• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
thanks. he really needs help with this....along with a ton of other people I bet.

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
hbox. my puff freind has been trying to D.I. the up throw and then up-air from fox so bad, but we don't know why it sometimes works or doesn't? we literally have done this thousands of times. is their a specific method for avoiding the second up-air from fox? I just tell him to spaz on the joystick and hope for the best.

anyone else can answer, we like to have a method that works most of the time.
Hold up when up-throwed

then mash up again right when he hits you
and then mash up on c-stick 1 frame after

idea

Smash Master
lol really? you just DI up a bunch of times? i'm gonna try that

edit: but even if that works most of the time it would probably be better to SDI it left or right when the first hit of upair hits you on the edge of your...jigglypuff. rather than the middle.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
SDI up & away > SDI away for Puff because of where she goes out of the throw and because of her floatiness (less sure about this at low percents; fairly sure at KO percents).

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
So the optimal choice is di the throw behind fox and then sdi the uair back the opposite way AND up?

How does this compare to hbox's strat? I kinda feel like the di'ing all up is good cause it forces the fox to be patient on his second jump.... like rather than the fox aiming to hit jiggz with the top of his uair hitbox, he has to aim higher = he has to wait for fox to reach maximum height on his first jump

edit: oh and does hitting up on the c-stick have to be one frame after the sdi? Thought it could just be inputted at the same time as sdi, for asdi

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
How do you know when to go for a rest or not? Occasionally I'll short hop OOS > rest, utilt > rest, or falling uair> rest, but I can never do it subconsciously. Is there a way to train so that you can just work those combos into your regular style? I mostly just throw out aerials until I get them off the stage and then I edgeguard, but I realize rest combos can kill much earlier.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
For me I get rest the most when I just do it.
When you are like "OMG I GOTS TO RESTS NOWS" you will fail.

boomrested

Smash Journeyman
Aiight thanks, I'm going to my first tournament in a few weeks and im maining puff, thanks for the tips.

idea

Smash Master
honestly, i used to be bad at that too, then raynex told me to just try resting all the time in friendlies until i got the hang of it. and it worked really fast :p

i mean, the goal is to compile in your head a list of times when rest will work (especially combos), so practicing it a lot is a pretty quick way to populate that list.

the short answer is...hit them into the air first if they're kinda heavy.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Definitely go with what Idea said, never hesitate from resting if you think its worth a shot in friendlies.. it'll train your brain to whats possible or not. Also as to what is probable (worth it) or not.

If you miss a bunch of rests in friendlies, don't let it embarrass you either. But on the same note, if you miss a bunch of rests don't try to force one AND don't let it effect you trying them either.

In friendlies when I miss a rest I always try to yell "jab me you won't"

Speaking of which, is there enough hitstun on say fox's jab to prevent a rest immediately after? I don't know many players that put their shield up after a jab, so I was wondering if its restable

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Dude thanks for that clip! madness. so the hitstun definitely ends before the jab if its deep enough into your jiggz. Also looks like the jiggz sdi'd into the rest.

So it looks pretty reliable if done perfectly. especially since foxes usually don't shield after jab. I'd like to see it done on a jab that is spaced farther though..

idea

Smash Master
avoid upsmash and the rest kind of falls into place. also he can't get through bair. it's kind of sad how much trouble low tiers have with jiggs' bair.

oh, and when pika is up-bing he has an enormous hurtbox, his body is stretched all over the place. so it's easy to hit him out of it. but if he's far enough away, it's usually better to let him go onstage and just rest him in the lag.

idea

Smash Master
pun not intended lol

also, IB seems to be really good at marth vs. puff. dunno when that happened. he's a lot harder than usual all of a sudden.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
I saw some of idea's matches, I really liked how he would just grab that one fox when he was dashing up to him, and you just punish like crazy, I'll teach my freind to do that (puff main)

HOWEVER that fox you were playing couldn't di upthrow.....

I wish I got to play people in canada, I live in wisconsin (milwaukee). where exactly do you guys host tournaments in canada?

idea

Smash Master
thanks. almost every tournament someone tells me "i was holding right/left but it just didn't DI"...same thing happens to me when i play spacies against puff. i'm not really sure why...maybe it's just that jiggs throws them so fast.

haha, canada is a big country :p i guess mainly tournaments are in toronto, montreal, and some areas in british columbia. sometimes in ottawa.

Mahone

Smash Champion
u can crouch rest that **** or rest it oos...

of course he can do it so he slides past you but thats still pretty ****

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
u can crouch rest that **** or rest it oos...

of course he can do it so he slides past you but thats still pretty ****
I do that when he tries to downsmash, but the problem occurs when Im airborne.. I bair or something and he'll stay in shield then wd out to a sliding upsmash. He's the fastest luigi i've seen. Guess I just gotta mix up my aerial pattern so he can't read it as easily.

Anything elsee I could do?

G

genkaku

I saw some of idea's matches, I really liked how he would just grab that one fox when he was dashing up to him, and you just punish like crazy, I'll teach my freind to do that (puff main)

HOWEVER that fox you were playing couldn't di upthrow.....

I wish I got to play people in canada, I live in wisconsin (milwaukee). where exactly do you guys host tournaments in canada?
LIES
no one lives in milwaukee but me. It suckkkks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom