• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
You should voice these concerns to your doctor instead of a videogame forum. You can talk about all the different options and ways to manage it. It's your life, don't trust random people on the internet to make an informed choice for you when you can ask trained, impartial professionals.
Yeah, I realize that, but at the same time I'm not really getting both sides of the story here. As far as I know the difference between me and that lazy and sad guy on the other side of the street is that he's probably DOING his schoolwork, which makes me wonder what exactly makes this a case of "you need meds" instead of "get off your rear and start working"? Plus, I need material to ask about for when I DO see the doctor.

Anti-depressants are effective if that's what you're asking (though not the be-all and end-all). There's no reason you would be stuck on them for life - you'll take them as long as you need them or want them.
I see.

Depression is a pretty stigmatized disease (even your own post shows) which is unfortunate because it makes dealing with the disease, management and getting the appropriate treatment much more difficult.
I really don't understand how you draw the line between the chemical (depression) and the emotional (...which is... almost the same thing but not really?).

*starts writing these questions down*

For some people, the medication is what moves them from merely existing to getting the most they can out of their life. They're doing something about their state - it's not lowering the bar for life at all.
I guess if anything that makes me feel a bit less guilty to agreeing to take the medication... still, what happened to all the Sirlinites? I thought you guys were all about play to win and all that good stuff. I mean, that seems like the kind of philosophy you could stick on anything, really, including this.

sammy p

Smash Lord
ALLERGIES SUCK!! hahah i hate em.
my allergies are a little unigue, because once they act up, they dont go for about thre days, and then i end up getting symptoms like a flu.
for three to four days straight i get: congested nose, sore throat, swollen red eyes, fever, ect.

ugh how i hate allergies :laugh:(:()

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
The ammount of drink i've been asked to buy for people since turning 18 is insane. The local shops must think i'm a raging alchoholic.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah, I realize that, but at the same time I'm not really getting both sides of the story here. As far as I know the difference between me and that lazy and sad guy on the other side of the street is that he's probably DOING his schoolwork, which makes me wonder what exactly makes this a case of "you need meds" instead of "get off your rear and start working"? Plus, I need material to ask about for when I DO see the doctor.
Funny you say this. This is one of the most typical symptoms of depression! The symptoms of the depression stretch quite far and I think a lot of sufferers don't even consider that they could have it. Sometimes it feels so debilitating that people struggle to find the willpower to do even the simplest of tasks. It's not as easy as simply saying, ''Hey, get up. Stop being depressed!''

But I obviously don't know you or the symptoms you do have. If you feel you don't have depression, it's worth talking to your doctor about it (they wouldn't want to prescribe you something unless they thought you have it). Depression is a real illness with real problems - there's a chemical imbalance in your brain. But it isn't a sign of weakness. There have been loads of successful people that suffered bouts of depression. I think there's even a link between a higher IQ and depression.

Are Sirlinites the guys who play to win? Personally, I'm actually a super uncompetitive guy. But hey, if that's your philosophy I don't see why it doesn't work with taking antidepressants. You do what you need to do to. If the antidepressants are what will help you get over this depression, then why not use them?

Having said all this, don't expect antidepressants to be some super pill. They have side effects, they take time and you may need to try more than one type. You still need to want to get better and put some effort into acheiving that. They only facilitate this. They do a good job when they work though.

The Phazon Assassin

Smash Champion
I found $61 in the street today. No one else was around so I took it but I still feel bad that someone lost 61 bucks in such an unfortunate way.
I once found a hundred dollar bill on public trans before. I looked at it, and at first I thought it was a 10, but I noticed the numbers didn't look like a $10 bill. I picked it up and saw 2 zeroes after the 1. I went home with a HUGE smile on my face.

But then, that thing they call "karma" caught up to me. I lost my bus pass the next week and had to dish out another $20 for another one. Good thing I found that bill, though, right?

Moral of the story: Uhhhhh, it's around here somewhere......

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Funny you say this. This is one of the most typical symptoms of depression! The symptoms of the depression stretch quite far and I think a lot of sufferers don't even consider that they could have it. Sometimes it feels so debilitating that people struggle to find the willpower to do even the simplest of tasks. It's not as easy as simply saying, ''Hey, get up. Stop being depressed!''
Wow... ok, thanks for an answer. No one (not even the counselor that's wanting me to see a doctor) could answer this for me.

But I obviously don't know you or the symptoms you do have. If you feel you don't have depression, it's worth talking to your doctor about it (they wouldn't want to prescribe you something unless they thought you have it). Depression is a real illness with real problems - there's a chemical imbalance in your brain. But it isn't a sign of weakness. There have been loads of successful people that suffered bouts of depression. I think there's even a link between a higher IQ and depression.
Yeah, I'm already scheduled to talk to one this week, so I guess we'll know for sure then.

Are Sirlinites the guys who play to win? Personally, I'm actually a super uncompetitive guy. But hey, if that's your philosophy I don't see why it doesn't work with taking antidepressants. You do what you need to do to. If the antidepressants are what will help you get over this depression, then why not use them?
Actually, I merely came up with the term on my own (unless someone else has used it before). Personally, my head's a bit messed up after reading all that PTW stuff; I wouldn't be surprised if it somehow factored into me being... well, what I am right now. So yeah, I don't really subscribe to it myself, at least not until someone actually tells me what it all means. So that last bit was just me raging at it a bit.

Having said all this, don't expect antidepressants to be some super pill. They have side effects, they take time and you may need to try more than one type. You still need to want to get better and put some effort into acheiving that. They only facilitate this. They do a good job when they work though.
I've heard that quite a few times, so I understand that I'm going to have to put some effort myself into making sure I stay productive.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Why are so much people against equal rights? What is this? The ****ing 15th centuary?

This planet depresses me. Roll on escapism.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
My roommate is being totally whipped by this one girl. She tells him to wake up and go to breakfast everyday and he does it without question. She tells him to go deliver a gift and he does it without question. She tells him to go to the gym at arbitrary times and he does it without question. Basically, he'll do absolutely anything for her even if it means ditching prior engagements. No concept of bros before hos either. And it's not like this girl is in love with him anyways, because she parties HARD (not to mention she's bisexual) and my roommate studies all day long in our room.

Frankly, it's kind of funny and pathetic at the same time but I feel bad that he's unaware that he's being manipulated like a string puppet.

How do you tell someone they're being whipped? If you don't know what whipped means: http://whipped.urbanup.com/971992

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
^ i have a friend who is whipped, so i know how you feel.
Bros b4 hos :3 (though, i dont have much right saying that, seeing as im a chick xD but still...)
Just tell him. He'll DEFINETLY deny it. But it's better if he at least knows. Then maybe he'll realize it himself sooner than later.
------

I got my phone taken away during bio today. Cuz it was in my pocket. Wasn't using it. Just kinda chillin in my pocket. :/ now i have to turn it in to the office for 5 schooldays. Laaaaame. And ima get yelled at. WASNT EVEN USING IT D: Fffffffff-

BSP

Smash Legend
^ i have a friend who is whipped, so i know how you feel.
Bros b4 hos :3 (though, i dont have much right saying that, seeing as im a chick xD but still...)
Just tell him. He'll DEFINETLY deny it. But it's better if he at least knows. Then maybe he'll realize it himself sooner than later.
------

I got my phone taken away during bio today. Cuz it was in my pocket. Wasn't using it. Just kinda chillin in my pocket. :/ now i have to turn it in to the office for 5 schooldays. Laaaaame. And ima get yelled at. WASNT EVEN USING IT D: Fffffffff-
Yeah, we get in trouble too just for having our phones on us during school hours, it sucks.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am bothered because I just got rechargable batteries and now can't find the cover for my xbox 360 controller now HOW CAN I USE ITTTT??? :[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
My best friends girlfriend doesn't like me for some reason.

Anyway i just heard she cheated on him, he's away at the moment. I would tell him but i know i'd get the blame for something somehow so i'm not going to bother, it's not my problem.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
If it ever comes out that you knew and -didn't- say anything, it's going to be a lot worse.
Here's what i think will happen if i tell him:

"Bob, Vikki cheated on you"

"What?!?"

She denies it, he finds out the truth anyway, she cries about it and apologises repeatedly and tells him she loves him, he's pissed and ignores her for a while, she continues to cry and promises to never do it again, he forgives her, they kiss and make up, she hates me, he doesnt want anyone to mention it again, i'm the bad guy for bringing it up in the first place, the end.

Edit: Even though this isn't a one off from her, she even started dating Bob before she'd broken up with her other long term boyfriend. If that was my girlfriend alarm bells would be ringing from the very start.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Lets hope that it NEVER gets out that you knew. Then either way there would be trouble.

Or just follow your heart and do whats right.

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I do have sensitive teeth. :(

And yes. Your sinuses are so swollen and your whole head hurts so bad that your teeth hurts. Ugh. That's how I feel right now.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I hate it when you like someone you're not supposed to. There's this girl whose renowned for making guys get obsessed with her, like for example she went to this club 20 miles away with only money for a bus on the way there and she got all her drinks bought for her and even got a lift home, and she didnt even get with anyone that night, she just danced. She'd be easy to ignore if she wasnt so hot. And she's incredibly flirty. I had a crush on her then i got with her one night and now i just cant get her out of my head. I know she's trouble so i started to avoid her but she phoned me tonight and i could feel myself falling under her spell. Its so very annoying.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
lol do you like her or do you just want to get with her?

i genuinely can't tell from that post as the only thing you say is 'shes so hot.'

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I am assuming she may have a strong personality to go with it. That might help with the obsessiveness. Just break free, break free. Only you have the power. She'll call you to talk about her problems and thats it. Instead of wasting time with her, ignore her, and text a friend who you know cares about you. (most preferrably a girl, yeah I spelled that wrong).

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Valentines day. I feel hopeless, I have no friends or lovers to tell me Happy Valentine's day, send me cards, or even greet me. It feels like I'm just a useless sack of crap around this holiday.

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry, you're not alone. People who are single on Valentine's Day unite!!!
*raises hand for high fives*
High five :3

and listen to this dude ^
Valentine's day is stupid. Don't let ONE day that is used to sell worthless cards, roses that'll be dead in a day, and ugly teddies get you down. It's not like it should have any more importance than any other day for people that are truly in love.

And you'll find someone. You can't rush these things. :)

sammy p

Smash Lord
the fact that Sugar was the first voted out of survivor.... :((although i really dont like it, this isnt meant to be taken seriously hahah :bee:)

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I'm in a very serious relationship and we don't celebrate valentines day for hte reasons Alessandra pointed out.

it's stupid.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
the fact that Sugar was the first voted out of survivor.... :((although i really dont like it, this isnt meant to be taken seriously hahah :bee:)
I massively approved of her being voted out first.

Now what really bothered me was Russel not winning last season. Spiteful jury was spiteful.

I'm slightly bothered by Single's Awareness Day. I had to spend all 5 dollars to my name to get my mom something since she gave the guilt trip over the week, and I never get anything from friends. Kind of leaves me a bit bitter, though it's not driving me to hate mankind or what have you.

S l o X

Smash Champion
Long story short: Me and girlfriend who I haven't seen in a year make plans. Yesterday, possibly the worst day of my life thus far, we were supposed to see Dear John @ 7PM. She didn't show. I told my mom I would call her from my girlfriend's phone to pick me up. (I don't have a phone) I waited outside, hoping my mom would get the hint that she didn't show and stuff had gone wrong. By 11:30PM my mom gets here. I laugh. This is the third time there has been a cancel / no show on her behalf. I'm avoiding her until she 1) apologizes 2) tomorrow, if she decides to call/im/text me. Apparently her excuse is that I didn't call her, so she didn't go. (what is this, i dont even) Even though I clearly told her I was and even tweeted it before I left my house to go a party. (In which I didn't go in the pool and have fun BECAUSE of the date/movies)

(Read this over, doesn't show how bad my day was but it gets to the point. Waiting in cold because I'm shy/hard-headed for over 2 hours = YAY)

No, I wasn't going to watch DEAR JOHN alone.

I wrote something far longer and in-depth but optimum online is dumb.

Happy Valentines Day people. I think it's dumb but it got me some massive candy in elementary school so I'm not gonna rant.

sammy p

Smash Lord
I massively approved of her being voted out first.

Now what really bothered me was Russel not winning last season. Spiteful jury was spiteful.
i am aware that it was SMART to eliminate her, but shes the comedy relief for any season shes in, and i enjoy watching her! hahha shes funny

im a little irritated russel didnt win too, but i can totally see why he didnt win. i mean, would YOU like to give a million dollars to someone who kept you from winning it yourself?

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
lol do you like her or do you just want to get with her?

i genuinely can't tell from that post as the only thing you say is 'shes so hot.'
I got with her.

I am assuming she may have a strong personality to go with it. That might help with the obsessiveness. Just break free, break free. Only you have the power. She'll call you to talk about her problems and thats it. Instead of wasting time with her, ignore her, and text a friend who you know cares about you. (most preferrably a girl, yeah I spelled that wrong).
Not really a strong personality, its like she has this innocent air around her, and she's just really nice. She'll talk to anyone, she's not judgemental. The problem? Almost everything she does, the way she acts and talks is incredibly flirty and seductive. This is also helped by the fact that she has a body to rival Aphrodite herself and she must be like a sex addict or something, and she has her own house so she's not hampered by rules that parents might inflict. But even though she's all nice and girly and seeminly innocent, she knows how to use this to manipulate guys. It's hard to explain, basically she'll clearly be flirting with you but she never gets too flirty. Its like, think of the hottest girl in your school or someone you really fancy, now think of that person flirting with you all the time AND you actually have a chance of getting with that person, but you've been told to stay away from them because they're trouble. You know you should stay away from them yet every part of you is disagreeing.

Anyway i know i can probably stay away from her, its just that if i see her or if she phones me i can feel myself falling for her again. That's whats bothering me.

Also i just realised that i now only have one girl friend!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Well, you will have to know the consequences. You'd probaly get something from her but she'd probaly definetly get something from you. Then the next day she isn't there and your heart is broken. Its like a trap, but you want to be trapped, in a way.

One girl friend? Don't sweat it, you can get more. Just remember that friends shouldn't be a number to anyone, and you'll get more anyways if you are just you. (I mean like don't count myspace friends or anything, just be you and you'll get friends, and don't care about the number care about the great times)

Quality > Quantity

Stinko said:
Valentines day. I feel hopeless, I have no friends or lovers to tell me Happy Valentine's day, send me cards, or even greet me. It feels like I'm just a useless sack of crap around this holiday.
Ah shut up. Just kidding, I'm single too but I don't complain. Just read some Love Hina, you'll feel disturbingly better. (Just don't tell other people that you may have a connection with the main character, just get obsessed and buy them all like I did)

And you can get friends. I got chocolate from my sis. AND I ATE THEM ALL. Lol didn't leave any for her oops. : ] So you don't have to spend Valentines day with someone, its just another holiday, like christmas. **** I didn't get any... Nah wait I got a gamestop card.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
So... I guess I'm slowly getting back on track. I just hate that I'm kinda just stumbling around in the dark as far as what I need to do. But that's what negotiating with professors you haven't had contact with for the past two months is for. That's, of course, assuming the prof actually cares about their student trying to make ends meet.

Also, my dad points out that I don't talk to my roommate enough. So I had a chat with him last night. At the end, he's wondering if I'm actually going to fix something (we were talking in the kitchen). Awkward moment ensues where I have some incredible amount of trouble saying "Hey, I just wanted to talk a bit since my dad thought we didn't talk much." When I finally sputter out something to the effect of that, I go back to my room. And I feel horrible.

Why is it that I'm supposed to interact with the rest of the human race again?

EDIT: About Valentine's Day/Singles Awareness Day/whatever-PC-term-we're-coming-up-with-now:

I uh... just missed it. Seriously, though, the 14th of February is just that to me: The 14th of February.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom