• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ugh, I was 1 hit away from the Untouchable Trophy -_-.
It's right when he breaks the floor, I can NEVER hit him in time, ugh :(.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I'll probably get it, trust me. I can't play 3D sonic for the most part, it's complete trash. Maybe my standards are too high (though I don't give a **** about his aesthetics), but in the Mario vs Sonic debate.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 2010 Mario game... outshines hte 2009 etc Sonic games I've seen.

My point being, it's not nitpicky I don't think, to say Sonic has been a huge letdown to me.

This game, however, looks hot.

finalark

SNORLAX
Super Mario Galaxy 2 a 2010 Mario game... outshines hte 2009 etc Sonic games I've seen.
Even though I didn't like Galaxy 2 I have to agree with with you. For me any 3D Sonic game from Shadow onward was pretty poor in comparison to his other titles.

But if you like 2D Sonic and you're not a nitpicky fanboy you'll probably like Sonic 4. It's good to know the Blue Blur is back on track again.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Yeah, I'm not a hardcore Sonic fan, nor Mario really. Which is why my statement holds. I've played SMB3, and SMG2... >.>.I played the old Sonic games, an A2B.

I liked A2B, but that's it.

Edit: Sonic Colors looks good so far..but so did Sonic 06 before it came out, just sayin;

My fingers are crossed!

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I can't believe some people find it to be a big deal that Sonic doesn't have an idle animation, its not a big deal. Yeah the game is short, but I still think its good.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
meh, people always get mad when PLATFORMING/adventure games are too short. Even if it has 4 episodes, and is only ~5hour long game for 60ish dollars, it's a good 5 hours?

Metroid only took 22 hours for 2 rounds (Other M, 100%), which is kinda bad for Metroid. But it's still a okay/good game.

If you want lengthy games go play rpgs or things like Monster Hunter

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I don't know what to call it, I guess platformer but... I've called platformers adventures :/

I wasn't being technical. =[

Okay, fixed.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Yeah, I'll probably get it, trust me. I can't play 3D sonic for the most part, it's complete trash. Maybe my standards are too high (though I don't give a **** about his aesthetics), but in the Mario vs Sonic debate.

My point being, it's not nitpicky I don't think, to say Sonic has been a huge letdown to me.

This game, however, looks hot.
If you truly have standards you'll stay far away from this game. If you have been ignoring all the bad Sonic games that have come out so far why tarnish your record with this mediocre waste of fifteen dollars? Don't get fooled by the retro coat of paint, there is a turd under the hood.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
If you truly have standards you'll stay far away from this game. If you have been ignoring all the bad Sonic games that have come out so far why tarnish your record with this mediocre waste of fifteen dollars? Don't get fooled by the retro coat of paint, there is a turd under the hood.
So he has no standards if he buys a game that you don't like? Sorry but that's just terrible logic. Besides, its his money, why do you care what he plays?

zxeon

Smash Lord
Eighteen Positive reviews.
Ten so-so reviews.
Three negative reviews.

Because that totally sounds like a bad game to me.
The numbers don't lie as stupid as that sounds. What we have here is generic platformer that Sega smothered in the Sonic color palate. You have to look at games objectively and judge them on their merits and against it's competition rather than auto-liking it because one of your favorite characters is in it.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
What if you just don't give and **** and don't want to bother with looking at the competition? So there are better games out there. Why compare? If all you did was compare video games you'd get nothing but games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Halo: Reach, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and so on and so forth. Some things can be similar and look fun but you think to yourself, "Yyyeah...but...it's not Halo: Reach."

That's rather rude of you to assume that just because it's Sonic it means that some people will auto-like and buy it. Many fans acknowledged the sub-par games anyway and aren't blind.

What's so wrong about wanting to get a game because it looks interesting to them? What's wrong with not comparing and just going for it? Nothing. This is a losing battle for you. Just stop; you're making yourself out to be an ignorant prick who has to be right and looking down on everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Let him play. Let him not play. If this is how you're going to express yourself, then you don't have much of a say in advising someone in the first place.

Just looking at games objectively and judging them on their merits in contrast to more hyped/higher rated games is what's wrong with this new generation of today. It creates cynical people like you who are either spoiled beyond the point of no return, or just like to complain or object because they can. What happened to the world of gaming? I want to know.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
God**** it. I keep trying to get the highest score in the first act of the Spash Hill Zone (whatever the highest time is), but I keep landing at 1 minute 10 seconds and ____ milliseconds. This is so annoying. How the hell do all of you do this?

zxeon

Smash Lord
What if you just don't give and **** and don't want to bother with looking at the competition? So there are better games out there. Why compare? If all you did was compare video games you'd get nothing but games like Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted, Halo: Reach, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and so on and so forth. Some things can be similar and look fun but you think to yourself, "Yyyeah...but...it's not Halo: Reach."

That's rather rude of you to assume that just because it's Sonic it means that some people will auto-like and buy it. Many fans acknowledged the sub-par games anyway and aren't blind.

What's so wrong about wanting to get a game because it looks interesting to them? What's wrong with not comparing and just going for it? Nothing. This is a losing battle for you. Just stop; you're making yourself out to be an ignorant prick who has to be right and looking down on everyone who doesn't agree with you.

Let him play. Let him not play. If this is how you're going to express yourself, then you don't have much of a say in advising someone in the first place.

Just looking at games objectively and judging them on their merits in contrast to more hyped/higher rated games is what's wrong with this new generation of today. It creates cynical people like you who are either spoiled beyond the point of no return, or just like to complain or object because they can. What happened to the world of gaming? I want to know.
There is so much wrong with that post I don't think I can tackle it all in one night. I have to give you props because you wright a mean straw man.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Okay.

Let's see what happens. You're right. You're absolutely right. I should have zero interest in this game before I've even gotten a chance to personally play it. Casting aside my like of the Sonic series as a fan, I am just not going to go anywhere near this game that you call utter trash. I should look at other video games that are better and only focus on those ones because flaws in other games should cause me to run the other way screaming.

What then? Why are you right? Why was I so wrong before?

Give me an answer that doesn't make me want to smack my head into a wall. But I wouldn't; because that's just silly. And would cost me money to fix the wall.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Okay.

Let's see what happens. You're right. You're absolutely right. I should have zero interest in this game before I've even gotten a chance to personally play it. Casting aside my like of the Sonic series as a fan, I am just not going to go anywhere near this game that you call utter trash. I should look at other video games that are better and only focus on those ones because flaws in other games should cause me to run the other way screaming.

What then? Why are you right? Why was I so wrong before?

Give me an answer that doesn't make me want to smack my head into a wall. But I wouldn't; because that's just silly. And would cost me money to fix the wall.
The whole point of a community is to circulate information and try to keep people from making the same mistakes you've made. So no one else has to eat the red berries and suffer excruciating pain.

Also buying mediocre games gives companies no incentive to put out something that can truly shine instead they will make the same game over and over ad nauseum. Case and point: the Pokemon franchise. It's 2010 and Pokemon sprites are just now getting animations during battle as opposed to the attack animations being the only moving thing on screen.

If he's anything like me he might not enjoy this game at all and lament spending his $15 on it. "But you don't have to take my word for it" "Buyer beware" "Try before you buy" etc. etc. etc.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
God**** it. I keep trying to get the highest score in the first act of the Spash Hill Zone (whatever the highest time is), but I keep landing at 1 minute 10 seconds and ____ milliseconds. This is so annoying. How the hell do all of you do this?
Get Super Sonic, if you haven't. I've gotten 48 seconds, but I can't beat it :/

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
The whole point of a community is to circulate information and try to keep people from making the same mistakes you've made. So no one else has to eat the red berries and suffer excruciating pain.

Also buying mediocre games gives companies no incentive to put out something that can truly shine instead they will make the same game over and over ad nauseum. Case and point: the Pokemon franchise. It's 2010 and Pokemon sprites are just now getting animations during battle as opposed to the attack animations being the only moving thing on screen.

If he's anything like me he might not enjoy this game at all and lament spending his $15 on it. "But you don't have to take my word for it" "Buyer beware" "Try before you buy" etc. etc. etc.
It doesn't exactly work when most of the community seems to already favor Sonic the Hedgehog 4, or at least have enough interest in it.

I can understand that way of thinking when it comes to SOME situations, but that does NOT apply here, I've come to note. You're the one man who seems so deadset against it amongst this group. I'm not saying that you should associate and conform to others whether it's good or bad, but a guideline before you yourself make that final decision?

That is what I see a community as, what it's best used for in situations like this. It's not the be-all-end-all of what choice I make. And it never will be. And it never should be for those curious about this game. If there's a LOT of people crying foul? Be weary, certainly. If your curiosity wins out, that's your gain or loss when you get it. If there's a LOT of people proclaiming joy or acceptance? Think about it and take the dive.

The way that you come across is rather extreme and condescending. "Any way I can convince you NOT to buy this? Trash game this, don't do it you'll regret it buying this piece of garbage that, blah blah blah" Only you worded it better.

That's all I'm seeing. Not convinced, sorry. Sonic 4 is riding on some good success as a video game amongst a 2010 line-up. I say give it a go. I know I will, and that's my choice. Stop trying to enforce yours on others with such undying relent. It loses its charm after your first post of inputting your personal opinion.

[EDIT]

Also, FYI? Your "legitimate" complaints about the green eyes or slight alteration in physics in an HD sequel of a classic series? The idle animation thing?

Those are legitimate... Legitimate personal gripes that make you go, "Awww." and you move the heck on with what you have offered to you as a video game. This isn't Gran Turismo 5 that's going to go to EVERY SINGLE DETAIL for perfection. Nothing in this world has been perfect. Nothing ever will. It is the world that we live in. We strive to improve; that is all that game developers can do.

They are the most minor of things, the green eye, idle animation jabs that you call legit complaints. Standing still long enough to see it? But you don't? That's a part of what makes and breaks the game to you?

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again. The golden age of gaming has been lost amongst cynical spoilt brats that refuse change and berate those that disagree with stepping forward. Suck it up, buttercup.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Get Super Sonic, if you haven't. I've gotten 48 seconds, but I can't beat it :/
****, I suck at all those special stages. They give you too little time on some of them and I just suck because of the bumpers (though I only have 2 of the chaos emeralds)

Anyways, I still haven't beaten Eggman which sucks because I keep dying in the part where he brings out all those pillars :/

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Blasting it over and over again is where you went wrong. When you first talked about your dislike of it, that was about as far as you can go. People can read and look back, you know. They take what you and I say with a grain of salt and listen from there. You sound desperate when you have to repeat yourself over and over again.

Lesson learnt there. This is the wrong kind of extreme and the condescending nature of your posts does nothing to convince others, not to mention your weak reasonings for disliking the game that are not so easily transferable to other fans or non-fans therefore.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I probably won't get it, for the fact I've got ~5 games to beat because Maplestory put me behind, and I'm getting me and my girlfriend like 6~7 games for christmas. (Two are rpgs at that >_>)

So I can't really care too much, and plus once all 3 acts are out, maybe they'll have a bundle. (Episodes not acts)

But the game looks fun, I don't care what haters say :p

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sad day for a gaming community when it's become common-stance for someone to claim A SEVEN AND A HALF OUT OF TEN score makes for a failure of a game.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well, unless they just don't like it. Drakengard got a 7, but I think it's failure. I will admit though, the person on this board who hates it is being a tad nitpicky. The Demo was fun.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I got the new Game Informer magazine. Best. One. Yet.

They gave Sonic 4 on the HD CONSOLES an 8/10. The funniest thing about this is that they didn't say the game was on Wii. Probably cuz Wii sux half the time. :sonic:

zxeon

Smash Lord
Unless you are waiting for some cool hacks you should avoid the Wii version if you have the choice. The detail in the game is worse and the songs all sound worse or sound like a different song all together. PSN and XBL also have better leaderboard and online features but that's a given for any cross platform game.

Top Bottom