• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some rules I followed to get better, by LunInSpectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
This thread is amazing. Lunin is definitely not overthinking this, as some have said. Analyzing how good players play is the only way to learn how to become one. It doesn't merely happen. This topic I'm sure will help improve my playstyle by leaps and bounds. Thanks a ton.

QuickSi1ver

Smash Cadet
I think the actions of players are almost purely based on the stored memory of previous fights. "I remember the last time I tried to dash attack him he daired me." The events of the past influence the events of the future in a large way but thats just my opinion.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Excellent post, Lunin. This should be stickied.

People need to know that your mental game, not technical skill, is what essentially determines your skill level.

Vro

Smash Lord
Nice bump, KSO.

I've read your 7 Habits at least five times through completely and, while skimming just now, still learn something new or understand it more. The top level requires the top optimized play, and your guide gives a plethora of tips to reaching optimized play.

Binx

Smash Master
I remember this thread too, pretty awesome lols.

Playing against people better than you is definitely the fastest way to improve

Also taking a 2 week break from smash gets rid of a lot of bad habits.

And recording your matches and analyzing them for mistakes, or even analyzing pro matches deeply can help you become a much better smasher.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Dude, I really dont know where i currently stand in terms of ranking in US Smash. I wont even go as far as to say im one of the best.... yea ill say that but" Lets just say im confident in ability" Afther ive played in 5 of more states. Ill give you honest answer. As of now i dont think ive rightfully owned enough people to answer that.
I dont care how long ago the last post was made Aesir just showed me this thread and Sora is god. LOL. and I thought I made scrubby posts. lol.

Zodiac

Smash Master
You put too much thought into it.

I believe that most smashers do these things subconciously; only a few are aware.

I think most of us act on impulse, do things because of experience.
You still need to learn these things before you do them subconsciously. I already follow a few of these, Im going to take the rest into acount, thanks for posting Lunin XD

Proverbs

Smash Lord
^lol, Zodiac, that guy hasn't been on the boards for a year now. I don't think he's coming back anytime soon. This thread is from 2006. Took me a while to realize that when I saw all of those '05 join dates.

Taylor-Corn

Smash Cadet
Wow rey, nice work! I agree with everything you've mentioned, and it all makes perfect sense too, those mental habits really do define a skilled player. i agree with gameangel in that smashers today tend to lean more towards their 'technical flashiness' sure, a guy can wavedash and lcancel perfectly all the time, but is it still considered skillful if u wavedash perfectly into my "FALCOOOOON PUUNNNNCHHH!'???? I think not =P
hahaha classic

Charlesz

Smash Champion
woah deep thoughts on the mental aspects of the game. gotta read this =]

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
How can I practice mindgames on CPU's?
by not playing computers and playing humans. Computers do stuff that humans don't, and you'll end up developing bad habbits if you keep playing them. If you don't know a lot of people near you that play smash, try teaching someone to play. That way you'll both improve and you won't have to deal with the cpu's bull****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom