, exagerated moves and more. It could be say that Darkstalkers and Marvel VS Capcom where first, but Guilty Gear was the game that pulled the idea. Apart of that, Guilty Gear isn't too niche anymore, Strive did a good job attracting a more big audience becoming one of the main faces of the genre.

How Would He Play?
Sol could be considered a weird mix between Terry, Ike and Joker having the general motion inputs and ground projectile of the first, the quite slow movement but high damage output of the second and the comeback mechanic of the third. He could also have his own unique mechanics like the air dash (instead of do a second jump you can do a sprint in the air in horizontal direction) and the iconic Roman Cancel of his franchise allowing Sol to cancel his moves. Probably also including the Tension Gauge, the meter of the game, that like Terry could also allow him to use his most iconic super moves (called Overdrives in his game), the Tyrant Rave and the Dragon Install (the Arsene-esque comeback).

Why Sol as fighter?
  1. Has I sayed before, Guilty Gear represents an important subgenre of the Fighting Games spectrum
  2. Arc System Works could not have a big story like other companies, but still has good presence in the industry and also has history with Nintendo starting with the port of Missing Link in Game Boy Advance. (Technically starting with Kunio-Kun and Double Dragon but these franchises weren't part of ArcSys at the start).
  3. My personal bias.

Who Is The Avatar?
The Avatar is the main character of the Ultima series, a fantasy game series that started way back in 1981 with Ultima I but technically with Akalabeth: World of Doom in 1979. Meaning I feel like a boomer for submitting him despite being the opposite. Anyway, the series was a notable influence for games like Final Fantasy and played a huge part in shaping how RPG games are played today, and the games were very popular but have sort of fallen into obscurity recently most likely due to their age and the fact that they’ve mostly been relegated to PC except for a few console ports. The Avatar is the main character in every game although his design changes each time. The one I included is his design from Ultima VI which is likely his most iconic appearence (and the one on his wikipedia page). And yes, the box art is very cool.
If you wanna know more about the series, this is a pretty good video:

Why Should He Be In Smash?
Well, like I mentioned before, his series was a huge influence on many western and eastern RPG’s (alongside Wizardry which released at around the same time but I chose not to submit now) but isn’t remembered very often so adding him would be a great way to pay tribute to gaming history and represent some lesser known series. He can also act like a microcomputer rep which smash does technically have buuuuut they’re both thought as as playstation reps. Microcomputers were obviously a huge influence in the gaming industry as well so a rep for them would be great.

How Would He Play?
Basically with his sword and various spells from the games. This sounds basic but there’s a whole bunch of really unique spells in the game that could make for a very interesting magic character, and since the avatar is the rep for all the ultima games, he could use spells from basically every game. Here’s a list of spells from Ultima IX, which is just some of the interesting moves he could have:

Also I don’t know where to mention it, but there are some really good music from Ultima and some really cool fan remixes of those so I think they would be cool to add into here as well.
This one will definitely be an out of left-field pick...

Octane (Rocket League) made by Psyonix

View attachment 351482

Rocket League is a vehicular soccer video game. The game is basically soccer with cars. The game is a super popular title within eSports and the Octane's inclusion in Infinite will boost sales as well as possibly add in pot bonuses from Psyonix in tournaments for Infinite. The car would be hella unique with a moveset based around cars and soccer of course. Overall, a great pick representing modern day PC and cross play games, eSports and sport-esque video games.
View attachment 351483
Scorpion

Warner/Netherealm. An iconic fighting game character. The chance to have Tekken, MK, SF and KOF in one game is too epic to ignore. There's the obvious issue of the bloody violence of his home seires, but I honestly think this can be easily worked around.
Ahri- League of Legends (Riot Games/Tencent)

View attachment 351484

Why League of Legends?
Because it's still one of the most popular games in the world! According to Twitch, LoL is the 2nd most popular game being watched at the time of writing. It's also one of the biggest e-sports in the world, if not the biggest. Not to mention, Tencent owns Riot Games and was a major contributor in getting the Switch into China. They also made another MOBA game together, that being Pokemon Unite.

Why Ahri specifically?
Ahri is one of the most popular champions in LoL, and unlike the vast majority of characters in LoL her moveset would translate pretty well into Smash. She's also one of the most promoted champions, being in spin off games like Ruined King, Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, and she's even in the LoL KPop band K/DA(yes they have that.). Ahri is extremely recognizable, especially in the east.
The Recruit/The Looper (Fortnite)

The Recruits are the Default skins in Fortnite, Fortnite took the whole world by storm in 2018 and as such created a phenomenon of Battle Royale games, The Defaults are the most seen skins and most other skins are derived from these characters.

The Looper is the name of the player in Fortnite we could decide on what name to use later or something idk.

A Fortnite character could bring some unique playstyles that enhance the concepts brought up with characters like Steve and Snake. The Recruit would be able to use many different firearms and abilities and can also build structures that give them a competitive advantage.

But hey there are 3 major game modes in Fortnite and dozens of weapons and mechanics you could make a move set for the Recruits based on just about anything.

There are also dozens of defaults and over a thousand other skins you could use
View attachment 351492

He's Travis Touchdown, the lead star of No More Heroes and the rest of the games developed by Grasshopper Manufacturer and currently owned by the Japanese publisher Marvelous. He's cool, swings around a beam katana, makes pop culture references, and is also renowned for becoming the #1 assassin three times, twice in his locale and once in the whole galaxy. He also knows wrestling moves so he could double up into the grappler archetype, rides a sick as hell motorcycle, has a Power Glove rip-off with all sorts of wild powers like telekinesis and also charges his beam katana by [CENSORED].

Oh yeah he does kinda swear a lot so like 😬 but still vote for him, he's awesome.
Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan. Realistically speaking, that alone would disqualify him.

Kunio (River City/Kunio-kun series)

View attachment 351496

Kunio is the main protagonist of the Kunio-kun franchise, known as River City in the West. He's a lionhearted delinquent and captain of his school, Nekketsu High's, volleyball team. He's a retro character from an long-running series dating back to the NES. He may be a more traditional brawler, but he can also use weapons, carry fighters like with DK's cargo throw, and would act as a representative for the beat-em-up genre. He's been in over 50 games at this point, and is one of the most iconic characters representing the Arc System Works brand.

Huh, weird. Thought for sure he got Mii Costume'd

Anyhow, time for my submission

New Company

That's right, my big selection is Ubisoft.

So why Ubisoft? Well, it's for many reasons that I will list here

1. Ubisoft has had content in the series for a long time. In Smash 4, Ultimate, and now in Infinite they've had content in the game with no playable reps. Rayman and the Rabids both have existed in the games as mii costumes, trophies, and spirits

2. Ubisoft is one of the biggest game companies without a playable character in Smash. They've also produced a high number of well known series, such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Rabids, and Ray Man.

3. Even though they are a western company, some of their series and games actually do quite well in Japan. More info on that one in a second...

So, who is my character? Without further ado, I present them to you!

Representing the following series:

My selection is......

Vaas Montenegro from Far Cry 3!!!!

Who is Vaas and why should he be the pick?

Lets start with the who first. Vaas is the main antagonist of Far Cry 3. Most seem to consider him as the most iconic and the best villian in the series. While there's a number of great villains to pick from in the series, FC3 is the game that really launched the series to the stardom it has now. A lot of that is due to how good Vaas is. Like come on, watch this scene and tell me you wouldn't be hyped up to keep playing.

Ok, so why would we not select a protagonist instead?

Alright, fair point there. There's 2 issues I'm seeing here though. First is that outside of Dani from FC6, you don't see the protagonists at all due to the series being a FPS game. It makes selecting someone like Jason Brody or Ajay Ghale very difficult to do since even people who love the series might not know exactly what they look like. When it comes to villains the pick would likely be something from 3-6. Can toss out Anton Castillo as he doesn't really do much as far as action in the games while the other 3 actually have playable movesets via DLC additions to FC6. The only villain that comes anywhere close to Vaas's popularity is Joseph Seed. Seed would be a good pick too, but Vaas is seen as that guy by Far Cry fans to the point where
Found a way to bring him back for a future Far Cry game, as shown by a post credit scene in FC6

Ok, ok, so back up. Why Far Cry?

Ok, fair question. First let's look at Far Cry's accolades. Every game in the series from 3 and on has sold very well and gained a lot of attention across the gaming world. They've been obvious successes in the west, but have also sold well in the east, which is counter to the trend of open world and western games normally not popping massive numbers. In short, on top of being a popular series with well known characters, Far Cry also has world wide appeal.

Alright, now for the competition. There's a decent amount of well known and high selling series from Ubisoft. It's competition is the likes of:

Assassins Creed
Watch Dogs
Rabids
Ray Man
Just Dance
Prince of Persia
Tom Clancy Series

So let's take a look at all these. Rayman is dead due to being mii costumes in a previous job, but even then there's the issue that the most recent Ray Man game bombed hard and the series hasn't been heard from in a long time. Far Cry also outsold it massively. If we're looking at sales numbers that's enough to eliminate Prince of Persia and Watch Dogs as well, which trail behind the top series produced by Ubisoft. Tom Clancy games exist in this weird grey area where they are sorta with his books and sorta not, so for simplicity sake they are gone too. Just Dance would be a legit good pick but there's a massive issue with the music all being licensed, making it very hard to find a way to implement that. The Rabids and Assassins Creed both also have things in already in Mii Costumes. Far Cry is the one remaining series from Ubisoft that:

1 - Sells well enough worldwide to warrent a spot
2 - Doesn't already have something in the game as it is
3 - Feel like a big deal to be included

So therefore, I believe Far Cry has earned a spot in Smash.
View attachment 351506
Maxwell
Maxwell is the protagonist of the Scribblenauts series, a series of puzzle platformers made by Warner Bros interactive. He is known for two things, his red chicken hat, and his notebook. This notebook lets him create any item in existence from simple swords and bombs to eldritch abominations like Cthulu, and that's not on top of the ability to make these creations become giants or breath fire, ice, or poison. Due to these various gameplay elements Maxwell should be included just on creativity and moveset potential alone.
Kragg (Rivals of Aether)

Smash sure has quite a few fighting game characters. But you know what would be incredible? Having a character from a fighting game that takes direct inspiration from Smash.

About Rivals
Rivals of Aether is a 2017 indie platform fighting game developed by Dan Fornance and Flashygoodness that takes place in the elemental world of Aether, filled to the brim with unique environments and original characters. The game was praised at launch for its deep gameplay and colorful presentation, not to mention an incredible soundtrack and lovable fighters. The game's cast has also featured in crossover indie games such as Indie Pogo and the upcoming Fraymakers.

Why Kragg?
As previously mentioned, the cast has been featured as playable in two crossover games, however both times featured Orcane as the playable character. While this does show that the devs like to treat Orcane as Rivals' poster boy, so to speak, this does not mean the other characters are unpopular by any means. In fact, in an officially conducted vote by the McLeodGaming team, it was discovered that Kragg was the most wanted character from Rivals as a potential Assist in Fraymakers. It might feel somewhat redundant to add Orcane to a third crossover game, and Kragg has been proven to be a very popular alternate choice. He's also one of the simplest characters from Rivals (as well as one of the most fun, IMO), making him a perfect fit for Smash.

About Kragg
Kragg is a Wallbuilder in the world of Aether, maintaining the great Rock Wall, which divides the Aetherian Forest from the rest of Aether. Most Wallbuilders don't leave from their post, but when a strange evil decides to harm the forest dwellers from inside the wall, he sets out on a journey to restore peace to the land of Aether.
Kragg has the incredible ability to manipulate large masses of stone. This he can use to summon large spikes, pull a rock (named "Dwayne", heh) out of the ground, turn into a Spindash-like stone ball, and rise a large platform underneath his feet to recover. He also makes great use of his brute strength and horn.

About the developers
Dan Fornance is a dedicated Smash Bros fan, and even made his own Smash fangame once, Super Smash Land. He collaborated on Rivals of Aether with Flashygoodness, who not only helped program Rivals' code but also produced a beautiful soundtrack for the game. The Rivals team has published a dating sim and a card game in the Rivals universe, and more entires are on the way (specifically a fully-fledged sequel and a dungeon crawler). Excluding skins and the base game itself, Rivals projects are pretty much all free. Fornance and Flashygoodness have also collaborated with the fanbase to bring fan-created characters to the game's roster, which is pretty sweet.

Conclusion/TL;DR
It would be somewhat poetic to have a character from a series inspired by Smash as playable in the Nintendo crossover, and Kragg would be a great pick in that niche due to his popularity, simple playstyle, and unique abilities.
That was my original idea, so I might vote for you
Repealing my Bad Piggies submission to instead submit...

the chaotic con-artist crooner, King Dice draws the line!

King Dice is penultimate boss in Cuphead, often considered one of the most memorable characters of the game and a certified Tumblr sexyman. He's the right-hand-man at the Devil's Casino, controlling every rigged gamble.

What would King Dice do?
There's a lot of routes you could go with King Dice - for one thing, an RNG based moveset given he runs a casino. Cards; dice; and chips are par for the course. Additionally, King Dice being based on jazz music legend Cab Calloway could give Dice potential for a capoeira (dance-fighting) moveset. Given that his boss fight contains boss fights within we could perhaps make him a stance fighter with two other bosses to switch in. We could also play into his censored game show host role from Netflix's Cuphead Show and have him spin wheels; hide behind doors; and present unfortunate prizes.

Why King Dice over Cuphead and Mugman?
For one thing, Cuphead is all about the bosses - that's the entire focus of the game, so it doesn't seem too off to use a boss over the protag for it. But the main problem Cuphead and Mugman face compared to King Dice is that, if you wanted Cuphead to be accurate to his source material, you wouldn't really be able to do it justice - Cuphead only has his finger guns; super arts; and plane, not exactly enough to represent the wacky rubberhose world he enhabits or distinguish him from any other Bill Rizer or Marco Rossi - while the bosses have the wacky attacks and insane animation that drew people to the game in the first place. Using a boss would allow us to both, be accurate to the source material and be accurate to Cuphead's own source material. This is not to mention that Cuphead would be an utterly infuriating and repetitive fighter to go up against, not unlike Min Min or Mega Man, for competitive players if he were source-accurate.

• Gordon Freeman (Half-Life) - Valve
  • Saber (Fate/stay night) - Type-Moon/Marvelous
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear) - ArcSys
  • Octane (Rocket League) - Psyonix
  • Scorpion (Mortal Komabt) - Netherealm/WB
  • Ahri (League of Legends) - RIOT Games
  • The Recruit (Fortnite) Epic Games
  • Travis Touchdown ( No More Heroes) - Grasshopper/Marvelous
  • Kunio (River City) - ArcSys
  • Vaas Montenegro (Far Cry) - Ubisoft
  • Maxwell (Scribblenauts) - Warner Bros. Interactive
  • Kragg (Rivals of Aether) - Dan Fornance
  • Ezio (Assassin's Creed) - Ubisoft
  • King Dice (Cuphead) - Studio MDHR

WHO SHALL WIN! TEST YOUR MIGHT!

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Spirit Submissions: Childish Spirits

To honor next week being Children’s Day in Japan, we will be conducting a Spirit Event submission job where we will be submitting Spirits based on kids, toys, child-oriented activities, and youth. We won’t be adding any new Spirits so please use our Spirit database. I’m unable to link the actual page to your guys so if someone could, that would be great. DLC spirits will now be eligible but will only be accessible for those who have the dlc bundles.They don’t count towards the overall count.​

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

1. Lloyd (EarthBound)
  2. Nina Cortex (Crash Bandicoot)
  3. Baby Pac-Man (Pac-Man)

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Here's my thoughts on every character.

Gordon is the unofficial face of Valve, which is a pretty big company, though I have a few issues with him specifically. First, he's never appeared on Nintendo system; something that Chell, a fellow mascot (from honestly a better game) beats him in; secondly, Gordon's just... kind of a guy with guns? Which isn't in and of itself super interesting to me. I don't think either of them would be the best Valve rep though, seeing as neither of them are really a "character" so much as an avatar for you. They don't have the personality I look for. Heavy would be my pick.

Saber is fine... I guess. If Type-Moon gets a rep, it should be her, but she's more niche and I don't really think there's much unique about her specifically, meaning she'd probably just be a swordfighter like any FE protag.

Hayabusa is the one I'd prefer; he's a long-lasting icon and it's weird he's still not in. Tecmo has representation in other ways, he's their mascot. Why isn't this NES action star here?

