• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Fei Fong Wong (or just Fei) from Xenogears

Fei is the main protagonist of Xenogears which is a game I… haven’t played but you can’t deny the enormous impact of this game and profundity of its story. It’s become a bit lesser known now but that’s all the more reason to add a character like this to smash, to get people talking about the series.

From what I can tell, he mostly fights with martial arts but also with some elemental based attacks mixed in so that would definitely set him apart from other JRPG characters.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Chrono would be a magical Swordfighter, not just a run of the mill Swordfighter.

Here is my submission…

Lloyd Irving

Lloyd Irving is from the long-running RPG series, Tales and debuted in the GameCube game, Tales of Symphonia. Lloyd is commonly seen as not only one of the more popular protags within a series of ever changing Protag but the face of the series. ToS is typically seen as a FF7 for the franchise and what opened ToS to the West. Lloyd has been featured in a wide amount of crossovers and is not stranger to Smash; being featured as a DLC Mii Costume for 4 and Ultimate.

Tales of Symphonia is particulary important to me as I started playing it during a very trying time in my life and I credit it with really helping me cope during that time. I lost three important people in my life during this time and so it was very dark. The first was a dear friend due to an accidental overdose after a year of sobriety, another was my dog I had since I was a child, and the third was the mother of another friend who died after a long battle with cancer. This all occurred within a span of 3 months and, as a student who was looking towards his impending future, this had a huge impact on me. I spent a lot of time playing ToS and, will somewhat humorous, I saw Lloyd’s struggles about his identity and place in the world and the injustice found there to be a motivation to get through my own life.

Super nostalgic

Much like other games like Chrono Trigger and OoT, Tales of Symphonia was for long an annual traditional for me to celebrate those who left and my ability conquer my own insecurities and uncertainties. For this reason, I’ve longed championed Lloyd in Smash. His game and franchise deserves the recongition it has rightfully earned as one of the flagship RPG’s and the topping of its already impressive cake is Lloyd’s final inclusion as a character. Now, I would be ok with Yuri or another notable ToS rep but, to me, ToS has sentimental value. I know others feel likewise.

In terms of gameplay, Lloyd would be your typical Swordfighter who focuses on speed and coho abilities with many of his attacks dealing longer hitstun than most. The more attacks he strings together, the more damage he can dish out per hit. We could even include his skill branches to include Strike or Technical which change depending how many attacks he uses per “turn”. On the basis level, his moveset would be super easy but we could be more intricate by allowing branches to be included. If we wanted to be more adventurous, we could include the TP gauge which is like Hero’s MP gauge. This would make Lloyd more so a physical-oriented version of Hero.

ToS also lends itself to a wide variety of locations for a stage including the Tower of Salvation, Derris Kharlan, Palmacosta, and more. The sheer number of charqcters would also be a huge plus as we dig into possible assist trophies, cameos and obviously Spirits. There wouldn’t be really any excuse for “what could we include” as there’s tons of content.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Estelle Bright (Trails)

The Legend of Heroes series by Nihon Falcom is a Tactical JRPG Series that started in 1989 with a game simply titled "Dragon Slayer" but gained popularity in 2004 with the release of The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky. The series still continues to this day with an MCU Like connected story with Trails from Zero/Azure and the 4 Cold Steel Games as well as Trails to Reverie and Kuro No Kiseki. Each Series of games has a different Protagonist (Estelle, Lloyd, Rean, C, Van) as well as taking place in different parts around the fictional world.

This franchise also has a fantastic soundtrack.

Estelle herself wields a bo-staff and has many abilities with it and has access to a variety of Orbal Arts which is this franchises equivalent of Magic. Using these she could make quick work of her opponents.

As of Infinite we have no Bo-staff wielder and Falcom is one of the oldest Video Game Publishers not referenced in any way.

(I also joined this site to shill Estelle)

Last edited:

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Actor (RPG Maker)
sorry if I get some details wrong, never used this software

An Actor (such as Ralph, seen above) is a playable character available in RPG Maker. RPG Maker is an extremely popular, user-friendly game creation software that allows independent developers to make their own JRPG-style games with plenty of assets and resources available from the start. RPG Maker was developed by several companies and publishers, most of which are based in Japan.

I'm sure many will argue against the addition of a character from a piece of software rather than a game. Well, first of all, RPG Maker is kind of a game - it's seen plenty of console releases for its several entries, as early as the Super Famicom and as recent as the Nintendo Switch (as well as non-Nintendo hardware). Another possible point that can be brought against the Actor is that RPG Maker doesn't have enough content on its own to justify an entire pack, but this is far from the case - plenty of enemies and characters for Spirits, we could base the stage on the user interface of RPG Maker or make a generic JRPG stage inspired by the software's default tilesets, and yes, RPG Maker has music. (really, really good music actually!)
(And another point against the "not a game" critique, we have Wii Fit Trainer in Smash so yeah. I know Wii Fit has game-like elements but the Trainer is not one of them.)

As for what the Actor could do on their own, their moveset would revolve around changing the game and players around them. For example, they could tweak their stats of themselves or their opponent ever so slightly. That kind of thing, in conjunction with a generic JRPG McSwordguy moveset, would be really fun to work with.

Easily the biggest reason to include an Actor is that they can represent game creation, a huge part of gaming as a whole. I mean, without it, we wouldn't be here today.You could argue RPG Maker isn't a game in and of itself, but it is a huge part of gaming history. R.O.B. isn't a game either, by the way, but for being a monumental figure in Nintendo and gaming history he was included, so why not a main character from RPG Maker? Also, RPG Maker has a huge community of indie creators, so this would, at least in spirit, be a huge indie newcomer (is that an oxymoron? "huge indie"?).

Also, an important thing to note - for the purposes of Infinite so we have someone to visualize, Ralph (seen at the top of this submission) will be the default costume - he was the default Actor in what many describe as the first user-friendly entry in the series, RPG Maker VX. (Though this is something we can revisit if the Actor wins and we go to alt jobs.)

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
The Protagonist (E.V.O: Search for Eden)

Coming from the cult classic SNES game from the Enid side of Square Enix, The protagonist of E.V.O is a creature that can evolve from a fish to what ever part you may choose.

But what form will it take, since that protagonist has evolved from many forms.

Perhaps this form will do
1649536089209.png

This creature (named creature, to fit the name) is a hybrid of a rhino, lion and moose and has several attacks.

He can evolve and devolve horns and parts. Normally it will heal him, but for Smash, it will be nerfed. He can bite, kick and ram. I also assume his final Smash will transform him into a dragon, the most powerful evolution in the game, but a limited one.

Overall, those are the reasons why an E.V.O: search for eden rep would work for Smash. Ever since Cloud got in, I wanted a rep from that game in smash.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
images (2).jpeg

Jibanyan is the main mascot if the Yo-kai watch series, a monster collecting RPG similair to Digimon and Pokemon, in fact for a time Yo-Kai watch was considered a direct competitor to Pokemon. While not as popular Jibanyan is still a popular character appearing in anime, toys, and mechandise.

Why he should be here
He would complete the trio of monster collection rog mascots, plus seeing him fight alongside his old rivals in Pikachu and Aguamon would be a very cool thing to include. Plus Yokai watch is a huge cult classic like Earthbound with many fans wanting his inclusion.

How he should play
Jibanyan would be a more traditional fighter as each of the previous characters had sone sort of gimmick. He would be a nimble light weight with a combination of his signature Paws of Fury, Fire attacks, and Inspiriitng providing a ton of great matchups.

