• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

Darkslash

Smash Master
Uhh please tell me that either

A)MetaCritic has gone crazy on me
B)I'm crazy
C)All of the above
D)The Wii version is ACTUALLY GOOD?!?!?
E)both C&E

Metacritic's scores on Sonic Unleashed say the Wii version is better!?!?!?!?
:crazy:
Xbox 360 average: 65
Xbox 360 user score:8.1
Xbox 360 Source

Now Get This

Wii average:72
Wii User Score: 8.9
Wii Source

The Internet now scares me.....heck Call of Duty World at War Metacritic Score is off by 1 point. The Wii got 83 and the Xbox 360 got 84...that scary.

Well it seems that the Internet says get the Wii version...that creeps me the **** out. I actually & honestly thought the Wii would get the lowest score out of every version.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Uhh please tell me that either

A)MetaCritic has gone crazy on me
B)I'm crazy
C)All of the above
D)The Wii version is ACTUALLY GOOD?!?!?
E)both C&E

Metacritic's scores on Sonic Unleashed say the Wii version is better!?!?!?!?
:crazy:
Xbox 360 average: 65
Xbox 360 user score:8.1
Xbox 360 Source

Now Get This

Wii average:72
Wii Source

The Internet now scares me.....heck Call of Duty World at War Metacritic Score is off by 1 point. The Wii got 83 and the Xbox 360 got 84...that scary.

Well it seems that the Internet says get the Wii version...that creeps me the **** out. I actually thought the Wii would get the lowest score out of every version.
So instead of the Wii version being a crappy PS2 port, this time its the Xbox360 version being a crappy PS3 port!:laugh:

D

Deleted member

I actually thought the Wii would get the lowest score out of every version.
Didn't everybody think that? Anyway, I'm shocked. I'm might get the 360 version anyway, since the only game I have for it is GHWT.:ohwell:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
IMO, I think the 360 version is better due to more stages, hubs, and graphics.

But hey, I don't own either of them and I haven't played them yet. So don't take my word for it right now. I'm going to be picking up SU tomorrow or on Wednesday for the 360.

(I'm not a fanboy, I just want the best Sonic experience.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
Is it true that the Xbox 360 versions have more stages? I kinda find that hard to believe unless the 360 uses a new game disc. If i remember the 360 uses DVD's. Because the Wii disc is just a DVD shouldn't they have the same every thing?

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Good thing they gave it an 8.9.

An 8.8 is the worst score in historyy. MIRITE or MIRITE?

Anyway, multiplatform Sonic games are usually best on Nintendo systems. Sonic Heroes proves that by a long shot.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Is it true that the Xbox 360 versions have more stages? I kinda find that hard to believe unless the 360 uses a new game disc. If i remember the 360 uses DVD's. Because the Wii disc is just a DVD shouldn't they have the same every thing?
On GameFAQs, I've heard that Mazuri and Empire City are the two areas that aren't on the Wii version.
(Well, the Wii does have Mazuri, but it's only a boss fight)
Hopefully I'm not misinformed.

Maybe going to the forums on GameFAQs will give you all the info you need.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Different teams make different version of the game. The 360/PS3 team made extra levels, so they're included into those versions. The Wii team either didn't get around to porting those levels down to the Wii or didn't find them important enough to bother. It's a normal part of game development, especially this generation.

Anyways, the game is going to be terrible, all of the Sonic games of recent past have been, everyone just needs to accept that the Sonic franchise has been killed and move along.

And you bring up Call of Duty too much.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Actually, I've heard that the parts where you play as running Sonic feel very satisfying and fun, and if Sega were to just not have any Werehog gameplay whatsoever, this game might've been a signal of Sonic's return.

Unfortunately, I've heard that there are way to many Werehog levels and nowhere near enough running levels. If this game were to have ditched that concept altogether, I really think that Sonic wouldn't be considered a dead franchise right now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Anyways, the game is going to be terrible, all of the Sonic games of recent past have been, everyone just needs to accept that the Sonic franchise has been killed and move along.
Hope just pretty much screwed you over didn't it? =/

iMichael

Smash Lord
I hear this game would be good if it weren't for the Werehog parts in the game. Sega was on point until someone came up with that idea lol

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Really? Glad I'm going for the 360 version then. Originally I just wanted better graphics and fewer dropped frames. Just one more reason to avoid the Wii version.
I heard the werehog sections in the 360 version lag horribly when there are only more than a few enemies on screen.

Edit: not realizing there are about 3 pages you missed ftw?

Anyway, the PS360 version would be better IF:

-The stupid stupid stupid hub worlds weren't in.
-The Tornadeo minigame is a nightmare and should have never been concieved.
-Yeah, that's about it

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Anyway, multiplatform Sonic games are usually best on Nintendo systems. Sonic Heroes proves that by a long shot.

You got that right, I was at a major dissapointment when I first played Sonic Heroes and Shadow The Hedgehog on Gamecube, and all of a sudden I thought for some reason it would have been even better on PS2, but ironically it was slower (with lots of lag) which made me angry. :mad:

I plan to get this soon, just as long as it's not as bad as Sonic & The Secret Rings which I hear has very bad ratings.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
In my honest opinion the game should receive a score of 8 at least on the Wii. This game is THE best looking game I have played on this system and its is in the top tier in graphics as far as the Wii is concerned. This game's cutscenes however, are on a totally different tier than every other Wii game. They kick butt.

The musical selection is quite good. Honestly, I would put it as being as good as De Blob's (even if they are in different genres of music) and Unleashed gets extra points for having a sound test to boot.

Gameplay is great as far as the daytime stages are concerned. The night stages are okay, but repetitive, but even if there are more night stages than day stages, I don't think they alone could knock this well made game down to anything lower than an 8. By the way, I am not a Sonic fanboy, but it is not justifiable to put this game at anything lower than a 8 especially factoring everything OTHER than gameplay.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
...So this game is pretty terrible.
If you are talking about the 360/PS3 versions, than maybe, I don't know. But the Wii version is pretty fun. The night levels are not all that bad; their biggest problem is that they drag on too much compared to the day stages.

But, generally with Wii games, the higher the production values, the better the gameplay will be. Sonic Unleashed is not what will bring Sonic back to his glory days, but it is by no means terrible. It's at least good.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got this game for the 360 yesterday. I haven't popped it in yet due to work.
Can't wait to try it.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
I just rented the 360 version of the game.

My god, this game is incredible.

First, the running stages are just jaw-dropping awesome. The sense of speed blows every other sonic game out the water, and the graphics are just amazing--See "Rooftop run" if you don't believe me. I was just having too much fun playing those.

Okay, here comes the big one (Puts up flame-shield):

I liked the werehog levels.

No, I did. They're a nice change of pace form the running levels, even if they are a little too long. (It takes,like, 20+ minutes to beat them the first time you go through). Granted, the combat is a little simplistic, but the joy of kicking the crap out of tons of baddies is pretty high. The platforming is solid, even if the puzzles are simple.

And the music.

Oh, GOD, the music in this game is just awesome. I have yet to find a single song I HAVEN'T liked. This makes SU the first game where I like the WHOLE soundtrack. That soundtrack is just unbelievable.

Yes, while I haved praised the game alot, It deserves it. The sonic stages are awesome, and the werehog stages were pretty good. Add an amazing soundtrack and some wicked graphics, and you can see why I love this game.

Score:7.8

Roihu

Smash Ace
I just rented the 360 version of the game.

My god, this game is incredible.

First, the running stages are just jaw-dropping awesome. The sense of speed blows every other sonic game out the water, and the graphics are just amazing--See "Rooftop run" if you don't believe me. I was just having too much fun playing those.

Okay, here comes the big one (Puts up flame-shield):

I liked the werehog levels.

No, I did. They're a nice change of pace form the running levels, even if they are a little too long. (It takes,like, 20+ minutes to beat them the first time you go through). Granted, the combat is a little simplistic, but the joy of kicking the crap out of tons of baddies is pretty high. The platforming is solid, even if the puzzles are simple.

And the music.

Oh, GOD, the music in this game is just awesome. I have yet to find a single song I HAVEN'T liked. This makes SU the first game where I like the WHOLE soundtrack. That soundtrack is just unbelievable.

Yes, while I haved praised the game alot, It deserves it. The sonic stages are awesome, and the werehog stages were pretty good. Add an amazing soundtrack and some wicked graphics, and you can see why I love this game.

Score:7.8
Jeez, for that much praise and no negative comments, it sure did get a low score.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Because it's post-Dreamcast Sonic game. What did you expect? Even the GOOD ones get low scores. lol

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, for that much praise and no negative comments, it sure did get a low score.

I should've mentioned that the werehog level were too long and that the combat was a little simplistic.

The real reason I gave it a 7.8 was because I didn't want people to think I'm a biased fanboy.

M.K

Level 55
I should've mentioned that the werehog level were too long and that the combat was a little simplistic.

The real reason I gave it a 7.8 was because I didn't want people to think I'm a biased fanboy.
LOL

That'd be like me eating a huge steak to prove I'm a vegetarian.
I'm not a vegetarian, Steak for Sonic Tier.

Anyways, I've gotta try this game. It looks pretty fun....

Roihu

Smash Ace

Stupid reason, tbh.
You should rate it on what you think it should be rated.

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, the whole "Werehog" thing was just a huge turn-off. From what I've read on IGN and various other websites, it sounds like there is actually more of this than the running stages that just look awful fun. It just bugs me that Sega has pretty much taken two steps forward and one step back. If this game had more of that core, Sonic gameplay, I would possibly consider picking it up, but the gimmick's just make it undesirable.

From your review, a 7.8 just doesn't reflect what was addressed in the review. You can give a decent score without sounding like a fanboy. People would typically associate a fanboy with giving out multiple 10's or 9's very easily without depth. A score alone won't determine if you're a fanboy, but a score that doesn't reflect the review looks foolish. If you have problem with it, mark it down. If you have no problems, look more in depth and see if there is anything that could be improved. You'd be suprised by how well people respond.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
ewggergrghrthtrhr review of the Wii version because I'm bored. >_>

The daytime stages are simply incredible. It comes extremely close to being a formula that actually works, the only thing being that Sonic is still hard to control at times, but that becomes less agrivating with practice.

The lack of "actual" platforming is, in all probability, a good thing. Intricate platforming with this kind of control would be a nightmare. You can barely platform accurately with the large and slow werehog.

Speaking of which, the werehog stages aren't that bad, but the problem with them lies in that there are way too freaking many and last far too long for comfort. It messes up the pace of the game immensely. In addition, they all share the same formula: swing from polls, beat up a few nameless and boring enemies by mashing the buttons, jump across a few platforms. And as mentioned before, the platforming is very innacurate and slippery. What seems like a simple and easy jump could and probably will send you to your death.

Additionally, the "hubs" are completely useless and were just put in to lengthen the game.

If Sonic Team were to make the game with daytime stages only, the game would be fantastic instead of decent. Instead, they added a slow, stupid abomination that is the exact opposite of everything Sonic.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I actually had time to play my copy of the 360 version.

Here's my thoughts:

Daytime stages are amazing. The stages are challenging in a good way. Most of your deaths are your own fault, so there's nothing cheap like the older 3D Sonic games that kill you.

Night stages are mediocre. They get a little repetitive and are a tad too long. They're not terrible, but they feel a little out of place.

Compared to the Wii version, I've noticed little differences here and there aside from different daytime stages. Dodging the missiles when you're fighting Eggman at Mazuri is different for both versions for some odd reason. The RPG mini game/parody at Spagonia was removed also in the 360 version.

I just finished Holsaka (sp?) and that's how far I got. I really like the game, but they could've done more to improve it. Not too bad of a game after Sonic '06.

While I really love this game, I actually give it a 7.5. Hopefully I'll like it even more when I get further.
BTW, the game looks amazing on my HD TV.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Not too bad of a game after Sonic '06.
I know this is kind of off-topic but I HAVE to ask...

What was so bad about Sonic '06 that everyone seems to act like it's the devil in video game form?
I own the game, beat the game, and loved it save for some flaws...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I know this is kind of off-topic but I HAVE to ask...

What was so bad about Sonic '06 that everyone seems to act like it's the devil in video game form?
I own the game, beat the game, and loved it save for some flaws...
I'm just saying that they had time to fix load times and glitches in this game. This is the first 3D Sonic game I've played without any glitches so far. So I'm not trying to single out '06.

I haven't played '06 yet, but I'm going to pick it up later for fun.

Oh, and I'm going to admit that I suck during the flying portions and the Werehog portions of the game so far. I'm a little slow when they have certain buttons displayed. I'm new to the 360, so I keep mixing the buttons up like an SNES controller.

Top Bottom