• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic's Moveset Discussion + Acronyms List

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Excellent. Cheers cat. Let the spindash Uair spam continue

Do most of you do an Up Smash after U Throwing them at 0% or do you use Uair? I've been finding that a SH Uair works better, doesn't knock them up as high, is quicker and can be followed up with another aerial at low percents

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its style dependant, if you like your ceiling kills, use it sporidiaclly

youre supposed to do the KID CG where you follow up up throws at 0% with more up throws...

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804

infomon

Smash Scientist
Up-throw > VSDJ > Bair

my favouritest combo evahr, I'm doing it so much nao. Especially since after a throw or two you can figure out how your opponent reacts, and if it's safe to do this, or just wait below them for another shieldgrab lol :)

err, that has nothing to do with Uair...

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Up-throw > VSDJ > Bair

my favouritest combo evahr, I'm doing it so much nao. Especially since after a throw or two you can figure out how your opponent reacts, and if it's safe to do this, or just wait below them for another shieldgrab lol :)

err, that has nothing to do with Uair...
LOLOL it failed on my ike's d-air.

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I think the KID combo is just awesome. And under stage traveling, um, KID teleportation? =/ Screw it, I suck with names.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
btw, if i ever get a combo video out it will be called
Child's Play: A video of KIDgames by K.I.D.

im thinking maybe the KIDdie jump...

eff it, my under the stage move is now going to be called
KIDsteaking

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
We're going into a bit of a weird realm here.
Throws. Arguably the best attribute of Sonic's game.
This is mostly going to be talking about follow-ups and positioning and stuff like that, but whatever.
Dthrow, it's good.
Go!

aeghrur

Smash Champion
D-throw=awesome techchase tool.
I love waiting for a second grab from it too since it's so easy. With the additional pummel every once in a while, it's a good move refresher. :p Awesome throw. I love using it near the edge for fast fallers too and it makes it easier to gimp, lol.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
That certain spike on a certain someone at a certain place. Too good.

lololololol
I've sadly never gotten that certain spike on a certain someone at a certain place in a real match...

It's also good to know that when your opponent gets launched and hit the floor, they can tech that so be ready to react.

@aeghrur- It's pretty awesome if your opponent always roll backwards, and you just continuously follow+grab+Dthrow.

Once they catch on though you actually have to THINK about your followup. I usually just spindash :/

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I've sadly never gotten that certain spike on a certain someone at a certain place in a real match...

It's also good to know that when your opponent gets launched and hit the floor, they can tech that so be ready to react.

@aeghrur- It's pretty awesome if your opponent always roll backwards, and you just continuously follow+grab+Dthrow.

Once they catch on though you actually have to THINK about your followup. I usually just spindash :/
I've done it. 3 times. :suess:

SothE700k

Smash Lord
D-throw is one of my personal favorite moves of Sonic
Awesome for setting up to screw with your opponent's mind. Either run and grab again, running attack, or a short hopped f-air and follow up from THERE. I know there's many more set ups than that from it though.

Browny

Smash Hater
dont try to techchase ike... his get-up attack is too good lol. pretty much everyone else is a free regreab if they dont roll away or tech the dthrow instantly :)

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Don't forget, dthrow is great to set up gimping, especially stage spikes.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I have replays against idiots that I just D-throw to D-throw all match. I <3 D-throw. I also love when they think they're going to be smart, and use a get up attack on you. GUESSWHATSONIC'SINYOURFACEJABLOCKINGYOU.

Boxob

Smash Champion
I don't like Dthrow.

It reminds be of scrubs cause it's Dthrow. DE throw. DA Throw. DA KID. See? Scrubs.

:093:

Tenki

Smash Hero
But that also puts them in above Sonic, which is usually not a good place to be.
Not really.

There's noticeable end time on the D-throw, so it usually buys them time so they can do whatever they want, whether it's double jump, airdodge, attack, fastfall (land on feet) or special.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
yeaah...I don't use D-throw that much, it doesn't give me the damage I want and is easily escaped/tech-able/low knockback.

it does look cool though.

infomon

Smash Scientist
D-throw only does 8%, whereas up-throw does 12. I guess that's only a spring of a difference, but still, if you're using D-throw it should indicate that you're confident you can punish, either by a chase or a gimp attempt. My preference is the latter, since my techchases never work out lol, they'll roll towards me or something and I'll be caught off-guard :laugh:

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Lol, I love tech chases, because of them, I can rack up like, 20-30 percent from them cuz I love shieldgrab and sonic's pummel is too good. :)

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Screw Dthrow, let's save the throws til last, work on actual moves first.
Special moves time. I'm gonna do Side B/Down B bla bla bla in a special way, so I'm going to keep it simple by starting with Homing Attack.
Please talk about this, as I know nothing about it, I don't use it because it's utter ********.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Homing attack isn't a reliable move. It's something you kinda throw into the mix to spice things up, and only if you know it's going to work. It has some bad startup lag, but fortunately we all know it can be cancelled half way through, but it's still bad. If you miss, there's a pretty ridiculous amount of ending lag. So why use the move? Well, it can be good for edguarding characters like ROB to keep him away untill he runs out of fuel. It sometimes kills at high %'s offstage. It can also be used for recovery in certain occasions. Homing attack is more of a "once in a while" move, but it should be totally overlooked.

On a funny note, I totally missed a HA, hit the floor, and the bounced save me for a smash attack and I baired in the face for the kill. Sexy.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Homing Attack. Don't use it.

The sad thing is, it works. At least for me; my opponents don't deal with HA properly. If they know the match-up, HA should almost always fail; you have to be really careful when you use it. n00bs will shield the hit (you'll often bounce away safe enough to not be punished), but they're better off rolling or spot-dodging so they can easily punish.

Never, ever, ever use HA if your opponent is close to the ground, but you're high enough above that if it misses, you'll fall into that clutching-the-ground lag. That should never happen, you just have to learn what zones of the stage are safe; so you'll happily bounce off the ground if it misses (which restores your 2nd jump btw!), or your landing will be lagless.

Bad HA: You get in the habit of sometimes breaking out of SDJ with HA as a "cool fake-out" approach. These random HA's will punish a panicked C-sticker, but your opponent has a zillion options if he expects your approach, or knows to just wait and respond.

Good HA: You're actually sure to bait a laggy attack before you charge the HA. Note that an attack has to be really laggy if you can respond with a HA. In which case, HA is useful since it kills whatever momentum you had before, so you use it when you've baited but are travelling away from your opponent.

Bad HA: You're off the side and returning to the stage, where your opponent is waiting from the ground; and your 2nd jump is gone. If you're at the height of the stage or lower, an unlocked HA will force your spring to be punishably low and close to the stage.

Good HA: A recovery option when your 2nd jump is available (so you're OK if it doesn't lock-on), and/or you're below the stage so that it will hit the stage bottom or side (FD and Yoshi's Island are good for this); so you get close to the lip with your spring available, which gives you enough options to get back safely or bait some gimp attempts.

Turnaround-B: Learn to turnaround-B the HA. It definitely helps when you have your back to the stage.

1. Opponent is on the stage, and you're trying to recover; HA towards the stage so if you miss, you're not totally doomed.

2. You're aerial-chasing opponent off the side; you'll be close enough to the opponent that they'll still be in range for a backwards HA, but if it doesn't lock then you're doomed if you didn't turnaround it.

3. You're on Yoshi's Island with those crazy walls. You can safely recover with HA here since it can happily bounce off the walls to bring you up, even without locking onto the opponent. Note that if you're right up against the wall, the HA can face away from the stage but still bounce off the wall... but you might as well turnaround it since it gives you more leeway for the wall-bounce.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I use HA to stall falls from high altitudes, recover into ceilings, or punish ground campers.

Because everyone knows Sonic can only double jump, right? Double jump fast fall, aaaan- whoop, homing attack <3

yey.

and in more detail, what she said.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Haha too many of us are too negative about the homing attack and its uses imo. Just know when and how to use it, and you should rarely even be hit out of it. I can't begin to describe how essential it is for every Sonic player to watch SonicOrochi's tutorial on the Homing attack. Youtube Lightspeed, start around 6:00 minutes. Once you know the mechanics of it, your all good.

Its not disjointed which is where its priority issue comes from, but it travels alot of distance quick, which makes up for that. Even if you trade hits with an opponent offstage as you try to go for the offstage KO/gimp, it doesnt matter so long as you hit your opponent lol. Don't forget to mix up cancelled and non-cancelled HAs.

I find it good for recovering at a steep angle from below, as a kind of surpriseish attack. Its also a great counter against peopple charging their smashes and stuff. Counter uber laggy moves with it too. Just the fact you hit your opponent with a Homing attack is insulting.

Personally, I find HA totally reliable if used at the correct angles and stuff.

Oh, and it pwns nado.

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
okay, I think homing attack is useful sometimes but disgusting when overused. It needs to be used at key moments when spacing is correct and when your opponent is unaware of it coming (which is really hard). It's also nice for gimping off the side of the stage after an ASC or an f-air chase.

my main advice is that it should be used sparingly and not spammed (I had to break the habit of using it to recover too much when I was using sonic in the beginning).

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its good after a spin dash jump, if the opponent isnt expecting it, because they will let up the shield just in time to get hit by it, tenki dubbed it the wifi combo

and if you eff up your recovery, its good to stall for a but and regain your composition

aeghrur

Smash Champion
Personally, I love HA for some reason, lol.
It's really great for a random edgeguarding move. Just SDJ->HA->Return to stage. :O It takes away their jump, and you can spring gimp them if possible, and if it's a big opponent, you can even just keep HAing until they learn to hit it, lol. But that like, never happens. Anyways, point being, if you go under then, they come toward you at good percents, hit them with an HA, knock them back, return to stage, they die. Unless they're metaknight.

Top Bottom