• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Browny

Smash Hater
ASASFDFAS

I cant stop using dash grabs instead of running shield grabs, and i always get punished for it. Do people here have any special button config for shields? Using the l button is failing dismally for me, I had it set to X since i bought brawl but i just cant ever remember to do it in time theres gotta be an easier way >_<

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
ASASFDFAS

I cant stop using dash grabs instead of running shield grabs, and i always get punished for it. Do people here have any special button config for shields? Using the l button is failing dismally for me, I had it set to X since i bought brawl but i just cant ever remember to do it in time theres gotta be an easier way >_<
I just use z for my grabs.

and maybe you're being too grab-happy?

the safest time to try for a grab is after the opponent uses a laggy move, during their recovery lag, or if they miss you with an attack and end up close to you.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Browny, I once switched around my whole configuration. I put R as Specials and B as shield button. However specials are too important for Sonic, I couldn't get used to it. However, shield on a button instead of a trigger helps you a lot.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
A good alternative is to learn how to manage with tap jump on, especially since you don't need to worry about up-tilts much, and up+B out of shield can be useful given the invincibility (and accidental spring mindgames, ^o^).

If you do that, you can just disregard the jump button and move it to Y instead of X, which is now your new shield button.

Granted, having X for jump seems pretty important to Sonic, since jumping out of your spin dashes and stuff is really important for him, but if the Control Stick is good enough, it's good enough.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Actually, you can jump out of spindash stuff by tapping up, even with tap-jump off :psycho:

Don't ask me why. Oh and I don't think that's true of aerial spindashes, but w/e.

Edit: up-B OoS seems like it should be useful for Sonic, but it's not something I've incorporated into my game yet. Thanks for bringing it up :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
up-B out of run and shield were really common when I had tap jump on.

I think I may have even overabused that move back then.

I did alot better on BF after I turned it off, lol.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
is there any uses for vertcial spin dash jump???
VSDJ has a hitbox on launch, and it goes about as high as a full jump if not higher... so just think of it as a safer jump method if you will (though I doubt the hitbox sticks after you jump off, but I could be wrong.

holy crap, half the sonic board's population got banned...

fill me in??
Continuing from this question, can somebody link me the origin of this idea? I've been gone for a while and I missed a lot (unless it's in the SBR, I'll catch up by reading that and I'll join on the ban-wagon). I would also like to know why the person who started this, is doing it (unless it's or teh lulz).

Also you guys tricked poor Mmac with this, I wonder who else fell for it. LOL!

:091:

Tenki

Smash Hero
Empty Full Hop/Short Hop/(v)SDJ approach

Juuust wondering, and just so you know, this is all theorycraft -

Sweetspot N-air approach?

Now you might be thinking "lol but why?"

If it hits...
- 9-11% damage (lol really, noone uses it enough to stale it too much)
- low %'s combos into a D-tilt, F-tilt, jab.
- mid%'s > no-tech jab lock..?
- high %'s something similar to a D-throw trajectory with less lag.

Avoidance methods from opponent...
- Shield
- Roll
- Spotdodge
- Aerial/U-smash out of shield

If it's shielded...
- opponent gets a shieldgrab. awesome.

Now you're thinking "lol that sucks".

here's the thing though - N-air has little startup time (and range >_>), and little landing lag.

In other words, if you're going for a sweetspot N-air, you don't commit until you actually use it.

If someone starts doing U-smash or an aerial out of shield, you can still airdodge, but more importantly...

vs Shield?
This means if you condition someone to shield when you get in N-air range so they can grab you out of shield, you can...
- double jump (maybe even dj>counter D-air)
- fastfall and grab
- spotdodge
- spring
- homing attack
- N-air to land behind opponent (beware reverse grabs out of shield, but against people who are trigger happy, this will usually give you a missed grab to punish)

Notice that most of those don't require you to actually use N-air. N-air is just a move to condition them for it.

And if you N-air (or just fastfall) and they roll/spotdodge? You can still punish it.

+awesome.

PS- the only real way to screw this up is if the opponent walks away, lol.

Tenki

Smash Hero
the point of it was that N-air's not the real approach.

it's a trap.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The trap only works on people who think Sonic has N-air. Basicly, they would have to read this to know what the N-air COULD do. When they read it, they know it's a trap. It's NOT a trap, Tenki.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I use it a lot against Lolimar, it's safe in that it negates things like Pikmin Throw.

I use it more as a punisher than anything else. Obviously, with little range comes little priority, so supposing your opponent doesn't go defensive and tries to swat you out of it, you're probably going to be taking damage.

Though to be honest I'm not familiar with how Grounded v Aerial priority works.

Lol I'm such a scrub.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Post title changed, because I guess the post was TL;DR.

:ohwell:

The trap only works on people who think Sonic has N-air. Basicly, they would have to read this to know what the N-air COULD do. When they read it, they know it's a trap. It's NOT a trap, Tenki.
In that case, apply what you're saying to spindash cancels - both kinds.

It's just another mixup option, but N-air works because it has decent damage output for its startup time, whereas F-air and U-air being the fastest, have minimal damage because of their multi-hits.

I use it a lot against Lolimar, it's safe in that it negates things like Pikmin Throw.

I use it more as a punisher than anything else. Obviously, with little range comes little priority, so supposing your opponent doesn't go defensive and tries to swat you out of it, you're probably going to be taking damage.

Though to be honest I'm not familiar with how Grounded v Aerial priority works.

Lol I'm such a scrub.
It might be good on Olimar because you can hit the Pikmin (projectiles) and negate their attacks. As for Ground vs Air, it all depends on who gets to the hurtbox first.

But again, the real point was that the real approach was an empty hop. N-air is just there for the once-in-a-while, and you don't really have to start it until you're in shield range, meaning you're free to do whatever escape move you please until you're actually in shield range to N-air, and even then, you don't have to N-air.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It's more than 3 frames.... I think always, although the landing lag of Nair depends on which hitbox is out when you land, or smthg like that.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Is there any reason for not doing at least a nair when landing? It has like 3 frames of landing lag right?
It's more than 3 frames.... I think always, although the landing lag of Nair depends on which hitbox is out when you land, or smthg like that.
yeah, It feels like alot more than 3 frames. Let's say it's 8 frames. You might as well have done a fastfall and grab in that time period.

I'm not sure about whether or not N-air's various landing points make a difference in landing lag. KID brought it up before.

But... we need someone to confirm this -_-'

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I'm missing acronyms I'm sure.

My mind is a little pre-occupied, feel free to post what I'm missing. Links to threads that explain them further will come when my internet stops being slow.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Cool beans, how about...

SCA - Spring Canceled Aerials

:093:

infomon

Smash Scientist
SDAP = Spin Dash Air Pivot

SCROD = Super Crazy Roll of Doom (or Death?)

I have videos of both of those but they were talked about in some threads some places.... idk too lazy to look 'em up now srry ;)

Invincible dashes also have lots of weird acronyms Tenki used: iSDR, iASC, etc.
But confusingly, KID uses iSDJ to mean "instant Spin Dash Jump", like when you go straight into an SDJ from a down-B charging. I recommend instead we call this ISDJ to distinguish it from iSDJ = invincible.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I agree with infzy.

ISDJ > iSDJ

Oh, and it's Doom.

:093:

darkNES386

Smash Lord
ROOOOY! said:
Finally, one of the most interesting things about this move is that it gives Sonic invincibility frames (i.e. he can't get hurt even when attacked.) As soon as Sonic leaves the Spring until about full hop height, Sonic is invincible. They're pretty useful for getting out of tight spots I guess. And yeah, apparently pulling this face makes you invincible, try it!
I've been experimenting a lot with using this against aerial rushing opponents that normally would be difficult to deal with (Game and watch/ Peach). I haven't seen many videos though of it being applied in tournament situations.

Additionally, I am experimenting with it more positionally like a banana or C4 item.

Obviously spam is no good and opponent's will catch on, but it just adds one more thing for them to worry about. For all I know though, it's easily punishable if you don't time it right since sonic starting the spring can't attack as soon as he/anyone else could by jumping regularly on the spring.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMV_gldmoTs

@ 0:30-0:33: Invincibility frames.

He's vulnerable for the first few frames, invincible halfway up the animation, then vulnerable again. I've actually been cypher grabbed on level by a Dedede because he grabbed me RIGHT out of my spring.

I remember having myself spring through a Tink's dair once, but I can't find where I put it. That video should suffice though.

Top Bottom