• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I know this is kind of off-topic but I HAVE to ask...

What was so bad about Sonic '06 that everyone seems to act like it's the devil in video game form?
I own the game, beat the game, and loved it save for some flaws...
The bad controls
The Final Fantasy-eqsue story that made too many plot holes
The camera
The random glitches
Shadow's story being too important in the overall plot

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
One thing I did not like in SU was that there were triple to quadruple the night stages compared to day stages (A day stage takes about 4 minutes, one night stage section out of 3 or 4 sections per world takes about 7 minutes.)

And honestly, the final boss is hard to beat (not that I am complaning about it); it was the only one in this game that I had to fight more than once to beat it, but part of that might be the fault of how difficult it is to control
Super Sonic

Honestly, I don't see the 360 version of the game stacking up to big titles like Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, and other holiday titles. However, the Wii version, speaking in relation to other Wii titles, automatically deserves at least an 8 just for its production values. Do any of you all think it (the Wii version) deserves an 8?

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...I just checked out the 360 version on youtube and I must say, it actually looks more fun, (or at least empire city does) it's almost like they're two separate games instead of just ports. I heard it has some camera problems though.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Honestly, I don't see the 360 version of the game stacking up to big titles like Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, and other holiday titles. However, the Wii version, speaking in relation to other Wii titles, automatically deserves at least an 8 just for its production values.
Well there's your definite hint...
The fact that the 360 version doesn't stack up to other games on the console and the Wii version does just means that the Wii has a crappy selection of games and the 360 has a rather good selection of games.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
The fact that the 360 version doesn't stack up to other games on the console and the Wii version does just means that the Wii has a crappy selection of games and the 360 has a rather good selection of games.
Or maybe the Wii version just happens to be better? Now, I don't have either version currently, so I can't say either way for sure, but I'm just saying that being on the Wii doesn't automatically make it the inferior version. If I misunderstood what you're trying to say then ignore this.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Lets put things in respective. You have Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Fable 2, etc. all scoring in the 8 or above range. Does Sonic Unleashed on the 360 compare to these titles?

On the other hand, as far as the Wii goes, you have Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, De Blob, Wario Land: Shake it, Skate It, Call of Duty: World at War, No More Heroes etc. mostly scoring in the 8 range. Sonic Unleashed for the Wii definately compares with all of the titles I mentioned (And I think you don't beleive Brawl deserve a 9 anyway).

Then again, I beleive Wii reviews should be made independently from PS3/360 reviews. Although, I would not mind if they marked down Wii games in general for not stacking up to PS3/360 games as long as they were consistent with all of their Wii reviews.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Or maybe the Wii version just happens to be better? Now, I don't have either version currently, so I can't say either way for sure, but I'm just saying that being on the Wii doesn't automatically make it the inferior version. If I misunderstood what you're trying to say then ignore this.
I'm not entirely sure if you did completely misunderstood what I said, so I'll address it anyways.

I'm not saying that either version is inferior. I'm merely saying that by comparison to other games on the console, the 360 version will not be as good. The Wii just doesn't have as many good titles, thus it will do better system-wise.

Lets put things in respective. You have Fallout 3, Mirror's Edge, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Dead Space, Fable 2, etc. all scoring in the 8 or above range. Does Sonic Unleashed on the 360 compare to these titles?

On the other hand, as far as the Wii goes, you have Mario Kart Wii, Brawl, De Blob, Wario Land: Shake it, Skate It, Call of Duty: World at War, No More Heroes etc. mostly scoring in the 8 range. Sonic Unleashed for the Wii definately compares with all of the titles I mentioned (And I think you don't beleive Brawl deserve a 9 anyway).
So you're basically saying what I thought you were; Unleashed isn't as good as 360 titles, but is up to par with Wii titles. Correct?

Then again, I beleive Wii reviews should be made independently from PS3/360 reviews. Although, I would not mind if they marked down Wii games in general for not stacking up to PS3/360 games as long as they were consistent with all of their Wii reviews.
I disagree. Wii games shouldn't get a courtesy bump/lower because the other games are bad. They should treat all games with the same criteria.

In all honesty, I believe the titles should be completely independent from everything. Don't rate all Xbox 360 games based on how good the system can be. Don't rate all Wii games based on how bad the system can be. Just rate them based on gameplay, graphics, etc. If a game is on Wii, it's not going to have as good graphics as the 360. Don't give it a 10 just because it's good for the Wii.

Because really, that's an inaccurate way to rate a game. I have a 360 and a Wii. So if you do that courtesy bump up in score because Wii games are worse, theoretically the Wii version would be better (assuming they're already identical otherwise, just for the sake of this argument). So the review recommends I play the Wii version when really it just comes down to whether I prefer to play it on my 360 or my Wii? That doesn't make sense. Nor would it make sense if they recommended the 360 version over the Wii version when there's the same situation. When you get into a system of "rate according to console", reviews will only help you as far as one console goes. If you've got more than one or want to compare anyways, you're out of luck.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure if you did completely misunderstood what I said, so I'll address it anyways.

I'm not saying that either version is inferior. I'm merely saying that by comparison to other games on the console, the 360 version will not be as good. The Wii just doesn't have as many good titles, thus it will do better system-wise.

So you're basically saying what I thought you were; Unleashed isn't as good as 360 titles, but is up to par with Wii titles. Correct?

I disagree. Wii games shouldn't get a courtesy bump/lower because the other games are bad. They should treat all games with the same criteria.

In all honesty, I believe the titles should be completely independent from everything. Don't rate all Xbox 360 games based on how good the system can be. Don't rate all Wii games based on how bad the system can be. Just rate them based on gameplay, graphics, etc. If a game is on Wii, it's not going to have as good graphics as the 360. Don't give it a 10 just because it's good for the Wii.

Because really, that's an inaccurate way to rate a game. I have a 360 and a Wii. So if you do that courtesy bump up in score because Wii games are worse, theoretically the Wii version would be better (assuming they're already identical otherwise, just for the sake of this argument). So the review recommends I play the Wii version when really it just comes down to whether I prefer to play it on my 360 or my Wii? That doesn't make sense. Nor would it make sense if they recommended the 360 version over the Wii version when there's the same situation. When you get into a system of "rate according to console", reviews will only help you as far as one console goes. If you've got more than one or want to compare anyways, you're out of luck.
Well, when I said Wii games should be rated independently, I meant in moderation; this system would apply to the games within the 8-9 point range. You will agree with me that no Wii game deserves a ten. I was reffering to the review scores for multiplatform titles. Example Call of Duty: World at War; it is one of the best games for the Wii, but it got lower scores on the Wii because of its inferiority to the other versions. The Wii version won't be rated 2.5 points higher than the PS3/360 versions if they are exactly the same, but the game should get a little boost considering the system, particually if said game is good.

Frankly, the scores for Wii games (and the other platforms as well) should reflect how they stack up to the robust titles on the platform. A bad game for the Wii even if it is exactly the same as its PS3/360 counterpart should score low anyway since it would not stack up. A great game like CoD:WaW should score in the 8.4-8.7 range (imo) even if it is Wii gimped since it is better than a lot of the Wii games in the 8 score range. This system I envision is not uniform across the scoring spectrum. The better the quality of the game, the more leeway said Wii game gets.

That or all games are rated independently of each other and only on their own merits, which would only work if their was not bias in the review, which plagues pretty much every Wii game review except Animal Crossing: City Folk (Which is the definite exception in my scoring system. Arguably the best game on the Wii, but gets severely penalyzed for unoriginality).

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
Somebody needs to get the GameSpot reviewers' heads out of their asse s, so that they can watch me smash their junk in.

That just further cements the truth that no matter the good qualities of a game coupled with the bad, people are JUST out to get Sonic.

Son of a...

*******. The whole lot of them. Always have been.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That just further cements the truth that no matter the good qualities of a game coupled with the bad, people are JUST out to get Sonic.
This is exactly what I've felt since Sonic Adventure 2.
Where's the love for Sonic?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Somebody needs to get the GameSpot reviewers' heads out of their asse s, so that they can watch me smash their junk in.

Son of a...

*******. The whole lot of them. Always have been.
Maybe humans have an innate hatred of hedgehogs? I mean, look at Dr. Robotnik.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Apparently, there's a demo for Unleashed out on XBL now -- I'm going to download and play it, get a feel for it to see if it's definitely worth renting (although I imagine it is, buying it is the debatable thing).

And marthmaster, your sig is HUGE. You really need to make that picture smaller. It's stretching the page.

EDIT: Ugh, of course, it's only for Gold members for the moment. I'll have to check back in a few days and get it then (no, I don't have a Gold membership yet -- haven't gotten around to it).

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
That or all games are rated independently of each other and only on their own merits, which would only work if their was not bias in the review, which plagues pretty much every Wii game review except Animal Crossing: City Folk (Which is the definite exception in my scoring system. Arguably the best game on the Wii, but gets severely penalyzed for unoriginality).
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Rented this game.

As many people have said before, daytime levels are the shiz, werehog stages ARE shiz.

They sooo need to make a sonic game with just levels like the daytime ones. Never going to happen though, unfortunately.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Correction. Only comically obese humans with freakish noses and spiky/large moustaches have an innate hatred for hedgehogs.

Also Snake.
Good enough then. :chuckle:

As for Snake, his hatred is linked to the fact that is codename's namesake is part of a hedgehog's regular diet. In other words, he doesn't like irony.

Also, the true reason why many people hate Sonic games these days are due to the recent ones heavily falling into Sturgeon's Law.

At any rate, I haven't yet decided on which version I should get, as I am quite conflicted.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Animal Crossing City Folk Is an AMAZING game along .. with Sonic Unleashed...

I would Say city folk is probably number seven on wii list .... sonic 22

Darkslash

Smash Master
My pic for worst of the three Metroid Primes...
I think Echo's was the worst. But it wasn't bad, just repetitive. Metroid Prime &3 is tied for me.
A shooter that relies on the over-complicated Wii-Mote controls? No thank you.
Lol wut? It seems you didn't even play the game. The controls are almost perfection. every thing is within finger reach.

Rundas is awesome, but that doesn't save this game.
Rundas WAS awesome, until he went mad and
burned or should i say iced
him self.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
My pic for worst of the three Metroid Primes...

A shooter that relies on the over-complicated Wii-Mote controls? No thank you.

Rundas is awesome, but that doesn't save this game.
The first two Primes had controls far more complicated. Why can't I aim up without holding L? Why does it take both every direction on the c-stick and every direction on the d-pad to to different things for each?

Then MP3 comes in. Oh look, we have one singular method of aiming, one button for the visor changes, and everything else is still pretty much controlled like in the old games. Okay, fine, the grapple beam is done with a gesture instead of the lock-on button, but it's not too hard to remember a gesture that actuall makes sense for the action, which is more than I can say for some Wii games.

Back to Unleashed: I really wouldn't worry if Gamespot reviews the Wii version. They actually gave Secret Rings a decent score, so they aren't completley biased against Sonic. Maybe the reviewer of the 360 version was just having a bad day.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
The fundamentals of the Wii-mote make it bad for FPS games.

You twitch... you just lost your aim.

A really minor move can have bad consequences.

I would rather use the good old trusty GC controller.

Darkslash

Smash Master
The fundamentals of the Wii-mote make it bad for FPS games.

A really minor move can have bad consequences.

Wait wut?

The wiimote is almost if not equal to the mouse and keyboard. That twitch really only applies to the Dual anolog sticks. I can always zero back on my target and i twitch alot when i play the wii.

Yea so anyways, I think Gamespot just doesn't like the Xbox360 version of Unleashed. They did give Secret rings an Okay score.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
A shooter
That's where you fail.

It does have combat, and a fair amount of it, but it's not an extensive amount so much that I'd call it a shooter. Adventure is more appropriate, which is why Nintendo has dubbed the Prime series a "first-person adventure".

Also, MP3 has some of the best shooter controls for the Wii.

The first two Primes had controls far more complicated. Why can't I aim up without holding L? Why does it take both every direction on the c-stick and every direction on the d-pad to to different things for each?

Then MP3 comes in. Oh look, we have one singular method of aiming, one button for the visor changes, and everything else is still pretty much controlled like in the old games. Okay, fine, the grapple beam is done with a gesture instead of the lock-on button, but it's not too hard to remember a gesture that actuall makes sense for the action, which is more than I can say for some Wii games.
You mean without holding R. L was lock-on.

What's wrong with the c-stick and d-pad controls? I actually found them to be quite efficient...also keep in mind that MP3 probably didn't use these because A) Beams stacked and B) They didn't really have room to put visors on the D-pad.
I don't think there's anything wrong with MP3's controls, but I feel the same way about the first two Primes as well.

Yeah, as happens with the PC, but I see people every day talking about how great PC controls are. Even worse, the mouse gets stuck or dirty and you've got to wave it around to get it right which screws you up even more.

Technically if you twitch the right way you lose your aim with any kinds of controls.

I'm not one to defend the Wii, but MP3 is my favorite on the console. (Granted, I haven't played FE yet. I want to, but I'm forcing myself to finish PoR first.) Animal Crossing would come in second, then Zelda, and after that the list kind of fades off into crap.

As would I. But I'd also rather have Gamecube games. As far as Wii games go, it's pretty good.

But enough on that. None of us are changing opinions here, I just had to give MP3 the defense it deserves.

Anyone know how long demos on XBL usually take to become available for Silver Members? Is it like a week, or a few days?

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
That's where you fail.

It does have combat, and a fair amount of it, but it's not an extensive amount so much that I'd call it a shooter. Adventure is more appropriate, which is why Nintendo has dubbed the Prime series a "first-person adventure".

Also, MP3 has some of the best shooter controls for the Wii.

You mean without holding R. L was lock-on.

What's wrong with the c-stick and d-pad controls? I actually found them to be quite efficient...also keep in mind that MP3 probably didn't use these because A) Beams stacked and B) They didn't really have room to put visors on the D-pad.
I don't think there's anything wrong with MP3's controls, but I feel the same way about the first two Primes as well.

Yeah, as happens with the PC, but I see people every day talking about how great PC controls are. Even worse, the mouse gets stuck or dirty and you've got to wave it around to get it right which screws you up even more.

Technically if you twitch the right way you lose your aim with any kinds of controls.

I'm not one to defend the Wii, but MP3 is my favorite on the console. (Granted, I haven't played FE yet. I want to, but I'm forcing myself to finish PoR first.) Animal Crossing would come in second, then Zelda, and after that the list kind of fades off into crap.

As would I. But I'd also rather have Gamecube games. As far as Wii games go, it's pretty good.

But enough on that. None of us are changing opinions here, I just had to give MP3 the defense it deserves.

Anyone know how long demos on XBL usually take to become available for Silver Members? Is it like a week, or a few days?
Do you kill people completely/almost completely with a gun?
Yes.
Its a shooter. It may have adventure elements but that doesn't make it not a shooter.

To deny it being a shooter is like saying that Halo 3 isn't a shooter because you can use an energy sword/gravity hammer.

A minor twitch of the arm is what I'm talking about. There is no way in hell that you can maintain a still arm constantly. Twitching has little effect on that mouse. I would know this, because I had spent years playing online games.

Oh and I wasn't saying that MP3 is a bad game by all standards. By the standards of the other MP games, I would consider it a bad game. Now by Wii standards, it is an excellent game (but then again Wii standards are Hannah Montana and Wii Cheer.) This game would probably be seen as average at best if most Wii games were GC quality or better.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Do you kill people completely/almost completely with a gun?
Yes.
Its a shooter. It may have adventure elements but that doesn't make it not a shooter.

To deny it being a shooter is like saying that Halo 3 isn't a shooter because you can use an energy sword/gravity hammer.
Except...Metroid Prime games/Metroid games in general focus on Adventure, not combat. To link back to the topic, would you call Unleashed an Action game because you spend 3/4 of the game fighting enemies and getting combos? No, I'd still call it a Platformer. Prime 1/2/3 are all Adventure with Shooter elements. Similar to Mirror's Edge (although I'd call that a Platformer more than an Adventure).

A minor twitch of the arm is what I'm talking about. There is no way in hell that you can maintain a still arm constantly. Twitching has little effect on that mouse. I would know this, because I had spent years playing online games.
A minor twitch of the arm would affect you just as much on the Wii as on a computer...if your arm twitches, your hand probably will too thus causing a change in aim. As many complaints as I have about motion sensor, I've not found minor twitches of the arm to be that detrimental.

The times I've attempted PC gaming, I've found stuck mouses/awkward arm positions to be quite annoying and detrimental, actually.

Oh and I wasn't saying that MP3 is a bad game by all standards. By the standards of the other MP games, I would consider it a bad game. Now by Wii standards, it is an excellent game (but then again Wii standards are Hannah Montana and Wii Cheer.) This game would probably be seen as average at best if most Wii games were GC quality or better.
Well, exactly. But you said that it would be the worst of the three (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and itself), which is why I challenged you.

But yeah, we should REALLY get back on topic.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Well, exactly. But you said that it would be the worst of the three (Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and itself), which is why I challenged you.

But yeah, we should REALLY get back on topic.
When I said the worst of the three, I meant the three Metroid Primes.

I hate Animal Crossing, so I'm automatically going to rate MP3 above that.

Radiant Dawn is loads better than MP3 though. No reliance on motion controls. No casual elements (in fact its one of the most challenging games in the series).

If you disagree, then you probably just hate the series as a whole, and thus your opinion doesn't really matter.

But on topic....

Is this game actually good or not. By the looks of the Werehog... I would assume not.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Right now, I think Sonic games on Nintendo is better done than Playstaion or Xbox in my mind. Though Unleashed is a start, the next Sonic game should try to be better. But I still can't get over that fact that gamespot gave this game a 3.4 though. =/

I'll say Puyo Puyo 15th Anniversary if they realease it out in the US would give Sega better rep than it is right now.... I got it from Japan for the Wii and can't play it anymore thanks to the Wii update. D:

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
When I said the worst of the three, I meant the three Metroid Primes.

I hate Animal Crossing, so I'm automatically going to rate MP3 above that.
Ohhh, sorry. I completely misunderstood. I pretty much agree. I used to consider 2 to be the worst, but now that I'm thinking about it I kind of rushed through MP2 to beat it before MP3 came out, so I really want to replay it to make sure I made a good judgment.

Animal Crossing is really fun...if you haven't played it and it just looks distasteful, I'd highly recommend that you at least try it. If you have, that's fine -- I just want to make sure you're not missing out due to what the game looks like on first sight.

Radiant Dawn is loads better than MP3 though. No reliance on motion controls. No casual elements (in fact its one of the most challenging games in the series).

If you disagree, then you probably just hate the series as a whole, and thus your opinion doesn't really matter.
That's a little bit of an elitist way to look at it...that if I disagree, I must hate FE as a whole...but anyways, as I said, I haven't actually played RD since I want to beat PoR first. I imagine RD would be better as far as Wii games go, but I haven't played it so thus far, all I can say is MP3 as the best Wii game.

I actually love Fire Emblem, so...yeah. The only reason I have nothing to say on the matter of RD is because I haven't played it.

But on topic....

Is this game actually good or not. By the looks of the Werehog... I would assume not.
From the sound of it, the Werehog part is about 3/5 of the game and the regular Sonic part is about 2/5 of the game. Werehog is failtastic, regular Sonic is wintastic. I get the impression that Werehog really hurts the game but it doesn't make it horrible altogether.

But I haven't played it yet, just going by looks and word-of-mouth.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Seriously, losing your aim is not an issue at all in MP3, just like the other two, health is abundant and you get more energy tanks than you need to fight most of the bosses (hyper mode kind of ruins that but as long as you use it only when you need to you'll be fine), unlike CoD where you're dead in three shots, and HAVE to be very careful. And how often do you stay perfectly still using a mouse to aim? I'd actually compare playing MP3 to playing a PC shooter rather than a console shooter like Halo. If you just change the controls to "Advanced," everything is just a slight wrist movement. I've tilted my sensor down on my TV slightly so I can play with my arms resting on my legs so it doesn't get tiresome and/or look moronic.

I'd say MP3 is the best of the series...I haven't even beaten it yet but its already loads of fun.

Oh, yeah...Sonic and whatnot.

I don't know if I want it, I like the looks of the daytime gameplay but if the nighttime plays anything like SA2, then I don't want it.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
That's a little bit of an elitist way to look at it...that if I disagree, I must hate FE as a whole...but anyways, as I said, I haven't actually played RD since I want to beat PoR first. I imagine RD would be better as far as Wii games go, but I haven't played it so thus far, all I can say is MP3 as the best Wii game.

I actually love Fire Emblem, so...yeah. The only reason I have nothing to say on the matter of RD is because I haven't played it.
Yeah it did sound rather elitist, I just couldn't think of a better way to phrase it. :ohwell:

But if you like a challenge, you'll probably love RD.

The first 10 levels can be hell on the higher difficulties, and the rest of the game isn't exactly easiest in the series.

Fortunately there are plenty of powerful units to save your ***.

I actually liked Echoes.... until I got to the last boss. At first I was like :bee:..... and then I was like :mad:.

Sounds like Sonic: Unleashed won't be on my X-Mas wishlist.

Top Bottom