• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Some Falco Tricks

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I see people uploading their new ATs and ideas so I figured why not upload a few things of my own.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=03E2A2256E44B982

What is in the videos are in the description. Sorry for the bad quality. I think it's still watchable.
I know there are a lot of videos. No need to worry, they're all about a min or less long. Some are 20 seconds.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Omg Tommy, I officially love you :p

Have you used any of these techs in a match? (Notably bair chaingrab, cancelling phantasm follow-ups etc).

Looks like there's a new use for the firebird! I'm definitely going to try this in matches. The phantasm cancel follow ups look hard, but they look pretty effective as mix-ups.

Oh and if you like, you can send me replays of these techs and I can record them in good quality, or I could perhaps replicate them (I'll get there!).

Sexy stuff. I wish more players (including myself) could come up with these sort of things and be creative.

EDIT: Just realised you can bait shields by SHL'ing, then phantasm into firebird for the shield pressure.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Im probably going to add more stuff too. Ill try to get an SD card to record them and send them to you.

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
That reverse phantasm was pretty sweet, I admit.

Hey Tommy G, if you get the chance, I'd be grateful if you could incorporate some IFJS into the mix, coming from an experience player. Not to mention, my video was bad quality, so you can't really see what I'm doing.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Ill try but my quality isn't much better. I'm going to see if I can get an actual camera or if someone can record it for me with a screen capture device.

I added another part so go check it out. You're going to like what you see.

Edit: If it can ever finish processing...

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Once I find an SD card, I'll let you know :)

Ok the seventh vid finished processing...enjoy.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Very good stuff, i especially like the SCP into shield breaks (or even just to go behind the opponent... From there follows-ups like Bair, Jab etc can be really good too :D).

Also, I love how the falco on these boards are creatives ^^ I've some tricks and mindgames too, but some of them have already been discovered, so no need to show them. But I'll up some vids of me soon, and hopefully I can show you a few things.
(actually, I monder if some of my tricks are reliable on real matchs...)

Anyways, keep up the creative work, falcos :D

Denzi

Smash Master
That was fancy. Have you tried the Bair CG vs an actual moving opponent though? I have my doubts as to whether it's still a CG or not.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Theres probably something that can get out of it, but for the most part it's inescapable. The back air hits before any of their attacks and the air dodge forces them into the next grab.

Denzi

Smash Master
Theres probably something that can get out of it, but for the most part it's inescapable. The back air hits before any of their attacks and the air dodge forces them into the next grab.
Fantastic... Now we need a list of characters that it actually works on :)

Hyo

Smash Journeyman
This is great for someone like me, who is just itching to get onto the competitive scene. In fact, I should be attending my first tourney in a couple weeks and hope to incorporate some of this stuff in my game.

DX but my eyes hurt from watching the videos... it's not a complaint though.

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
Tommy_G if you need some suggestions for use with IFHS, here's one.

1.)
(Battlefield) Opponent is on the lower platforms (maybe to avoid Falco's chaingrab for instance) you perform a running IFHS, the shine strikes them and you follow up with a Dair.

Or the same situation as above, the opponent shields the shine and you strike them with a Bair, catching them off guard.

The shine has to be started at the beginning of the said platform and have to use your momentum to carry you to the other side. The spacing is hard to get down, but I want to see how effective it is in forcing people off platforms and on the ground (people with their anti-cg strats).

However, if you land on the platform in the process, you will have lag.

2)
Any Stage but, FD probably works the best. Opponent is at 50%+ damage. D-Throw to IFHS to reverse/normal falling laser . That's hard to pull off I know, not sure if can do it. Assuming they know the shine is coming and airdodge, you can catch them off guard with a laser or aerial.

People will know exactly what I'm talking about in regards to IFHS. This is too good, people have to know about it. Can't get anything done without being persistent.

3)
End of a chaingrab combo performed when the opponent is around 40% (last grab you can get off). You can try mixing this in if the opponent expects you to finish every cg combo with a bair. So basically, cg until 40% or last grab you can get off, IFHS, and then finish with an aerial or laser.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
Good **** Tommy G.

Have you already gotten phantasm cancelling down? Can't seem to find the right timings for the short illusions, but farther ones I got pretty good.

I'd love to see this used in a real match. XD

vKo

Smash Cadet
I cried.
Beautiful stuff.

ESPECIALLY the spike lock on Metaknight.

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Can you cancel the Phantasm using another button or not?
Because I set "Z" and "B" to special, and I can only do short (Where you hardly move at all, I can do the mid-length on command :)) ones by mashing "B"/"Z" two times in a row, instead of pressing "Z" then "B" quickly.

What I'm trying to ask is if you can only cancel phantasm's with the button you used to initiate the phantasm?

Also we need to catch up to the Marth boards in terms of how we get things done.
I hope to aid those Falco's in need.

Edit: I meant IAP or normal actually it doesn't matter. I use "L" to jump.
*Wantsogetavidofmyself....*

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
^ I use R for IAP as well. But to cancel when I'm not off stage, I use B for both Phantasming and cancelling.

Cross.

Smash Ace
I slide from Y to b for IAP but I can't seem to get canceling it down AT ALL. I have no idea when to press b to cancel it

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I'm trying from Y - B, as pretty sure X is much harder to then. Then I wouldn't have to only have R -> Special as a control setting and rest default.

:)

Basically the same timing as a regular phantasm I'm guessing Grace. >_>

Steel_Samurai

Smash Journeyman
wow, the bair chaingrab was flashy, if its inescapable this would be great to try out,
it looked like it worked on snake very well, but I think he may be able to drop a grenade

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
1.)
(Battlefield) Opponent is on the lower platforms (maybe to avoid Falco's chaingrab for instance) you perform a running IFHS, the shine strikes them and you follow up with a Dair.

Or the same situation as above, the opponent shields the shine and you strike them with a Bair, catching them off guard.

The shine has to be started at the beginning of the said platform and have to use your momentum to carry you to the other side. The spacing is hard to get down, but I want to see how effective it is in forcing people off platforms and on the ground (people with their anti-cg strats).

However, if you land on the platform in the process, you will have lag.
Ok this clip I just uploaded, is different than my entire thread on IFHS. Check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJwT1Ri-vM&feature=channel_page

I have what I think is the best example of IFHS which I also captured. The quality is poor, but if someone can't see the usefulness of this, I give up. Falco's Down-B is only one of a few characters that gain a "boost" on their FH Down-B special (Toon Link, Wolf, Pikachu are some others). however, I believe Falco gets the most use out of it.

2)
Any Stage but, FD probably works the best. Opponent is at 50%+ damage. D-Throw to IFHS to reverse/normal falling laser . That's hard to pull off I know, not sure if can do it. Assuming they know the shine is coming and airdodge, you can catch them off guard with a laser or aerial.
Here is an example of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNeIgUyqtQ&feature=channel_page

Check my channel page for more applications for use with IFHS. Works well OoS too.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I've been away at a tournament and havent been able to get any recording or experimenting done.

Because I moved from my usual group of amazing people, my in-match skill has gone down. I can still be technical but I need to get that practice in. Kinda like Silent Wolf(no disrespect) Everyones amazed by his tech skill but that doesn't account for the playing experience you get and the mindgames that come with it(not saying hes bad, but im saying is hes not as well known as ken or m2k even though he might be the most technical player in the game).

Ruuku

Smash Lord
Yo Tommy, I feel you on that. The same thing happened to me when I was taking classes at FIU's North campus during the summer while everyone was playing at the South campus. Gotta try to get in touch with some players in your area, man.

Anyways, interesting techs. I was already doing jab cancel into side B but I has no idea that it shield poked like that... Good stuff.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
In vid 3, couldn't Snake just pull out a nade when you mix up the CG?

Also, in vid 5, couldn't Snake just DI the Bair, and again, can't he pull a nade out?

Um.... the sheild break is probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in Brawl, so I kinda want your babies after seeing that <3

Zanthos25

Smash Cadet
This will be my last video about IFHS if you are tired of me rambling on about it. If someone out there cannot get some type of use out of it after this, oh well. I give up. At least I tried.

Why does no one use IFHS when edgeguarding? It can surely catch some opponents off if timed properly. Now if you don't know what I'm talking about, I uploaded another vid. This type of edgeguarding is not too effective with people with fast recoveries with hitboxes (Falco, Wolf, Pikachu). However, I'm talking about if Metaknight or another character is stalling by hovering near the edge. I simply drop down and use IFHS and push my momentum back to the stage.

Later on in the video, I show Falco using IFHS to keep an opponent pressured getting up from the edge (namely their full jump get-up). Someone please tell me how an opponent is going to respond in time to punish you getting up from the edge if you push away using it.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN5Waa0tfk&feature=channel_page

Name another attack of Falco's that can safely edgeguard opponents below the stage without the use of Firebird or phantasm. There is none.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
This will be my last video about IFHS if you are tired of me rambling on about it. If someone out there cannot get some type of use out of it after this, oh well. I give up. At least I tried.

Why does no one use IFHS when edgeguarding? It can surely catch some opponents off if timed properly. Now if you don't know what I'm talking about, I uploaded another vid. This type of edgeguarding is not too effective with people with fast recoveries with hitboxes (Falco, Wolf, Pikachu). However, I'm talking about if Metaknight or another character is stalling by hovering near the edge. I simply drop down and use IFHS and push my momentum back to the stage.

Later on in the video, I show Falco using IFHS to keep an opponent pressured getting up from the edge (namely their full jump get-up). Someone please tell me how an opponent is going to respond in time to punish you getting up from the edge if you push away using it.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RN5Waa0tfk&feature=channel_page

Name another attack of Falco's that can safely edgeguard opponents below the stage without the use of Firebird or phantasm. There is none.
I've been working on full hop shine mindgames since the first day I picked up Falco. It is useful. If other people don't care about it or think it's pointless, then just keep it to yourself. That is exactly why I don't really post any finding on this site.

§witch

Smash Lord
These videos are amazing. i need to learn the short cancel, I can only do the long one but I have that like 95% down.

Shield break was amazing.

Top Bottom