• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
sometimes when I f**k up my homing attacks and go over my opponent when recovering from the edge, but bounce off the ground instead of land, they're usually so stunned that I b-air them to the face.

I've actually KO'd with this once, it's was epic.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Bair is a great move. I love ground spin jumping (I STILL can't remember the name of that tech :/) over a projectile spammer and Bairing them from behind. It's also a decent kill move

Has anyone experienced the Bair hitbox to linger for quite a while? I've used Bair several times, missed and then when my opponent attempts to get in close at me, they get hit by a somewhat weaker Bair

:063:

This Pokemon thing is quite addicting...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Bair is a great move. I love ground spin jumping (I STILL can't remember the name of that tech :/) over a projectile spammer and Bairing them from behind. It's also a decent kill move
I believe you're thinking of the spinshot, basically a double jump where Sonic launches himself out of a spin dash at ground speed, but in the air at an arch.
Has anyone experienced the Bair hitbox to linger for quite a while? I've used Bair several times, missed and then when my opponent attempts to get in close at me, they get hit by a somewhat weaker Bair

This Pokemon thing is quite addicting...
Yeah, Boxob has preached that Bair is disjointed, lol.

:061:

Who doesn't like Pokemanz?

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Chis you never cease to amaze me. How do you manage to post whilst not even being online?

It's not a spinshot (that's what I originally thought it was) because you jump after using it and Sonic is in his spikey light blue animation. >< I can't believe I keep forgetting what it's called

I'm not sure Chis...I'm possibly hitting someone with the sour spot but what I'm talking about is that my opponent gets hit when I've performed Bair and the move looks as though it's over D:

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Chis you never cease to amaze me. How do you manage to post whilst not even being online?
Magic.

It's not a spinshot (that's what I originally thought it was) because you jump after using it and Sonic is in his spikey light blue animation. >< I can't believe I keep forgetting what it's called

I'm not sure Chis...I'm possibly hitting someone with the sour spot but what I'm talking about is that my opponent gets hit when I've performed Bair and the move looks as though it's over D:

Yeah that's it. I've tried it. It looks like it's over but it's not. That's the sour spot.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Oh, well if you still have the light blue animation, I think you're refering to simply the Spin Dash Jump (SDJ)
Oh, sour spot bairs are pretty nifty.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I am legit disappointed in the amount of spam this topic has fallen to.

I've done the Boxobair write-up, bair will come later.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I am legit disappointed in the amount of spam this topic has fallen to.

I've done the Boxobair write-up, bair will come later.
We still got a lot of info down about application of the Bair, and if you let the discussion go for a bit, we'll get all the is to the bair out in the open for everyone to know.

Productive spammy board is productive.

:093:

Boxob

Smash Champion
Legit, I don't like how Boxobair is the staled out Bair. In a real match, it's impossible to do, almost.

Unlike all the other Box techs, that have application, I'd rather it just be called Boxobair, with no definitive definition.

lol

:093:

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Sorry I've been slacking, but I've done the bair write up, uair is now up for discussion. Not by me though, I'm still doing essays for college. Which I've got to be on the bus to in 5 hours, and I still haven't slept.
:(
Talking about uair.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
U-air is amazing. Freaking Awesome priority on second kick and has horizontal range too. Star KO is fun too. Good for Sharking. Yups, yups.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Stagespikes become 10X sexier if you use the first part of the u-air instead of bair.

Also does wonders on ppl getting up from the ledge.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Uair has way more style points if you hit people with it as you're descending vertically.

Especially if it's close to the stage, like not after an up-B as usual.

Just sayin'.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
Wait ROOOY! I think Bair is a sex-kick. The heel launches the target the other way. But the sour spot comes a moment after Sonic sticks his foot out.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
That it does chis...that it does...Bairs are too good.

Anyway moving on to Uair...it's just as good man.

It's a double strike, has deceptively long horizontal range on the first kick, and stretches a long way vertically on the second kick.

It can combo into itself, it leads into Star K.O.s, and can be used as a surprise get up attack from the ledge by dropping down and DJing for example.

Spam it whenever possible, it will never really get K.O.s unless at high %ages and/or done close to the ceiling blastzone.

It's too good for every single fact to be mentioned all in one post, somebody else cover my hide.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
It's a good juggle move, keeps your opponent in the air. Gotta love the disjointedness of this move. This move will save your blue butt in a lot of situations.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Yeah, I don't expect to KO with U-air, so I use it for juggling. It's a good move. Good range, comes out fast, and the hitbox is pretty disjointed. U-air juggles are too good.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
As it's so dijointed, coupled with good reading, you can pull some fun juggles. Try to read opponents though. Idk how many stocks i've lost going for the ultra-smexy star KO, but just wanting it to hit, and getting star KOed myself. Kirby, ROB, Snake in particular. Im finding SH Uair/retreating sexy up close, with proper fastfall

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
As it's so dijointed, coupled with good reading, you can pull some fun juggles. Try to read opponents though. Idk how many stocks i've lost going for the ultra-smexy star KO, but just wanting it to hit, and getting star KOed myself. Kirby, ROB, Snake in particular. Im finding SH Uair/retreating sexy up close, with proper fastfall
Yeah, Sonic mains can't let Uair get predictable. Everyone assumes that when Sonic's in the air he will Uair, or go for a spring Uair kill.

Of course it's fun to spam that, then do something totally different, like I'unno, a delayed bair.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
**** that. U-throw spring B-air all day <3 Or if I'm playing Tenki, U-throw spring F-air star ko <3 Sorry Tenki. But it's still funny.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@cama
or a spring past down air...

SH up air can be used to punish tall characters OoS, i do it to D3 alot, its sexy

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
obviously the star KO is useful for u-air, but that isn't easy to perform, and it becomes somewhat predicatable.

U-air itself though is nice for racking up damage after a spin dash combo, and it's just got nice range overall.

I like to spam f-air alot while short hopping on the ground but then I'll whip out a delayed u-air when my opponent suspects f-air and then combo into star KO.

too good.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm not at my Wii.... does a SHFF'd Uair have landing lag, or does it just look like it has landing lag? There's that weird "lull I'm a dizzy upside-down helicopter sonic cuz i landed on ma head" animation lol but can you just shield or jab to get out of that?

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure you have to sit through the small head bounce animation. I could be wrong though.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
u land on ur head.

i think the lag is quicker than it seems like it should be though, but there's lag.

infomon

Smash Scientist
OK cool, thanks :)

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umRUtj5fUEk
1:25 is what it lookslike to properly FF a SH up air
god, i sucked back than :S my spacing is terribad
also 3:10 is sexy
What the heck is that at 3:10? Also, these vids are neat, do you have any recent ones?

I dunno why but I made some notes on this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pSfM23uUnQ

0:29 - 0:31 great Uair juggling, a great demo of the lagless SHFF Uair.
1:03 - 1:09 laser failsauce :(
2:00 shielded Bair to jabcombo = nice
2:06 best klaptrap combo ever
3:51 - 3:56 lolzy JungleJapes wall-jump, I love when that happens although it only happens to me by accident
4:21 wow, Up-smash KO'ing off the side is epic!
4:44 side-B travelling under platforms of JJ, I'll have to practice doing that

Tenki

Smash Hero
SH non fastfall U-airs have like, 1-2 frames of lag, while your fastfall ones have like 4 frames or something of lag.

It gets noticeable when you try to string moves together.

btw, SH delayed U-air (lagless)>U-tilt is really cool looking.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Tenki, you're just talking about landing lag then, FF landing lag vs. non-fastfall landing lag, the Uair is irrelevant, right? Just clarifying...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Tenki, you're just talking about landing lag then, FF landing lag vs. non-fastfall landing lag, the Uair is irrelevant, right? Just clarifying...
yeah, normal sh landing lag vs ff landing lag.

non-fastfalls let you attack/shield/whatever earlier. Sometimes it matters lol.

However, it's interesting to note that although F-air comes out and ends the fastest, you have more 'dead time' after F-air. U-air finishes almost as soon as the hitbox goes away, so it makes it better for chaining attacks.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
at infzy's notes
up smash killing off the sides is epic...lol
god i was so bad than, i didnt think too much while i played, thats why i walked into so much stupid crap.

about the going under the stage think,
honestly ive been doing that on almost every stage in tourney matches since like, a month after the game came out, no joke, its a legit part of my game.
ive been trying to think of a name for it
KID kinevaling
whacha think?

and if you find my set against daywalker, the one on lylat, that show some epic shielded back air KIDgames. its beast.

infomon

Smash Scientist
about the going under the stage think,
honestly ive been doing that on almost every stage in tourney matches since like, a month after the game came out, no joke, its a legit part of my game.
ive been trying to think of a name for it
KID kinevaling
whacha think?
Oh, going under stages for sure is awesome + useful, I sometimes even travel under + across FD during actual battles LOL (although that's risky as heck since they can usually just edgehog if you don't get it perfect lol).... if my area allowed Corneria I'd practice going under it too, it's hella hard :) But doing it under JJ isn't something I've really tried to do, I'm always too scared of water/klaptraps ;)

But what's really epic is Battlefield mindgames.... I love doing this: side-B under, jump + wall-jump off the crystal-thing at the very bottom, you have lots of float-time to up-B however you like back onto the stage without worry... and what it means is that if you side-B under the stage, there's a safe way to get back onto either side of Battlefield, so you can see which way they're gonna chase you, and just recover on the other side lol :)

I don't like the name KID kinevaling, sorry :p

Tenki

Smash Hero
back to u-air.

I kinda took the idea from a Zelda who did an epic ILIGHTYOURFOOTONFIRE kill on Final D.

You can poke through thin ceilings with U-air. it's cool.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yup

infzy, if you dont like it think of something better.
it has to include KID or Goggles...
and either way ive basically perfected doing it on every possible stage
GGs and corneria require using the homing stall to to it completely

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Looll, once I spring uaired someone, he DId to get out of it, end ended up being side KOd. Hahaha.

Uair is to good. More people should use SH Uairs frm the ground. At all times Uairs hitbox reaches significantly past its animation, even in the horizontal hit I'm quite sure. As tenki said, Uair has like no "dead" time. So it rocks. Its overall Sonics most dijointed move. I still don't know a dair that beats it out at max range, possible exceptions being D3s Dair, and Lucarios, although I'm quite sure I've gotten it to beat both. Either way, its still too good.

AS Tenki mentioned, single hit Uair into utilit looks too awesome.

If you have an opponent waiting to grab release you, Just Uair as you up the edge. The first hit really has surprising horizontal range, and good vertical range too. Enough so that if your opponent doesnt both have a super long range grabbed and isnt positioned pefectly to not expose his/her hurtbox, then Uair will beat out the grab. Yea, grabs beat out attacks, but that doesn't matter if the grab doesnt touch the Hurbox, and Uair totally prevents that. Ledgedropping into midair jump>uair is very safe too.

Personally, this is my fav of Sonics Aerials, as it probably shows XD. But it really is too good. Again, SH Uairing to hit opponents at your sides is good. It has more disjointed range than fair, and is way quicker than Bair, so use it. It doesn't exactly do a ton of damage, but its still awesome

Top Bottom