• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

SothE700k

Smash Lord
It's backwards.

For most characters, less than 30% will be jablockmode, and higher will send them into that weird 'hitstun slide' like after Dedede's D-throw.

F-throw is Sonic's fastest throw. DI mixups, it's nice. I believe if your opponent DIs towards you and you F-throw, it sends about as high as U-throw would have if your opponent had 20% less damage (I'm not sure of the 'exact' or better approximations, but I think that's what it was like). So if you U-throw at 90%, then a F-throw at 110% would send just as high if your opponent DI's towards you.
Yes, but that's just assuming they'll DI towards you. The hitstun sucks on it so a smart player would DI away from you and swipe at you if you they must.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
No but tenki meant that as a DI mixup. Like if theyre used to you using Uthrows for finishers, they might DI towards you, and if you instead use an fthrow, theyll be right in position for you to kill.

Anyways, fthrow is awesome in luigis mantion and other stages with ceilings, since its so quick. As I saw from anther's vids, try it on the PS1 windmill XD.

Tenki

Smash Hero
The hitstun sucks on it so a smart player would DI away from you and swipe at you if you they must.
If they DI away, aren't they sent further in the first place, so they'd be out of range to try to 'swipe at you'?

...?

I forgot it if was SonicMaster5 or speedingsonic, but I played one of them and if I DI'd away, they followed up with a DAC. It was pretty cool.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I dunno, f-throw is nothing special, I just use it to mixup sometimes.

also I love how it looks.

give em a boot to the face.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
If they DI away, aren't they sent further in the first place, so they'd be out of range to try to 'swipe at you'?

...?

I forgot it if was SonicMaster5 or speedingsonic, but I played one of them and if I DI'd away, they followed up with a DAC. It was pretty cool.
Ok admitting, now it was my turn to assume. I've usually seen Sonics just go straight after them after the f-throw, and then they DI away and punished them.

Hmm...well that's interesting, haven't heard of that before. Oh well, live and learn.

Still though, there's so many better options than the f-throw...

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
ok Admitting, Now It Was My Turn To Assume. I've Usually Seen Sonics Just Go Straight After Them After The F-throw, And Then They Di Away And Punished Them.

Hmm...well That's Interesting, Haven't Heard Of That Before. Oh Well, Live And Learn.

Still Though, There's So Many Better Options Than The F-throw...
Live And Learn, Sonic Boards, Ohhohohohohoho...

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ok admitting, now it was my turn to assume. I've usually seen Sonics just go straight after them after the f-throw, and then they DI away and punished them.
Oh.

Well, depending on the character (like, if it's a character with a single-strike aerial), you can run with the intent of shielding/p-shielding the aerial and getting a free grab.

Also, if they DI towards you, you can try faking them into airdodging by charging a side-B, then cancelling it into a grab. You can even try to condition them into it by doing a VSDJ out of a U-throw/F-throw.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm not writing much for any of the throws really. After b/fthrow this topic should actually get interesting once we bring the "what moves to use against opponents specific playstyles" side of things in.

Anyway, bthrow, this should only take a day or two to do. Start now.

Boxthrowing from this is amazing.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
b throw is pretty good. on heavyweights you can set up for a pivot grab on them. Its rather fun.
unfortunately its applicatons are not as good as the Uthrow and D throw but better than the Fthrow since you can send someone off the edge easily.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Only works if the opponent doesn't DI/attack you.
And with that, I'm off to bed.

I've got updates to do tomorrow for Jab, Homo Attack, and Spring. I really feel the need to re-do ftilt as well, but I honestly can't think of much to write about it. It just looks..skimpy, and it's really annoying me.

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I'll try to get it.

I'll get it when I make SM5's sig.

Oh, that might take longer than expected SM, sorry...

:093:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
the boxthrow kills at 130 - 150% when facing away from the ledge depending on weight and DI. Nice alternative, though kinda situational kill, especially if you pivot it.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
b-throw is my favourite throw, I use it all the time since I'm an air/edge player with sonic. It's excellent for getting the opponent off the stage.

here's the pic you requested ROOOOY!

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Aside from side stage KOs at very large percentages, I think it's the worst of the 4 throws even though I use it more than fthrow.

Rooooy! : at some point we should try and work on updating the Sonic guide with good stuff generated from this thread. Sound good?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
dNES, yeah once this is all done we can look to where this can all be put so it's actually useful. I've only got one more write-up to do after bthrow, and then it's the whole opponents character kinda thing.

I'm thinking the best way to do that is for me to dive into a character board (whichever character we're looking at) and look at the most commonly used moves depending on their playstyle. For example, I was looking at a Mario guide and it was saying what moves are used by aerial Marios, grounded Marios etc, and from there we talk about what moves/playstyles of our own to counter it. For example, an aerial Mario we'd be playing defensively and mostly grounded, using Sonic's main anti-air moves (in utilt and usmash, mostly) and talk a little bit about what outprioritizes what, what to do in certain situations, and that kinda thing.

And yeah, I'm going to format this a little better and make it prettier and not so "omfg wall of texty".

So yeah, bthrow. When I think about it, it's not actually good for much, much like fthrow it's a door for many options, as long as you're getting them offstage with it so you can use Sonic's great offstage game.

Anyone got anything else to add? I'll do the write-up tomorrow night, I'm too tired right now.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Aside from side stage KOs at very large percentages, I think it's the worst of the 4 throws even though I use it more than fthrow.

Rooooy! : at some point we should try and work on updating the Sonic guide with good stuff generated from this thread. Sound good?
Well, B-throw has one thing in its favor above the other throws:

horizontal trajectory/medium knockback.

That said, it's nice for messing with placement or if you like playing edge games with people.

edit:
lol how about that- each of his throws has utility.

D-throw for level pressure if they mess up DI, and once in a while, gimp setup/kill move (lol D-throw spike)
F-throw for DI trap/counter setup/damage/speed
U-throw for kill setups/damage/"kill move" lol
B-throw for placement control/possible kill move with bad DI near the edge of the stage.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Am I too late for Boxthrows?

Alright cool, now while B-Throw and F-Throw can be debated on by how bad they are, I still kind of think that B-Throws have more uses or whatever.

For one thing, B-Throw will actually get them OFFSTAGE if you send them that way with it, and can set them right up for some things, like a Boxobair or a Fair, Hell maybe even a pseudo-spike with Dair, sending them even further away from the ledge.

Again, unlike F-Throw, B-Throw can actually kill (though it really shouldn't, if not you really do need to work on something else besides this...)

There's that, the stuff that's already mentioned, and then it just looks cool, if only Sonic could do like what Kirby could do with his throws in Melee and take the opponent offstage with him.

Too good. :090:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Kirby's back and forward throw sucked in Melee.

You could break out of them without even trying, usually resulting in...
Kirby "LOLSUICIDETHROW!"
Other "no u."
Kirby "WTFHAX?!"
*BOOM*
Other "lol"

It seems like Bthrow is covered, I have nothing else to contribute. I just wanted to correct Kinzer, lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Bthrow gets totally ruined if they know how to DI. It just becomes an Fthrow that does 1% less damage and puts them behind you where it's harder to follow-up. But yeah at least it can get them off-stage, which can reduce their options or setup for a gimp......... but most likely, they won't know to DI it anyway so it can be quite good sometimes lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kirby's back and forward throw sucked in Melee.

You could break out of them without even trying, usually resulting in...
Kirby "LOLSUICIDETHROW!"
Other "no u."
Kirby "WTFHAX?!"
*BOOM*
Other "lol"

It seems like Bthrow is covered, I have nothing else to contribute. I just wanted to correct Kinzer, lol.

But it was so cool when you could do it, and I think the higher up in %age they were in, the harder it would've been to break out of it.

Bthrow gets totally ruined if they know how to DI. It just becomes an Fthrow that does 1% less damage and puts them behind you where it's harder to follow-up. But yeah at least it can get them off-stage, which can reduce their options or setup for a gimp......... but most likely, they won't know to DI it anyway so it can be quite good sometimes lol.
For personal knowledge, how DO YOU DI Sonic's B-Throw?

:090:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Bthrow gets totally ruined if they know how to DI
but most likely, they won't know to DI it anyway so it can be quite good sometimes lol.
But you know, the general rule is to hold up when Sonic throws you, except for U-throw, in which case you hold towards Sonic until you start flying lol.

It screws up almost all the throw options, except for F-throw, because noone really knows what to do about that one because it almost never happens lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
*shrug* just hold up+towards the stage. You can't go wrong, except with Fthrow which won't kill you anyway, you just want to avoid being combo'd. >.>

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Dudess... chaining bthrows is like the funnest thing ever. Its probably my second most used throw, after dthrow(I need to work on using Uthrow for something other than killing XD). On spacies and heavy weights at low to mid percents, its just lolz.

Of course, opponents can DI it, like they can DI anything. I still dont mind it much. Often when they DI it, I'll do a malcom style run past them, turnaround and grab them again. It just chains really well, and I'm prtty good at persuing my opponents if they chose to DI into the air. But yea. I just wish it did more damage.

P.S.

I Think some throws should do damage based on what they look like. For example, Sonic's Dthrow looks extremely painful, it shud do like 13 damage or something. Same about Charizards Dthrow(I think its dthrow...), I mean, he slowly flame roasts his opponent for petes sake! O.o

Anyways, I love bthrow, just for chases. Opponents don't usually DI it. Once they figure the DI out, you should mix it up anyways.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Of course, opponents can DI it, like they can DI anything. I still dont mind it much. Often when they DI it, I'll do a malcom style run past them, turnaround and grab them again. It just chains really well, and I'm prtty good at persuing my opponents if they chose to DI into the air. But yea. I just wish it did more damage.

P.S.

I Think some throws should do damage based on what they look like. For example, Sonic's Dthrow looks extremely painful, it shud do like 13 damage or something. Same about Charizards Dthrow(I think its dthrow...), I mean, he slowly flame roasts his opponent for pete's Steak! O.o
What about a reverse-Boxobair, you know likewhen you Box-Throw your opponent that way, and then you run past them but instead of grabbing them you just Boxobair them?

Is a true-combo.

:090:

Anyway it is Zard's D-Throw, his F/B-Throw just toss the opponents away like a ragdoll, and I never have seen U-Throw to this day.

Also kudos to you i you can see my fix in your quote.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
There wasn't much to talk about on bthrow. Suggest things for me to add to anything people, and I'll do it.

Last one now, then we can start the interesting discussion.

Up throw.
Absolutely *****. Easy one of the best up throws in the game, probably only bested by Olimar.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Back throw puts people in a nasty position the majority of the time - facing backwards to their opponent and normally near the stage boundries.

Up Throw is a great move. Forces people to be high in the air generally when they don't want to be...it's also very good as a starting to move because you can normally tie it in with an Up Smash/Uair afterwards

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Uthrow. It's probably my favorite move :D

One of my favorite things to do at the beginning of a match is Uthrow, SideB cancel to bait my opponent into airdodging (desired reaction), and regrabbing them upon landing. Also, as Rick stated, Uthrow to Usmash is too good.

At higher percentages, It's great for getting opponents in the air and following up with either a Bair or Uair (sometimes Fair).

At REALLY high percentages, it's a kill move!

I believe the move does a total 12% damage.

Top Bottom