• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic 4 Episode 1.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I have to say, for the longest, I've hated Sonic. I liked the old ones, and A2B. Everything else seemed so medocre to me. Colors does seem okay though, and this looks amazing. However.... 15 dollars for "part 1" is so not worth it. I see their scheme:

Part I/II/III 15/each = they made a 45 dollar game. Cool idea, but each part should have 2hours or so of content at least, not 45 minutes.

*Sigh*

Now correct me if I'm wrong, because everything I just said is what I've interpreted from it.

Either way I'm probably getting this, lol.

UberMario

Smash Master
You do realize Sonic the Hedgehog 3 was a "part 1", and it was around $40+ [I don't remember]? Granted very few people realized it was only half-a-game [compared to the obvious giveaway here], but still this is a much better deal than that was [at least price wise].

zxeon

Smash Lord
YES BECAUSE A LACK OF AN IDLE ANIMATION TOTALLY EFFECTS GAME PLAY. I think you meant AFFECTS
Sonic's Idle animation is his soul. It's what gave him that extra edge over Mario. His Idle animations personified him. As soon as you saw that idle animation you knew that Sonic was "EXTREME!".

Needlessly nitpicking at bull**** that doesn't even matter to normal people is not helping your statement. I personally find the game to be incredibly fun after I got used to the new physics (although it is pretty lol worthy that Sonic can walk up a vertical wall easier than he can spin-dash up one) and I'm glad to say that it's worthy of the name "Sonic 4."
Wrong. It's a competent game. Which is to say :"It works and you can play it through to the end" but all the minor flaws hold it back from being a true sequel. Because the little things matter. The same is true in grammar and in video games.

For those interested hearing more whining and want to see the differences between the classic games and this one demonstrated side by side as it were use this video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E&feature=related
Beware this guy loves Sonic. A lot.

Also compare Sonic 4 with this fan game for a little perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Hn1XhyWB0&feature=player_embedded

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Actually, yes it is. It's the best that they've made in the long time

Christ people, at least it's better than Sonic the Hedgehog 06. Do we really want something else like that? So stop complaining and be grateful that we got something better than that piece of crap game that is 06
THANK YOU. I'm sick of people bashing at one thing or the other.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sonic's Idle animation is his soul. It's what gave him that extra edge against Mario. His Idle animations personified him. As soon as you saw that idle animation you knew that Sonic was "EXTREME!".
... the whole "EXTREME AND EDGY HERO WITH ATTITUDE!" thing died along with the nineties. Yes, he was characterized though those animations back then but this isn't 1992 anymore. What matters is game play, not if Sonic taps his foot while glaring at you impatiently or not.

And I'm pretty sure that what gave him the edge against Mario wasn't a little piece of animation but the game play.

Wrong. It's a competent game. Which is to say :"It works and you can play it through to the end" but all the minor flaws hold it back from being a true sequel. Because the little things matter. The same is true in grammar and in video games.
How subjective of you. I'm not some nostalgic idiot who needs everything to be exactly the same as it was back when I was a kid. I didn't even notice that he didn't have an idle animation and I was expecting the physics to be different because this is a sequel, not a remake.

And noticing that I made a grammar error and pointing it out does make you look particularly intelligent. It just makes you look even more like a nit-picky fanboy.

For those interested hearing more whining and want to see the differences between the classic games and this one demonstrated side by side as it were use this video for reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6-1cGzPn3E&feature=related
Beware this guy loves Sonic. A lot.
Because Sonic's fanbase is known to be an intelligent and sensible sort.

Also compare Sonic 4 with this fan game for a little perspective.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Hn1XhyWB0&feature=player_embedded
So you just wanted old Sonic with modern graphics.

GET OVER IT.

zxeon

Smash Lord
... the whole "EXTREME AND EDGY HERO WITH ATTITUDE!" thing died along with the nineties. Yes, he was characterized though those animations back then but this isn't 1992 anymore. What matters is game play, not if Sonic taps his foot while glaring at you impatiently or not.
Sonic's camp '90s EXTREME attitude is what makes his character such a hoot. It's like the never got the memo we don't think that's cool anymore. Also the game play is for babies. Compared to the other games from the series it claims to be from it practically plays itself.

And I'm pretty sure that what gave him the edge against Mario wasn't a little piece of animation but the game play.
Another acceptable answer is: BLAST PROCESSING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlulSyBI2aY

How subjective of you. I'm not some nostalgic idiot who needs everything to be exactly the same as it was back when I was a kid. I didn't even notice that he didn't have an idle animation and I was expecting the physics to be different because this is a sequel, not a remake.
I don't want it to be exactly the same I want it to be better. Maybe something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYLa6V03uA

And noticing that I made a grammar error and pointing it out does make you look particularly intelligent. It just makes you look even more like a nit-picky fanboy.
But it does make you look sloppier. Can you stop the ad hominem arguments? Let's keep personal attacks limited to grammar corrections.

I guess I've been spoiled by all these games that were developed by someone other than SONIC TEAM. Which sounds like a weird thing to say until you take a look at their track record.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Meh I'm probably getting this soon XD It just looks fun. Does it matter which console you get it on? >.> Like are their exclusives?

zxeon

Smash Lord
Meh I'm probably getting this soon XD It just looks fun. Does it matter which console you get it on? >.> Like are their exclusives?
Is there any way I can talk you out of this? This game is a trap for people who own just a Wii. If you own any other consoles your money is probably better spent elsewhere My advice would be to try to forget this game exists and save your monies for Sonic Colors and get your Sonic fix on December seventh.

But to answer your question get it on anything that isn't named Wii.

finalark

SNORLAX
Sonic's camp '90s EXTREME attitude is what makes his character such a hoot.
Back in '92.

It's like the never got the memo we don't think that's cool anymore.
Speaking of grammar...

Also the game play is for babies. Compared to the other games from the series it claims to be from it practically plays itself.
I do have to agree that the game is really easy.

Another acceptable answer is: BLAST PROCESSING!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlulSyBI2aY
Back in '92.

I don't want it to be exactly the same I want it to be better. Maybe something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYLa6V03uA
I will admit that that does look pretty cool but this is what we got and it took a bit but I warmed up to it. Yes, it's different from the original Sonics (it isn't like those weren't different from each other or anything /sarcasm) but I got used to it and found it to be fun. You know, fun, that thing that you're supposed to have when you play a game?

But it does make you look sloppier. Can you stop the ad hominem arguments? Let's keep personal attacks limited to grammar corrections.
I'll try.

I guess I've been spoiled by all these games that were developed by someone other than SONIC TEAM. Which sounds like a weird thing to say until you take a look at their track record.
Sonic 4 was made with the help of DIMPS.

But seriously, Sega should just drop Sonic Team all together.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok so tell me honestly, how many people noticed Sonicc had an idle animation in the first place? I sure didn't and when I first played the classic sonic series, I was in the same age range of when kids played it when it first came out and I sure as he'll didn't notice it

And to those who are going to say that the N64 ruined me back then, I STILL had a huge thing for idle animations ( like I'd just watch Mario sleep in Mario 64 just to watch him sleep), so I would've noticed it

And you know why I didnt notice it? Because I cared more about actually WINNING the game, not standing still and wasting valuable time. Tell me none of you think like that.

You know WHY the sonic community say the Sonic games these days suck? Because 90% of the community are nostalgic *******s who nit pick at a game ecause it's new. Oh my god sonic is skinny. Who the **** cares? Mario was a fat little person back in the day and you don't see the Mario community complaining that he lost quite a bit of weight.

It's sad that because sega tries out new thing and actually modernizes, the fanbase hate on it because it's not like the old games

And to those who are gonna say that I was just bashing on 06 a minute ago, at least I actually had a LEGITIMATE reason to not like it. No it wasn't because of silver who everybody seems to hate on because he's new, I hate the game because of the extremely long loading times, the high difficulty, and the awkward way one navigates between missions, and the actual missions themselves, not because it's new

Like seriously stop ****ing ****ting on the new games because sega is trying something new, if you must complain then complain for legitimate reasons

This is why I REALLY hate the sonic community

finalark

SNORLAX
Ok so tell me honestly, how many people noticed Sonicc had an idle animation in the first place? I sure didn't and when I first played the classic sonic series, I was in the same age range of when kids played it when it first came out and I sure as he'll didn't notice it

And to those who are going to say that the N64 ruined me back then, I STILL had a huge thing for idle animations ( like I'd just watch Mario sleep in Mario 64 just to watch him sleep), so I would've noticed it

And you know why I didnt notice it? Because I cared more about actually WINNING the game, not standing still and wasting valuable time. Tell me none of you think like that.

You know WHY the sonic community say the Sonic games these days suck? Because 90% of the community are nostalgic *******s who nit pick at a game ecause it's new. Oh my god sonic is skinny. Who the **** cares? Mario was a fat little person back in the day and you don't see the Mario community complaining that he lost quite a bit of weight.

It's sad that because sega tries out new thing and actually modernizes, the fanbase hate on it because it's not like the old games

And to those who are gonna say that I was just bashing on 06 a minute ago, at least I actually had a LEGITIMATE reason to not like it. No it wasn't because of silver who everybody seems to hate on because he's new, I hate the game because of the extremely long loading times, the high difficulty, and the awkward way one navigates between missions, and the actual missions themselves, not because it's new

Like seriously stop ****ing ****ting on the new games because sega is trying something new, if you must complain then complain for legitimate reasons

This is why I REALLY hate the sonic community
Quoted for truth.

Seriously, in retrospect I'd have to say that the only post SA2 Sonic that I can say I actually hated was Unleashed (never played '06 so I have no opinion on it). All of the others were either just okay or incredibly underrated.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
lol. dude, all of the games since Adventure 2 have truly objectively sucked balls. it's not some reactionary nostalgic agenda, the 3D games are complete abominations, and so far removed from what foundations Sonic was founded on.

To compare it directly with the Mario series of all things is hilarious. Sub-games/Sport games aside, every entry into the Mario series has ranged from really good to fckng AMAZING. It is the most consistently plain fun platforming series of all time, even now in 2010. And the whole time it stuck to the basic fundamentals of Super Mario Bros.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Sonic 4 was made with the help of DIMPS.
People noticed
http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/play-value/gaming-mascots?autoplay=true

Also Sonic games are disliked because they are poor games not because they are different. I don't remember anyone crying foul when Sonic Adventure came out. Do you know why? Because it was different. The good different.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

zxeon

Smash Lord

finalark

SNORLAX
Say it ain't so! They make the Sonic games I still enjoy.
True story. Now would you kindly stop complaining about stupid things that don't even matter to normal people?

lol. dude, all of the games since Adventure 2 have truly objectively sucked balls.
I actually liked Sonic Heroes, thank you very much. And I thought that Secret Rings was decent although I did think that Unleashed was a piece of garbage. Never played '06 and Shadow the Hedgehog wasn't as bad as everyone claims it was to me, I just saw it as one massive shark-jumping failed experiment. Despite that, I thought the game play was pretty fun sans vehicles and melee weapons.

it's not some reactionary nostalgic agenda, the 3D games are complete abominations, and so far removed from what foundations Sonic was founded on.
I disagree with saying that all of the 3D games post SA2 are trash but I do agree that Sonic is nowhere near close to what it was founded on.

To compare it directly with the Mario series of all things is hilarious.
I think the only reason why people do this is because the two were rival mascots back in the 16-bit wars.

Sub-games/Sport games aside, every entry into the Mario series has ranged from really good to fckng AMAZING.
Am I seriously the only one who didn't like both Galaxy 2 and NSMB Wii?

It is the most consistently plain fun platforming series of all time, even now in 2010. And the whole time it stuck to the basic fundamentals of Super Mario Bros.
For the most part, yeah.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I played the trial game and I like it. The only thing stopping me from getting the game is the price. I'll either ask for some Microsoft points for Christmas or wait for one of those weekly discounts and hope they choose Sonic 4.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as how Galaxy 2 is one of the highest rated and reviewed games of this generation/all time, I would say so. I just found New Mario Wii "decently good" though.

Sonic 06...well, I'll just put this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze582VGaAkY

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwOUrd8Jt7M&feature=related

I thought Secret Rings was even worse than Unleashed but it's all opinion at the end of the day.
You know each game has it's own glitches right? Like even SMG2 had it's own glitches. That means absolutely nothing as whether or not it makes a game bad if SMG2 can go and be a worldwide hit if it has glitches as well.

finalark

SNORLAX
Seeing as how Galaxy 2 is one of the highest rated and reviewed games of this generation/all time, I would say so. I just found New Mario Wii "decently good" though.
I just wasn't too found of the idea of paying $50 for an expansion pack. And NSMB Wii just felt like it was being carried way to much by nostalgia rather than it's own merits for me.

I thought Secret Rings was even worse than Unleashed but it's all opinion at the end of the day.
Yeah pretty much.

Why would I this stop me from complaining? I can't believe Dimps had a hand in this failure. Hopefully they don't screw up Sonic Colors.
... you know what, I'm pretty sure you're either trolling me or you just wanted something else out of it and didn't get what you wanted so now you're complaining about it.

It's like some kid getting an Xbox for his birthday but then screaming at his mom because it isn't an Elite Model.

M.K

Level 55
I'm actually one of those people who hated 2-D Sonic games and the like, my favorite being Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

The only thing I'm happy about for this game is that maybe these good scores will give SEGA a slight morale boost when making better 3D games. =/

BSP

Smash Legend
My only complaint with Sonic 4 is the physics.

Sonic 3 had the best physics. I don't know why Sega keeps straying from that >_<. Hopefully episode 2 fixes them some.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
You know each game has it's own glitches right? Like even SMG2 had it's own glitches. That means absolutely nothing as whether or not it makes a game bad if SMG2 can go and be a worldwide hit if it has glitches as well.
Look at that first video. That is more than just a "glitch". That is a complete failure of a physics system. The entire game is literally on rails like a rollercoaster.

Again, to compare that to some of the worst glitches in Galaxy 2 (like Yoshi's super jump and stuff like that) is just wrong.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Look at that first video. That is more than just a "glitch". That is a complete failure of a physics system. The entire game is literally on rails like a rollercoaster.

Again, to compare that to some of the worst glitches in Galaxy 2 (like Yoshi's super jump and stuff like that) is just wrong.
It's no use. They just don't get it.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Is there a console differences? I don't want to buy the game twice if there's not much change between the Wii and PS3/360.
The PS3/360 versions have:
Better visuals
Better sounds
More leaderboard functions
Better controllers

Tbh those are "Duh" factors. Do you really expect the Wii version of any game to be better than an HD one?

§leepy God

Smash Master
Wii controllers, (including GC, and Classic) > PS3/360, but I'm glad there's not too much of a differences in Sonic 4 like Unleashed.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Is there a console differences? I don't want to buy the game twice if there's not much change between the Wii and PS3/360.
Don't get the iPhone version (if you even are). I heard that it's the worst port of the game.

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
Hey guys, I'm 7th place at Lost Labyrinth Zone, Act 3 on leaderboards of the Wii version of Sonic 4. :awesome:
My time is like 1 minute, 47 seconds or something.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Hey guys, I'm 7th place at Lost Labyrinth Zone, Act 3 on leaderboards of the Wii version of Sonic 4. :awesome:
My time is like 1 minute, 47 seconds or something.
That's the same time I got.

But on Lost Labyrinth Act 2 instead. I'm ranked first there and ahead by five seconds.

:awesome:

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I think Tails would be in Episode 2 and Knuckles in Episode 3. That's what I THOUGHT I heard.

Top Bottom