• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
lol yeah, it was recorded

and like i told him afterward, it wasn't even annoying, just difficult. it just forces you to play aggressive and i like that anyway. although he also wasn't being super campy like armada.

stelzig

Smash Lord
^As I said before I heard the falcon couldn't avoid this because of his long dashjump (and momentum). I guess you guys know better though, as said I have only even tried it once, and it just happened to work out for me.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Good job Idea! Way to rep the puff... I didn't get to watch any of your matches while at The Big House, but I did see Vellyn play. How do you feel about his puff?

Usmash oos seemed to be working for me alot in tournament. Is the move worth using often, or should I be turning those opportunities into rests?

I definitely need falcon help so Im gonna learn to rest his downthrow knee if its mis-spaced.. So you rest right as his thigh rises into you (the actual kneecap has passed you horizontally)???

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Just as a tidbit, you can dthrow > rest Falcon at semi-low percents (I think around the 20s?) I've seen Hbox do it, and it's certainly something worth bringing out as a surprise.

Massive

Smash Champion
Just as a tidbit, you can dthrow > rest Falcon at semi-low percents (I think around the 20s?) I've seen Hbox do it, and it's certainly something worth bringing out as a surprise.
This only works if they try to DI behind you or don't DI at all.
You can also rest Shiek, Marth, Gannondorf, and several others exactly the same way.

Dthrow is probably the easiest throw in the game to DI though.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I often don't get it, but when I do down throw, I notice that (at least the first time) they don't DI. I don't know just how many people stay actively aware of it, but it's nice to keep in mind, I guess?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think down throw is really good to position FFers at the edge on FD. If they roll into you, you can rest them, and everything else can be covered by jumping forward and other sorts of things.

idea

Smash Master
Good job Idea! Way to rep the puff... I didn't get to watch any of your matches while at The Big House, but I did see Vellyn play. How do you feel about his puff?

Usmash oos seemed to be working for me alot in tournament. Is the move worth using often, or should I be turning those opportunities into rests?
he's pretty good. i like his puff more than i did a year ago. i'm just biased toward more aggressive/risky puff players, and he seems like he got better at that stuff, so i like his puff now :p

upsmash oos is alright, but i don't really bother with it myself. it does combo into rest on fastfallers sometimes, and if not that then some other moves, so it's worth it to learn. it's kinda situational and i don't know those situations since i've never really used it.

also i forgot to play you or say hi or anything...i played so few friendlies at that tourney...

I often don't get it, but when I do down throw, I notice that (at least the first time) they don't DI. I don't know just how many people stay actively aware of it, but it's nice to keep in mind, I guess?
yeah, i think that only works with bad DI, but maybe those people are just scared of whatever else they imagine you might do if they DI away. also if they DI to a platform you can rest them anyway, maybe they were trying to avoid that but forgot that you can still punish DIing in.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i dont really play puff but it seems to me like usmash oos is useful when you're in a situation where resting isnt' profitable (you're at 50 and they're at 150; you're down on stocks; etc)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Usmash is terrible at killing compared to the risk involved imo. Fsmash or just a fair OoS will do a lot better.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Upsmash is apparently good (sometimes) in Puff dittos, though (it seems to be anyways, as shown by Hbox vs Mango Pound 4/Genesis sets).

idea

Smash Master
oh, that's true, i kill peaches with upsmash occasionally. or upair. vs. FFers i can only see it being useful when it combos or forces them to tech on a platform.

is it just me, or does every jiggs main secretly have a weird falco they never actually use? seems like it's a lot of people.

Massive

Smash Champion
oh, that's true, i kill peaches with upsmash occasionally. or upair. vs. FFers i can only see it being useful when it combos or forces them to tech on a platform.

is it just me, or does every jiggs main secretly have a weird falco they never actually use? seems like it's a lot of people.
Yes.
I randomly pull my falco out in friendlies and beat foxes who beat my jiggs.
Then I go back to getting usmash shieldpoke KO'd.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
i dont really play puff but it seems to me like usmash oos is useful when you're in a situation where resting isnt' profitable (you're at 50 and they're at 150; you're down on stocks; etc)
This is a HUGE issue with me when I play: to rest or not to rest at certain percentages? Is it worth it to go for an utilt rest at 0% when your opponent will definitely be able to di and come back to you for at least a quick punish? (not to mention that for some characters giving them 40% gives them enough percent to di out of another utilt) Should I focus on getting in one bair first?

The larger part of this issue for me is not resting when they are at high percents. Often I don't try to force them into rest opportunities because I know that they are 2 bairs away from death. BUTTTTTTTTT in the mean time they may put 50% on me and I should have just gone for that rest in the first place.

IF you are tied in stocks and both at mid-high percent and you rest them off the side, they could come back and kill you. So should your own percentage play a huge role in choosing to set up rest opportunities?

Confusing stuff to me. I usually just feel it out

Usmash is terrible at killing compared to the risk involved imo. Fsmash or just a fair OoS will do a lot better.
If you are overlapping your opponent and you see him come out of shield, it seems like usmash is worth it cause its fast and does more damage. If you accidently do it too early and just hit their shield, they get a good amount of shield stun that they have to account for before punishing you. I like it cause I feel its fast and I can do it on reaction to when they drop their shield.

Upsmash is apparently good (sometimes) in Puff dittos, though (it seems to be anyways, as shown by Hbox vs Mango Pound 4/Genesis sets).
yeah against floaties for sure, but it can combo fast fallers into rest or a bair. Lol I used it against a pichu in pools. Worked for me. he'd try to usmash oos and I wait and get him with my own usmash oos

Wish I coulda seen more of your puff. I didn't make it out of pools. Ditto would have been kinda lame lol I did get to play you briefly at Pound 5 tho. And earlier I meant rather than usmash oos, should I just rest oos for those opportunities?

I don't have a falco secondary, but Im workin on ICs :icsbrawl:

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
okay well. basically if you're winning, and after a rest and the subsequent reverse kill, you would no longer be winning, don't rest. so like if you're at 70% vs fox and he's at like 180%, resting isn't optimal even if you get the opportunity.

and if you're losing and after a rest you will be losing by more, don't rest. duh. like the same as above but you're down a stock.

but there are other reasons to rest. it messes with people's heads, in general. and they always have the chance to DI it wrong and die off the top and not come back and kill you. so there's a little bit of 'feel' to it.

idea

Smash Master
Wish I coulda seen more of your puff. I didn't make it out of pools. Ditto would have been kinda lame lol I did get to play you briefly at Pound 5 tho. And earlier I meant rather than usmash oos, should I just rest oos for those opportunities?
i played kels and 4% on a small tv near the back left of the room (if you picture the room just as you walk through the door), juggleguy on another in that corner, and i played vanz and raynex on the row of tvs just to the left as you walk in.

also i don't really mind the puff ditto...in small doses. sauc3 tells me it feels basically the same as metaknight dittos.

and uh, basically i agree with foxlisk. if you can rest oos and kill someone, you should, by default. you should refrain from doing that when it doesn't make sense in terms of the stocks or the percentages...y'know, when it'll put you at a disadvantage.

uhh...i guess upsmash oos could be good against fast fallers at times when you're not sure rest oos would work. i'm imagining it like this...fox is nairing at you and misspaces it a bit so his foot is kind of on top of your shield, and you're facing away from him. maybe you could get a rest off, but you could just as easily miss. if you upsmash, maybe you can rest him out of that, or get some sort of combo or techchase going, but it's not very risky if you miss. and it's good at trading with things, to your advantage. in other words, the higher "accuracy" rest has the more you should be willing to use it.

upsmash oos also seems really situational, since fastfallers can crouch cancel it for a while, and it doesn't force them to tech at very low percents either. at 10% you might kill falco with rest oos but you probably won't get to combo him with upsmash. i don't know what percentages exactly 'cause i never really use upsmash except to kill peach or jiggs.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I like upsmash. Against fox/falco when they are in the teen% (don't remember exact, but for fox it's lower than falco), a fresh upsmash will send them into that animation that they need to tech, so you could potentially get a chase out of it, or a jab->rest.

Also regarding resting, when I up throw fox/falco and they are at 0, I like to go for the sh uair to regrab. Usually if I go for the rest they will DI it anyway and live, so this way I at least tack on some damage and get another chance to go for an up throw rest. If they DI it, I can still get some damage on them. If you do it enough, you can mix it up by just upthrow resting them and they might go to the side if they are trying to SDI the uair.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
i played kels and 4% on a small tv near the back left of the room (if you picture the room just as you walk through the door), juggleguy on another in that corner, and i played vanz and raynex on the row of tvs just to the left as you walk in.

also i don't really mind the puff ditto...in small doses. sauc3 tells me it feels basically the same as metaknight dittos.

and uh, basically i agree with foxlisk. if you can rest oos and kill someone, you should, by default. you should refrain from doing that when it doesn't make sense in terms of the stocks or the percentages...y'know, when it'll put you at a disadvantage.

uhh...i guess upsmash oos could be good against fast fallers at times when you're not sure rest oos would work. i'm imagining it like this...fox is nairing at you and misspaces it a bit so his foot is kind of on top of your shield, and you're facing away from him. maybe you could get a rest off, but you could just as easily miss. if you upsmash, maybe you can rest him out of that, or get some sort of combo or techchase going, but it's not very risky if you miss. and it's good at trading with things, to your advantage. in other words, the higher "accuracy" rest has the more you should be willing to use it.

upsmash oos also seems really situational, since fastfallers can crouch cancel it for a while, and it doesn't force them to tech at very low percents either. at 10% you might kill falco with rest oos but you probably won't get to combo him with upsmash. i don't know what percentages exactly 'cause i never really use upsmash except to kill peach or jiggs.
HOW DID YOU BEAT KELS?!?!?!?!? WTF.

he does pretty good against members of the cast such as fox, falcon, but when it comes down to something he's never seen before like ganon or puff he just FREAKS THE HELL OUT, lol.

were the games close?

and be honest, did you beat kels, or did kels beat himself, if you know what I'm saying. :D

idea

Smash Master
yeah i dunno, he's definitely bad at the puff matchup, though i can't really pin down why. i beat him AND he beat himself...

but i mean, i have raynex, unknown, and weon-x in my region, and i play them at every tournament. i have so much fox practice. i guess part of it was that he wasn't movement camping me, that's what i usually lose to with fox.

also i was trying pretty hard 'cause i thought it would be cool to beat him twice :p

sanchaz

Smash Lord
yeah i dunno, he's definitely bad at the puff matchup, though i can't really pin down why. i beat him AND he beat himself...

but i mean, i have raynex, unknown, and weon-x in my region, and i play them at every tournament. i have so much fox practice. i guess part of it was that he wasn't movement camping me, that's what i usually lose to with fox.

also i was trying pretty hard 'cause i thought it would be cool to beat him twice :p
thx for the reply.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
HOW DID YOU BEAT KELS?!?!?!?!? WTF.

he does pretty good against members of the cast such as fox, falcon, but when it comes down to something he's never seen before like ganon or puff he just FREAKS THE HELL OUT, lol.

were the games close?

and be honest, did you beat kels, or did kels beat himself, if you know what I'm saying. :D
He seemed pretty cool when he fought me.. maybe I brought the best in himself which didn't help me. I hate my personality sometimes.. lol.

Massive

Smash Champion
Kels has a lot of troubles playing against Jiggs in general.

It could be because there's only maybe 2 or 3 decent Jiggs mains in the whole vastness of the Midwest.

sauc3

Smash Lord
puff dittos are JUST! like mk dittos :p, also shoutoutz the kyle for beating kels twice, fox is a tough *** matchup for puff if the fox knows how to camp (which im assuming kels knows how to do?), no matchup jons,

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You said that before KK, don't try to do it twice. Scrub.
You literally rehash the same message of "ERRYTANG CHANGEZ I AM ZE WARRIOR U DUN UNDAHSAND MEH" every time serious discussion comes around and someone challenges a nonsensical claim you make.

And you're accusing me of being stale?

I'll smother you with cotton candy for that!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
You literally rehash the same message of "ERRYTANG CHANGEZ I AM ZE WARRIOR U DUN UNDAHSAND MEH" every time serious discussion comes around and someone challenges a nonsensical claim you make.

And you're accusing me of being stale?

I'll smother you with cotton candy for that!
Ya because people are too stupid to understand and only see what they want to see so I deliberately write nonsense just to see if i get something out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom