• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still use G&W against DK

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering if G&W is still a viable choice against Dk. If so then wat tactics or attacks are recommened. (I'm a noob, plz help)

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Trying to get in tends to be a pain but baiting attacks and then punishing can work. Once you get inside you should be able to juggle him really well.

If all else fails you can fall back and toss food at him. Not much he can do then except try to approach.

Nicole

Smash Champion
This is a neutral matchup, just watch your spacing, DK has some serious range. I would go easy on the turtle, DK has lots of answers to it, and these answers can really kill you. Force DK to approach you, there's nothing he can do to you from a distance.

Valdens

Smash Ace
Get DK into the air and **** him, use bair to punish his laggy attacks, play smart hit and run when he has a full punch

GnW has the slight advantage I feel

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
IMO matchup is in G&W's favor, but you need to be experienced with DK and know how to really pay attention to him. If you don't pay attention and fall into bad habits, you can get punished severely. If you know what his options are and know how to react to each one, he'll be hard pressed to do anything to you while he gets juggled to death.

Intellingent shieldcamping is very key in this matchup along with smart juggling. All of DK's approaches are VERY punishable if you know how they work. His B-air is countered by out of shield attacks above you, not to mention his B-air -> headbutt mindgames. His Giant Punch can be powershielded on reaction if you're good at that. Charged Up-smashes are excellent for punishing him as he lands.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Dk can be pretty hard ... he has more range on almost every attack.
I reccomend playing defensive because his approaches are limited and he can punish your approaches even if you space correctly.
Try to get him in the air because then you are in the better position. Juggle him with Nair and Uair.

Watch out for his smashes and his giant punch, if you mess up di, you'll die at ridiculous percentages.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Against the full charge, maybe. Against the 9 punch, probably not, but the 9 Punch doesn't have SA, and comes out slower than the full charge.

Tero.

Smash Champion
Against the full charge, maybe. Against the 9 punch, probably not, but the 9 Punch doesn't have SA, and comes out slower than the full charge.
Giant Punch not fully charged (9 rotations).

It has more knockback but is a bit slower and has no SA as said above.

Wobby

Smash Apprentice
Man, this match up has been what knocked me out of the winners bracket the last two OoS tourneys I have been to, I still feel it is neutral, just do not get aggressive, chef seems to work well in this matchup as well.

K@0S

Smash Ace
IMO it's in g&w favor (something like 6:4), because of chef (this can sound dumb but it works sooo well in this match-up) . Ledgeguard with it and mess up his approaches/oblige him to approach by throwing one or two bacon and keep the pressure that way.

And about basic stuff, this :

Dk can be pretty hard ... he has more range on almost every attack.
I reccomend playing defensive because his approaches are limited and he can punish your approaches even if you space correctly.
Try to get him in the air because then you are in the better position. Juggle him with Nair and Uair.

Watch out for his smashes and his giant punch, if you mess up di, you'll die at ridiculous percentages.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Chef works on him really well, but be careful. Bacon =/= lasers. They can get fanned away. But you space it right, it shuts down all of his approaches, and turns him towards you.

Pious Geometry

Smash Rookie
It would seem like GaW would have a 6:4 Advantage in this match up

Range of power of Dk are problems but GaW has advantages in the air, off the ledge, and projectile coverage

A tenacious GaW aerial game will present problems for even the best Dk users

Oblique

Smash Apprentice
Dk is big so its an easy target, slow with great power. If i was in a 2 out of 3 match in a tourney i would save up G&W for someone else (like a high - top tier), and use one of my lower tiers against Dk.

In any other situation like friendlies use G&W most likely.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Dk is big so its an easy target, slow with great power. If i was in a 2 out of 3 match in a tourney i would save up G&W for someone else (like a high - top tier), and use one of my lower tiers against Dk.

In any other situation like friendlies use G&W most likely.
Because you can run out of Character Selects?

K@0S

Smash Ace
Yeah g&w is so good that you can pick him once only :colorful:

If you REALLY want to counter DK, DDD is the way to go (but prepare yourself for being insulted of everything if you use the standing chaingrab uh). But g&w is still nice.

Slasherx

Smash Ace
Use Nair or Bair, or shield grabs.
Remember the Dsmash is faster then all of Dk moves.
Just don't get spike, or get hit by a Dk punch or you're dead.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Remember the Dsmash is faster then all of Dk moves.
False, G&W's D-smash comes out frame 15. DK's D-smash comes out frame 11 IIRC.

It's not hard to land a Smash on DK however. Juggle him. Call an air dodge and run where he is going to land. Charge Up-smash and release as he is landing. This will KO him at around 80%.

If you call him charging a F-smash, know how much range it has. Charge a Smash outside that range and release as he tries to F-smash you. The goal is to hit his hands.

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
I see so jugling then wait for DK to land then punish is the way to go
Thanks everyone, now i have no trouble beating DK actually i rather like versing DK now:)

But i still have some trouble with is Dsmash:psycho:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
DK is so fun to play. I wouldn't dream of doing something lame like going King Dedede on him avoiding real gameplay (not that I'm any good with King Dedede anyway).

Anyway, back when darkrain played brawl (months ago), he used DK. What I saw was that DK's most dangerous tool in this matchup is the Giant Punch with super armor. Don't let DK charge that thing unharassed, and be super smart with spacing. This matchup is so crazy because you have to be really aggressive and really careful, but I feel confident on the Mr. Game & Watch side of it. Also, I played Ripple at a minor tournament which left me with the same impressions of the matchup; don't let DK pick Luigi's Mansion. Really, don't. It may just be Ripple though...

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I know the Midwest is very liberal about stage legality, but Luigi's Mansion shouldn't even be legal to begin with.

there is nothing wrong with mansion, if you have a problem with it just destroy the pillars and it becomes a FD with bigger death zones. nothing stops you from destroying them and having a 30 sec FD. in fact it could help you with stale moves

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
there is nothing wrong with mansion, if you have a problem with it just destroy the pillars and it becomes a FD with bigger death zones. nothing stops you from destroying them and having a 30 sec FD. in fact it could help you with stale moves
That's absurd. It takes more than thirty seconds to destroy the stage, during which your opponent is harrassing you.

Luigi's Mansion is the new Hyrule Temple, complete with Cave of Life. Except people maining certain characters (MK, Olimar, DK) want it kept legal because of the absurd advantage it gives htem. It's a horrible competitive stage and why it is legal is beyond me.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
That's absurd. It takes more than thirty seconds to destroy the stage, during which your opponent is harrassing you.

Luigi's Mansion is the new Hyrule Temple, complete with Cave of Life. Except people maining certain characters (MK, Olimar, DK) want it kept legal because of the absurd advantage it gives htem. It's a horrible competitive stage and why it is legal is beyond me.
well I did live til 312% against domo's MK

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
dude try using arial attacks like the briefcase and turtle cause if you pull them out a little early hes to big to even get close cause they stay out for so long.

Top Bottom