• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
No you don't, if your missing one requirement, you have to do that requirement. For example, if you got all the rings and Force but beat the stage late, you have to redo the stage but just beat the clock.

Sonic Levels: yes the 360/PS3 is kind of faster, but Werehog levels is a much slower than the Wii version, did you even play the Wii version?
Not true... if u replay a level in which u cleared 2/3 and u clear the 3rd one u just get the missing sun medal but the rank is not S.... ur ranked for ur effort every time u play it.... u could clear it with S one time and with C the next one... the only things that stay are the medals but anyways i dont see how the rank is important.... everything is about medals :p

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Sonic Unleashed was great--however there are a few things I feel should be brought back/changed.

1) Sonic's ring system--I liked it more when he lost them all, but could retrieve them. However I'm not sure that'd work in this new fast pace. ???

2) Super Sonic--His old ring system should be brought back as well--other than that, spectacular.

3) Monitors--bring back the monitors/bubbles that contained rings, extra lives, and especially the speed shoes. ^.^

That's pretty much all I have to say.

Also: What if SEGA continued to implement teh Werehog battle system; as in, for the next game when you play as, say, Knuckles, you battle it out like the Werehog..

I'm both for and against.. because I kinda liked the Werehog gameplay.. but I don't want that to happen to everyone's favorite Echidna :p

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sonic Unleashed was great--however there are a few things I feel should be brought back/changed.

1) Sonic's ring system--I liked it more when he lost them all, but could retrieve them. However I'm not sure that'd work in this new fast pace. ???
It should work. You do kind of stop if you hit something.
3) Monitors--bring back the monitors/bubbles that contained rings, extra lives, and especially the speed shoes. ^.^
Dude, you read my mind.
I love the monitors, and I've been wanting them back for awhile now.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
The capsules and balloons just aren't as good as the monitors.

They should bring back the invincibility power up and the original jingle, not the one from the 3D games.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
The ramps and speed rings are nice additions to the sonic series (wait.. how old are ramps?) IMO, and balloons work. Nice to see the spring boards back as well. If they were to put back the monitors with shields, invicibility powerups, and speed shoes, it'd be pure epicness.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Wouldn't all of that be a nostalgic step backwards?

The more I hear about what made Sonic unleashed great and see the 2D sections of the speed runs, the more I am lead to think people buy the game because its speed stages are so much like a graphically enhanced Sega Genesis title rather than a true next gen Sonic.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Wouldn't all of that be a nostalgic step backwards?

The more I hear about what made Sonic unleashed great and see the 2D sections of the speed runs, the more I am lead to think people buy the game because its speed stages are so much like a graphically enhanced Sega Genesis title rather than a true next gen Sonic.
People who think Sonic Unleashed's 2D sections are like the original games need to spend more times playing the classics.
The 2D sections in Sonic Unleashed involve you running forward, grinding down rails, and bouncing up the occasional spring.
If anything, they could be compared to a simplified Sonic Advance 2.
A extremely simplified version.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
People who think Sonic Unleashed's 2D sections are like the original games need to spend more times playing the classics.
The 2D sections in Sonic Unleashed involve you running forward, grinding down rails, and bouncing up the occasional spring.
If anything, they could be compared to a simplified Sonic Advance 2.
A extremely simplified version.
Actually, it's the other way around. I don't have unleashed yet, I only know what the trailers look like. The trailers imply a strong 2D emphasis with 3D sections revolving primarily around going straight and avoiding obstacles. I have yet to actually play unleashed because of a combination of negatively reviewed werehog stages and a dislike for the original 2D formula (not to mention the nearest gamestop takes a half hour + to get to by bus).

EDIT: one of my friends who never played a 3D sonic is a huge Shadow fan. I'm sure she's not alone. Where do the Shadow fans come from?

Splice

Smash Hero
I actually LOVED the night stages... Searching them for items, killin' stuff.
But once you've done everything, all you want to do is play the day stages over and over as fast as you can. Werehog stages have little replayability.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I actually LOVED the night stages... Searching them for items, killin' stuff.
But once you've done everything, all you want to do is play the day stages over and over as fast as you can. Werehog stages have little replayability.
True, I love the day time levels so much to the point that I play this stage over and over again for a while. The night time level I like, but I don't like replaying it. ;p ♥

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
True, I love the day time levels so much to the point that I play this stage over and over again for a while. The night time level I like, but I don't like replaying it. ;p ♥
actually the replayability is so poor that after like 75% of the game u dont wanna play more night stages even once..... ive played spyro the eternal night recently and i came to the conclusion that half sonic unleashed is a modern 3D sonic game which kinda reminds u some of the later 2D sonics and the other half is more like an average designed platformer which was meant to be a standalone-crossover-poor-quality-3rd-party game.... (i like to pass my time playing such games when i dont got anything else to do but.....a sonic game? NO WAY....pure dissapointment)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
For anyone that has the 360 version of Sonic Unleashed, there's some new DLC.

Chu-nan's got some extra stages for both daytime and nighttime. I'm downloading them right now.

Foofshenheimer

Smash Cadet
I got this for my wii a little after christmas time. i absolutely hate it. too much emphasis on the extremely gimmicky werewolf thing and theres too 2D city chatter. I miss Sonic Adventure and the sega iterations of the series. QQ

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, my friend just lent Unleashed to me today. So far, I like the daytime stages -- they're not the original Sonic games, because endless speed isn't original Sonic despite what people think. But they're fun nonetheless and I'm not going to hate them just because they're not one thing.

Werehog stages, on the other hand? Ugh. NO. The Werehog is not fun to use since he's so bulky and such. When it comes to the fights, they are extremely boring. A ton of enemies, all of them taking about five hits to kill. What do you do? Flail your arms back and forth until they all die. No fun in that.

Another complaint of mine is the music...the title music REEKS of Super Mario Galaxy, which is not only annoying since it's a blatant ripoff, but I hated Galaxy's soundtrack. Also, more annoying than the actual fighting of the Werehog stages is that every time there's a fight it plays the same annoying music.

So far not bad, but not really a classic either.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually liked the music in this game.
I thought it was one of the stronger points in the game.

I did, however, hate the battle music for Werehog stages.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Another complaint of mine is the music...the title music REEKS of Super Mario Galaxy, which is not only annoying since it's a blatant ripoff, but I hated Galaxy's soundtrack.
Hate Galaxy's soundtrack?!? THIS IS MADNESS!!! Only people that would hate Mario Galaxy's sound track is not human. O_o

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hate Galaxy's soundtrack?!? THIS IS MADNESS!!! Only people that would hate Mario Galaxy's sound track is not human. O_o
Yeah, it seems like my friend and I are the only two people in the world who dislike it.

Nonetheless, I find it to be unfitting for a video game and kind of...meh and boring. It's not that ALL orchestral music is bad, just...I don't know what it is about both Unleashed's title music and Galaxy's entire soundtrack, it has a certain element to it that I really dislike in a video game.
Maybe that it sounds like Disney.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Super Mario Galaxy doesn't have video game music. There's no MIDI to be found, and the songs, in their entirety, are traditionally found in the orchestra than in a video game. They all demonstrate unpresidented grandeur and all fit the setting perfectly, but Super Mario Galaxy is entirely orchestra, almost classical music. I like a bit of electric guitar here and there myself, but the game did have an awesome soundtrack (my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4t8xQBsij8&feature=related)

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You don't need a MIDI to be video game music, but I don't find Galaxy's music to fit for a video game at all.

But this is off-topic, since this is about Unleashed, not Galaxy.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Super Mario Galaxy doesn't have video game music. There's no MIDI to be found, and the songs, in their entirety, are traditionally found in the orchestra than in a video game. They all demonstrate unpresidented grandeur and all fit the setting perfectly, but Super Mario Galaxy is entirely orchestra, almost classical music. I like a bit of electric guitar here and there myself, but the game did have an awesome soundtrack (my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4t8xQBsij8&feature=related)
So let me get this straight:
People complain about Nintendo not having orchestrated music
But when they do use it, it's not REAL video game music

Bah whatever, this topic Unleashed anyway.

I enjoyed the Werehog levels. Wholesome platforming, imo. Except for the dumb concept of pressing the control stick twice to dash. Though I have a major beef with Sega ,its (remaining) fans because of it.

WHY ISN'T THERE A 3D RISTAR GAME YET!

For ****'s sake, the Werehog acted much like Ristar. Crap, if Sega fans just paid attention to more of Sega's stuff other than Sonic, people wouldn't be complaining about Sega as much. They still release good non-Sonic titled games. Hell, if Unleashed had a storyline in which Sonic and Ristar somehow merged where Sonic transform into Ristar and vice versa during day/night, it would make more sense!

Gah, the stupidity of fan bases. If it's not Nintendo fans ignoring games, it's Sega. And then there's Square fans, Capcom fans, Rare fans etc.

Man, I'm getting tired of the video game fandom.

Now for the day levels. The day levels are good. The day levels are fun. I enjoyed the day levels. The day levels are NOT like the 2D Sonic games. Now I can't, for the life of me, fathom how the stupid pro reviewers now basically imply that the day levels are like the 2D Sonic games.

Trust me guys, we won't hear the end of it. You know how most reviewers usually give the same old speech about 'Sonic not being good since 2D' they usually sprinkle in Sonic reviews. Well now it's gonna be 'Sonic not being good since 2D and Unleashed's day levels.' Just wait guys, it already started this claim on the Black Knight.

But Unleashed is a solid game. It's fun. It's funny.

Another complaint of mine is the music...the title music REEKS of Super Mario Galaxy, which is not only annoying since it's a blatant ripoff, but I hated Galaxy's soundtrack.
I'm so lost. How is Unleashed music the same as Galaxy? I mean, Galaxy didn't have predominately rock or jazz genre as its BGM. But then again, I'm a guy who thinks Sonic music is usually kick *** anyway

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I'm not complaining about the lack of MIDI. I'm not complaining about anything concerning Galaxy's sound track.

Although you do realize that no matter what is done, someone will complain. Think politics - democrats complain about Republican decisions, and Republicans complain about the opposite, democrat decisions.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm so lost. How is Unleashed music the same as Galaxy? I mean, Galaxy didn't have predominately rock or jazz genre as its BGM. But then again, I'm a guy who thinks Sonic music is usually kick *** anyway
Read more closely next time.

I said I didn't like the music, and that the title music in particular sounded like Galaxy music.

Unleashed Title Music

Good Egg Galaxy Music

I usually love Sonic music but I've found Unleashed's music to be lackluster.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
LOL I'm sorry. I just think that 'Sonic music' and 'bad' shouldn't be in the same sentence unless the phrase "in the bizarro world" is there as well. Otherwise, I just freak out. lol

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
I find most Sonic music to be somewhat outdated, with only a few main themes being exceptions.

For example, I hate the Sonic Heroes theme. I like a large number of the Shadow the Hedgehog themes, but most the Sonic stage themes have been around for a while. This may not still be true though, as I stopped playing Sonic games altogether after Sonic '06.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I personally like the Sonic Heroes theme.

I seriously love most Sonic music --

Ice Cap
Final Boss (Sonic 3)
Metropolis
Final Zone
Lava Reef
Sky Sanctuary
Volcano Valley (Act 2)

For some retro examples, and...

Grand Metropolis
Sky Troops
His World (Acoustic)
Kingdom Valley (Lakeside)
Radical Highway
Green Forest
Twinkle Cart (Okay, so it's a remix of an older song but I really like the remix)
Angel Island (Sonic Advance)

For some more recent examples.

I just haven't liked Unleashed's music thus far.

karthik_king

Smash Ace
Sonic Heroes was the best!!! They failed with Sonic Unleashed though. I also loved the Radical Highway BGM too. IMO SA2 and Sonic Heroes had best music

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Is Sonic a dying brand?

While Unleased is technically a million seller, it didn't sell a million copies on any single system. Only a couple hundred thousand on each.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah, it seems like my friend and I are the only two people in the world who dislike it.

Nonetheless, I find it to be unfitting for a video game and kind of...meh and boring. It's not that ALL orchestral music is bad, just...I don't know what it is about both Unleashed's title music and Galaxy's entire soundtrack, it has a certain element to it that I really dislike in a video game.
Maybe that it sounds like Disney.
I agree with Firus on this one. While I find the music to be beautifully written, it does not fit Super Mario at all. It could work for a video game, and while it fit into the game, it didn't feel like Mario, which is why, perhaps, the game itself didn't feel like a Mario game as much as previous titles. All in all, it was a great experience, but just think what Ocarina of Time might have been like without its music. Music makes a game, and SMG's didn't make it a Super Mario game.

Anyways, back to Sonic.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Personally, I think the Super Mario Galaxy music made it a Galaxy game, rather than a Super Mario game.

Anyway, Does anyone think that slowly but surely, the sonic franchise is fading away?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Did anyone download the Spagonia pack?
The extra stages are awesome.

I've been having all sorts of problems in these extra stages.
I find them even harder than Eggmanland, but that's probably because I don't know the stage layout yet.

I haven't touched the DLC night stages in Chu-nan or Spagonia yet.
I'll probably do those when I have time.
I might as well play them since I paid for them.

Top Bottom