D

Deleted member

2996317-adol (1).png

Adol_Ys_4_Memories_of_Celceta.png

Ys-IX-Monstrum-Red.png

Adol Christian (Ys)
The star of the Ys series. Adol is a an adventurer and master swordsman. He is a silent protagnist, but still has a lot of personality. He always wants to help those in need, no matter the cost. He travels from place to place, leading to a wide variety of places and characters that could be pulled from for content. He would be a Swordsman, but would make heavy use of magic. Adol changes appearance pretty often so there is a lot of potential for alts. Ys is a long running and popular series that has had quite a few games on Nintendo platforms. It was actually pretty influential on modern action rpgs. Falcom are an iconic publisher who are overdue some representation.

PastaRorroKuma

Smash Journeyman

Laharl from Disgaea

Disgaea is a popular rpg series and Laharl specially has been slowly getting more support for Smash. I don't personally know much about the series but from what i've heard it's a very good JRPG. Also, since Disgaea has been in a lot of Nintendo platforms it isn't very out of left field.
Other factor to his inclusion could be the amount of characters in Disgaea that could make for a lot of spirits and other content.
For his moveset he could use his sword and even get help from Etna or the Prinnys.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Eh, IDK who there's even left for a JRPG character that isn't super niche. I'd be willing to listen to options before deciding

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Could we count MMORPG's Such as League of Legends or No?(I'm already for no)

Edit: Forgot they say only japanese games, so no.

Last edited:

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Resubmitting Alis Lansdale from Phantasy Star.

I know we have a SEGA character as DLC but the Phantasy Star series pushed the boundaries of the JRPG genre for sure.

DLC #3 Submission: Alis Lansdale (Phantasy Star)

View attachment 344333

Alis Lansdale is the protagonist of the first Phantasy Star video game. She is avenging the death of her brother and saves her star system, Algo from darkness. She is a swordsman and she set out on her mission befriending a lot of companions while saving her home planet.

Why should Alis be in this game?

If SEGA were to get another game represented for Super Smash Bros Infinte's DLC cycle, Phantasy Star is definitely deserving of it. Phantasy Star is one of the forefather franchises of the JRPG genre and was one of the first online RPG games which is big in video game history. The game also introduced the west to console RPG and pushed the boundaries of the genre. Also, she was one of the first female JRPG protagonists. Phantasy Star has been on Nintendo consoles before as well.

How would she fight?

Alis would have a combination of both of her appearances from Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online. Think of her playing like Link and Hero (without the command specials and only the fireball attacks). She'd be a rushdown based character and also have her down special be like the Wii Fit Trainer's Sun Salute move. She wouldn't be all that gimmicky. Also, there is the music too. Overall, Alis would be a perfect pick for this game for sure.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
1649560248400.png

So, why Geno?
I am going to play devil's advocate for this fighter, especially considering I don't particularly care one way or the other about him or his prospects for Smash, but Geno has been and probably always will be a longtime request for inclusion amongst the core Smash fanbase - something our DLC has a notable absence of: that home-grown fanbase hype. Geno's been included as Mii DLC twice in a row now (meaning he would sell), and he meets all the requirements for this job: He's an Eastern creation hailing from a JRPG. Do I think Mario necessarily needs another newcomer? No. Do I think Square should get another JRPG character? Also no. But I think we need someone to appeal to the core Smash fanbase in the DLC, and Geno's about the only missing face we don't have other than say, Dante at this point. Waluigi, Crash, Isaac - they're all here at this point. Geno's the last one standing in that proverbial graveyard of fanbase dreams.

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Alphen: Tales of Arise

I won't get into too much detail, since the game is still pretty new and I just finished it. Alphen is from the newest game in the Tales of Series, Tales of Arise. Alphen fights to free his kind from the oppression they've suffered for over 300 years. To do this, Alphen wields the Blazing Sword that he received from Shionne, who has a goal that works along side Alphen's. The Blazing Sword contains great power, but hurts the user. Luckily for Alphen, he can't feel pain. He'd absolutely have a Pichu mechanic whenever using the Blazing Sword. He uses a standard sword too, but the cool part is using the Blazing Sword, hence the focus on it.

