• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Still use G&W against DK

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
well I did live til 312% against domo's MK
Precisely why it should be banned. >_< cave of life. You shouldn't live until 312%.

The stage encourages absurdly long matches and heavy camping. Same reason Hanenbow is banned, and the same reason Hyrule Temple is banned.

Tero.

Smash Champion
The stage encourages absurdly long matches and heavy camping. Same reason Hanenbow is banned, and the same reason Hyrule Temple is banned.

iirc the circle on tempel is the reason why it's banned (at least it was in melee).

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
The circle?

Do you mean the small platform next to the cave of life?

Tero.

Smash Champion
The circle?

Do you mean the small platform next to the cave of life?
No.

This circle.
You can hit your opponent once (e.g. Fox laser) and then run away for 8 minutes using the path shown in the picture and you will win because of % lead.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
What was so bad about that match? The R.O.B. was just outplayed until the last 50 seconds (in a boring way like all Plank matches). At that point, Meta Knight was up around 60% and ran away at which point the R.O.B. chased him in a pretty incompetent manner, not making any serious attempt to destroy the mansion (when next to the upper pillars as R.O.B., down smashes break them fast and is safe when the opponent is running away like that) and instead opting to self destruct. The R.O.B. was generally very non-aggressive the whole match even as the short 7 minute timer started to get low, even to the point where it was unlikely that against a very stallish player like Plank he would have been able to make up for his disadvantage on any stage. There's no foul in that match. If anything, it looks more like an argument for 8 minute timers instead of 7 minutes to me...

In fact, the R.O.B. player's strategy was consistently awful with the pillars. He kept breaking the last pillar and allowing the mansion to regenerate even though Plank was obviously benefiting more from the mansion being around. If the R.O.B. player had always refused to attack the final pillar, he could have saved himself a lot of trouble.

Yeah, Hanenbow and Temple are about loops, not "caves of life". You can break the cave if you don't like it anyway, and Hanenbow has no caves of life. Hanenbow sucks regardless, but it still doesn't have a cave of life.

pheX

Smash Apprentice
I've played this match up pretty pretty often. And I just hate it.
On of my crew mates is maining DK and in local tournements the grand final
highly likely to be me against him ;)

Nevertheless I still choose GaW against DK.
First of all: It really depends on the map! If you have a good counterpick
the match up can be very fun. (I really like to play DKs on Rainbow cruise^^)

On Yoshis Island its a complete nightmare. If you've got wrong DI you are going DOWN xD
Don't forget to not pick Corneria. Its one of the best GaW stages but also one of the best DK stages.

As Tero already said the range is the biggest problem you have
Ftilt, fsmash, bair, dtilt, and down b all have ridicilously good ranges.
If your spacing isnt perfect you'll get punished imediately which is a huge
problem since DK can finish you at very low % and you on the other hand
need a large amount of damage to finish him, especially if his DI and momentum canceling
are good.
Also really annyoing are the stupid super armor frames of the neutral B. don't forget about them.
So your chances are at the air game. try to keep him in the air with your upair and get him with your nair.

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
Yer the most annoying thing with DK has to be his neutral B and its super armor frames. Most times in the heat of battle i just forget about it and 'wam' I just lost another stock. :(
So from all the posts im guessing DK is weak in the air.

Top Bottom