1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 225,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3. Get the Smash Controller on sale this holiday for $26.99 on Amazon! Get the Smash GameCube Controller now!

4. Use the Smashboards Store to get awesome Smash stuff and support the site, like a Nintendo Controller or the Wii U - Gamecube adaptor ! Check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

Some rules I followed to get better, by LunInSpectra

Discussion in 'Melee Discussion' started by LunInSpectra, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
    Here are the rules I've followed:

->Play everyone better than myself as much as possible
    ->Create the best reactions
    ->Analyze as much situations beforehand and Determine the best options (know what to do all the time)
    ->Keep an open mind

->Do not think. Feel. (An acknowledgment to mind games)
    ->Be in complete control of my character

I had much more, but these are the most important to me.

-Kalas-, Drippy, Eonn and 3 others like this.
  2. djkarthik

djkarthik
    Expand Collapse
    BRoomer

3DS FC:
    0962-9800-7488
    You put too much thought into it.

I believe that most smashers do these things subconciously; only a few are aware.

I think most of us act on impulse, do things because of experience.

3. anti_dan

anti_dan
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

You managed to list the mindset of nearly all elite professional atheletes.

4. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Then again only a few are professional.

vtfl_marcos likes this.
  5. Flamestar666

Flamestar666
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

agreed karthik...
    but thinking ahead isn't too bad either.
    i just don't think that people sit there with some kind of a spreadsheet anayzing video or just watching video to get better *cough*lunin*cough*

it's all about the player style...
    if you don't have your own style, then you do have to take these things into consideration because you don't have the experience behind the style... making the need for this,,,

i predict this thread will be locked >.>;;

EDIT: also, remember that alot of things can happen in 2 sec... you can doubleshine, then wavedash and get grabbed... that alot in 1 sec, if say falco is coming bac down from an u-smash at 60%, then you on;y have 1-2 sec to react.i doubt you are gonna think "well, he can do this.. but then again... blh blah...." they are gonna play it safe or take a big risk, and that depends on the stock and %

6. darkatma

darkatma
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Hero

lol. Nice

I doubt that many pros actually place statistics on it though.

7. GameAngel64

GameAngel64
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

While the poster above me may be correct, I still think this is an interesting read. It may also be a wake-up call for some gamers who are too concerned with technical flashiness and yet make the same predictable mistakes again and again.

8. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Locked? Anybody who locks this underlooks the deepened analysis.

9. Yen is Peach

Yen is Peach
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

*takes notes*

10. Flamestar666

Flamestar666
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

you are assuming these are the habits of pro smashers... each person has thier different habits, styles, etc....
    this is another "what if" thread that talks about hypotheticals and etc.

have you even analyzed a video or a person playing?
    you have to prove something to be true before you can say "this is what happens"

some things i agree, with, but most, i do not.

11. Cra$hman

Cra$hman
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

i never really thought of all these things as seperate. i just lump the whole group into the category of "thinking while you play"

flamestar the fact is you do have to be thinking at all times, even during intense action. when you're in the middle of comboing someone if you're thinking about when they can double jump out you can follow them up there and continue the combo.

12. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

If you think about it enough, these all fit into what professional smashers do. The reasons these are all TRUE is because its only based upon 1 aspect :: Mind Games.

1) Prediction <--Can Ken/Isai/Chu/PC Predict you?
    2) Case Constructions <--Does Ken/Isai/Chu/PC know your options?
    3) Spontaneity <--Do Ken/Isai/Chu/PC always do what you expect?
    4) Dynamic Reactions <--Do Ken/Isai/Chu/PC always respond the same way?
    5) Patience <--Are Ken/Isai/Chu/PC stupid aggressive or smart agressive?
    6) Unpredictability <--Can you predict Ken/Isai/Chu/PC easily?
    7) Strong Mindset <--Do you think Ken/Isai/Chu/PC has a weak perception of smash?

13. azn_danny

azn_danny
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

Wow rey, nice work! I agree with everything you've mentioned, and it all makes perfect sense too, those mental habits really do define a skilled player. i agree with gameangel in that smashers today tend to lean more towards their 'technical flashiness' sure, a guy can wavedash and lcancel perfectly all the time, but is it still considered skillful if u wavedash perfectly into my "FALCOOOOON PUUNNNNCHHH!'???? I think not =P

14. Flamestar666

Flamestar666
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

that is one of the things i do agree with... thinking is a major part of playing competitively, that thing i don't agree with is eliminating possibilities that the opponent will do... so trying to say "ok, he's gona do one of X ammount of things" isn't practical... and will most likely get you killed..

this is over thinking it... just keep plsying and you'll get better

15. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

16. MyKo

MyKo
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

You Probably Can Tell After IP Tracking Me.
    omg another thread i can spam in? LOL kidding..

..ok this is the most useful stuff in the world..i might book mark it..lol

this is too informative, GG, everyone GOTSTA read this foreal.^^

17. KaNif

KaNif
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

..couldnt you have just said "fox and falco" instead of all that jeff and rey nonsense? made it way too complicated dude.. i think most players will play worse if they're thinking of all that stuff. experience goes a long way, and you do all that crazy bible code stuff with enough experience. Interesting to read nonetheless. 8]

18. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

LOL KaNif...I did the Rey & Jeff thing so Norcal & I ...I mean "I" can have fun.
    Oh yeah, I also did that because fox doesn't have a mind game but Rey does.

Whatcha mean by bible code stuff?

19. Caleb Wolfbrand

Caleb Wolfbrand
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Master

Lunin this is good ^_^ This explains a lot of what I tried to tell people around here and I can't say it right. Very nice. Thanks for doing it!
    It also explains how the pros can own you if you aren't aware of said things. Bing.

20. KaNif

KaNif
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Cadet

The whole bible code thing was just a joke, comparing the depth of your thread to that of the bible code (interesting, but maybe a bit overboard?) but, like all jokes, it's kinda not as funny when explained :laugh: anyways, like i said, it's an interesting read nonetheless. at least you're tryna talk about something fresh.. and not some dumb "need help implementing my wavedash" thread. :D

21. Wak

Wak
    Expand Collapse
    BRoomer

Really cool stuff, although noobs will always consider themselfes as professionnals :p

you got some really interesting points for explaining what's "mindgames", that's really impressive! I didn't know someone could manage that...

22. Blind

Blind
    Expand Collapse
    Honorbound

Yeah... thinking deeply about this game is a terrible way to improve. How on earth are you ever going to get anywhere if you analyze your style of play and look for ways to do things better? Pssht. Noob.

Oh. Wait.

Just because you don't have time in a fast paced match to actively run through all these things doesn't mean the mental process doesn't happen. The processes are, as LunIn put it, HABITS. As in, they go on without you paying attention to them. And you can cultivate them so that you will adjust properly to your opponent without having to pull out a graphing calculator.

"Just keep plsying and you'll get better." First off, I appreciate that the s key is next to the a, but try harder. Second, do you know how many people have played this game for years and STILL just roll and smash? You HAVE to be willing to dissect your game if you want to continue evolving it. Some people don't do it consciously, some do. Maybe you don't categorize it, but LunIn did. Oh teh noes. Teh 4rmag3dd0ns.

23. gundamboi

gundamboi
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

i would have to agree with what lunin saying. Obviously these mind game Set me back from playing jeff cause he predicts my style all the time and techs and their fore uses it to his advantage to basically destory me.

Their are options people make and i make choices from the option i think like comin from an edge for instance Ex: me falco vs random fox player.

i have choices on how he is gonna come back, is he gonna FF hop Foward B or maybe coming back from sweet spot the edge with UpB.

i have to look for diff way he will come back and pick the best option that closely or related to his style if i play him enough time.

This thread is a good way to think hmmm maybe opening options in ur game is a good thing. It will make u twice as fast on ur reactions as well.

24. Omeganon

Omeganon
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Apprentice

I never unestimate a challenger, I ever try to use my third or second character to see my challenger tactics after that he trust "more" in himself but when I took my main he being anger and that affects his playmode, a very important thing it's be agree when you lose or win, it's just a game, and I know lose isn't the best but nobody's perfect uh?

25. GameAngel64

GameAngel64
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

I think the difference is, there are people who play alone or play with the same group of friends for years, and then there are the players who play with many different people. If rolling and smashing is enough for a player to conquer his or her friends, that person feels like the "best smasher in the world," and sees no reason to modify his or her playing style. Even players who want to advance their game might not get far without being exposed to multiple different playing styles.

26. Pneuma

Pneuma
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

This is a pretty good way to analyze those things we do subconsciously. To be honest, I'm not sure I need to organize it as of now. Thinking too much about thinking and I'll start missing imporant things like stage placement, damage %age (for me or my opponent), anything the opponent is holding (turnips, bombs), and in effect, "fall off the bike."

I'm sure someone out there is fully appreciating this though, so gg. =P

27. Flamestar666

Flamestar666
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Haha, actually, i really like this thread, if i didn't i wouldn't be posting in here. The reason i was giving Lunin a hard time, was because he IMed me a link out of the blue, then i asked him what it was, and he took forever to respond. personally, i have nothing against what he said because for the most part, it's true... but i still don't think you should learn to overanalyze things... try to predict yes, but don't over think it or else you will get PWNED by an experienced player.

Honorbound... Oh ****ing no... i pressed s instead of a... grammer nazi? i think so...

and to the n00bs...(yeah, i'm talking to you... especially the ones who IMed me telling my how they like my combo videos even though i have a fat *** thing saying i don't even have combo videos
    http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=60043 ... like the one who told me "I liked your video evousion" < yes grammer nazi... he spelled it like that) don't think that you can sit there and read this and say "OMG i'm so pro!" you can't call yourself a pro and have it be true... you have to earn the title...

28. Greeenfalcon

Greeenfalcon
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

I do like this stuff..it's very helpful. Thank you Lunin.

29. Excel_Zero

Excel_Zero
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

Cool stuff.

30. gnosis

gnosis
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

The unexamined life is a life not worth living! And the unexamined smasher is a smasher not worth smashing...

Yeah though. I like this. I aim to do all this, but I never named it. Analyse an opponent's options, run them through their habits, compare them to your habits and how it might influence it, then react. All in a matter of seconds! And, once you've developed it, a good chunk of it is done subconsciously. Pretty amazing that that's even possible.

31. Blind

Blind
    Expand Collapse
    Honorbound

No, I'd be a grammar nazi if I spent more than a single sentence correcting you (or if I cared to capitalize nazi since it's really a proper noun, albeit used out of original context). Rather, it's a small comment that reflects the nature of your posting: you don't really care enough about communicating accurately to make sure that your writing is readable. Additionally, I wasn't being a grammar nazi. I was being a SPELLING nazi. Speaking of which, grammar has an "a" in it.

See, now I'm just giving you a hard time for the sake of my own amusement. As far as I'm concerned, I'm having barrels of fun.

I do agree with you; overanalysis mid-match is bad. But if you can work on these habits outside of a tourney match until they become split-second and natural to you, nothing wrong with that, now is there?

32. Umbreon

Umbreon
    Expand Collapse
    Moonlight Pokémon

lolol you guys are funny.

just play the game and do your best, that usually works. If you want to be better, practice.

if you ran away and spammed lasers on me like if I played zelda or something, I'd just fox ditto you and **** you. Get that gayass **** outta here, that's why this game in gay in the first place. Don't be a turd, all you'll get is hate. Dingle-berries ruin my character.

lol @ how many people take this seriously.

33. Link-NY

Link-NY
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Ace

This is really informative. i really need to work on all that is said on that list. BTW this thread should be stickies =D

34. Flamestar666

Flamestar666
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

well, i dunno about stickied...
    maybe you should just suscribe, no?
    LOL if you sticky it, you're gonna have n00bs (more n00bs that is) running around going... "LAWL! I CAN 11-STOCK ISAI AND KEN ON A TEAM!!!!!111eleven"
    XD, jk... but seriously.

Any competitve player should take most of this to heart, but for the others who play just to play, just have fun with it.

35. HugS

HugS
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Champion

Southern California (818) San fernando valley
    This is amazing lunin. Great job.

It's things like this that allow players to keep reaching a higher level. You have to analyze your **** at some point if you plan on improving at a good rate; if you ever want to be one of the best out there.

36. Xenoflame

Xenoflame
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Rookie

Very nice post, thank you for the thread.

37. Zanguzen

Zanguzen
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

• Premium
    no jk thats much of how i think wen i play lol and ive sometimes analyzed pro play and yah thats pretty much wut it is nice

38. FastFox

FastFox
    Expand Collapse
    Faster than most vehicles

• Back Roomer

This thread contradicts itself. Spontaniatliy is not forming a plan before hand, but it is thinking on the spot. I used to think like that, usually saying to myself, "Okay, if he dodges my n-air, I'll wavedash backwards and SH a drill.." This resulted in my only thinking about doing this, and it really screwed me over, due to the fact that I was focussing on carrying out my plan.

You cannot forese your own attacks, nor your opponents, that's why I would recommend not to try.

39. LunInSpectra

LunInSpectra
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Lord

I think you're confused. If you're not confused then I am.

It's Spontaneous to the OPPONENT, not yourself.

Also, you can forsee the Possible and most repeated attacks. Then you can apply the best action to what can happen. I don't think I should explain this analysis anymore, this is also informative, my goal isn't to argue. (Which means you don't have to prove me wrong, just pick up the ideas, believe what you want to believe)

40. The 5th Police

The 5th Police
    Expand Collapse
    Smash Journeyman

All of these habits are gain from experience. However, most people do not pick up on it. I know I just now realized that I should think of new ways to annoy my opponent, but not to repeat it tho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.