Everything I just typed here should be within the first hour of gameplay. If I accidentally spoiled something for later in the game, please tell me so I can fix it. ToA is pretty fun and if you like JRPG's you'd probably like it. The game seems to have been received well. Only problem is I'm not really sure about is if Alphen is popular in the Tales of fanbase. ToA is the only one I've played and I'm not really finding the answer in a google search.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
View attachment 349865

So, why Geno?
I am going to play devil's advocate for this fighter, especially considering I don't particularly care one way or the other about him or his prospects for Smash, but Geno has been and probably always will be a longtime request for inclusion amongst the core Smash fanbase - something our DLC has a notable absence of: that home-grown fanbase hype. Geno's been included as Mii DLC twice in a row now (meaning he would sell), and he meets all the requirements for this job: He's an Eastern creation hailing from a JRPG. Do I think Mario necessarily needs another newcomer? No. Do I think Square should get another JRPG character? Also no. But I think we need someone to appeal to the core Smash fanbase in the DLC, and Geno's about the only missing face we don't have other than say, Dante at this point. Waluigi, Crash, Isaac - they're all here at this point. Geno's the last one standing in that proverbial graveyard of fanbase dreams.
You Know i was original going to vote for Lloyd, but now i'm switching to Geno.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
You Know i was original going to vote for Lloyd, but now i'm switching to Geno.
Vote for whoever you want. I actually don't care about Geno, but I know he means a lot to a lot of people, so that's why I submitted him.

Personally? I'm torn between Alis, Lloyd, and Adol. All three absolutely are worthy characters and all three represent a hugely influential series. I feel like Disgaea, while a tad more obscure, also could deserve it, but I think a Prinny would be the best rep for that series. That or Etna, but she's uh... well, not exactly for good boys and girls, so Prinny would be my go-to.

Fate's pretty popular too, though I think the correct choice would be Saber.

No offense to Janx, but I am think RPG Maker would be a mistake, because while it has sold a lot, it's way too vanilla. There's nothing that the generic character from that can do that isn't already covered by Hero. Do we really want to sell a reskin of an already existing, more popular character? I just don't think it's a good idea.

The Suikoden dude is... fine, I guess, but I don't exactly think it's a series Konami is looking to market. Bomberman really is the next best choice, but he's ineligible regardless.

Crono's cool too, but like I said I actually would like to see a non-JRPG Square character, such as Lara Croft (or hell, even Gex) before we get another JRPG Square protag.

Jibanyan's inoffensive, but is Yo-kai Watch really worth getting when we already have the two Creature Collecting juggernauts? Also it'd ruin Professor Layton's chance.

EVO is way too obscure to be sell-able DLC, not to mention it's critical reception basically boils down to "well, it exists." It's never been re-released, and from what I understand sold less than EarthBound.

D

Deleted member

My thoughts. Will add any characters who are submitted

Riou - I don't know a lot about this series but it seems cool. The series is seemingly having its own little moment right now with its own Bloodstained style indie spiritual successor, Konami might want to cash in on that, even though they definitely won't. The summoning other characters thing sounds cool. I think the series is way more PS associated but that's not really an issue.

Chrono - Hell. Yes. I know I said I wanted this to be a non Sqaure character, it's hard not to be hyped for Chrono. One of my favourite games with a potential for a great moveset. This would be a pretty hype reveal.

Fei - Xenogeaes is an important game but I qould personally prefer Kos-Mos for a Non-Blade xeno rep. A kung Fu user would be pretty fun

Lloyd - If we where to get a character from a returning company then this is hands down the best pick in my opinion. Tales of is a long running and iconic series. As much as I'd prefer Yuri, Sakurai did say if a Tales character was to get in it would be Lloyd

Estelle Bright - A pretty soild pick! I'm not super familiar with her but I've heard a lot about this series and Falcom have a long history. Season 1 was all returning companies and an indie sp I think getting a new company involved would be good. Sounds like she has a lot of potential and her weapon sounds cool.

