• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahone

Smash Champion
most rules now don't have brinstar and rainbow.... also, i approve of mute city so i can finally do what i want and use rollout 3-4 times per match... even though i do that anyways

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, if RC is gone, I guess I feel a little better about Brinstar being gone (I never went there, anyways). But if they get rid of KJ64, PS *should* be the next to go. I say should cause I don't know if they'll screw spacies like that.

It seems like we might as well just play on Battlefield forever (which I don't mind that much).

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Hbox **** uses only up to jump and z for aerials damm

And I read that they took them out for brawl, but I didn't know they did the same for melee (but I guess they're the exact same stages lol)

-LzR-

Smash Hero
They didn't take them out of Brawl, it's kinda region based. Finland has them and will probably always do, the rest of the Europe doesn't really have them and America most of the time has at least one them legal.

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
Well it really hurts puff... taking Brinstar away. Lol I seriously have been spending a lot of time trying to get comfortable on that stage and then they take it away... sizzling circuits!!!

Republican0fHeaven

Smash Ace
**** brinstar thats all i gotta say that cheap *** stage
You just gotta learn the stage man... but wait... now I guess you don't at all.

Getting back to my problem with falcon. Let's say he gets the dthrow knee, how do I di the knee to avoid another one? Seems like straight up is a good option

stelzig

Smash Lord
Getting back to my problem with falcon. Let's say he gets the dthrow knee, how do I di the knee to avoid another one? Seems like straight up is a good option
Try resting him out of it, it's ****ing hillarious when it works :awesome: (i've only ever actually got to trying it once, as I rarely play puff, but that one time it did work out for me, and it won me the game which I would've lost if the knee had hit, hahahahaha)

Don't know for sure if it actually wins at some percentages if the falcon does it perfectly, but I remember it as such when I read about it... And either way it's too good ^x^

G

genkaku

Try resting him out of it, it's ****ing hillarious when it works :awesome: (i've only ever actually got to trying it once, as I rarely play puff, but that one time it did work out for me, and it won me the game which I would've lost if the knee had hit, hahahahaha)

Don't know for sure if it actually wins at some percentages if the falcon does it perfectly, but I remember it as such when I read about it... And either way it's too good ^x^
I forgot about that crap!
Sooo goooood

Tekk

Smash Lord
I can't really explain how it works, but you can definetely rest Falcon on his knee.
I guess you just have to see when he missspaces it (when his thigh is on you before the knee hits) and rest.

Massive

Smash Champion
I can't really explain how it works, but you can definetely rest Falcon on his knee.
I guess you just have to see when he missspaces it (when his thigh is on you before the knee hits) and rest.
The only time really possible to do this vs a jiggs-wise falcon is when they go for/accidentally use a reverse knee.

It's definitely worth a try if you're positive you're going to get knee'd and die though. I mean, what have you got to lose?

idea

Smash Master
falcon is arguably the (worthwhile) character most vulnerable to jigglypuff's crouch. it's between him and sheik. with sheik it's better for punishing mistakes, but if she's not making those mistakes it might be harder for falcon to deal with.

although i don't think you should be giving falcon room to run around in the first place.

Massive

Smash Champion
although i don't think you should be giving falcon room to run around in the first place.
Which is why you ALWAYS BAN DREAMLAND.

It is arguably Falcon's best stage.

Taking falcon to Yoshis or Battlefield has always yielded good results for me.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I definitely should try to rest out of Falcons Dthrow to knee next time. If I am in stun and cannot do it, no harm done for trying :)
It would be sooo much win to do that xD

Also, guys... When you watch your own videos, how do you take notes of stuff you need to remember or improve?
I could really use being able to learn a lot from videos.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
When I look at my videos, the first thing (and the easiest thing IMO) I look for are patterns in my playstyle. Do I like rolling a lot, side stepping, or staying in shield when I'm under pressure? Am I doing any of these in good situations, or bad ones? Do I roll off the ledge too much, or do I recover in the same way (i.e. using Pound a certain number of times, or landing on the same platform)? Is my combo DI the same all the time? Do I combo DI well, or survival DI well?

Then you want to start asking yourself why you made certain moves. Why did I did I use a nair here, and is there something better that I could have used? Am I mixing up my approaches, or do I always come in with a low bair? Are there approaches that I could use instead in this situation, or in that situation? Why was I using fair to get in, instead of bair, or nair?

You want to make sure that you VERY good reasons for each move that you make, and make sure that you don't develop too many patterns in your play style that your opponent can exploit. For example, to take it back to the Falcon discussion: how am I DI'ing his d-throw? The same way every time, or am I mixing it up? If you see that you get hit by a lot of knees, ask yourself, "Why am I getting hit by so many knees?" If the problem is that you DI the same way every time, take a mental note of that.

Can I do what I want? Do I seem uncomfortable with my character at all? This relates mainly to technical ability, but if you see that you often mess up wave dashes or L-cancels, that is certainly an important thing to note, ESPECIALLY when those mistakes cost you stocks.

And look at your opponent, too. Are there tricks that he/she uses that I am falling for? Does he pick up on my habits? Do I pick up on his habits? Why does he place certain moves there, and not others? Does he approach the same way every time, and do I punish him for it?

Mango once said that whenever you watch Melee videos, do not look at the combos. Everyone watches the combos. Look for the little things, the little nuances in play. This is essentially what you have to do, is look for the little things.

It seems like a lot to look out for, and it is, but you'll get better with time. I would recommend, in addition to your own videos, watching a LOT of Melee vids, and looking at them not so much from an entertainment point of view, but from a studious point of view.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: You could also try writing things down that you notice, and looking those notes over when you're done. That will probably help.

idea

Smash Master
one thing you might not have considered is to look at the other character the entire game. think about what they're doing, what they usually hit you with, what seems easy for them and what seems difficult.

Massive

Smash Champion
one thing you might not have considered is to look at the other character the entire game. think about what they're doing, what they usually hit you with, what seems easy for them and what seems difficult.
Since jigglypuff's inputs are not all that complicated, this is probably the optimal strategy. I don't know of many other jiggs players who have difficulty with the technical side of things (besides resting and maybe certain DI things), so getting into the other opponent's head is what will win you matches.

Hilariously enough for most characters there are only a preset number of ways they can approach or respond in various scenarios (the number of options they have actually correlates pretty well with their placement on the tier list). If you can understand what they will do and when it gives you an absurd advantage.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ok thanks, that sounds complicated as hell >_>
How am I gonna be able to notice anything from videos...

idea

Smash Master
meh, you can start from simple questions like..."why do i get hit by move x so much?" or "why did he run past me and charge upsmash, and why did it work?"

another thing you can try is to watch a video of someone obviously better than you and pretend you're playing the match. i know someone who would do this with a gamecube controller in hand. sooner or later the player will do something you wouldn't have thought to, or they will hold back when you would have approached, or they will wavedash instead of jumping, or whatever, and you can think about why they do things differently and why it might be better their way.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Well, those were kind of ideas that I threw out, but it's normally good to focus on one at a time. The one you'll see the most is you getting hit bit a certain move (or a lot in general), and you can start from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwc1-eV028s

Here is a vid of my Puff against a Marth player from here. Tips/critique/advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Lzr here's one really important tip (applies no matter what character you play):

Look at your opponent, do NOT look at your own character, or minimize it

It's hard at first but when you start doing you'll notice how you play and space better

Another thing if you want to improve you will have to WANT to win, I mean you really need to want it. Focus on wanting to win and you'll see how your game improves.

Oh and one more thing

Fox is ****ing gay

**** fox

E: We need to play soon again, puff dittoes ;D

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Here is a vid of my Puff against a Marth player from here. Tips/critique/advice would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
I only watched part of the first match, but my advice is that you fair way too much. Some of those fairs you did could have easily been punished.

Bair is way better. It's not as easily punished and has great range. There is a reason Hbox bairs so much.

Also random Marth matchup tip. DI his throws downwards after 30% if you don't want him to to fsmash you.

There is a disadvantage to DI-ing down(Which I won't say! LOL!), but most Marths don't know the disadvantage so just DI down for now.

Random puff tip. Condition people into their shields by throwing out a lot of bairs. Then you throw out grabs when they camp their shield in fear of bairs.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Huh. Thanks, Darc. I appreciate it. Yeah, I suppose I should get into the habit of bairing more. Though the move does make me feel a little weird. Not used to turning my back on characters. =P

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
How do I deal with Fox? I've tried to watch videos of Hungrybox and this was the most recent I could find:

Noob 3 GF Colbol vs Hbox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4OlXVhgJYU

Colbol played like ****, he didn't use any lasers (I don't want to take credit from hungrybox though even without lasers the matchup is ****ing hard). When Fox is laser camping you the matchup is nearly impossible, so any advice?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's so impossible it's like 6-4!

Anyway, Hbox just said what to do vs Fox like 10 posts ago. Maybe you should... try... reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom