• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic Unleashed

Spire

III
BRoomer
Perhaps Sonic Unleashed will be Sega's answer to Super Mario Galaxy, since they're bringing back the classic feel of Sonic in a new and revitalizing way. I'm not too fond of the Werehog, but who knows..

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Werehog guarantees a horrible storyline.

The gameplay video, however, guaranteed fun gameplay.

~rh

Smash Lord
Werehog makes me laugh everytime I watch the trailer, or think of him rather.

This will be a good game, though. I hope.

Spin-Dash

Smash Journeyman
I just got the mental image of Sonic as the Werewolf, rushing through the night, not as fast as his hedgehog form, but crushing robots as he rushes by them and making indestructable walls his b*tch. I am DEFINITELY looking forward to Sonic Unleashed. The main Hedgehog part and the Werewolf sections both (mainly True Blue though for the win.)

This is it, guys. I can feel it. The game that we deserve from Sonic.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
While I'm not too crazy about Were-Sonic, I'd rather have that than yet another BRAND NEW hedgehog character with a mysterious past who Amy mistakes for Sonic.

~rh

Smash Lord
While I'm not too crazy about Were-Sonic, I'd rather have that than yet another BRAND NEW hedgehog character with a mysterious past who Amy mistakes for Sonic.
-cougheverysonicgamepastsonicadventureonecough-

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
We need a second Mario platformer. With the Koopalings. Giga Bowser would be the final boss, and there would be 12 major boss fights.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The video quality sucked badly, but it looked good overall. My only problem was that the game seemed a bit... linear... in that video. Even in the original Sonic games, you could always uncover a secret pathway to get more rings or an extra life.

Cat Fight

Smash Lord
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Some of you have heard the rumor of the new "Sonic Unleashed". A few screens have been leaked, and this is where all the known information is.

I have also found this image:

Werehog for SSB4!

Er, any new info is welcome.
Holy crap? Weresonic, haha... that's amazing! I heard for the Wii version it's being developed by the Sonic Rush team.

Thank god!

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
That new gameplay vid is awesome. That should have been the way Sonic's transition from 2D to 3D have been. Sega got WAY ahead of themselves with that free-roaming business. There are still some things that rub me the wrong way. But they have time. Let's hope they get rid of Were-Sonic.

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
Sonic is a werewolf! WTF?!

Link is a Wolf!

Wolf O'donnell is a wolf!(duh)

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I think the ultimate question has yet to be answered.

Do we really need another Sonic game?
No offense to you Baron, but the werehog looks Photoshoped beyond belief.
Actually, the game has already bee confirmed from Sega. They have that picture on their website.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
The trailer's music and graphics (visual style especially) are amazing.
However, Sonic's moving way too freaking fast. What's the point of all these alternate paths if you can't use them due to not being able to see them until 3 screens later?

Sonic Team should go back to the Genesis games and realize that Sonic isn't supposed to be so **** fast. Slow him down and this game has the potential to be amazing. Currently, it looks like it'll have just as many issues as the recent Sonic games.

Well, better than Sonic 06 but yeah, you know what I mean.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The trailer's music and graphics (visual style especially) are amazing.
However, Sonic's moving way too freaking fast. What's the point of all these alternate paths if you can't use them due to not being able to see them until 3 screens later?

Sonic Team should go back to the Genesis games and realize that Sonic isn't supposed to be so **** fast. Slow him down and this game has the potential to be amazing. Currently, it looks like it'll have just as many issues as the recent Sonic games.

Well, better than Sonic 06 but yeah, you know what I mean.
I never knew that somebody that can break the sound barrier running fast was such a problem.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I never knew that somebody that can break the sound barrier running fast was such a problem.
It is when it makes the game not fun. The Genesis games were a perfect balance between speed and platforming. Recent Sonic games have totally thrown away the platforming elements of the old games. It's speed, speed, and nothing else. The old games were more about building momentum than just pure speed.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Just give me the awesome soundtrack and plenty of character development and I'm good to go. ^_^

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
It is when it makes the game not fun. The Genesis games were a perfect balance between speed and platforming. Recent Sonic games have totally thrown away the platforming elements of the old games. It's speed, speed, and nothing else. The old games were more about building momentum than just pure speed.
Obviously, you never played a recent Sonic game. If you did, you would know that platforming is still in.

The ONLY recent Sonic game was just speed speed speed was Sonic Advance 2

Just give me the awesome soundtrack and plenty of character development and I'm good to go. ^_^
Character development? In my Sonic games?

Darkslash

Smash Master

Character development? In my Sonic games?
for all we now that might be a good thing lol. Sonic telling amy to piss the **** off

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
for all we now that might be a good thing lol. Sonic telling amy to piss the **** off
Frankly, I wish Sonic would tell everyone except Tails, Knuckles and Doctor Eggman/Robotnik to shove off.

I don't know, I suppose there might have been some good characters introduced after those, but all the ones I've seen have just been annoying.

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
This one looks promising. I am going to pick up a copy for sure

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Obvious troll is obvious.

Nearly all recent Sonic games have been platforming and hardly any speed. Sonic Rush is probably the best Sonic game to be released since the fall of the Dreamcast.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
Obvious troll is obvious.

Nearly all recent Sonic games have been platforming and hardly any speed. Sonic Rush is probably the best Sonic game to be released since the fall of the Dreamcast.
What the hell? First of all, I'm hardly "trolling". I grew up with Sonic, not Mario. I'm a huge Sonic fan. Hell, I even enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2. Sonic Rush was decent, but there were very few platforming elements especially compared to the Genesis titles. Sonic Rush being the best Sonic game since the fall of the Dreamcast says absolutely nothing about the game. "SONIC RUSH IS BETTER THAN SONIC HEROES WOOO!"

I keep getting told to try Rush Adventure so I'll give that a try soon. However, from what I've seen of this game (so trailers), there has been very few platforming parts. All of it has been speed speed speed. I saw a few paths that would have been really interesting to go through if Sonic was maybe 33% as fast as he is in that video. Most of it looked like he was on autopilot, which they really need to stop doing. Ever since the level designer left Sega, the games have been struggling.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer

You seriously think that SA2 was better than Rush? Rush had platforming and speed elements. SA2 had platforming... and hardly any speed.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm still playing Rush. its really fun and it has the retro feel to it. I hope Unleashed has that same feeling and ignite the good old Sonic Vs Mario flame

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
...what I've seen of this game (so trailers), there has been very few platforming parts. All of it has been speed speed speed. I saw a few paths that would have been really interesting to go through if Sonic was maybe 33% as fast as he is in that video. Most of it looked like he was on autopilot, which they really need to stop doing. Ever since the level designer left Sega, the games have been struggling.
As much as I hate tpo say it, I know exactly what you're talking about. This game looks like an on-rails game, only you have to manualy move sonic foward so that it seems like you are "interacting" with the game.

I REALLY wish we could see some Were-Sonic footage, if only so that I could see if his "slowed-down" gameplay might end up more fun than normal Sonic's.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord

You seriously think that SA2 was better than Rush? Rush had platforming and speed elements. SA2 had platforming... and hardly any speed.
I never felt like I had much choice on where I was heading with Sonic Rush. With Sonic Adventure 2, I really enjoyed Radical Highway. I found the balance in SA2 to be more to my tastes than in Sonic Rush. Having to complete the entire game with two characters who hardly differed didn't help. That extra bit of height that Blaze got wasn't put to much use at all.

Also, I was about 14 when I played Sonic Adventure 2 and played fewer games, so maybe it left a better impression on me for that reason. I found the Sonic and Shadow levels how I want future Sonic games to play. They had the amount of speed -> platforming elements I want to see in 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Heroes had a stupid gimmicky team aspect that didn't work at all. Forcing you to play the game 4 times to finish with almost identical teams didn't work too well either. Sonic 360... well, I got to the first boss fight and Sonic went so fast he died when he hit a tree or something that I found almost impossible to control and I haven't tried it again since.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I have high hopes for this game. SUCH high hopes. I wasn't particularly boycotting Sonic NextGen, as I felt that it managed to get some factors of the game right, but it was just unpolished (I hated the loading screens the most).

Sonic Unleashed? Show us how a TRUE next generation Sonic the Hedgehog game should be.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y6... Unleashed/global_preso/OPA013editcur0031.jpg

What's this?! Eggman in a bubble glass cover?! NOSTALGIA!
Well...It looks like they finally learned their lesson. Don't screw this up Sega!
The examples go on, but I can hardly share this boundless optimism. I've been disappointed too much to continue thinking that Sega will actually get their act together. Maybe if they stop saying they're bringing him back to his roots it'll actually happen. They don't even understand what retro Sonic is ABOUT. They're like "Ooh, speed! They want speed!" NO! WE DON'T WANT PURE SPEED! The retro Sonic games were about more than just that. What about taking alternate routes like in the second Act of the Green Hill Zone? Or in all of Sonic 3/& Knuckles, having to explore a bit to find the special stages? They MADE the freakin' games and they can't even figure out what they had! I have advice for you, Sega. GO BACK AND PLAY SONIC 1, 2, 3, & KNUCKLES, and CD. Play those, tell me what you found in them, and try to incorporate that into the game. Sonic games are NOT about racing. Secret Rings felt like a racing game, what with CONSTANT movement, and motion sensor which didn't work well so you're screaming at the TV, "NO! BACKWARDS! NOT FORWARDS, MOVE BACKWARDS!" Sonic isn't a racing game. Sonic's special trait is that he can run really fast. That's always been his signature. If he can be matched (*cough* Robotnik and Mario in Olympic games *cough*) then that's just stupid. In a racing game, he has to be able to be matched or you just play as Sonic and instant win. Thus, we can conclude that Sonic Racing Game =/= good.

And they're making an alternate version for Wii, so we can have more motion sensor. We don't need motion sensor! Sonic was at its best in the early days without even any 3D, why are they convinced that motion sensor is necessary? The Wii is just a gimmick now, EVERY GAME except for one or two (Fire Emblem and Brawl that I can think of) have motion sensor. No. Motion sensor is just slapped on every game nowadays. Enough is enough.

But yeah, I'm going to wait for some reviews of the game before I even so much as consider it. Chances are I'll rent it no matter what; I'm not wasting my money on yet another disappointment if I don't have to. I'll spend $5 to rent it and try it out, and if it's as much of a piece of crap as I suspect it will be, I'm not spending a penny more on it. If it's actually reminiscent of the old games and I actually like it, I may buy it. But I might just stick to the retro games, which I'm still not sick of.

One more thing; the spinoffs of all games need to stop. There's probably 10x more Mario spinoffs (without any exaggeration) than real games, time is being wasted on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Ranger whilst we get Battle Revolution for the Wii, and on-topic, Sonic spinoffs are getting more stupid by the moment. A Sonic RPG? No. Just NO. And even more characters being added.
Spinoffs fail 90% of the time anyways, they ought to stop wasting both our time and money and their time and money.

[/Rant]

But seriously, I have lost faith in Sega. Until they show me they can pull something good off, I'm not going to buy another game of theirs. I'll rent at best.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Before you go and kill yourself from anger, I suggest that first you realize:

1. there were plenty of alternate routes in the video, and it seems like your were saying there was none.

2. the dude in charge (I forgot his name) said that were would be levels centered on speed, and levels centered more on traditional platforming. What we've seen so far are probably speed videos, seeing as that's what we've been whining for for so long.

3. The option to use the GC controler is used for the Wii version, meaning waggle is optional.

4. Sonic RPG is being made by BioWare... 'nuff said.

That said, I'm still cautiously approaching this game.

Edit: yes, I am a smartass

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Before you go and kill yourself from anger, I suggest that first you realize:

1. there were plenty of alternate routes in the video, and it seems like your were saying there was none.

2. the dude in charge (I forgot his name) said that were would be levels centered on speed, and levels centered more on traditional platforming. What we've seen so far are probably speed videos, seeing as that's what we've been whining for for so long.
I never said that, just that Sega seems to think that all speed is what we want. That was the point of Secret Rings. Nintendo Power raved on about that one, kept saying it's bringing Sonic back to his roots, and talked about how it's all speed. That doesn't make the games good. In my opinion, just from that video, Sonic's going too fast. Even with some levels focused on traditional platforming, he's just going too fast. I honestly think they need to take a trip back to 1991 and replay Sonic 1.

And wait, who's been whining for speed? I want some speed, as in not RPG speed, but who asked for pure speed? Maybe my opinion just differs from other Sonic fans' opinions, but...have other fans actually been whining for that?

3. The option to use the GC controler is used for the Wii version, meaning waggle is optional.

4. Sonic RPG is being made by BioWare... 'nuff said.

That said, I'm still cautiously approaching this game.
If the option to use the GC Controller is available, why are they even bothering to make a separate version of the game for Wii? Eh, well that helps, but I'm still not inclined to think that'll make it any better.

As for the Sonic RPG being made by BioWare...I don't remember what else they've made, I know I've been told this and just forgot, but...what is it about BioWare?

As for killing myself out of anger, I'm sorry if I come off really super angry. When I talk about this stuff, I get really passionate. The direction my favorite games have taken disappoints and angers me immensely. I'm angry at the game creators, though, not anyone else, just in case it ever comes off that way.

Top Bottom