• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Tenki

Smash Hero
arghh

i call the SDR>HA the wifi combo.

because it's so easy to land on wifi and it bothers me so much to get hit by it online lol. oh, and like, every sonic player online uses it.

it's so annoying :/

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Homing Attack is the mixup attack I pull off once or twice an entire set, just to throw the opponent off center.

Never to be depended on, but always a "Mess with the opponent's mind* attack.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
HA pwns for off-stage KOing D3... and floaty characters and/or large characters with alot of jumps in general...

And spamming HA against tornado spammers is awesome haha.

And lulz at wifi combos.

Its also great after an ASC at high percentages, since ASC sets them up perfectly for an HA hit. its awesome offstage.

Man, If there were hitstun, and HA had a slightly quicker release, HA combos for the win =P.

HA give you back yours second jump if you bounce off the ground with it, as has been said.

The most important thing note about HA tracking/hitting mechanics is that it always tracks the back half of your opponent.

If you are above your opponent, it is best used when your opponent is moving away from you.

If you are below your opponent, it is best used when your opponent is moving towards you. This is why it is so effective offstage, especially if you opponent is trying to recover from above. He or she will naturally be DIing towards the stage, and consequently towards you, making HA very easy to land. If he or she is recovering from below, then you should actually try move slightly past your opponent before usng the HA, if you wanna go for the gimp.

EDIT:

Looll, I just remembered how many times Wes used HA to gimp at the tourney from what I saw. Double Fairs offstage into Homing Attack = Too good haha,

infomon

Smash Scientist
Looll, I just remembered how many times Wes used HA to gimp at the tourney from what I saw. Double Fairs offstage into Homing Attack = Too good haha,
Yep, just make sure you turnaround-B the HA, because you've already used your 2nd jump; otherwise if they dodge (or die early lol), you might be doomed!

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
i find that the HA is best used sparingly. Granted you can control when it releases but its still high risk since if you miss, its going to suck.

Hell if they block the **** thing its gonna suck *** because they have enough time to jump and uair you up your spiny tuckus.

The priority is also poor on the move.
The move is very useful against grounded characters (Wolf and Olimar) but still carries the risk of being punished. So it is best to use the HA as a finisher or, for edge guarding opponents who recover from high up. (ROB loves the HA's as does Peach and DDD).

Specs wise.
Low priority.
Somewhat slow in startup.
*** load of lag if you land after you use it (seriously i feel from above SH height and still lagged)
The move has massive range. It targets up to half of FD.
It targets the opponents back so its good for punishing and chasing since well, the opponent will try moving away. (most can just Nair you though :( )
best way to finish steak combo.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Lulz at wifi combos.

Man, If there were hitstun, and HA had a slightly quicker release, HA combos for the win =P.
The sad thing is, I HAVE comboed my HAs into more HAs sometimes. The opponents should find it insulting if they get 20+% from just HA strings alone. Oh my God I wish I had videos of myself donig that, I am guessing some of you out there reading this find it hard to believe.

The internet is serious business, and I'm not lying when I say I have landed these self-proclaimed "Man-Hunter" combos.

It's a medium-high risk for a reward depending on the situation, the worst it can just it trade hits, and if not that, it can score gimp K.O.s and offstage K.O.s, like how some Falcon will Up-B (I call it Falcon Hump) offstage to push their opponents further into the blastzone.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
The sad thing is, I HAVE comboed my HAs into more HAs sometimes. The opponents should find it insulting if they get 20+% from just HA strings alone. Oh my God I wish I had videos of myself donig that, I am guessing some of you out there reading this find it hard to believe.

The internet is serious business, and I'm not lying when I say I have landed these self-proclaimed "Man-Hunter" combos.

It's a medium-high risk for a reward depending on the situation, the worst it can just it trade hits, and if not that, it can score gimp K.O.s and offstage K.O.s, like how some Falcon will Up-B (I call it Falcon Hump) offstage to push their opponents further into the blastzone.
Lolll, same here! I usually spam HA against spammy MKs, as I said. It really just destroys nado, lulz. Very useful against 3+ jump characters as well when they recover.

HA travels even quicker than Sonics runing speed, would just like to point that out. I dunno why I love it so much. I just do, lulz. but mann... if we had SA2 HA... OMG.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Oh **** lol.
I did the write up for Homing Attack 2 days ago and did some updating yesterday, but forgot to mention it xD

Ehh..It's time for Spincharge now. Should we include ASC in this too? Personally, I feel it deserves a seperate discussion, but...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
running around in circles and than jumping of the edge works too...

its basically how the entire sonic MK match works...

Napilopez

Smash Lord
I think there are still some stuff that can be discussed here, as the other thread is more focused on mechanics than anything. Yea, it has appiications and stuff too, but I think we can point out some useful stuff here.

Well, in general ASC fails against disjointed hitboxes, so like, most aerials lolz. I'm not exactly sure how it works aganst ground moves though.

DownB: It goes directly into an SDR, which is quicker than his run when fully charged. It works well against grounded moves: it will follow the 10% rule to clang with anything on the round. However, it fails against aerials because it really isn't disjointed. I'm not totally sure how the interaction between a grounded DownB and an aerial works however.

it combos into SDJ, which has set knockback, which is useful if you want to rack on damage at higher percentages, as it becomes harder wit ASC now that your opponent is flying so far.

Blah blah too lazy to write more =P

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I heard ASC is good for edge guarding too.

All in favour of just using Tenki's 'Side/Down B Mechanics Thread' for Spin Charge and Spin Dash and me being lazy?

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I heard ASC is good for edge guarding too.

All in favour of just using Tenki's 'Side/Down B Mechanics Thread' for Spin Charge and Spin Dash and me being lazy?

:093:
lol, that makes sense.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
ASC is terrible for edgeguarding, it hits ppl straight up, which makes it easier to get back to the stage.
But it also sets up for aerials, which makes them die. Or, it setups for a homing attack that is much too easy to land.

it would be so **** if it did though
Man, you know what would be too good? If SideB had instant release. We could abuse invincibility frames too much, and jablock would be happening like all the time.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
honestly, from what ive been seeing lately (magnums vid, and 3000 vids) jablocks SHOULD be happening all the time.

i cant believe i didnt think of it before...

SDR-- SRJ-- facejump-- spring-- down air-- jab lock
ASC-- facejump-- jablock

based on this, i can say that theoretically, a perfect player should be able to combo any rolling attack into a jablock

people...
this is big...

we need to put all of our effort and testing into this...

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You're onto sumthin' KID!

The only set-up I really know of is side-B hop > FSJ > Spring > Dair > Lock

Terios the Hedgehog

Smash Hero
We had a thread on it but no one seemed to be able to pull it off consistently.

Spring rocks. It can actually stop ledgestallers. Not even Falco can do that effectively.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Spring is too good. I honestly never realized you could double jump after jumping on a grounded spring(having touched ground first though), and use that to chain aerials. Awesome

Spring is too good.

It virtually removes the threat of anyone charging smash attacks below you if you haven't used it yet. It destroys shuttle loops, interrupts Nados. Gives you invincibility frames for a full hops height which can come so much in handy, you can attack out of it and airdodge from it. it doesn't sweetspot the ledge but this should rarely be a problem, as you can just footstool jump your opponent. If for some extremely rare reason you are sent too low by a spike to recover safely normally, on FD at least you can use wall jump to recover.

Remember using an aerial as soon as possible gives you slightly more distance for recovery.

You can be grab released to your doom, but this should noootttt be a problem, just Uair as you approach your opponent trying to grab you, its disjointed enough that they will not be able to grab you, and isntead will get hit.

lalalala.

Sonic looks umm.... too happy when he uses the spring.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Spring is soooooooooooo useful. :)
I just love it, like how Magnum used it to stagespike people, lol.
:D I also love the way you can use it to escape from danger and how you can use d-air afterwards without lag. It's like, the d-air canceller. :)
Gotta love the ability to turn around too. :) B-air set ups, yay, lol.
Oh, and Footstool->Spring right? lol. :O

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
did everyone forget the magic combo that only spring can do?

spring is it's own combo, just spring someone off the stage and you win

kills so many people just because they don't expect it.

It's my godsend.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I love when stage transitions cause a grounded spring to fall as a projectile, LOL... this happens in Magnum's combo vid :bee: too good.

Tonight I escaped out of would-be Falco chaingrabs with Spring, that's always fun. And I made my first intentional uses of springing as an anti-air strategy; dodges their attack and they don't expect to be suddenly in the air where I hit them :laugh:

I still can't figure out that spring ledge-cancel thing, want vid for that lulz.

Top Bottom