• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

Puddin

Smash Lord
So I was talking about how I didn't like Sonic but-UH OH MEH GAWD METRIOD PRIME 3 WAS DA **** IN A BAD WAY CUZ IT WUZ LIEK TOO COMPLICATED CUZ I HAS PARKINSONS AND CANT CONTROL MY HAND AND LIEKED DE ECHOES MUCH MORE BETTERER

Is pretty much what Firus and Chris just turned this thread into.

Somehow from Sonic to Wii Controls vs. Mouse and Keyboard.

With nary a mention of Sonic in between.

I would get this game for the Sonic levels, though I'm not sure which version has more Sonic then Werehog because that is the version I would prefer. Anybody know? Because it would be a lot easier to get the version with more Sonic levels to reduce my intake of various needle related drugs during Werehog levels.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
As far as I know, the 360/PS3 version has more Sonic levels because of Mazuri and Empire City.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
So I was talking about how I didn't like Sonic but-UH OH MEH GAWD METRIOD PRIME 3 WAS DA **** IN A BAD WAY CUZ IT WUZ LIEK TOO COMPLICATED CUZ I HAS PARKINSONS AND CANT CONTROL MY HAND AND LIEKED DE ECHOES MUCH MORE BETTERER

That discussion ended..... but thanks for showing that you have the maturity of a 5 year old.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I actually liked Echoes.... until I got to the last boss. At first I was like :bee:..... and then I was like :mad:.
I liked Echoes as well, I hold the Prime series in high regard so being the worst of the three isn't bad. I just found it to be worse than #3 -- but again, I have to replay it.

That's a lie. I tried to bring Sonic into it as much as I could, and mentioned Sonic myself a few times...

I would get this game for the Sonic levels, though I'm not sure which version has more Sonic then Werehog because that is the version I would prefer. Anybody know? Because it would be a lot easier to get the version with more Sonic levels to reduce my intake of various needle related drugs during Werehog levels.
I get the impression that the Wii version has one less level, unless I'm mistaken. And assuming that level has both nighttime and daytime stages, and nighttime stages take up more time, the Wii version would have a better ratio of daytime : nighttime stages, whilst the other versions would have more daytime stages.

Puddin

Smash Lord
That discussion ended..... but thanks for showing that you have the maturity of a 5 year old.
The last time Sonic had ANYTHING to do with Metriod was never. Thus it should have never been brought into a "Sonic Unleashed" discussion.

The discussion shouldn't have started in the first place, just for bringing Metriod into a Sonic thread and CONTINUOUSLY arguing with Firus about it you don't prove your maturity to be any higher then the average 5th grader.

This post will probably just lead to Chris' rebuttal that will only bring it even further from the original topic, so I ask that we keep the Sonic Unleashed discussion afloat or we're sure to see thread closure faster then you can say "lol u tk him 2da bar?"

I had heard about the Wii version would have either one more or one less level though I was never clear which it was and what level. So my options are the PS3 or Wii version, any suggestions?

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I find it funny how you contradict yourself on issues of maturity.

Oh, and I wasn't the one to originally make this thread go off-topic to begin with.

I would probably take Furius's word on the Sonic Unleashed level ratios. Sounds like the X360/PS3 versions are a bit better.

Has anything new been confirmed about that Sonic and the Black Knight game I had heard about a while ago?

Puddin

Smash Lord
I find it funny how you contradict yourself on issues of maturity.

Oh, and I wasn't the one to originally make this thread go off-topic to begin with.

I would probably take Furius's word on the Sonic Unleashed level ratios. Sounds like the X360/PS3 versions are a bit better.

Has anything new been confirmed about that Sonic and the Black Knight game I had heard about a while ago?
I know you weren't the one, you mentioned shooters, Firus did his thing and got angry, and you turned around and got angry right back at him and only fed the monster that is fanboy rage. Because if you haven't noticed Firus loves Metriod.

I haven't heard news about Black Knight except it takes Werehog, turns it into a sword, and pretty much remakes Sonic Unleashed.

You gotta wonder how many teams they have working on this, because in an effort to revive the Sonic series it seems they are beginning to take quantity over quality.

First it was Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood, then Sonic Unleashed, and now they've got Black Knight on the way. I've never seen such a major IP come out with so many games in such a short amount of time, granted Dark Brotherhood wasn't a main game it still seems a bit odd.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
I know you weren't the one, you mentioned shooters, Firus did his thing and got angry, and you turned around and got angry right back at him and only fed the monster that is fanboy rage. Because if you haven't noticed Firus loves Metriod.

I haven't heard news about Black Knight except it takes Werehog, turns it into a sword, and pretty much remakes Sonic Unleashed.

You gotta wonder how many teams they have working on this, because in an effort to revive the Sonic series it seems they are beginning to take quantity over quality.

First it was Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood, then Sonic Unleashed, and now they've got Black Knight on the way. I've never seen such a major IP come out with so many games in such a short amount of time, granted Dark Brotherhood wasn't a main game it still seems a bit odd.
Angry? No, man, I was stating my opinion. Anger plays no role in debate when your as cool-headed as I am. I certainly wasn't thinking of Firus's fanboyisms. I rarely take such matters into concern. Firius loves Metroid. Okay nice to know. I probably should have payed attention to his avatar, but I didn't.

The series couldn't possibly get worse than a Werehog.... atleast a sword is something generic, so its not so far a stretch. I agree that it is not good for Sonic to take a turn towards Final Fantasy, but the series has taken worse directions.

As for the quality vs. quantity issue, its all about money. Someone (and by someone, I mean casuals) is bound to buy this trash and think nothing of it.

Puddin

Smash Lord
As for the quality vs. quantity issue, its all about money. Someone (and by someone, I mean casuals) is bound to buy this trash and think nothing of it.
Isn't it always :(

It was about money when the original Sonic came out, same with every big IP just trying to make a living and it turned out to be worth playing so the money kept coming in and the developers let it get to their head.

Sad, really.

I don't know why they are so concerned with making a Sonic game that is just running, it worked with the original, but they say that Sonic is too fast and the game would be too short. Wasn't that his appeal? He is a hedgehog, he moves fast now you play.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Okay, I found something funny with a screenshot on GameSpot's Review. I marked it to show a few things.

You can see boxed in red three cameos; "E-123 Omega RD", "S. Shadow Ave", and "Rouge St". Interesting that they put those in there, and three of them at once to boot.

Also, there's a "One-way" sign...which is perpendicular to the road, circled in yellow.

And one of the most fail parts...there are THREE speed limit signs in one place (circled in blue, in case you're blind). Kind of funny, really...

So in other words, you're supposed to visit cameo locations while moving at 55, 60, and 80 mph, simultaneously, perpendicular to the road.

No, this does not really bear any merit whatsoever. I just thought it was funny and had 10 minutes to spare circling things on a screenshot.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Okay, I found something funny with a screenshot on GameSpot's Review. I marked it to show a few things.

[image removed for size]

You can see boxed in red three cameos; "E-123 Omega RD", "S. Shadow Ave", and "Rouge St". Interesting that they put those in there, and three of them at once to boot.

Also, there's a "One-way" sign...which is perpendicular to the road, circled in yellow.

And one of the most fail parts...there are THREE speed limit signs in one place (circled in blue, in case you're blind). Kind of funny, really...

So in other words, you're supposed to visit cameo locations while moving at 55, 60, and 80 mph, simultaneously, perpendicular to the road.

No, this does not really bear any merit whatsoever. I just thought it was funny and had 10 minutes to spare circling things on a screenshot.
That is pretty interesting. Especially since Shadow, Rouge and Omega make up the "dark" team in Sonic Heroes. If that were a slightly darker looking world, I would've thought that would be some kind of intentional symbolic reference.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman

I guess running would be safer than driving inthe Sonic world.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
The werehog levels don't suck.

They're awesome; though the sonic levels are better.

No,really. Buy the 360 version, more levels, and better graphics. (Assuming you have a 360, of course.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
I get the impression that the Wii version has one less level, unless I'm mistaken. And assuming that level has both nighttime and daytime stages, and nighttime stages take up more time, the Wii version would have a better ratio of daytime : nighttime stages, whilst the other versions would have more daytime stages.
****...same thing happened to World At War. But I assume only becuase the Wii couldn't handle it. The Black Cats level was the Level i wanted to most and then i didn't get it, even on vet mode(vet was hard as **** and i don't want to know what "HARD" is i mean seriously "you will not survive" uh-oh)

As i said before, the averages on the Wii and 360 pale in comparison. I'm not gonna look them up again and you can find them on page---oh nvm i found it.

Uhh please tell me that either

A)MetaCritic has gone crazy on me
B)I'm crazy
C)All of the above
D)The Wii version is ACTUALLY GOOD?!?!?
E)both C&E

Metacritic's scores on Sonic Unleashed say the Wii version is better!?!?!?!?
:crazy:
Xbox 360 average: 65
Xbox 360 user score:8.1
Xbox 360 Source

Now Get This

Wii average:72
Wii User Score: 8.9
Wii Source

The Internet now scares me.....heck Call of Duty World at War Metacritic Score is off by 1 point. The Wii got 83 and the Xbox 360 got 84...that scary.

Well it seems that the Internet says get the Wii version...that creeps me the **** out. I actually & honestly thought the Wii would get the lowest score out of every version.
Yea so reviewers say that the Wii version is better.

Also NIGHTS 3 and 4 coming? *looks at Firus pic*

Puddin

Smash Lord
The werehog levels don't suck.

They're awesome; though the sonic levels are better.

No,really. Buy the 360 version, more levels, and better graphics. (Assuming you have a 360, of course.)
They might not suck but they don't really belong in a Sonic game. Sega even said they knew the fans would hate the Werehog =\

Minato

穏やかじゃない
People are just criticizing the 360 version way to much when you look at the reviews. There's nothing wrong with it compared to the Wii version. The low scores for the 360 version make people assume that the Wii version is superior in every way.

As for the Werehog stages, they don't suck. But that doesn't mean they're exactly fun either.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Throw in the fact that the Nintendo version of multiplatform Sonic games are usually superior anyway. For example, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog are considered to have the superior Gamecube versions compared to the PS3 and Xbox.

Even Nintendo only Sonic games are considered better than the any Sony/Microsoft version. Of course, in Sony and Microsoft's defense, Secret Rings had TWO companies working on it while 06 was rushed like hell. As for the Rush>>>Rivals opinions, it may stem from the fact that most Sonic fans are now Nintendo fans anyway.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I love the amazing job they did at re-captureing Sonic's speed in the day stages. I really felt like I was 'too fast'. It was great. I was wish that it was just that. Its what hardcore oldschool Sonic fans want. The night stages I didnt like. It was too...I cant even think of a word for it. Not horrid, but do not want. I wish you could just have an option of playing them sepratley, I wouldve loved that so I wouldnt have to touch them. Theres only so much 'God of War'isms I can take. I know some people who love them, but they just arnt for me. I rated the game with a good nod and frown with a chin scratch. The potential is there, but you cant please all the people all the time.

DMan1000

Smash Apprentice
I love the amazing job they did at re-captureing Sonic's speed in the day stages. I really felt like I was 'too fast'. It was great. I was wish that it was just that. Its what hardcore oldschool Sonic fans want. The night stages I didnt like. It was too...I cant even think of a word for it. Not horrid, but do not want. I wish you could just have an option of playing them sepratley, I wouldve loved that so I wouldnt have to touch them. Theres only so much 'God of War'isms I can take. I know some people who love them, but they just arnt for me. I rated the game with a good nod and frown with a chin scratch. The potential is there, but you cant please all the people all the time.
maybe on the next sonic game but i heard sonic team wont make a another sonic game without a gimmick which sucks so hopefully in the next sonic game the gimmick is good:chuckle:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
As i said before, the averages on the Wii and 360 pale in comparison. I'm not gonna look them up again and you can find them on page---oh nvm i found it.

Yea so reviewers say that the Wii version is better.
Reviewers make mistakes, and some are biased. For all we know, someone liked the Wii better so they gave the Wii version a better grade. I'm not saying that DID happen, but it's theoretically possible. Also, did the same two people review the games? If not...there shouldn't even be a question there.
I just haven't even gotten an impression of why the Wii is better, except that it just IS. Depending, I MAY rent the Wii version. If I hear no compelling arguments otherwise, though, I'll get the 360 version.

Also NIGHTS 3 and 4 coming? *looks at Firus pic*
Wha...are you talking about the sign with "S. Shadow" on it? That says right, not night. But I can definitely see how you'd see that.

Sega even said they knew the fans would hate the Werehog =\
Yeah, they CLEARLY knew. They'd have to be absolutely retarde...oh wait, this is Sega, they actually seem to be.

...But seriously. They'd have to be complete morons to not realize that WEREHOG...let's just stop there. WEREHOG. I remember when the screenshot of Sonic and a werewolf-looking Sonic first came out and we called him Werehog. I don't think that was even the official name at the time, I don't think there was one. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I thought it was really funny how we called him that because it's such a ridiculous name, and then it actually ended up as his name.

Also, I played the demo. It was a lot of fun, actually. Short, but sweet. And I was expecting a Werehog stage to accompany it so I could get the full effect, but...there was none. Marketing strategy, anyone? They knew people would hate the Werehog stages so they didn't include one in the demo.

Now here's the BIG question; WHY?! If they KNEW people would like the daytime, but not nighttime, stages, why wouldn't they take the nighttime stages out? It's like they WANT to be ***holes.

Even Nintendo only Sonic games are considered better than the any Sony/Microsoft version. Of course, in Sony and Microsoft's defense, Secret Rings had TWO companies working on it while 06 was rushed like hell. As for the Rush>>>Rivals opinions, it may stem from the fact that most Sonic fans are now Nintendo fans anyway.
I STILL enjoy Sonic '06 more than Secret Rings. FAR more. More than Shadow the Hedgehog too. That game gets more flames than just about any other (except for the cliched, ET and Superman 64). "At least it's not as bad as Sonic '06." is a phrase I hear/read far too often. It was a TON of fun on the first playthrough. On the first playthrough, I put it up with the Adventure games. In retrospect, it was not THAT good. However, I'd still put it above Heroes (and I liked Heroes -- not the BEST, but it was fun), as well as Shadow and Secret Rings. It was a little repetitive, I did not appreciate the Sonic/Selena relationship, and Sonic 'dying' was pretty corny. But overall, it was fun.

As for Rush>>>Rivals...I've never played either, but isn't Rivals a racing game? Also, simply from watching Sonic Rivals in 2 minutes, I get the impression that the story SUCKS. An Eggman from the future turning people into cards? Lolwut? So I can safely say that I don't think it's just people being Nintendo fans.

maybe on the next sonic game but i heard sonic team wont make a another sonic game without a gimmick which sucks so hopefully in the next sonic game the gimmick is good:chuckle:
Yeah. Or maybe they'll actually make a good game again!

...No, you're right. I don't really want the apocalypse.

I think the phrase you're looking for is: "Devil May Cry did it better".
Heh, I knew the concept was familiar...

still have to try a devil may cry game
You should try one, they're great. And if you want a game that will absolutely KILL you, get Devil May Cry 3 (the regular version, not the re-released one -- the special edition is easier). Such a hard game, but still awesome.

DMan1000

Smash Apprentice
Reviewers make mistakes, and some are biased. For all we know, someone liked the Wii better so they gave the Wii version a better grade. I'm not saying that DID happen, but it's theoretically possible. Also, did the same two people review the games? If not...there shouldn't even be a question there.
I just haven't even gotten an impression of why the Wii is better, except that it just IS. Depending, I MAY rent the Wii version. If I hear no compelling arguments otherwise, though, I'll get the 360 version.

Wha...are you talking about the sign with "S. Shadow" on it? That says right, not night. But I can definitely see how you'd see that.

Yeah, they CLEARLY knew. They'd have to be absolutely retarde...oh wait, this is Sega, they actually seem to be.

...But seriously. They'd have to be complete morons to not realize that WEREHOG...let's just stop there. WEREHOG. I remember when the screenshot of Sonic and a werewolf-looking Sonic first came out and we called him Werehog. I don't think that was even the official name at the time, I don't think there was one. Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I thought it was really funny how we called him that because it's such a ridiculous name, and then it actually ended up as his name.

Also, I played the demo. It was a lot of fun, actually. Short, but sweet. And I was expecting a Werehog stage to accompany it so I could get the full effect, but...there was none. Marketing strategy, anyone? They knew people would hate the Werehog stages so they didn't include one in the demo.

Now here's the BIG question; WHY?! If they KNEW people would like the daytime, but not nighttime, stages, why wouldn't they take the nighttime stages out? It's like they WANT to be ***holes.

I STILL enjoy Sonic '06 more than Secret Rings. FAR more. More than Shadow the Hedgehog too. That game gets more flames than just about any other (except for the cliched, ET and Superman 64). "At least it's not as bad as Sonic '06." is a phrase I hear/read far too often. It was a TON of fun on the first playthrough. On the first playthrough, I put it up with the Adventure games. In retrospect, it was not THAT good. However, I'd still put it above Heroes (and I liked Heroes -- not the BEST, but it was fun), as well as Shadow and Secret Rings. It was a little repetitive, I did not appreciate the Sonic/Selena relationship, and Sonic 'dying' was pretty corny. But overall, it was fun.

As for Rush>>>Rivals...I've never played either, but isn't Rivals a racing game? Also, simply from watching Sonic Rivals in 2 minutes, I get the impression that the story SUCKS. An Eggman from the future turning people into cards? Lolwut? So I can safely say that I don't think it's just people being Nintendo fans.

Yeah. Or maybe they'll actually make a good game again!

...No, you're right. I don't really want the apocalypse.

Heh, I knew the concept was familiar...

You should try one, they're great. And if you want a game that will absolutely KILL you, get Devil May Cry 3 (the regular version, not the re-released one -- the special edition is easier). Such a hard game, but still awesome.
wow such a long post but i read it all. and what system is devil may cry 3 for?

shadow3.0

Smash Cadet
Does the PS2 version have more day levels? I'm too lazy to search, and google is acting stupid.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Does the PS2 version have more day levels? I'm too lazy to search, and google is acting stupid.
Should be the same amount as the Wii version.

So, I FINALLY had time to finish the game since I don't have school at the moment.
I retract my rating of 7.5 and I give it an 8.5 (360 version).

There were actually a lot of daytime levels. There are 2-3 (Usually 3) daytime levels for each continent and 1 or 2 Werehog levels for each as well. You only have to beat one of each to proceed through the game.

Eggman Land was amazing (and hard!). It took me an hour to beat the stage if you exclude me dying a bunch of times. Eggman Land consists of probably 40 minutes of Sonic and 20 for Werehog for my first time through. You can beat it quicker though once you get the hang of the short cuts. I've seen it done under 11 minutes.

The only problems I found with this game was the pacing. Werehog stages and the Sun and Moon medals changed the game's pacing a little bit. The other problem was the frame rate. The frame rate goes down in mostly Abadat.

Last set of bosses don't disappoint.
SPOILERS.
There are 3 running/stage portions with Sonic that has you running to Dark Gaia and attacking him.

All in all, I'm not disappointed with this game. Makes me excited for another Sonic game.

Sariku

Smash Master
I prefer the Wii version in all truth. How I see it, the Wii Version will you give a generally faster experience with more shortcuts and more room to move about in. The 360/PS3 Version's give you a still fast experience, though more enemy-filled levels which give you less room for level experimentation.

The 360/PS3 may be more appealing for daytime levels, I prefer the sense of speed and openness the Wii Version delivers.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I just got the Wii version for Christmas, I'm going to play this when I'm not too addictive to Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary, my favroite Sega game becides Sonic games.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I just got the Wii version of the game today. For some reason, the Title Screen music sounds like music you'd hear from games like Super Mario Galaxy and the Star Fox games.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
hey i got this game for christmas and this game is pretty sweet. finally a good, decent sonic game again!! the only thing that gets annoying is if you play those werehog levels like 5 times in a row. besides that, fun game.

I just got the Wii version of the game today. For some reason, the Title Screen music sounds like music you'd hear from games like Super Mario Galaxy and the Star Fox games.
ya thats what i thought when i first heard it too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
hey i got this game for christmas and this game is pretty sweet. finally a good, decent sonic game again!! the only thing that gets annoying is if you play those werehog levels like 5 times in a row. besides that, fun game.
What I found interesting about the nighttime levels was that they were similar to the platformer levels from the Mario games.

And seeing that I've been growing up with the Mario series, the Werehog levels weren't truly annoying IMO.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
So I got the game for Christmas (360 version), and I have to say that the Werehog levels are bothering me more than I thought they would. I knew they wouldn't be as fun as the daytime levels (which are as much of a blast as I was hoping they'd be), but they actually are a bit of a chore to get through. The fighting is boring and repetitive, and the platforming is way unsatisfying. It's all just so sluggish.

Also, it bothers me that I keep hearing the voice of the guy who played Yami Yugi in the English dub of Yugioh. His voice is really unique, so I can always tell it's him, even when he's trying to put on an accent.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
So I got the game for Christmas (360 version), and I have to say that the Werehog levels are bothering me more than I thought they would. I knew they wouldn't be as fun as the daytime levels (which are as much of a blast as I was hoping they'd be), but they actually are a bit of a chore to get through. The fighting is boring and repetitive, and the platforming is way unsatisfying. It's all just so sluggish.
Yeah, Werehog stages aren't that fun. Just remember to upgrade Combat and Strength so you can blow through the stages much more quickly.

Also, it bothers me that I keep hearing the voice of the guy who played Yami Yugi in the English dub of Yugioh. His voice is really unique, so I can always tell it's him, even when he's trying to put on an accent.
I agree, the Pharaoh voicing as Professor Pickle seems strange. He's not bad, it's just weird hearing him talk about cucumber sandwiches and all.

§leepy God

Smash Master
Eh, is the 360 and PS3 gameplay speed that inferior to the Wii's? I want to ask because all my friends said it and I just got the PS3 version.

Top Bottom