• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I am fully aware of how SEGA and others think speed equals automatic victory. Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure had waaaay too much focus on speed alone, and little on platforming, which is why I ultimately did not really enjoy them. I think the complaints about the lack of speed started with Sonic '06.

I guess we'll see if it's all speed when some actual werehog gameplay is revealed. That could be the traditional platforming, or it could be a huge screw-up.

BioWare, well, to say the least it is famous for its RPGs, most of which are for the computer.
I wouldn't give a Wiki-link usually, but seeing as how its just a list of games they've made, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare#Games

It is safe to assume that Sonic Chronicles is in the right hands, butits not gauranteed.

As for you coming off as very angry, you did somewhat, but not that much. I am angry at the direction Sonic has headed as well, and am tired with the dissapointments, so I am, like I said, cautiously approaching this game.

Also, I don't think I used enough commas.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I am fully aware of how SEGA and others think speed equals automatic victory. Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure had waaaay too much focus on speed alone, and little on platforming, which is why I ultimately did not really enjoy them. I think the complaints about the lack of speed started with Sonic '06.

I guess we'll see if it's all speed when some actual werehog gameplay is revealed. That could be the traditional platforming, or it could be a huge screw-up.

BioWare, well, to say the least it is famous for its RPGs, most of which are for the computer.
I wouldn't give a Wiki-link usually, but seeing as how its just a list of games they've made, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare#Games

It is safe to assume that Sonic Chronicles is in the right hands, butits not gauranteed.

As for you coming off as very angry, you did somewhat, but not that much. I am angry at the direction Sonic has headed as well, and am tired with the dissapointments, so I am, like I said, cautiously approaching this game.

Also, I don't think I used enough commas.
Ah, well, I never played Sonic '06, except for the demo. Speed seemed okay to me, but then again, that was just one level.

As for the werehog...gah, don't even get me started on that. Sonic has one alternate form; Super/Hyper Sonic. That's it. No Darkspine or Werehog. That's one thing right off the bat that takes away a lot of promise from the game.

Even if BioWare is famous for its RPGs (thanks for the link, by the way), Sonic isn't supposed to be an RPG. Even if it's a good game in general, it's going to be horrible for Sonic because Sonic is just not RPG. And the fact that we have a new character that looks like a fusion of Shadow and NiGHTS doesn't exactly look promising. Another bad thing about Secret Rings; since when does Sonic have abilities like that?

As for the commas, I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious, but either way, I think the commas are fine.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Sonic RPG could be good and good for Sonic. Mario RPG is one of my favourite RPGs of all time. However, the Sonic RPG seems to be taking itself way too seriously so I'm having my doubts. Even the name sets off warning bells "Chronicles of the Dark Brotherhood" was it?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sonic RPG could be good and good for Sonic. Mario RPG is one of my favourite RPGs of all time. However, the Sonic RPG seems to be taking itself way too seriously so I'm having my doubts. Even the name sets off warning bells "Chronicles of the Dark Brotherhood" was it?
In this day and age, I don't think any Sonic game can be good unless they manage to pull a serious 180. And honestly, the last thing Sonic needs is a spinoff right now. Some franchises manage to have a spinoff like this, and manage to make it good--I don't think Sonic can, since he's not had a good game in forever and, well...the last thing we need for Sonic now (again) is yet another character, or even worse, a bad guy.

But yeah, it's definitely taking itself too seriously.

I'm still inclined to say that it's not going to be good. Unless it gets rave reviews from people that I know would have retro Sonic in mind and have actually reliable reviews (unlike Nintendo Power, who raved about Mario Galaxy and it even won Game of the Year in the magazine, but really was a poor game, in my opinion--Metroid Prime 3 should've won that, and should've at least gotten NOMINATED for the music award. That's just stupid, I have the whole soundtrack on my iPod. Meanwhile, Mario Galaxy's music just sounds like Disney music, not fitting for any video game at all, in my opinion.), most likely people here, then I won't even bother renting it.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I don't think Mario Galaxy is a good example as you're definitely in the minority on that one. Nintendo Power isn't the only one who thought of Galaxy as the game of the year last year, or soundtrack of the year. I know quite a few people on other forums I frequent (most notably NeoGAF) who thought Galaxy's soundtrack was the best in years.

I think it's most likely because you liked the atmospheric tunes of Prime 3 over the sort of whimsical, and as you noted more kid-like, tones of Galaxy. I preferred Prime 3 over Galaxy as well, but I definitely see what people saw in the game.

I think RPG is fine right now, especially as it's by Bioware. Sonic Team should really just look at what they're doing wrong though. Or change their name. I mean, the key people that created the franchise aren't even at Sega and the man who should be creditted with making the games fun left long ago and is hardly even known.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't think Mario Galaxy is a good example as you're definitely in the minority on that one. Nintendo Power isn't the only one who thought of Galaxy as the game of the year last year, or soundtrack of the year. I know quite a few people on other forums I frequent (most notably NeoGAF) who thought Galaxy's soundtrack was the best in years.

I think it's most likely because you liked the atmospheric tunes of Prime 3 over the sort of whimsical, and as you noted more kid-like, tones of Galaxy. I preferred Prime 3 over Galaxy as well, but I definitely see what people saw in the game.
I know quite a few people who agree with me, so I'm not sure if I'm a minority. Not necessarily a MAJORITY, but I don't think I'm alone in this. Obviously a lot of people like the music and pure gameplay of Galaxy, but the camera was obnxious, the music did NOT EVEN SOUND LIKE VIDEO GAME MUSIC (listen to the Good Egg Galaxy's music and TELL ME that doesn't sound like it's straight out of a Disney movie), whilst Prime 3 had awesome music. Some epic, some creepy, some pure beautiful (Skytown's music is awesome)...even if it didn't win the award, I'm shocked and upset that NP didn't even NOMINATE it. And I still don't believe that Prime 2 got a game of the year and Prime 3, which was better, didn't. Prime 2 was good, but Prime 3 was a little better in my opinion. I just...ARGH! You're probably right and I probably am a minority, but of all the things that I think, this is one of the things I cannot believe I'm actually practically alone on. Galaxy's music was nothing I'd commend. Galaxy was nothing I'd commend. It's like they're brainwashed (as I used to be) to say "ZOMG NEW GAME FOR A FRANCHISE THAT HAS BEEN GOOD, IT MUST BE AWESOME!111!!!!ONE!11ONE11!!!!"

I mean hell, MP3 won TWO awards, Sound and Best Shooter/Action game. Graphics are the only award I'd give Galaxy. Well, and Best Platformer but the other options are bad. Also, off-topic; what the heck was with the awards? The readers didn't even get to pick, NP was like "No, we want this. We're going to make this win anyways." They did that on 7 categories. And they were even upset because poor Galaxy only won 50% of the votes. Morons.

Even if that's not a good example, take NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. I'm pretty sure the consensus on that is that it wasn't a good game, yet Nintendo Power was commending it for being just what was expected. Awful game.

/NP hate

(By the way, if I come off really angry, I'm not angry at you or trying to yell at you. It shouldn't come off that way, but just in case it is...I'm not.)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
IMO (not a big sonic fan) Sonic Unleashed looks like a good game. The only thing I would want them to really do is to make it like a classic game and a new game. I mean this as in kind of like SMG, it kept that same exciting feeling you get when you play a Mario game except with better graphics. That is all I ask for the new sonic game. No spinoffs, SONIC DOES NOT RUN WELL WITH SPINOFFS(no pun intended)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I was definitely not keen on the idea of a Sonic RPG to begin with, but Sonic has kind of driven its roots far too deep in the ground; you can barely even see the tree. Every now and then, we need a twist to a game series - to divert from the norm. Yeah, I know Sonic has kind of diverted in the past ten years, but its still retained the orbiting around speed and running, etc, etc. Stylistically, it has not changed much either (everything changes between 2D and 3D, so that argument is void). I don't know if I'm going to purchase Dark Brotherhood, but I have to give BioWare credit for taking on such a... devious task.

Personally, I'd like to see the Zelda games take off in a completely different direction. I would love to see a Zelda racing or RTS game.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Oh crap. I'm about to hit the Yellow Circle.

Why?
New Sonic Unleashed info revealed in Portugese magazine

by Chris on July 3rd, 2008

MaxiConsolas, a popular Portugese video game magazine, has published a new Sonic Unleashed preview this month with some juicy new tidbits about the hotly anticipated title. The preview revealed that, like in Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic’s abilities will be able to be improved through experience points gained throughout the game.

The magazine also confirmed that Sonic’s other friends, including Tails, will be playable during mini-games throughout the game. Other locales that will be present in the game will New York and China.

In their impressions of the game, they were impressed with the camera and how the Hedgehog Engine handles the transitions between 2D and 3D, but they noted some noticeable slowdown at some points.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
So Sonic gets power ups when he progresses through the story mode. Big deal. Stuff like that been happening since Sonic Adventure 1.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Aw man...

And another thing. The Wii version has been confirmed to not run on the Hedgehog engine. What the ****, Sega?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I was definitely not keen on the idea of a Sonic RPG to begin with, but Sonic has kind of driven its roots far too deep in the ground; you can barely even see the tree. Every now and then, we need a twist to a game series - to divert from the norm. Yeah, I know Sonic has kind of diverted in the past ten years, but its still retained the orbiting around speed and running, etc, etc. Stylistically, it has not changed much either (everything changes between 2D and 3D, so that argument is void). I don't know if I'm going to purchase Dark Brotherhood, but I have to give BioWare credit for taking on such a... devious task.

Personally, I'd like to see the Zelda games take off in a completely different direction. I would love to see a Zelda racing or RTS game.
Sonic's so bad now, I don't think anything can be good for it. Trying to revert back to his roots has failed more times than I would've thought possible, new games have failed (Heroes and Shadow), and...agh, it's just failing all over.

Shadow the Hedgehog was a spinoff. Look how well that turned out. I don't see an RPG helping it any more. *Sigh* If games these days were allowed to be simple as they used to be, they might actually succeed. The simplicity of the original Sonic games was great. Maybe Sega will wise up and try a 2D Sonic for WiiWare, and they'll make it like the originals, simple, since WiiWare titles are allowed to do that.

So Sonic gets power ups when he progresses through the story mode. Big deal. Stuff like that been happening since Sonic Adventure 1.
No. They said "Like Sonic and the Secret Rings". Sonic and the Secret Rings had an awful system for that. It was just stupid. Light Shoes are fine. Customizable abilities, NO.

After getting my Nintendo Power and reading more about Unleashed, I'm even less (if possible) inclined to even try the game. Branching paths will be accessed by BUTTON COMBOS? You know what this means, right? Constant movement, most likely. Also, what kind of game has button combos for branching paths? Honestly! Sonic is the only playable character as of now. NO! Tails and Knuckles are FINE! This is just set up to be Sonic and the Secret Rings: The Even Worse Sequel. Sonic having to save himself is referred to at some point in the interview. It's obvious that he's saving himself if he's saving the world, but the fact that it's brought up separately makes me think it's like that curse in Secret Rings. Boss Battles using the Wiimote...sounds like a whole ton of "innovative" crap. "Sense of speed" is brought up again. Um, the originals never focused on that. After replaying Sonic 1-3 as well as & Knuckles, I got very little sense of speed. You get speed at some points, but you're slowing down a lot. Constant speed = a failed attempt (and I mean REALLY FAILED) at bringing Sonic back to his roots.

Also, Super Sonic being brought up again made me realize something; whatever happened to Super Sonic? It used to be collecting Chaos Emeralds was like collecting the Pokedex in Pokemon. You didn't HAVE to do it, but if you did, it was fully beating the game. Now it's required, and Super Sonic is a final battle character. I love the thrill of working hard in the Special Stages to get the Chaos Emeralds, then building up those 50 Rings and turning into Super Sonic. Now Super Sonic has been removed from active gameplay. A disappointment if you ask me.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I hear good news that the only playable character is sonic
Why is this good news? This doesn't necessarily bring Sonic back to his roots. Having more than one selectable character is not a foreign concept to Sonic, or good Sonic. Sonic 3 & Knuckles pulled it off very well, I don't see why it necessarily has to have only Sonic to be good. As long as they stop adding more characters with psychic abilities, and remove morons like Silver and Blaze, we'll be fine.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
the game changes from 2-D to 3-D. It says so in Nintendo Power
Well, "2D" used lightly. If it switches from 2D to 3D, it's not really 2D, it's just sidescrolling. "2D" is almost definitely just a term to reel in old fans. This sounds like another desperate attempt to take it back to Sonic's roots.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I think that this is actually going to be a good Sonic game! I'm excited!
These days, the phrase "Good Sonic game" is an oxymoron. At the first announcement of the game, it sounded interesting (although I was still skeptical). Now it sounds like, once again, they're trying too hard and have screwed it up.

I've always been skeptical about Unleashed, but it was mostly as a precaution. Now I can say with almost 100% certainty that this is going to be yet another failure. Maybe better than Secret Rings.

By the way, I think I just realized a Werehog reference. In the NP interview, they speak of the beginning of the game. I'll quote it.

NP: Can you talk a little bit about the game's story and how it ties in to previous Sonic games, if at all?
Yoshihisa Hashimoto: In what might seem like the climax in any other adventure, this title begins with a scene where Sonic stands face-to-face with Dr. Eggman. Dr. Eggman traps Super Sonic, which is Sonic transformed through the power of the Chaos Emeralds, and uses the tremendous energy from the Emeralds to awaken a being living in the planet. This greatly affects both the planet and Sonic. From there, Sonic sets off on a journey to save not only the world but also himself. This title is a new page added to his various aventures and doesn't have much to do directly with his past adventures.
While quoting that, I realized that there are actually two places that could possibly be referencing it. But I think one is more likely.

The being living in the planet could be the Werehog. Maybe it's not Sonic and it's like a dark version of Sonic type thing.
But I think the more likely thing is the "save not only the world but also himself". Maybe he gets affected by this in that...

OH MY GOD. HANG ON. Total epiphany moment.

During the interview, they make a few references to significant gameplay change from day to night. Werehog anyone? They say that there is a CLEAR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DAY AND NIGHT STAGES. It'll be day stage, Sonic. Night stage, Werehog. Notice also that, despite references to nighttime, there are no nighttime screenshots in NP...

I can't believe it took me that long to figure that out.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Meh. So great, now instead of being a part, Werehog is the sole, big thing about the gamel.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Don't jump to conclusions. I think it was just Sega trying to have fun. I thought it was funny.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh, come on.

...you should know by now that I always jump to conclusions.
I've become accustomed to assuming the worst.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I know you do, but don't people normally point out how this might not be so bad to you?

But yeah. They better not make the Werehog to important.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Werehog gameplay goes at a speed just under what I'd want in a Sonic game. Sadly, the combat system is one of the most un-Sonic things I've ever seen. This game will blow =(

Puddin

Smash Lord
Werehog gameplay goes at a speed just under what I'd want in a Sonic game. Sadly, the combat system is one of the most un-Sonic things I've ever seen. This game will blow =(
Isn't Sonics combat system jumping on people?

/sarcasm

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
The new werehog thing seems to be looking really stupid. I'm not sure if I want this game, thus making this the first real sonic game I haven't gotten (not counting the 360 and Ps3 sonic the hedgehog). It just dosen't seem like a sonic game anymore...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I know you do, but don't people normally point out how this might not be so bad to you?

But yeah. They better not make the Werehog to important.
I am already fairly certain the Werehog will be important. If you saw my epiphany on the previous page, I'm fairly certain that

A) This is some condition that Sonic has received and is "trying to save himself" from
B) ALL nighttime stages will be with the Werehog

In fact, I will assume that this is true unless I'm proven wrong. It fits PERFECTLY. The guy in the interview kept saying that he couldn't reveal this big gameplay change, etc. etc. and...it just fits.

The new werehog thing seems to be looking really stupid. I'm not sure if I want this game, thus making this the first real sonic game I haven't gotten (not counting the 360 and Ps3 sonic the hedgehog). It just dosen't seem like a sonic game anymore...
Same for me, except excluding Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure as well. Although that's more of a "I haven't gotten around to it" than "I don't want to buy it". In any case, yeah, unless it turns out to be a lot better than it looks, I'm definitely not buying it.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Well I hope you guys are happy. Just like Sonic and the Secret Rings, the only playable character is Sonic himself.

Darn...I wanna play as Shadow or Espio. This is depressing...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well I hope you guys are happy. Just like Sonic and the Secret Rings, the only playable character is Sonic himself.

Darn...I wanna play as Shadow or Espio. This is depressing...
What do you mean "you guys"? I want Sonic to return to his roots but I certainly didn't ask for this. Sonic shouldn't be the only playable character, that's just stupid.

But Shadow...he can die. He should've stayed dead in SA2, and I still would've liked him.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
We got another surprise coming our way~

They've done it again.
There is now a 75% chance that Unleashed will be rushed so that development of this game can begin. :urg:

and let's count the number of unreleased Sonic games that are now confirmed:

Unleashed
Chronicles
Black Knight

Seriously, Sonic is starting to be milked more than Mario.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
EPIC BUMP

Some new details about the the Wii version of Unleashed.

o Half of the game normal, the other half were-hog
o Wii-PS360 more similar than first thought, design and gameplay-wise
o You use Wiimote + Nunchuck
o Won't have motion controls for attacking from the air, despite of being pretty similar to The Secret Rings
o Some problems controlling Sonic at a low speed. Walking for rings, etc
o Wiimote just for accelerate-push
o No motion controls for side-step, you'll use B and Z, like on 360
o Don't know if they're using for balancing ropes or QTEs, but they should!
o According to SEGA, the game (Wii version) should be shown in the upcoming TGS, in October.
o Not showing the Black Night because of focusing on this one first.

More info about Sonic Unleashed

Top Bottom