• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
lol, nice sig Kinzer.

:093:

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
ಠ_ಠ

best face ever.

I suppose that the best was to approach Mario is to rely on your ground speed, and your ability to quickly change direction, especailly when the mario is trying the aerial approach. If needed, Spin shot to reset spacing. I think that once he starts chasing you, then you got a better chance. You can blow through fire balls, so you can in theory fair through them as he does it, and if you anticipate it all the better. i don't generally feel that I am pressured into a mistake when approaching a mario, because I am faster on the ground, and with the spin shot, faster in the air. at this point Mario is just trying to read your movements and guess with aerials and smashes. GUESS. The way I play vs mario: be patient, use tilts, and punish fireball spam.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nop, that's only doable with the Wiichuck.

Though I have picked up on the Gamecube controller now, so only reason I'm still using the Wiimote is for teh lulz, but I promise you next tourney I go to, I'll tell you all about my experiences with the GC controller.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
Nop, that's only doable with the Wiichuck.

Though I have picked up on the Gamecube controller now, so only reason I'm still using the Wiimote is for teh lulz, but I promise you next tourney I go to, I'll tell you all about my experiences with the GC controller.
I can hardly wait, lol.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire thread.

Sonic's utilt and usmash both destroy Mario's dair. Sonic's utilt can also outprioritize Mario's nair if timed correctly.

When your shield is small, his jab can get rid of Mario's fireballs. His utilt is good for getting rid of the ones Mario shoots from the air.

I did all of the experimenting on training mode.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Fireballs are rather easy to avoid, and we know about the UTilt/USmash's insane priority, but thanks anyway.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Umm thats been known for months actually XD.
He was presenting it with other strategies I think.
lol, sip some more haterade pls, i hear its on sale down at aldi, 2 gallons for free.99

actually nobody had ever said anything about specifically using iDAs with sonic, much less doing it out of shield

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
< (does not explore boards too much)

Most of the "discoveries" that kid has made, Sonic users have been doing for a good amount of time before he made his topic.

For example the instant dash attack was discovered a little before the DAC and its application were general for all the characters. So no one went into great detail about using it OOS.

Just explore every now and then so you don't get surprised when facing someone.

JOE!

Smash Hero
whats up with the homing attack hate?

if spaced right it does decent KB, great for recovery/gimping

and it makes such a silly punisher for Usmashes (jump over opponent, they Usmash, you;re rising out of Usmash's reach due to Homing, ht the opponent)

also, using it out of a spin attack usually hits

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
A lot of Sonic players are discouraged by the moderate start-up and the potential huge ending lag, even then it is still an easily punished move.

I'll say HA is very situational, but it has it's uses, and I personally feel HA as a "throw it in there every so often" move.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Kinzer is right, although I still think Sonic's use homing attack too little. The fact is that its a "long range" move that willl hit 90% of the time if you're using it right. Its not to be used as a truly offensive move but rather as a punisher and to bait attacks. Also great mindgames ensue when you use homing attack after multiple Nairs. The one time its truly offensive is as a followup for offstage KOs(especially broken in brawl+ I hear =P)

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Word of caution - People can, in fact, grab the ftilt. What has to happen is they have to grab either right as the hitbox reaches them, or use the grab super-armor to absorb the hit, leaving you helpless in their arms. This can be done with virtually every move in the game, and makes almost everything unsafe. It's somewhat difficult, especially given how little we know about hitboxes, but still feasible.

tl;dr - You can be grabbed out of almost anything from any range. Don't be predictable.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I noticed that too. I've been able to grab/get grabbed out of attacks if they extend a hitbox. It's like frame perfect though.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Isn't that only if they are close and shield through the entire FTilt assuming it doesn't shieldpoke?

Sonic's leg are like a phantom hitbox/hurtbox, that would explain the sheer disjointedness of Uair.

It's understandable though, it's only natural Sonic can make his legs do amazing things.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
i cant seem to hit my sidesmash any tips???
Maybe you're getting to predictable with your usage of it?

I know if I can't seem to get a kill, I run behind them and do a turn around Fsmash (sidesmash).

It works way too easily than it should >_>

Works best though on characters who don't have fast projectiles to stop you from running behind them.

The logic behind it is that when you run directly at them, the expect you to attack and put up a shield. When they notice you ran right past them, they let go of their shield, but you already started up the Sawnik Pawnch by then and you get a free Fsmash :p

Don't spam it though, or they'll start to see it coming. Use it wisely...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Nothing.

Tomorrow, as I've asked DJ's permission already, I'm sticking hitbox pictures in this thread, and sprucing it up in general. I just want to make it prettier as it's a mess right now.

I'm going to add videos too, like Infzy's "Usmash has invincibility frames" video, if that's alright with him.

I didn't bump this thread, it could've died, but while it's in the archives I may as well make it presentable.

Though if anyone wants to read few things and state things that are flat out wrong (chances are there will be misteaks, I did the majority of these either whilst distracted and doing something else, or in the early hours of the morning) or suggest things to add to it, that'd be cool.

I'm going to do dthrow tomorrow too, along with the recent findings for it. Hopefully, if we get some testers, we can see how many frames that each character has to react after teching the dthrow at say 0%, going in incriments of 20% up to about 120% or something? A lot of work, I know, but it's important that we know when it's safe to start dthrowing certain characters.

Don't worry about grammar/spelling mistakes, or things not making sense, as I'm more or less re-writing the write-ups and putting them in different contexts.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Hmm...?

What happened to the idea of getting us to find counters against specific moves of different character's with Sonic's moveset?

Oh well, it's not as if it is really necessary, as this thread has already served its main purpose.

As for D-Throw, I really think we have little to worry about, we would be better off keeping that tech on the DL. If it happens to us midmatch, we should be smart enough to know how to mindf*** the opponent to stop trying to tech it.

D-Throw is still useable, we should only let the Sonic haters worry about it.

I'm also ure Infzy would not mind you putting up his vid, just as long as you don't go on to say you did it yourself. Whiel we're on teh subject of USmash, you could add this bit to it:

"You cannot be punished during the move's execution, you can only get hit out of it before you release the charge, and after the move finishes"

Seriously, if you use USmash when it will hit, they can't retaliate. All they can do is just shield through the whole thing and go from there. USmash is incredibly safe to use when it connects.

You should probably also add the moveset tier list from the other thread.

:091:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
The thing about Usmash is that if they DO shield all the hits, they get a free grab >_>

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
But usually, with characters with an average shield, if it's damaged even slightly before you usmash, the usmash will probably eat the shield and still get a few hits on the opponent, too.

:roymelee:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
True, but I've already been screwed over a few times because of it...

:roymelee:

That's so cool.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Usually, they don't shield the whole thing because they don't know when exactly it ends. Even if they do hold the shield , the shield might've been weakened. It pokes, you know.

Edit: I'm too slow.

:091:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
If the person you're playing has at least played Sonic once...they know to shield the whole thing.

It does occasionaly shield poke, but not all the time. Just sayin...no shield poke...free grab...

:roymelee: is our boi.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm going to add videos too, like Infzy's "Usmash has invincibility frames" video, if that's alright with him.
Why of course.

I'm going to do dthrow tomorrow too, along with the recent findings for it. Hopefully, if we get some testers, we can see how many frames that each character has to react after teching the dthrow at say 0%, going in incriments of 20% up to about 120% or something? A lot of work, I know, but it's important that we know when it's safe to start dthrowing certain characters.
That sounds good IMO.

And my up-smashes almost always get shielded (fully) and punished. The invincy frames are very few (not long enough for a Fox blaster shot to pass through!), but I've noticed them help me out now and then, particularly if someone is descending with an aerial. Not something to rely on though...... although with tons of practice, perhaps....

Top Bottom