• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Eh, is the 360 and PS3 gameplay speed that inferior to the Wii's? I want to ask because all my friends said it and I just got the PS3 version.
The Wii/PS2 version is different than the PS3/360 in many ways. And it's not just the stages that are a bit different. Some bosses are also fought differently between the two versions.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Eh, is the 360 and PS3 gameplay speed that inferior to the Wii's? I want to ask because all my friends said it and I just got the PS3 version.
Not in my opinion. PS3 version seems a lot faster. The Wii version might seem faster because it's more straightforward than the PS3 version, but that's a problem for me. It seems too bland.

I just got to Eggmanland on the PS3 version. It feels almost perfectly done from what I've played (not much). It's amazing, because Sonic Team never seems to know the difference between hard and frustrating. :p

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got to Eggmanland on the PS3 version. It feels almost perfectly done from what I've played (not much). It's amazing, because Sonic Team never seems to know the difference between hard and frustrating. :p
I'm glad you like Eggmanland. A lot of people complained that the stage was too hard because of all the traps they throw at you. I guess they don't like games with trial and error. I love it.

Eggmanland is probably my favorite stage along with Empire City.

Abadat would've been a favorite if the frame rate didn't drop so much. How's the frame rate for that stage in the PS3 version?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm extremely disappointed with the game. I'm a huge Sonic fan, even finding good in Sonic on 360, Shadow, and more. Now I'm not too far into Sonic Unleashed (on Wii), but I'm very unsatisfied. The new helper character is absolutely terrible and annoying, and the adventure part in between levels is absolutely terrible. It's slow and mundane with a lot of reading without even any graphics to go along with it. You can't skip any of the adventure part, nor can you skip any of the cutscenes which can last to extraordinary amounts of time. I think the last time I played it, I waited over 20 minutes of cutscenes and adventure sleuthing before I got to a real level so I didn't even want to play anymore.

The day levels are too fast, and the mechanics don't feel right. Sonic feels like he's on rails somehow as you are completely caught in a forward momentum making it tough to turn or execute certain actions. The little button pressing minigames make no sense in order to get a speed boost or continue on (like in Sonic Rivals) makes no sense at all both in a gameplay and design point of view. Why would you completely stop the game cold for about 3 seconds to press buttons. What does pressing these buttons do for Sonic? Do they provide him some sort of unknown energy? This is unlike smart implementation of button controls in a game such as the Bowyer boss in Mario RPG when he disabled the buttons.

The werehog levels are almost more enjoyable that the day time levels. The engine seems to work a lot nicer, and the mechanics aren't half bad. The only problem here is the level design. There are way too many beat these enemies to continue points with the same enemies over and over with your few ways to fight them.

I hope the game gets better...

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm beginning to think I should rent both the Wii version and the 360 version...first of all, I can't figure out which version is supposed to be better. Second, from what I've heard the PS2/Wii version is much different from the 360/PS3 version, and I want to know exactly how and be able to judge both games accordingly. It'll cost some extra, but I think it's probably worth it in the end.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You can't skip any of the adventure part, nor can you skip any of the cutscenes which can last to extraordinary amounts of time. I think the last time I played it, I waited over 20 minutes of cutscenes and adventure sleuthing before I got to a real level so I didn't even want to play anymore.
I don't own the Wii version, but I heard you can skip the cutscenes by pressing start 3 times. I'm not sure if you have to beat the game first.

I know the 360 version will let you skip them.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
There's your problem, Chibo. You're playing the Wii version. ROFLOL

You miss out on what makes a Sonic adventure (no pun intended) feel complete in the new age of gaming. I find the Werehog levels are frustrating on the 360 version (they work, control wise they work just fine, but it's the dying and losing your points factor that annoys me), but the daylight levels are extremely fun. Trust me, you'll get a real kick out of them. And on rails? I know you mean it FEELS like it when it's not, but wasn't it the same way with the original Sonic games? The entire objective is to move forward constantly as fast as you can. Heck, even the daylight levels have SOME platforming involved where you may need to slow down. Maybe it's not as apparent in the Wii and PS2 version...but they exist.

Stopping cold in mid-air, to SEGA, as time slows for you, makes it feel urgent. Like, "Oh man... If I press these buttons right, something awesome's going to happen." And so you do it right, and you go on a different trail where most of the time, you're in for a wild burst of speed. It adds variety, maybe not a lot, but it's a tiny bit of something in what would otherwise be the constantly running blue hedgehog we've come to know over the years.

You're missing out. The Wii version feels like an incomplete version of a better Sonic game on the next generations of 360 and PS3. That's me, anyway, and probably many others.

Give it a spin!

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I'm glad you like Eggmanland. A lot of people complained that the stage was too hard because of all the traps they throw at you. I guess they don't like games with trial and error. I love it.
I never really noticed anything I'd call trial and error. Huh. It all seemed fairly straightforward to me.

Eggmanland is probably my favorite stage along with Empire City.
Empire City's werehog levels are the best, but I feel that the best daytime levels are Mazuri and Spagonia.

Abadat would've been a favorite if the frame rate didn't drop so much. How's the frame rate for that stage in the PS3 version?
Not much better really, but maybe it's just me, but it seems to get better you enable graphics smoothing. Adabat would have been my favorite if it wasn't for that too.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
is me or wii version was fun? :confused:
Spin-Dash did you play the wii version?
I have played it; and as a Sonic fan I enjoyed it for the fact that it does work.

I just feel that it's more or less half-***** in comparison to the 360/PS3 version in terms of content. It couldn't have been difficult in any way to add hub worlds, no amount of lesser data could stall that on a Wii which is powerful enough to supply it. But that ain't the only gripe. But hey, oh wellz~

To each their own. ^^ Wii was good in it's own way, but I don't feel cheated out of anything on the 360/PS3 version.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I wonder if 360/PS3 users are going to get the Cray Castle stage. It better not be a scrapped stage.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I love this game!

The daytime levels are extremely fun, in my opinion.

The werehog levels are fun, just not as much to me. I prefer daytime over nighttime, but eh.

The only thing I dislike is having to collect medals in order to progress. While it in no way reduces the fun of the game, I'd rather be able to continue on without it; I have only made it to Empire City. I have Adabat (I might have gotten the name confused), but not enough sun medals to access the daytime level. :( It's a real pain and I haven't found enough medals and honestly do not know where to look. That's the only turn-off for me, but only a slight one.

I was happy to see hud worlds return like they were in Sonic Adventure (1), except not quite as large. This game is awesome, and once I FINALLY get to continue it after collecting more medals, I assume it'll get eve awesome-er.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, sun and moon medals through off the game's pacing.

Just make sure you collect all the medals in the hub worlds since they'll be the easiest to find.

Dark Mew

Smash Cadet
I just wish that I had the 360/PS3 version over the Wii because of the hub worlds and the Empire City stage. I've always wanted to play Empire City ever since I saw it on Youtube. :/ Oh, well... But I'm just fine with the Wii. ^^

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
The Wii does not have the Empire City stage??? :/ That stage is fun!

Does anyone have any.. idk, tips for Shamar's day stage.. I completely suck at that level.. I have an E ranking.. E!!! I always smack the people in the streets or something.. :/

And still haven't reached Adabats. :p

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Thanks I hope it does..

On an unrelated note, I have Sonic Rush and didn't see any topics for it so I'll ask my q. here: How do you get a quick start at the beginning of a level for any who have the game?

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate
PS3/360 version > Wii version

Two more levels, down loadable content, faster, longer etc.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I finished the Wii version last night, and I'm pretty happy with it, although the night sections are too frequent, especially later on in the game. However, they could have put standard attacks to the left and right d-pad as an alternative of swinging your arms around like a madman. I also found out (which cost me around 4 lives) that when you swing on the little hooks that come out of the wall, you will always travel up unless you spin round once then jump, which makes no sense.

The daytime stages were fun, but slightly difficult to control. It feels like they've weakened Sonic's turning speed so that you would use drift and quick step, which aren't that reliable a lot of the time. However, the daytime stages were some of the most fun Sonic stages I've played in a while. Unlike previous 3D Sonic games, especially Heroes, the daytime stages don't take over 10 minutes to complete, which is good.

To those who have played the final level,
Did anyone else find the time trial for Eggmanland stupidly difficult?

In conclusion, I really enjoyed this game, but I didn't like the fact that the Werehog was had the most prominent role.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Eggmanland is not a spoiler. Sega even confirmed the stage before its release.

The time trial for Eggmanland on the 360/PS3 versions were easy. The only hard part about it is not dying.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is how it went when I tried to play this game...

Cutscene: **** **** **** I HATE CHIP.
Day level: This is... awesome! Did Sega actually do something right with Sonic?!
Night level: I hate this... *stops playing*

The night levels were so terrible that I wouldn't even sit through the first one just to play another awesome day stage.

IntegraDC2rawkr

Smash Cadet
never played it.But i spoiled myself already watching the cutscenes at youtube.always been wondering if this is a good sonic game since other ones were werent really good while the last good sonic game was adventure battle 2.

Want Chocolate?(Chip)lol

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
This is how it went when I tried to play this game...

Cutscene: **** **** **** I HATE CHIP.
Day level: This is... awesome! Did Sega actually do something right with Sonic?!
Night level: I hate this... *stops playing*

The night levels were so terrible that I wouldn't even sit through the first one just to play another awesome day stage.

Then you are an idiot blinded by fanboyism.

Seriously, the nightime levels are great, because they actually have platforming. Uh, sonic was a platformer last time I checked, so some....uh... platforming should probably be in? (The sonic levels have too little platforming, but are still awesome.)

In short: you are a ******** fanboy piece of s**t.

Omis

my friends were skinny

Seriously, the nightime levels are great, because they actually have platforming. Uh, sonic was a platformer last time I checked, so some....uh... platforming should probably be in? (The sonic levels have too little platforming, but are still awesome.)

obvious troll is obvious

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Yeah, nighttime levels have platforming. Does it save them from being reptitive, boring, generic, and just kind of stupid? Nope. The nighttime levels are absolutely terrible. Not to mention that I got the Wii version, so it has more stick-waggle than Wario Ware.

I don't like the game and I'm a fanboy? I think you're the fanboy here.

I hate trolls.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

I don't follow your logic whatsoever. You're the one defending the overtly flawed werehog levels, and Skyler's the one who's a fanboy?

True enough, the night levels aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but I still find them woefully unfun. And I don't think that makes me or anyone else who shares that opinion a fanboy. If anything, just the opposite.

EDIT: I'm a slow mofo.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974

El oh el.

Ironic how the guy being flamed for having his own opinion on the game, and not liking it as the other expects him to is the guy being called the fanboy.

I mean, seriously. First of all, Sonic IS a platformer. But it's more of a daytime-style platformer than a nighttime-style platformer. It was about occasional enemies, running, jumping over gaps, jumping onto platforms...all done quickly. Not getting combos on enemies, missing jumps because Sonic won't go far enough...etc. If you liked the nighttime levels, good for you. But don't be a god**** fanboy and flame the crap out of anyone who actually doesn't like it. A fanboy unconditionally loves something and will not accept other people of another opinion. Also known as elitists. Simply disliking a game? Not even close to fanboy qualifications.

Second of all, seriously Chagen -- I think I've seen you in ONE topic where you weren't being an utter jerk. Chill already.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, nighttime levels have platforming. Does it save them from being reptitive, boring, generic, and just kind of stupid? Nope. The nighttime levels are absolutely terrible. Not to mention that I got the Wii version, so it has more stick-waggle than Wario Ware.

I don't like the game and I'm a fanboy? I think you're the fanboy here.

I hate trolls.
I don't follow your logic whatsoever. You're the one defending the overtly flawed werehog levels, and Skyler's the one who's a fanboy?

True enough, the night levels aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, but I still find them woefully unfun. And I don't think that makes me or anyone else who shares that opinion a fanboy. If anything, just the opposite.

EDIT: I'm a slow mofo.

Your idiocy exceeds my expectations.

The werehog levels are great. Seriously, they aren't flawed in anyway, and you guys are just trying to find something to ***** about, just like any piece of s**t fanboy these days that grew up on the original sonics.

What makes them flawed?

The platforming? If you have trouble pressing "B" or "A", you are an idiot. And come on, *****ing about platforming in a platforming game?

You people take ******** fanboyism to a whole new level.

Is it the combat? I've only played the 360 version, so I cant tallk about the apperant waggle-fest, but there is virtually no flaws in the comat, besides an overall lack of moves.

I abhor people like you.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Your idiocy exceeds my expectations.

The werehog levels are great. Seriously, they aren't flawed in anyway, and you guys are just trying to find something to ***** about, just like any piece of s**t fanboy these days that grew up on the original sonics.

What makes them flawed?

The platforming? If you have trouble pressing "B" or "A", you are an idiot. And come on, *****ing about platforming in a platforming game?

You people take ******** fanboyism to a whole new low.

Is it the combat? I've only played the 360 version, so I cant tallk about the apperant waggle-fest, but there is virtually no flaws in the comat, besides an overall lack of moves.

I abhor people like you.
I don't understand why you're being so insulting. You abhor people like me (whatever you think "people like me" are)? Don't you think that's kind of strong? I said nothing nearly as offensive to you.

Anyway, you misunderstand the problem that I (and I assume most people) find in the werehog levels. It's not that I "have trouble pressing 'B' or 'A'." It's that the levels, regardless of simplicity or difficulty, are just lifeless. I find no satisfaction in mashing buttons in the middle of a swarm of baddies. There's no thought involved in it, and it takes forever. When the daytime levels are as fun as they are, I don't want to have to muddle through tidal waves of cronies with a lumbering hulk of a hedgehog. It's just prolonging me from what I really want out of the game—enjoyment.

EDIT: To try and put this another way....

Say you bought a new Legend of Zelda game. You bought the game because you like solving puzzles in dungeons and sword fighting and riding horses and all that good stuff. Now imagine if, in this Zelda game, you were forced to start playing Halo every time you solved a room in a dungeon. And you couldn't go back to that dungeon until you'd finished whatever Halo mission has been presented to you. Would you enjoy that? Even if you don't mind Halo, it just isn't the game you want to be playing. You bought Zelda. That's what you want to play. So how fair is it that half of your game is Halo instead?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Technically, people play Sonic to go really, really fast; platforming elements can be secondary. Sonic was never a great 3D platformer. I haven't played unleashed yet, but every (3D) Sonic game I've played has killed me at least a couple dozen times with frustrating controls and inhibitting camera angles.

Top Bottom