Actor - It's a funny idea and actually not a bad one. But I would prefer an actual character. I'd actually be interested to see how we would pullcthis one off.

Protagonist - Doesn't make a lot of sense for DLC imo. The moveset sounds cool but it's not really a big series.

Jibanyan - I have no issues with him. He's not a pick that does anything for me really but he clearly has fans.

Adol - I genuinely do think he's a great pick. New company, a long running and influenceual seires, lots of content to pull from.

Larhal - I'd be super up for this. Thrres a lot of potential there. I do worry about how usable a lot of the content would be.

Alis - PS is an important and underlooked series. I'd be fine with this. Maybe not who I'd pick for a new Sega rep since we just got a Sega anime swordslady last seaosn but they're pretty different so it wouldn't matter too much. She's cool.

Geno - I try not to dunk on Geno too much but I think he's kind of the most boring place we could go for here. I understand some people might not want another anime boy and might want something more Nintendo-y. But I just think using this chance to bring in a new series and using it on a one game Mario side character would he a bit of a waste. But if people really want him then fine.

Alphen- Just too new I think. There are a number of other Tales reps I'd go for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait, has the discussion period already started, or do we have it during submission rounds now?
Submissions will close in a few hours and then we will commence voting.

People are free to discuss our submissions during this time as well

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Ah, alright. Guess I'll start perparing my thoughts on everyone then. If I'm not commenting a lot on the series itself, that's because I'm an American talking about a bunch of properties that are mainly popular in Japan, so of course I can't really say how influential or popular they really are other than what the submissions have already said.

Riou - he seems really neat, one of the characters I'd definitely prefer in terms of fighter archetype over anything else - a tonfa fighter. However, as has been stated plenty of times before, we have an overabundance of summoners in Infinite so I probably won't be voting for him unless his moveset is just the tonfas, no other party members or anything.

Crono - don't know anything about him other than it's my uncle's favorite RPG and I'd love to see him happy at getting his boy in. However, me personally, I'd rather Glenn (Because funny thoirsdé man) or Robo (I'd love to have anything steampunk in Smash). Chrono himself kinda looks garbage and I can't imagine how the time travel could work in a moveset other than a Witch Time clone or a Final Smash. Still, being from such a highly regarded game, there's a lot of reasons to consider Crono for this job, many of which I'm not knowledgeable of.

Fei - we still need a pre-Chronicles Xeno rep IMO, and Fei would definitely be the most interesting choice from that part of the series. I'm not sure how Xenogears, Xenosaga, and Xenoblade all fit together or how the rights work or any of that crud, but it seems to me like the fanbases do bleed together, meaning a lot of Nintendo fans really want characters from those games in Smash alongside Shulk and Pyra/Mythra. Is Fei as popular as Elma or KOS-MOS in terms of speculation? Definitely not. But we could certainly use a melee-focused JRPG character, and the main character from the series that kickstarted such a huge franchise sounds like a great choice!

Lloyd - again with the awesome varied fighting styles! Lloyd's dual blades are pretty awesome, and as a veteran from SSF2 I can say he fits in perfectly gameplay-wise. Also we could use another Bandai-Namco character, because even as someone who doesn't play either it kinda felt like Kazuya stole his spot for CP10 (obviously that did not happen, that's not how Smash characters work, that's just the vibe I got). Tales Of is a series with a lot of fans and Lloyd is pretty well requested for Smash, so sure, I wouldn't mind this guy being in. Dunno if I'll vote for him or not, but I certainly would be down for contributing to his content if he wins.

Estelle - neat bo-staff, unlike the other weapons though, I feel like she wouldn't do much with it that hasn't already been done in a moveset. For some reason Smash is obsessed with finding out how long it can make its weapons (Corrin, Simon, Min-Min, Sephiroth), so just adding another long-range disjoint user is not something I'm super on-board with. That being said, I LOVE the song that was included in her post, and the Orbital Arts actually look very cool! I like how they're not abstract like lots of magic in Smash tends to be. That in conjunction with her bo-staff would actually make her an awesome character. Definitely one I might vote for here.

Actor - well, I submitted them, so of course I want them in. I hear everyone on the character being too basic, however that is kind of the idea - they're a blank slate with which the player can do just about anything with. I imagine their moveset involving placing down tiles and objects, adding collision to random parts of the stage, and as previously mentioned, slightly affecting the stats of them and their opponents. They might have some sword attacks, but use it in creative ways to reflect their creative nature - like, holding it at the blade or something, I don't know.

The Protagonist - I don't have too many thoughts on this guy. They seem cool, and should definitely be considered solely for being the only non-human-like character submitted, but I guess I would just need to see more of them and their series before considering a vote for them.

Adol - he looks neat. I don't know very much about his series and he doesn't look all that interesting in terms of gameplay, so I can't say much other than that he looks very cool.

Laharl - we don't have enough shirtless males OR scarf wearers, so this dude is pretty awesome already. The Disgaea series is one of I've heard passing mention of even before I joined SmashBoards, which isn't something I can say for many of these characters, so that shows that the appeal is worldwide. So this is definitely a character I'll consider my vote for.

Alis - Phantasy Star is pretty huge. So huge I've even heard it described as the Sonic of Sega Japan (though Puyo Puyo has also been brought up in conversations like that). We could definitely use a non-gimmicky swordfighter, the only ones we really have of such variety are Lucina and Chrom. And as a guy with five sisters, I really appreciate Alis' goal of avenging her brother. And while many might say we already have a Sega character, we said the same thing about Microsoft before getting Steve, or Square Enix before getting Sephiroth. Alis is definitely a character I'll consider for my vote.

Geno - I like this guy. I like him quite a bit, actually. However, I see no reason to include him at this point in our game. We already have Phoenix to appeal to the core Smash fanbase, his presence in Smash speculation is huge and he's featured heavily on Nintendo hardware. He's also a weird pick because he's super, super, super niche outside of Smash speculation. In terms of other Mario characters, you have Goomba, Pauline, E. Gadd, Toad, Birdo, etc.; and in terms of other Square characters you have Space Invader, Crono, 2B, Lara Croft, even ****ing Gex. Why in the world would you go for an obscure puppet from a somewhat obscure Mario title? Even as a Geno supporter, it makes no sense to me.

Alphen - as stated before, way too new. Tales of Arise is fairly popular but I don't think it's been out long enough to make a lasting impression on gaming. However, he does remind me somewhat of Raiden from Metal Gear Rising, who is very very cool, so I'll give him that.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
So the thing is, like, I'd normally push for Alis, just because I'm such a big advocate of PS in Smash and I'm always down for more SEGA stuff.........buuuuuuuuut I kinda feel like there are other potential options from Phantasy Star that would be fun ones to explore. The series has a lot of cool characters, and I don't want us to be stuck thinking it has to be Alis. Also we kinda just did a SEGA RPG girl, I'm thinking we may want to vary it up a bit if we do another SEGA. If we do, I think I'll be pushing for an AM2 rep like Harrier or Ryo cause many of AM2's games are hugely important to SEGA's history (Yu Suzuki is, IMO, the most important developer in SEGA's history) and define the SEGA aesthetic perhaps more than any other game by them, and also depending on who it is, we can probably use it as an avenue to celebrate their arcade legacy in general. Either that or we could just do something like Kiryu. I'd be down for that!

Er, pardon the side tangent. Honestly, looking at the list.....I think one of the Falcom peeps might be the best option. Lloyd prolly has the edge in terms of series, but I think I'd want someone else from Tales

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While newcomers are obviously a huge draw, my main concern is the ability to pull it content and what content is availiable such as stages, spirits, music, and other things while keeping in mind of if this content is well known to our thread regulars. Previously series we submitted content for was, for some, a bit difficult due to people not knowing much about that franchise.

Based on what I see here, I would rank these series based on both the wealth of content availiable and familiarity with this series by our thread regulars:

S Class - Tales, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger
A Class: Yokai Watch, Disgae, Xenosaga
B Class: Ys, Phantasy Star
C Class: Trails, RPG Maker
D: Trails
E: EVO

Also, we will be releasing our results for the Celebrity plus Online tourney voting later today. Once we finish our submissions in the next few hours, we will proceed with voting.

I apologize for this delay but our project has largely become a one-person endeavor and, with my time stretched and limited, I have less hands and time to get our stuff out.

Also, I forgot a submission job that was fairly important. I will be starting us up on that a bit later as well.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
As far as Geno goes, he may be a bit boring for some people but as Gryff said, he would be the home-grown hype character. On the topic of representing Mario though, I'm of the opinion he represents Mario about as well as Yoshi or Donkey Kong or Wario. What I'm getting at is, he may be heavily associated with the Mario universe, but I think he could represent his own universe since SMRPG is confusing in terms of ownership (To put it simply, Square owns the game and character).

A Tales character would be fairly easy because the games actually control like a Smash game, so moveset making will be really easy.

Fei...I'm not so sure. He's a good hand-to-hand character like Riou, but compared to the likes of KOS-MOS and Elma, he's facing really stiff competition.

Laharl is another hand-to-hand JRPG character I'd really love, mainly because Disgaea has an extreme over-the-top nature that would make even Smash go "bro chill".

I know RPG Maker is a pretty popular platform for making games, I just don't know enough to make an in-depth comment. EVO, though, a fighter who changes their body to cover certain weaknesses sounds fun, I'm just not sure if this is the one.

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
The Nahobino

View attachment 342060View attachment 342061
Once again, I'll be submitting this guy. It's perfect timing since I've just finished SMT V and can safely say it's one of my favourite games of all time. Although I must just be clear about this, the character's name is not "Nahobino." It is merely a title granted to them after fusing with the demon Aogami. The Nahobino is the silent protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei V. He was once a normal highschool student that got caught in a bridge collapse incident and was transported into the mystical world of Da'at, an apocalyptic version of Tokyo. It is shortly revealed after you first exit that the world of Da'at is actually the real Tokyo and was destroyed some 18 years ago in a war between God and Lucifer's forces. Lucifer had then slew God in a battle of the ages causing the collapse of the modern world as it was known. As a last effort on his part, God used his power to create the Shekinah Glory, a miracle that would create an illusory Tokyo for the remaining living souls to reside in in ignorant bliss.

The Nahobino would then proceed to go on a life changing journey fighting against demons in the netherworld of Da'at. He wouldn't have survived alone however, he had his friends by his side. No, not his human friends. In the SMT series, players recruit demons to their aid by negotiating with them. And after he collected enough demons, the Nahobino could fuse them to create more powerfuld demons!

History on Nintendo

I'll paste my excerpt from above into this section.

The first Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei game originally released on the MSX back in 1987 but the modern SMT series we know now started on the Super Famicom in 1992 with the original Shin Megami Tensei. Since then, every main SMT game except for SMT NINE (not to be confused with being an actual ninth entry) and SMT III has released on Nintendo, although SMT III: Nocturne would later be released on the Nintendo Switch in 2020.

Many spin-off games have reached the 3DS too such as the Devil Survivor series, the Persona Q series and the port of Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers. The ties to Nintendo are strong with this one and after a Western character as the first fighter, it would makes sense to show the Japanese audience a character they may know better.

View attachment 342064
View attachment 342066 View attachment 342067 View attachment 342068

View attachment 342069 View attachment 342070 View attachment 342071

What Could They Bring?

The SMT series is known for recruiting and summoning demons, an aspect that could be represented in the Nahobino's moveset. Additionally, the Nahobino has tons of unique skills only they can learn that they could use in their moveset. There is also a mechanic in SMT V known as Magatsuhi skills. They are immensely strong skills that need to be charged by fighting and defending yourself but can turn the tide of a battle without taking up a turn.

Nahobino's Unique Skill Animations

Additionally, there are tons of iconic demons to turn into spirits!

View attachment 342072View attachment 342073View attachment 342074View attachment 342075View attachment 342076
Jack Frost, Amanazako, Mothman, Alice, Decarabia

Some demons may be a tad too inappropriate for Smash so I would not think about adding that green demon riding a chariot. Additionally, some demons reflect satanic imagery which would most definitely not please certain crowds such as Lucifer, Satan and Beelzebub.
Nanosebeano

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Actor - well, I submitted them, so of course I want them in. I hear everyone on the character being too basic, however that is kind of the idea - they're a blank slate with which the player can do just about anything with. I imagine their moveset involving placing down tiles and objects, adding collision to random parts of the stage, and as previously mentioned, slightly affecting the stats of them and their opponents. They might have some sword attacks, but use it in creative ways to reflect their creative nature - like, holding it at the blade or something, I don't know.

The Protagonist - I don't have too many thoughts on this guy. They seem cool, and should definitely be considered solely for being the only non-human-like character submitted, but I guess I would just need to see more of them and their series before considering a vote for them.
A few quick notes. You submitted Actor, but aren't the things you're suggesting he do something that the player does, not the character? Seems like a poor representation of the character.

As for EVO guy - there is no series. There's one obscure SNES game that sold poorly and has never been re-released.

I'm going to submit Elizabeth Bathory from Fate. Take a wild guess why I'm submitting a random character nobody cares about?
she has a pretty high quality mod.
If we're doing a Fate character, it should be Saber.

So the thing is, like, I'd normally push for Alis, just because I'm such a big advocate of PS in Smash and I'm always down for more SEGA stuff.........buuuuuuuuut I kinda feel like there are other potential options from Phantasy Star that would be fun ones to explore. The series has a lot of cool characters, and I don't want us to be stuck thinking it has to be Alis. Also we kinda just did a SEGA RPG girl, I'm thinking we may want to vary it up a bit if we do another SEGA. If we do, I think I'll be pushing for an AM2 rep like Harrier or Ryo cause many of AM2's games are hugely important to SEGA's history (Yu Suzuki is, IMO, the most important developer in SEGA's history) and define the SEGA aesthetic perhaps more than any other game by them, and also depending on who it is, we can probably use it as an avenue to celebrate their arcade legacy in general. Either that or we could just do something like Kiryu. I'd be down for that!

Er, pardon the side tangent. Honestly, looking at the list.....I think one of the Falcom peeps might be the best option. Lloyd prolly has the edge in terms of series, but I think I'd want someone else from Tales
If you want another Tales rep, why not submit one? Yuri's right there.

I honestly think if we do another SEGA rep it should be someone like AiAi, Beat, or Kiryu. Alis is great, and Phantasy Star is really important, but I do agree with your assessment on having a SEGA sword lady already.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
A few quick notes. You submitted Actor, but aren't the things you're suggesting he do something that the player does, not the character? Seems like a poor representation of the character.
That’s the point: I’m aiming for Actor to be representative of RPG Maker and game creation as a whole. While it could be argued that Scratch Cat might be better suited for this, let’s be honest, he’s not getting into this particular thread. Actor, the character, is a blank slate and I wouldn’t intend on them being any more than that. Actor, the fighter, is much more interesting however, and I’ve already stated plenty of reasons why.
Now, thanks for leaving those notes, because it gave me a great idea - what if Actor was a duo fighter, like how Duck Hunt is a trio fighter? There would be an invisible entity beyond the screen, representative of the game maker, who would do the more game creation focused moves as the Actor does normal JRPG McSwordsguy stuff - just like how the Zapper part of Duck Hunt’s moveset works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom