• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Whaat.

My problem with it is its starting lag- you're very vulnerable while sliding and starting U-smash.

It's still very punishable.
I believe usmash is invulnerable during the jumping animation. Charging usmash helps, because it releases into the invincibility frames quickly.

If its spaced appropriately, I think Sonic has enough speed to avoid being hit out of the initial lag. After all, you don't wanna hit with the first hit anyways, so you should be spacing it so it conencts a little late, in the "safer" part.

Its not to say usmash is spammable though. Not at all XD. Just a good damager to use now and then. I prefer it Dsmash anyways =P

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
On topic though, I LOVE Usmash, it has so many hits for some semi-damage-racking (assuming it doesn't push them away until the final hit), it can eat through shields, it can be hypened for gap-closing (sometimes), it changes Sonic's hurtbox to just the ball, and it still is quite a safe move to use when it isn't in the lagging frames. The only thing that could make this move better was if it had killing potential! (it does but that's at very high percentages and it most likely has to be undiminished)

That's just the stuff most people have yet to mention, some people say iot has invincibility frames (I never notice them in combat, I need to find a video showing it to see it myself :/)
Oh how did I forget to mention, I only fall more in love with Usmash with platforms, nothing is better than attacking like a groundhog. :laugh:
Kinzer! Are you......me?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There's no differentiation between Sonics other than the occasional coloring and arm/leg braclets, for all we know we COULD all be the same person. :laugh:

Heck let's go ahead and do the fusion dance anyway, I bet we can do so many things in an hour.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Have you lost faith in Boxob, Cat?

He will come to your house and beat you with Steak if you don't believe.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
None may defile the Steak.

On-topic, somebody really HAS to figure out how that one guy did a cancelled Usmash off the stage, imagine the possibilities of an uncommited Usmash to a Boxobbair.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
It was power shielded. Here's what you do.
Watch the video.
Near the time he does it, pause it.
Then just click pause 2 times really fast. Do this over and over. You'll see eventually that he powershielded it.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
That seems really odd since to my knowledge, it is impossible to powershield it during the duration of the move.
Uh, well, that's the only way I can explain how the shield pushed. It might've been simply shielded... But I'm too stupid to know if shielding stuff pushes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It doesn't seem too logical since to my knowledge PSs don't push anything away, also Sonic's Usmash is a multi-hit move, so HOW CAN you PS something like that? Anyway if that were true than that sucks how it's not something you can control. :(

Napilopez

Smash Lord
It doesn't seem too logical since to my knowledge PSs don't push anything away, also Sonic's Usmash is a multi-hit move, so HOW CAN you PS something like that? Anyway if that were true than that sucks how it's not something you can control. :(
you can powershield multihit moves, at least a few of the hits. Its not humanly possible to powershield all the hits in a move like Sonic's Usmash though.

But you are correct about the powershielding not pushing back. I'm almost certain it doesn't push back, afterall thats what Sakurai designed it for, so that you can quickly counter.

Anyways, Terios is right, its absolutely awesome against MK. Go try it, sillies. MK's blade may go through alot of stuff, but I bet you it doesn't go through invincibility frames XD.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No I'm talking about PSs having pushback on the person who USED the attack, not the reciever of the attack, but I still think both players stay in the same spot otherwise.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Well a normal blocks give you the ability to slide off the stage.

Maybe the PS does the same, except it doesn't push you, the slide granted by the DAC provided that.

:093:

Browny

Smash Hater
usmash is pretty hot against ledgehopped/get up attacks. so many characters you can slide into them as they do a ledge attack and you will spin above thier attack (like wolf, lucario < 100% get-up attack) and hit them, also hits people out of roll frames, and invincibility works well against ledgehopped fairs :D

I think the potential damage output * chance of this working vs the damage you will take from a ledge attack if you time it wrong makes it worth using at least once per stock so t doesnt become predictable.

also, i have replays where i hyphen smashed right over the top of lucarios fsmash, and during the crouching animation, and have slid below robs laser to hit him :p

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
In my 2nd to last tourney, i hyphen-smashed DK. Not just any DK mind you... a fully charged punch waiting-for-me-to-approach DK....
Basically... ran up>started to charge it>he released> I realead perfectly to invincible!> crap... super armor/lingers... im pwnt> WTF!!! your spinning above it znd hitting me after SA frames! Hax!!> Chased offstage Bair
Sick

Catt

Smash Apprentice
usmash is pretty hot against ledgehopped/get up attacks. so many characters you can slide into them as they do a ledge attack and you will spin above thier attack (like wolf, lucario < 100% get-up attack) and hit them, also hits people out of roll frames, and invincibility works well against ledgehopped fairs :D

I think the potential damage output * chance of this working vs the damage you will take from a ledge attack if you time it wrong makes it worth using at least once per stock so t doesnt become predictable.

also, i have replays where i hyphen smashed right over the top of lucarios fsmash, and during the crouching animation, and have slid below robs laser to hit him :p
What he said.

I love hyphen smashing after using dash attack 1 or 2 times. They don't shield long enough because they were prepared for the dash instead of Usmash, just throw in some dash grabs every now and then and you've got a good mind game going.

It's also amazing against intercepting landing lag/ attack lag

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
My favorite personal use for Usmash would definately be DACing it right as the match starts. Nothing says "lol, you have 10+ damage before the match even started" quite like a DAC usmash.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Mmm its input is just really hard. I'll use the U-smash mainly as a shake up, because when being approached at by some1 in the air, I usually go into the air to meet them. But every now and then i'll hyphen it up or DAC if i am confident which my teching at the time. Usually works too.
Also when they are on the ground hyphen is ground (as in knocked down)

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Actually I had misread his post and thought he meant that Sonic powershielded not the opponent.

The shield can push but that depends entirely on the knockback produced by the move that is shielded.

it is how I once killed Proud's Dk when he giant punched.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Sorry if this may have already been said, but I like to spice up my game by usmashing after shielding someone's attack, during their recovery lag.

of course this doesn't work on that ******* pikachu...HE HAS NO RECOVERY LAG.

SonicX580

Smash Lord
Sorry if this may have already been said, but I like to spice up my game by usmashing after shielding someone's attack, during their recovery lag.

of course this doesn't work on that ******* pikachu...HE HAS NO RECOVERY LAG.
Sounds like a good strategey.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Ah yeah.
I kinda stopped maintaining this thread because it didn't look like people were too bothered about it. It's just a move-set discussion after all, and everything we're saying is known by us Sonic mains who know what we're doing.
However, I'm going to do the write-ups more extensively now, I'm going to go back and add things to old ones, like who to use it on effectively, when to use it, the whole she-bang.
Sorry, I'ma gonna be more organised and update this regularly now. I'm going to do the write up for upsmash right now.

In the mean time, you guys discuss nair. It's fast becoming one of my favourite moves.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Nair:

Damage:
Strong~ 11%
Medium~ 8%
Weak~ 5%

Long duration so it's good for air dodgers but Soinc is easily knocked out of. It comes out fast and Dtilt>Nair and weak Nair>jab at low percentages are legit combos? Also good for stage spiking. Plus it covers a large area

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I thought it didn't cover much of a big area...
Hence why he's knocked out of it.

Aerially - Little range = little priority, in a very shorthand sense.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I forget about Nair too often. It's great for continuing out of SDJ's, and I KO with Nair too often at high percents, usually because it's not stale like my Fair and Bair :)

Top Bottom