Sol is another fantastic pick. More traditional fighting reps aren't a problem imo, and anime fighters are the new hotness in that field; despite the fact this guy's over 20 years old. ArcSys could use a rep, and Sol's series invented the hype anime fighter.

Avatar is... something. It's a long-running series, but it's long dead for over 20 years in the main series, and almost 10 since it's last release. Also, another generic JRPG swordsman is unnecessary when we have Hero.

Octane is...sorry, just straight up not even feasible as a fighter. Yeah, Hornet was in Fighters MegaMix, but that was a clear joke character, and Rocket League isn't even close to a game I'd consider to be super important.

Scorpion's fine. I think MK shouldn't get a rep due to it being a hard sell in Japan, and because the graphic violence is part of the experience, but eh, I wouldn't say he isn't deserving of a spot. Though I'd prefer Sub-Zero; we have plenty of fire-users but no cryomancers.

Ahri is a fantastic pick. She may not have a long legacy on Nintendo, but she has appeared as a playable character on Switch, and say what you want, but League is huge, and known worldwide - though admittedly, she'd be a bit of a hard sell in Japan, as it's JP playerbase isn't the biggest, but that is sort of nullified by the fact that she has a character design basically perfect to appeal to Japanese otaku. She could even bring in some unique MOBA-based mechanics.

The Recruit has pretty much the same issue that I have with Gordon, being that they kinda just use guns, and also the default character design is really boring. Also Fortnite is better without building

Travis is a character I'm not too terribly invested in but I'd be fine with. I feel like he's not really Travis though if he isn't playing with his beam katana as if it's his... well, you know, and that definitely wouldn't fly for a kid's game. Suda really wants him in, and the series is heavily associated with the Big N... I could take him or leave him.

Kunio is from a long-running, Nintendo-friendly series that's been around just as long as Hayabusa has, but with dozens upon dozens more games. His moveset potential kinda is just limited to brawling, picking up people, and using sports equipment though, and he definitely seems more like a base-game pick, though the Japanese audience would go crazy for him just like they did with Hero.

Vaas has no Nintendo relevancy and is just yet another "guy with gun/knife." The best parts of him are stuff about philosophy as well, which... doesn't translate into this environment well. I really don't think he's a good pick, especially with...

Ezio being right here. His franchise has been on Nintendo for at least a decade if not longer, it's long running, already had representation in a previous Smash title (why was it Altair tho...) and an assassin-style character isn't something we really have. Rayman would be my first pick for Ubisoft, but with him out of the running, Ezio is by far the best pick.

Maxwell has literal infinite moveset potential with the ability to create anything he chooses, his games are very cute and fun, and have been on Nintendo since their inception. He's also a WB Games character, and it'd be neat to see that crossover with a Disney property in an official capacity; this is a fantastic pick.

Kragg is... inoffensive, I suppose, but I don't really think his legacy is good enough to be in Smash, especially as a DLC character. Plus, I really don't think this is the indie we should prioritize when Shantae, Cuphead, Shovel Knight, an Undertale rep, Hollow Knight, Quote, Ori, etc. exist. I'm sorry, but he is way down the list and would honestly be a slap in the face to fans of all the previous games, which all have sold better than Rivals.

King Dice is the worst option of the bunch. Smash doesn't do secondary characters first. This isn't NASB, and it's ridiculous to even consider that Studio MDHR would say "yeah, you can do King Dice instead of our mascot."

TL;DR

I am personally down for any of Ezio, Sol, Hayabusa, Kunio, Ahri, Maxwell, or Scorpion.
I'm not rooting for Travis, Saber, Avatar, Gordon, or Recruit (Can we change that name please?) but they're not exactly characters I'd hate either.
Kragg would be a slap in the face to fans of other indie games, but I don't hate him or anything.
Please do not vote for King Dice, Vaas, or Octane.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Alright, time for my thoughts on the submissions:

High Tier( Vote Contenders) - Gordon, Scorpion, Ahri, Travis, Vaas, Maxwell, Ezio

Mid Tier(Not getting my vote but I dont mind it) - Hayabusa, Sol, Octane, King Dice, Kunio

Low Tier(Not interested) - Sabre, Avatar, The Recruit, Kragg

Was gonna something on all of these but I am very tired and do not want to anymore, so this will be it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom