• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something bothering you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsr2

Smash Lord
I'm scared again. My friend who I've mentioned before started getting real happy last time I was here because a girl confessed to him and they were going out. However, in the first week of school another friend of mine told me that something happened. I asked my friend what happened and he told me he got into a fight with the girl who confessed to him. I was hoping it was going to be like before, where it was just plain sadness and that he'll get over it somehow. However, this time is different. He just told me he was attempting suicide. **** it for being the weekend, otherwise I would have gone to my school's guidance counselor and told him about this and I have no way of contacting him. I don't what to do again. I don't know what I'll do if he actually does commit suicide. I need to help him, but how? I think he's been trying to get his mind off it though. He was watching Dance Flick and found it hilarious, so I assume he's alright for now. Anyone have any ideas of how I can help him?
I was in this situation before. My friend dated this girl for about a year. They broke up because her family didn't want him to date what they called him "a loser." Yeah they were pretty bad towards him so they eventually exasperated. He was super depressed and even told me that he was going to kill himself. So the best way I pretty much stopped him was hanging out with him as much as possible. I hung out with him so many times that he was getting annoyed of me coming over everyday to hang out. Eventually we talked and he came to a realization that she wasn't the only one and that he can find someone else. So eventually he stopped and he thanks me to this day because if it wasn't for me, he probably would've killed himself. So that is my best advice is to just hang out with him. But don't bring up the situation at all. Let him open up to you. I feel that he is about to if he told you that he is going to commit suicide. Eventually he will realize that there is more people and that he will not hurt others such as yourself if he goes away. So I hope this helps out for you.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Yeah I was texting him most of the day. He told me the girl even said she didn't want him to commit suicide and I said that she might still care for him even if a little, and too look at the bright side of this. If it means anything, this girl is like half Indian and her family wants her to be in an arranged marriage. Might have been the cause of this, but not entirely sure. If anything I'll talk to a guidance counselor about this if it gets any worse. My other friend said it might just be a phase.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Suicidal tendencies are almost always not a phase. Even if he is no longer suicidal, residual suicidal thoughts will remain for a long time. If he's that important to you, then my advice would be to get his mind off that girl. Get him to join a club, and find an engulfing hobby, your friends need to be doing something other than thinking his bad thoughts.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
I hate how people are arguing about hardcore and casual gamers. Who the **** cares if you went to 16 Melee tourneys and won 15 of them. It doesn't make you more of a man. Casuals will play Brawl once in a while and Hardcore gamers will play Nintendogs on occasion. So can someone please tell me why it matters?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I hate how people are arguing about hardcore and casual gamers. Who the **** cares if you went to 16 Melee tourneys and won 15 of them. It doesn't make you more of a man. Casuals will play Brawl once in a while and Hardcore gamers will play Nintendogs on occasion. So can someone please tell me why it matters?
It doesn't matter, at all. I just try to ignore it because arguing about it is really pathetic in my eyes.

*shrugs*

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
There isn't a need to argue. : ]

Although when it comes to playing a game with someone...

You'd want them to WANT to play a game deeply... It's sad when you beat most of your games and your friend plays games but can't even finish the first chapter... and get a head ache.

Although, I consider myself sort of Hardcore since I do want to be SKILLED at a game, but to also HAVE FUN.

Can't forget the having fun part.

Nintendogs? Meh... Although I'd play Lumines or bomberman or something lol. Or even Diddy Kong Racing 64. : D

Basically I like a challenge.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I'm stressed to an insanely unhealthy degree because of school. At least if I was dead I wouldn't have to go to school, I wouldn't have to write these essays that aren't good enough, at least I wouldn't have to do all this freaking work. That is currently my mindset, no matter how irrational I know it sounds.

Funny part is how these "nervous breakdowns" seem to occur every couple months.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I'm stressed to an insanely unhealthy degree because of school. At least if I was dead I wouldn't have to go to school, I wouldn't have to write these essays that aren't good enough, at least I wouldn't have to do all this freaking work. That is currently my mindset, no matter how irrational I know it sounds.

Yeah, dieing is easy; living is hard. The thing is to actually find something in life worth living for, so you can stop thinking about how easier death would be. Also ''Stop counting your problems''. I've kept reminding myself of this sentence lately and it's helped me a lot.

PolarBear

Smash Journeyman
Fore once I'm not going to complain here. I'm going to talk about how my day was actually good. I woke up this morning, looked at myself in the mirror, and thought how I looked like a miserable dead guy. Ive been pretty miserable lately. So this idea popped into my head to get a haircut. I got a haircut at this barbershop I never go to, and it came out looking great. I had this new confidence in myself. Then I went to school and was studying at the library, when I met a friend of mine from high school I hadn't seen in forever. We had a nice conversation. Then I went to my class, and was put in a group project with this cute girl in my class. I was hitting that off really well. After class I went to the game room, played some Melee with my friends, and made some new friends playing Brawl with some kids and whooping arse. I went home, ate dinner, worked out at the gym, and now I'm feeling good.

It's hard to give advice because I don't know if you're an overachiever, underachiever, procrastinator, high school student, or college student. I will say though, that this is very common because I know so many people that work hard, isolate themselves from the world, and feel miserable. The thing though is that they're such overachievers that they study unnecessarily and it's as if they're addicted to studying, staying up late, and drinking caffeine, and they don't admit to it. My friend does just as well as many of these overachievers at school, and he doesn't study as hard. It's because he's found an efficient way to study that works for him and he paces himself.

I often feel a sort of comfort in imagining myself as dead, as nothing, as not having any worries, but really, what lies after this life is a mystery, so it's best to make the most of what you have here. Try different study methods, maybe take easier classes, find hobbies that will relieve stress and help you enjoy life. I always thought that school was more about learning than grades. There's so much more to life than school work. I don't think a brilliant mind could even be one that has their head in the books all the time. Much of intelligence is applied in the world and discovered on your own, which can only be done when you go out, take risks, and forget about the text books.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Fore once I'm not going to complain here. I'm going to talk about how my day was actually good. I woke up this morning, looked at myself in the mirror, and thought how I looked like a miserable dead guy. Ive been pretty miserable lately. So this idea popped into my head to get a haircut. I got a haircut at this barbershop I never go to, and it came out looking great. I had this new confidence in myself. Then I went to school and was studying at the library, when I met a friend of mine from high school I hadn't seen in forever. We had a nice conversation. Then I went to my class, and was put in a group project with this cute girl in my class. I was hitting that off really well. After class I went to the game room, played some Melee with my friends, and made some new friends playing Brawl with some kids and whooping arse. I went home, ate dinner, worked out at the gym, and now I'm feeling good.

It's hard to give advice because I don't know if you're an overachiever, underachiever, procrastinator, high school student, or college student. I will say though, that this is very common because I know so many people that work hard, isolate themselves from the world, and feel miserable. The thing though is that they're such overachievers that they study unnecessarily and it's as if they're addicted to studying, staying up late, and drinking caffeine, and they don't admit to it. My friend does just as well as many of these overachievers at school, and he doesn't study as hard. It's because he's found an efficient way to study that works for him and he paces himself.

I often feel a sort of comfort in imagining myself as dead, as nothing, as not having any worries, but really, what lies after this life is a mystery, so it's best to make the most of what you have here. Try different study methods, maybe take easier classes, find hobbies that will relieve stress and help you enjoy life. I always thought that school was more about learning than grades. There's so much more to life than school work. I don't think a brilliant mind could even be one that has their head in the books all the time. Much of intelligence is applied in the world and discovered on your own, which can only be done when you go out, take risks, and forget about the text books.
Yeah as kids we don't really know what the purpose of school really is. Even though we hated going to it (only because we don't want to get up early for that), we still did two things. We socialized, and we learned. That's the only things important with school under College.

What year in highschool are you in?

how long were you being stressed?

Do you procrastinate, underachieve, overachieve, (like Polar bear said), etc?

Remember one thing, if you want to do well in school, it does take TIME and EFFORT on your part to do well. (I'm not saying you don't use these two things, but I am not sure where you are coming from)

Got homework? skip tv, do the homework first.

Try to take this as an opportunity to discipline yourself. Take this as a challenge.

Got a test? Prepare for it. Get some index cards/voice recorder, and writedown/record some information you would think would be something important from your text book.

Also sleep well before the test, eat well, have breakfast, the works!

If you are like most normal kids, you also are probably trying to balance in a social life after-school, so maybe you might be out all night before the test? Hey, what can you do right?

I always procrastinate a little, that is my problem. I just lack motivation, and the strict discipline of doing the hw first (completely) lol.

But if you are stressed, relax. Take a break from it. Mom and dad say no? Hey, speak up for yourself. Tell them to leave you alone, and that you need time to re-gather yourself. Re-evaluate yourself and see what you need to improve on with yourself.

Like "Oops! I woke up late again ;-;"

So what's the solution to that? Just check why you didn't wake up (alarm wasn't on for some reason) and just double check next time that your alarm will be on or whatever.

Things like that.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I turn into this little boy whenever I see this certain girl at scool. My heart starts to race, I mince my words and my head draws a blank. It's dumb because I'm not bad with girls and there is nothing particularly striking about her. Over a year since I actually flirtered with her and you'd think I'd be over this.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I need some serious help coming to a decision here.

Okay, so, while I was heading on my way home from school, passing by the hospital I live near like I've done twice every day for five years, I was ambushed by three guys who pretty much robbed me.

First guy comes up behind me, puts an arm around my neck, puts my back to the wall and demands I give him his phone. At first I don't know what to say - I've had a few pranks like that pulled on me before. I look around, and see the other two running down the sidewalk, also yelling to give them my phone. Guy in fronts says it again, and then I know they're not joking.

At this point, car passes by. The three try and hide me and pretend they weren't doing anything, but it's too late and the driver's roaring at them to leave me alone. He rushes past, but then stops and tries a U-turn further up the road. I've been taught a lot about what to do when being assaulted, so I decide that I've got absolutely no chance winning a fight three-on-one or running with a heavy school bag on my bag. So I just give up and hand my phone over to them. Then they bolt and the man fails to catch them. Next two hours are spent by me heading to the police station and reporting the crime.

I'm still wondering to myself, though, did I do the right thing? By giving it over to them, I just let them get away and I lose a £100+ phone. If I'd tried to resist, I could've gotten hurt but the man might have been able to help and get them off. The officer at the police station said I had no choice, and my ma said that I'd been right to hand it over. I... don't know what to think.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Talk to her as if she's your little sister.
I don't have a little sister and all my brothers and I have always been distant, there has never been any brotherly love(the same thing applies for my parents) so I don't know how to speak to her as if she's my little sister. What would I talk to her about? Also she's the same age as me. Maybe I'm not getting what you're saying.

I need some serious help coming to a decision here.

Okay, so, while I was heading on my way home from school, passing by the hospital I live near like I've done twice every day for five years, I was ambushed by three guys who pretty much robbed me.

First guy comes up behind me, puts an arm around my neck, puts my back to the wall and demands I give him his phone. At first I don't know what to say - I've had a few pranks like that pulled on me before. I look around, and see the other two running down the sidewalk, also yelling to give them my phone. Guy in fronts says it again, and then I know they're not joking.

At this point, car passes by. The three try and hide me and pretend they weren't doing anything, but it's too late and the driver's roaring at them to leave me alone. He rushes past, but then stops and tries a U-turn further up the road. I've been taught a lot about what to do when being assaulted, so I decide that I've got absolutely no chance winning a fight three-on-one or running with a heavy school bag on my bag. So I just give up and hand my phone over to them. Then they bolt and the man fails to catch them. Next two hours are spent by me heading to the police station and reporting the crime.

I'm still wondering to myself, though, did I do the right thing? By giving it over to them, I just let them get away and I lose a £100+ phone. If I'd tried to resist, I could've gotten hurt but the man might have been able to help and get them off. The officer at the police station said I had no choice, and my ma said that I'd been right to hand it over. I... don't know what to think.
You made the right choice. You could have beaten the 3 of them. It could have ended differently though, the fact that the man saw them and was coming to help could have meant that they would have ran had you just done nothing and he approached, you also could have dropped your bag and run with your phone to get away from them. But in keep mind that both of those scenarios could have needed with you and that man being severely hurt or worse, what matters is that both you and that guy are unhurt. I've been robbed like that before so I know the feeling of being violated, but believe me when I tell you that it passes in time.

TigerWoods

Smash Champion
Wherever you want me to be... If you're female.
@Riot: In a case like this, no matter what you did, you were not at a fault. It's almost impossible to really choose the BEST possible decision in a situation like this. You did the right thing.

It's great that they didn't pull a gun on you two or something though. Don't let it get to your head.

RATED

Smash Lord
RuNNing Riot: you did the smartest decision. You could get hurt and the other person ( the man who saw them) too. A phone no matter what phone is, is not more important than your health.

------------------

psssh I am so tired of this **** right now, seriously... There was/is a girl who I spoke, went to hang out, chilled and we could get along and had really nice conversations that I really enjoyed, in the times that we had Summer classes, but now that we are on the regular semester.... she just pass by salutes and goes or if I go to where she is to talk( I am starting to like her since she's the kind of person that I could enjoy being with) SHE is always with her friends and that's not bad but... I would like to talk to her like someday is getting annoying SO ANNOYING, her friends and her are the "kind of religious people that love and talk only that stuff. I feel like the distance grows, and grows and keep growing.

and yeah if you can tell, I hate religion ( I still believe there's some deity in some place of the world/universe) but I can't really get to believe in a specific religion cuz they are like "politics parties" and those kind of stuff, IMO it just separated people from each other or make small groups and more small groups like for example : Protestant with protestant, and the others like that.

It ****ING annoys me since I had those kind of religious trouble and I have lost friends and even a GF cuz of my inability to be a religious person.

I want to get to know that girl even more, what I can do to stop being kinda an "weirdo" since I can't get to be a religion person? and there's another people who feel like this?

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
@Merkuri, TigerWoods, RATED - Thanks, guys. I agree with you. Though my argument was more I might have been able to avoid a lot of trouble by resisting, I know my personal safety is more important than that.

Also, Merkuri, it wouldn't have been that simple. They had me against the wall, surrounding me on all three sides, and my bag's a backpack so I can't just drop that in an emergency. I'm not physically fit enough to barge my way through two people and run fast enough to outrun the third, so you can see my reasoning there.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
*agrees with those three*

All the cute chicks have boyfriends T_T

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
I wish that guys matured faster, i'd be less annoyed.

I don't have friends that are girls, because i don't trust them and every single time i try and make friends with one, they stab me in the back, so all of my friends are guys. But what really gets on my nerves is that an 18 year old senior in high school acts like he's in the 5 grade, thinks he's funny, and has absolutely no common sense whatsoever.

At lunch, this little sh*t thought it would be funny to try to flip a cup filled with fruit and try to catch it in his mouth. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it was unsuccessful. I was no wear near they guy, because i don't like him, he just sits at the table with my friends. He then takes the near empty cup after his failed attempt, and flips it again while on the table, and it just so happened that i was at the right angle where the syrup got all over me.

Now, i know he was trying to be funny, but i have put up with his sh*t for 4 years now, so i was annoyed. But, being the person with a wee bit more common sense, i got up and moved my stuff the the adjacent table. I said "are you serious?" a common saying amongst teenagers like me, and instead of saying "sorry" or "my bad" he had the audacity to make a joke. Then said, "she must be bleeding or something :)"

Oh the B*tch Flames were brewing. And everything in me wanted to destroy him where he sat, but i didn't. So, my question to my fellow smash community is: How long do i have to put up with this immaturity (when will they mature so i can carry a decent conversation without insipid jokes and actions)?

MooseEatsBear

Smash Journeyman

I don't have friends that are girls, because i don't trust them and every single time i try and make friends with one, they stab me in the back, so all of my friends are guys. But what really gets on my nerves is that an 18 year old senior in high school acts like he's in the 5 grade, thinks he's funny, and has absolutely no common sense whatsoever.

At lunch, this little sh*t thought it would be funny to try to flip a cup filled with fruit and try to catch it in his mouth. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that it was unsuccessful. I was no wear near they guy, because i don't like him, he just sits at the table with my friends. He then takes the near empty cup after his failed attempt, and flips it again while on the table, and it just so happened that i was at the right angle where the syrup got all over me.

Now, i know he was trying to be funny, but i have put up with his sh*t for 4 years now, so i was annoyed. But, being the person with a wee bit more common sense, i got up and moved my stuff the the adjacent table. I said "are you serious?" a common saying amongst teenagers like me, and instead of saying "sorry" or "my bad" he had the audacity to make a joke. Then said, "she must be bleeding or something :)"

Oh the B*tch Flames were brewing. And everything in me wanted to destroy him where he sat, but i didn't. So, my question to my fellow smash community is: How long do i have to put up with this immaturity (when will they mature so i can carry a decent conversation without insipid jokes and actions)?
If I were you, I would've given him a very intellectual lecture about how immature he was being about making such an idiotic joke. Some people need to just be put in their place, and given a good stern talking to in public to embarrass them to the point that they'll just stop. That might not be the brightest idea, and you might want to wait for more advice, but that's what I would do.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
So, my question to my fellow smash community is: How long do i have to put up with this immaturity (when will they mature so i can carry a decent conversation without insipid jokes and actions)?
Forever and ever.

Amen.

Edit:

If I were you, I would've given him a very intellectual lecture about how immature he was being about making such an idiotic joke. Some people need to just be put in their place, and given a good stern talking to in public to embarrass them to the point that they'll just stop. That might not be the brightest idea, and you might want to wait for more advice, but that's what I would do.
Yeah, and your "intellectual lecture" is subsequently heckled by this dude because he obviously couldn't give two ****s about anything else but his own antics. Hell, it'll probably put you in a position for more fun at YOUR expense over a prolonged period of time, all because YOUR hackles were raised.

Haven't ya'll ever heard of "live and let die?" Not like he put out anybody's eye or murdered an innocent (or, you know, robbed a person. Sorry to hear about that, Riot; glad you're okay). Just take it in stride, guffaw at his exposed back, etc. Reserve your wrath only for the most dire examples of stupidity that are inflicted upon you. Confrontation sometimes just isn't worth it, and it sure as hell isn't worth it with a bunch of High Schoolers.

Smooth Criminal

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Riot man it was totally the right thing to do.

Your safety is paramount in those kinda situations.

Rated you should NEVER have to change the way you feel to get things you want.It's not who you are so why change it?

Xianglian I have NO idea how you didn't punch that guy after he made that joke, Kudos for keeping it cool.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Mature rant
Haters gonna hate, you'll have to act mature much longer in your life than you can just be a kid and do stupid ****. I'm in 5th grade high school now (16-17 years old) and whenever there's no teacher we're just like "lol chalk" and throw **** at each other and everyone is just like lol he got hit, but two girls went to the teachers and told on us, trying to be all mature telling us that we were behaving childish.

Yet they run off and tell the teacher :|...

So **** girls and them hating guys for being immature at 18, I'm going to make sure I stay immature as long as I can.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
F

Haven't ya'll ever heard of "live and let die?" Not like he put out anybody's eye or murdered an innocent (or, you know, robbed a person. Sorry to hear about that, Riot; glad you're okay). Just take it in stride, guffaw at his exposed back, etc. Reserve your wrath only for the most dire examples of stupidity that are inflicted upon you. Confrontation sometimes just isn't worth it, and it sure as hell isn't worth it with a bunch of High Schoolers.

Smooth Criminal
This is the stupidest thing I've seen in this thread for a while, I hope people ignore this guy. He's basically telling you to ignore the **** *******s do. People pretending there isn't a problem isn't going to help anything.

Xianglian, My advice to you would be to give him an intellectual lecture' but don't do it in public because he'll just be an *** and make a joke about you in defense. Talk to him privately tell him to stop acting like an ***, be more careful and not to spill anything on you. Also if he does spill something on you again, I'd advise you to like buy some water or something and splash it on him(hopefully it won't get to this stage though)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
No, his advice is actually a lot better. You're better off ignoring people. Especially hopeless, stupid ones like this guy. You're just instigating him to do more **** and causing unnecessary conflict. Be the bigger person and DON'T stoop to his level.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This is the stupidest thing I've seen in this thread for a while, I hope people ignore this guy. He's basically telling you to ignore the **** *******s do. People pretending there isn't a problem isn't going to help anything.
Chill dude. Smooth Criminal is legit.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion

Xianglian, My advice to you would be to give him an intellectual lecture' but don't do it in public because he'll just be an *** and make a joke about you in defense. Talk to him privately tell him to stop acting like an ***, be more careful and not to spill anything on you. Also if he does spill something on you again, I'd advise you to like buy some water or something and splash it on him(hopefully it won't get to this stage though)
Although this would be an ideal solution (sans the throw water on him part) this would never work in real life. Stupid people will be stupid people and a lecture will not do anything to change them.

On another note, my right foot is pretty much busted from an intense sparring session a week ago but I have a Tae Kwon Do tournament in a week and want to practice so I don't fight like a fool then. Should I just let it heal or take the risk of training and possibly hurting it more?

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
My favorite band's last tour show in my state that i spent $421 dollars to see has ceancelled their show

....ahhhhhhhhhhhh

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698

What year in highschool are you in?

Don't worry, all that will stop once you get into college. No fights, just people hanging out and studying. Sure there may be some goofs, but yeah...

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I have to call my Aunt now who I can't stand, and she can't stand, and I have to pretend that I love her and it's good to hear from her. She'll cuss me for **** and stuff but it won't be as bad as I think it'll be.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have to call my Aunt now who I can't stand, and she can't stand, and I have to pretend that I love her and it's good to hear from her. She'll cuss me for **** and stuff but it won't be as bad as I think it'll be.
Why do you have to call her?

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Okay my friend (same from before) felt a bit happier, but then started feeling sad and stuff for no reason. I have no idea what to do with him anymore. I talk to him through text and Facebook as much as possible and tell him I'm there for him. Should there be anything else I should be doing to help him?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Okay my friend (same from before) felt a bit happier, but then started feeling sad and stuff for no reason. I have no idea what to do with him anymore. I talk to him through text and Facebook as much as possible and tell him I'm there for him. Should there be anything else I should be doing to help him?
No, I don't think so. Do you know why he is sad? Maybe you should ask him why... I mean, if you really care about him, ask him why.

If you consider on helping him further, you might get involved. But getting involved doesn't matter if you really care about the person though.

Do what you heart tells you.

Because if I don't call communicate with her she(and my other Aunt) will think that I'm just using them and that I don't appreciate all the things they do for me.
Hmm, I see. I don't think there is much you CAN do... Except prepare yourself in such a way that you wouldn't need the things they do do for you.

I mean I'm sure you both can't stand each other, but don't you love them just a bit?

Thatfatcat

Smash Apprentice
Man, is it hard to write short films. I've written a bunch of feature length scripts but it's really hard to practice brevity.
Short films are the most difficult media for me. I always want my story to be epic. but I never can fiinish the story in 10 minutes. It's rather annoying. But good luck dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom