• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
If I'm not mistaken, Edge hasn't made an appearance in the majority of the tourneys listed and he didn't even place in Nexus, the second major. I just think he should have dropped more than just one spot and made way for other smashers.

But most importantly, what is the reason for Futile being dropped a spot. If anything, he was consistent throughout the update period, always placing top 3 if not 1st. So more importantly, elaborate on why he was dropped.

Thanks ^^
Its appropriate that DSF be moved up to first because A) he places consistently in singles, and B) he places consistently in DOUBLES... however, I dont fully agree with this list, but thats life I suppose

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
LOL @ Blitz

Its appropriate that DSF be moved up to first because A) he places consistently in singles, and B) he places consistently in DOUBLES... however, I dont fully agree with this list, but thats life I suppose
During the update period (and to a certain extent, even now), Futile has placed consistently as well, usually taking first. As far as Doubles go, during the update period, I'm pretty sure Futile has always placed higher than DSF.

Like I said, I need a very convincing, solid argument. Cuz DSF taking first just doesn't seem right.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
I'll try and answer some of these... Connor had a really strong case for being up there, top 10 even. Unfortunately his performance at Nexus hurt him a bit and there were players that placed consistently and earned a spot up there. It's not that Connor isn't good enough, he's definitely on the line for breaking into the rankings if he continues to play.

Romeo had been performing well even during the first update, and was easily top 15 back then if the list included. He had a solid performance at FFA on 5/25 and PNT on 6/1 proved enough to hold a position.

There were many small things that contributed to Futile's drop and even with those, it's still debateable. Several loses from Futile and wins from DSF provided enough to make the switch. Nezumi can elaborate more fully later.

Blitz I'm not exactly sure what the deal is between you and Nezumi, but if it's something personal please try to keep it out of this thread. Edrees and I worked really hard to get all this together too and you've hurt us both >.< don't be too bummed out over the panelist thing, inauguration requires unanimous agreement from the panel.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
There were many small things that contributed to Futile's drop and even with those, it's still debateable. Several loses from Futile and wins from DSF provided enough to make the switch. Nezumi can elaborate more fully later.
I can't wait to hear this.

$ick

Smash Lord
So, any word on updating the panelist a little bit? It'd be nice to have a panelist that isn't 3+ hours away heh. Tough to go to those tournies out there.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
We've already notified some people that are considered for the panel and will continue to do so as we all get more involved with the community (myself especially) Don't bother asking about becoming a panelist though, if you're well suited for the position we'll probably talk to you about it at one time or another.

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
In the span of the update Futile and DSF only played each other twice, DSF winning in both encounters. Futile also lost to Aero, as well as BoA and Teba (who were not on the prs at the time). Nexus plays a large roll in this update (although it isn't everything) and as it was one of the very few tournaments where most all of the previous ranked players were in attendance as well as most players in the region, his 3rd place rank, losing to DSF and Aero, had to be considered. The Power rankings are a demonstration of not simply placement but who a player wins and loses against. Although Futile placed first at some tournaments, most of them had a very low attendance of ranked players and for the most part excluded players like DSF and Aero.

All panelists take into consideration numerous factors in the decision making process, and weigh all things into careful consideration. This update was a particularly long process which was thought over, analyzed, and debated for many hours and many weeks. It is not flawless, but is attempted to be as close to accurate as possible.

I'd also like to state that it was not my decision nor any one panelists decision, but a collaboration of the three of us. I have no personal vendetta against Blitz, and hope that he understands that there was no vicious intent in the decisions made in regards to the Power Rankings.

While the current list may stir up a lot of debate, we hope that people will continue to attend tournaments and keep up the hard work to improve the accuracy in future lists.

$ick

Smash Lord
We've already notified some people that are considered for the panel and will continue to do so as we all get more involved with the community (myself especially) Don't bother asking about becoming a panelist though, if you're well suited for the position we'll probably talk to you about it at one time or another.
Cool cool, ty. And don't worry, I wasn't trying to imply I wanted to be a panelist or anything like that. :)

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
haha no worries, I didn't interpret it that way either. That post wasn't meant to be directed at you specifically, it was just to avoid a bunch of people requesting to be on the panel. Just a precaution, my bad if it came off the wrong way.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
In the span of the update Futile and DSF only played each other twice, DSF winning in both encounters. Futile also lost to Aero, as well as BoA and Teba (who were not on the prs at the time). Nexus plays a large roll in this update (although it isn't everything) and as it was one of the very few tournaments where most all of the previous ranked players were in attendance as well as most players in the region, his 3rd place rank, losing to DSF and Aero, had to be considered. The Power rankings are a demonstration of not simply placement but who a player wins and loses against. Although Futile placed first at some tournaments, most of them had a very low attendance of ranked players and for the most part excluded players like DSF and Aero.
Lets stop and analyze for a moment.

First, lets take a look at the two tournaments where DSF and Futile encountered each other in the brackets: UCSD and Nexus.

USCD - Futile played DSF in the winners and DSF knocked Futile down to the losers. Then the two played against each other in the Grand Finals. Futile took the first set knocking Alex into the losers. The second set came down to the very last match but DSF took the win, winning the tournament in the process.

Consider how Futile also beat DSF in one of the sets in the Grand finals. That, I believe, should not be overlooked. But regardless, DSF outplayed Futile that day. The reason he won.

Nexus - Futile knocked DSF into the losers in the winners bracket. Futile lost to Aero in the winners finals. DSF beat Futile in losers finals and lost to Aero in the Grand Finals. DSF did not take any sets in the Grand Finals.

Futile beat DSF once and DSF beat Futile once. Neither really outperformed each other. Aero took the tournament simply because he outperformed both players.

*Note* I don't know if the panelists considered this at all but... Futile was not seeded at all at Nexus. Due to certain misunderstandings, they forgot to put Futile in the bracket and Bone gave up his spot for Futile. Bone, not being ranked, was not seeded and thus Futile, unlike Aero and DSF had a much more difficult bracket. This is simply a side note and can be brushed off as a john. But I thought it was noteworthy.

On to Futile's encounter with BoA and Teba.

It's true, Futile did lose to BoA and Teba at the D4rk Sakura tournament. However, I do not think that should be too detrimental. Palmdale entered the scene during UCLA (the first SoCal major that Futile won) and they came with a bang. Palmdales players were able to compete with most of the players on the PR. Futile lost to BoA and Teba (who are now ranked) but that's because they are good. BoA and Teba are both consistent placers and do well in every tournament they go to. If a ranked player loses to an unranked player, the placings and consistency of the unranked player should be considered heavily. Whether they are ranked or not should not matter (after all, it's not like the PR is updated weekly).

To give a clear picture: If M2K or Azen moved to SoCal and started ****** top players on the PR, should the top players be penalized for losing to these new unranked players? Of course not. I hope that made my point clear.

To say Futile lost to Teba and BoA, two unranked players, is a very poor reason why he should be dropped. Very poor.

Also, Futile has only lost to Teba and BoA once. He has beaten Teba on more than one occasion, Nexus being one of them. And even if he has not faced BoA in tourney for the second time, BoA has never placed higher than Futile twice. It was only D4rk Sakura that BoA did better than Futile. No other time.

Now let us take a look at other tournaments (simply because I have too much free time on my hands... lol)

5/25 Family Fun Arcade - Futile earned first in this tourney. It had a very good turnout and both Aero and DSF were present.

Futile played Aero in winners finals and knocked him into losers. DSF played Aero in the winners bracket and lost. Then DSF played Aero in the losers finals and lost... DSF got 3rd that tourney.

*Note* DSF has never beaten Aero... ever. In every encounter, Aero has won. This held true all the way into Nexus. Just a side note.

5/31 Shuffle and Cut - Futile won. Nothing special here. Small turnout.

6/7 Shuffle and Cut - Palmdales future ranked players came down to SoCal for the second time since UCLA for a tourney. A good turnout. Futile beat Teba and Shadow, earning first in the tournament.

6/14 Shuffle and Cut - A big *** turnout. Palmdale came down again. There was also and appearance from CV (Aero included). Futile took first taking out almost all of Palmdales best. He beat Teba in winners bracket and in the Grand Finals. Teba did not take a single set.

*Note* This was also Gimpy's last tourney in SoCal. T_T We miss you Gimpy!! The after party hang out *****..........

That covers many things as far as Futiles placings go.

Now lets take a look at DSF...

5/24 Cerritos Tournament - I wasn't there but from what I remember, he earned first.

5/26 Ian Kobe Tournament - The tourney right after FFA... As far as I know, DSF did not earn first in this tourney. I believe he got second being knocked down into the losers by Blitz (who is not ranked at all currently)... o_0

5/31 Cerritos Tournament - wasn't there. Didn't really hear anything about it. I'm guessing DSF got first.

6/1 Play and Trade - Didn't DSF get third or fourth in this tourney?! All I know is that Hugo knocked DSF out of the tournament. First being Edge and second Hugo.

______

That covers pretty much most of it. Both Futile and DSF entered 7 tourneys out of the entire list. Both players placed well in all their tourneys but there was no real reason for Futile to be dropped.

USCD was the only tourney DSF outperformed Futile. Nexus, neither player outperformed the other. DSF just got one placing higher than Futile. Also, DSF has NEVER won a SoCal Major. The first major went to Futile(UCLA) and second went to Aero(Nexus). I believe that too should be considered.

Just my 2 cents.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
C'mon Kouryuu. You shot yourself in the foot. You say that dropping Futile because he lost to unranked players is a poor reason yet later point out that he beat those same unranked (At the time) players as if it were a plus. How does that work?

Feel free to point out if I am wrong.

Edit: Why am I even awake right now?

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
C'mon Kouryuu. You shot yourself in the foot. You say that dropping Futile because he lost to unranked players is a poor reason yet later point out that he beat those same unranked (At the time) players as if it were a plus. How does that work?

Feel free to point out if I am wrong.
Nezumi used the fact that Futile lost to Teba and BoA as one of the reasons why he should be dropped. So I just wanted to point out that one tourney shouldn't mean jack **** if Futile has beaten those exact players over and over again in other tourneys. And also that those "unranked players" are actually good.

Edit: replicate go eat a ****. It's not just Futile, there are other placings I can argue against that I feel should be corrected. Futile was just the big one since I didn't think there was any reason for him to be dropped.

I just want a PR with as little bias as possible and a PR which shows that time was put into making it. I do plan to be on it someday...... when I get good... hopefully lol.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Nezumi used the fact that Futile lost to Teba and BoA as one of the reasons why he should be dropped. So I just wanted to point out that one tourney shouldn't mean jack **** if Futile has beaten those exact players over and over again in other tourneys. And also that those "unranked players" are actually good.

Edit: replicate go eat a ****. It's not just Futile, there are other placings I can argue against that I feel should be corrected. Futile was just the big one since I didn't think there was any reason for him to be dropped.

I just want a PR with as little bias as possible and a PR which shows that time was put into making it. I do plan to be on it someday...... when I get good... hopefully lol.
If DSF ISN'T losing to people worse than him, and Futile is, even if it only happened once or twice, guess what? DSF should move up. Your bias is strong when you say crap like "one tourney shouldn't mean jack ****." You're not even trying to see why it's meaningful, you just instantly write it off.

What are you talking about there's no reason for him to be dropped? The No. 2 player had a slightly better track record in the time frame the panelists considered. That's reason right there.

not bummed about it. but unamious agreement from the panel i can see thus why nezumi's personal issues with me affects it.
lol high school

Like I said, I need a very convincing, solid argument. Cuz DSF taking first just doesn't seem right.
You sound like such a douche when you post stuff like this...

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I have no idea if these rankings are accurate or not, so no comment except GJ to the panelists for at least getting an update out in a timely manner.

Just curious what happened to darkfire and dc?

Nezumi

Smash Journeyman
5/25 FFA - Futile did not win but split first
5/26 Ian Kobe - Alex Won the tournament

As you said yourself, DSF outplayed Futile at UCSD, and though you think it is insignificant, knocking a player out of a big tournament like Nexus after them sending you to losers shouldn't be overlooked either. That does in fact mean that Futile was "outplayed".

Though BoA and Teba are good players, they weren't ranked before, and regardless of peoples prior assumptions of their talent, an official rank carries more weight. Whether he's beaten them in previous tournaments or not, having been ranked first in the power rankings and losing to unranked players, causing a placement of 3rd at a tournament isn't nothing.

Since NONE of Palmdale were ranked before, Futile beating them at Shuffle and Cut did not play as strongly as tournaments where he beat other players who were ranked.

Also, within the span of this update Futile has not beaten Aero either, since you felt that DSF losing to Aero was key. Futile lost to Aero at Nexus and his only other encounter with Aero, he opted to split first instead of play out.

There were numerous factors that played in the decision making process that go beyond what was discussed. While the facts may seem very black and white to you, there is a lot more involved in the steps taken by all panel to decide on power rankings. It is your right to disagree, and as it is a list that involves all members of the so cal community, there will be people in agreement and people in protest. That's how these things go.

Perhaps you may not agree with Futile moving down now, but if he is in fact more deserving of the #1 position then his performance at tournaments until the next update will speak louder than anything else.

I hope this has clarified things a little bit better.

Also for everyone, if you did not make it on the list or if you did not agree with your personal placement, the best argument is to prove yourself in the future. This list was by no means an easy decision and there were many players whose talent may have seemed to go unnoticed. We analyzed all players and did not ignore the consistency and talent of certain individuals who did not make the list. If you are not satisfied than we encourage you to keep up the work, so that it may show better results in the future.

And one more thing. The talent in so cal, and the drastic improvement from the last update till now from ALL players is extremely impressive, and we should all push each other to be better, to improve our chances of dominating other regions in the future. Keep up the good work, everyone!

oiMrXio

Smash Cadet
Updates up, go ahead and discuss. As always somethings are going to disappoint people, if you have any gripes about it attend tournaments and change it. =)

EDIT: oh and to address any immediate complaints about Mr. X, yes he's amazing, but out of the 10 or so tournaments he only competed in one.
Not being on the list makes me a sad panda :(.

Maybe I'm just not well-known enough yet, but I thought I did consistently well enough against power-ranked people to prove my worth.

So far against power-ranked people, unless my memory fails me I was:

1-0 vs Blitz
2-0 vs Danimals
2-0 vs D.C.
1-0 vs Edge
1-0 vs Gamble
1-2 against DSF
0-3 vs Futile (No johns, he *****).

Also, although no one probably noticed since results were never really posted, but on Shuffle & Cut 5/31 I had the losers bracket from hell, and I still made it to 2nd place (I'm pretty sure Glenn has a copy of the bracket). I lost to Gimpy early on 1-2, then proceeded to knock out Danimals, D.C., Ping, Connor, Blitz, and Fly Amanita to make it to the finals vs Futile.

Maybe I didn't get to attend a major, (no johns since I helped to host the main one these rankings are using) but I thought the power-rankings were based not just on the size of the tourney, but WHO you played and beat :urg:

The Game II

Smash Champion
Also, although no one probably noticed since results were never really posted, but on Shuffle & Cut 5/31 I had the losers bracket from hell, and I still made it to 2nd place (I'm pretty sure Glenn has a copy of the bracket). I lost to Gimpy early on 1-2, then proceeded to knock out Danimals, D.C., Ping, Connor, Blitz, and Fly Amanita to make it to the finals vs Futile.
I'll have to find the bracket, but yes, I remember that tournament enough, so I'll back up what you went through at that tournament.

--GCII

by the way, congrats to Gamble for getting on the rankings.

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
Adam!

Not being on the list makes me a sad panda :(.

Maybe I'm just not well-known enough yet, but I thought I did consistently well enough against power-ranked people to prove my worth.

So far against power-ranked people, unless my memory fails me I was:

1-0 vs Blitz
2-0 vs Danimals
2-0 vs D.C.
1-0 vs Edge
1-0 vs Gamble
1-2 against DSF
0-3 vs Futile (No johns, he *****).

Maybe I didn't get to attend a major, (no johns since I helped to host the main one these rankings are using) but I thought the power-rankings were based not just on the size of the tourney, but WHO you played and beat :urg:
ADAM!!!! :chuckle:

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I mostly agree with the list, except with Mr X not being on there and Edges spot.

Blitz, stop losing to randoms in singles, doubles doesn't count for everything ;)

DAMMIT CONNOR, WHY DID YOU **** UP AT NEXUS T_T

It's good to see who I have to beat now :)

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
TL dittos with Chip? I want to do that :D

$ick

Smash Lord
haha no worries, I didn't interpret it that way either. That post wasn't meant to be directed at you specifically, it was just to avoid a bunch of people requesting to be on the panel. Just a precaution, my bad if it came off the wrong way.
S'all good. :)

Do you guys check tournaments that were on only Allisbrawl? In person only of course.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
all I can say is ROB, no johns.

was I even considered for this?
You were very close to making it, very close.

Kouryu said:
To give a clear picture: If M2K or Azen moved to SoCal and started ****** top players on the PR, should the top players be penalized for losing to these new unranked players? Of course not. I hope that made my point clear.
Yes, they would be penlized. If Mew2King moved here and beat DSF three times and everybody else on the rankings or something, DSF would be penalized and probably drop below him. Everyone else would be penalized accordingly by going below Mew2King provided he did it at enough tournaments.

You would not be penalized if other people lost to him too, because you would both be penalized equally. However, if Mew2King lost to Futile and he beat DSF, it would be a penalty to DSF and good boasting to Futile. That's how it works. I don't care what anybodies name is, I care of their results in tournaments and my insight on their skill level and abilities.

Keep in mind that DSF took first in Arizona, and traveled to CH and took 7th (only losing to 2nd and 3rd place finishers) By no means is this directly taken into account, BUT when it comes to a huge huge huge controversey of two very close players, and we can't decide it, placing well out of state IS going to influence us slightly. We have to take into account little things like this, not as a huge effect but as a minor contribution. If the rankings were based solely 100% on results we could just do it mathematically and there would be no need for a panel. But human/smasher insight is needed so little details here and there do add up, as well as the panelists interpretation of each result. For example, I determined that beating someone in the loseres bracket, when you're tournament result is on the line and you really need to try your hardest, siginificantly beats out the fact that they beat you in winners when you feel a cushion and aren't as pressured.

Beating somoene in losers that took you out of winners also suggests to make better ability to learn that opponent and improvement over them. This isn't the sole reason DSF is above Futile, BUT it's a minor contribution, of many, many, that added to the decision on top of the results. DSF and Futile are closely ranked in results but when it comes to intangibles the panel determined that DSF's intangibles were enough to pick him over Futile. It's the same deal with all the other placements.

Mr. X *****, and I really think he does deserve to be on here asap. I felt very bad not including him considering he coudln't enter Nexus because he RAN it, but I felt like I had no choice because I could not compare the results enough. Don't worry, I have no doubt he'll make the next list.

Kouryu to be honest I could not really process a lot of your post logically, I tried man. It's just that you had many instances where you'd say things like it shouldn't hurt Futile to lose to Boa and Teba, but Alex should be penalized for losing to Aero a bunch of times. I just cannot compute it, I feel too many inconsistencies there.

Romeo is on because every tournament he has ever entered he has done well and beaten ranked players, and only lost to really good players. If you have played him and watched him play I really don't think you can deny his belonging on there, he is really good. We felt he went to just enough tournaments to prove this consistency (as opposed to Mr X., who needed maybe just one or two more appearances)

Blitz , Darkfire ("Bardull" whatever) , and Connor were hovering on the edge of this. I did not like taking Blitz off, he's a good player, but I felt like he was outperformed enough by those who made it on.

Sick - we found the result of any tournament posted on Smashboards or AiB. Nezumi appeared at most of those tournaments anyway so she knew what tournaments to use, and I went to about half of them.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm going to try to step my game up, even if that means using characters aside from the ICs (I'm thinking Marth right now).

ROFL

Smash Journeyman
im not saying he should of been on this list (because he shouldnt of)

but within the next 2 updates creepy fingers will be on here.

hes my favorite brawl player and he ****ing *****.

anyway besides that. whats with that one futile fanboy? i think its safe to put dsf over futile since he did beat him the last two matchups.

and im not saying dsf wouldnt lose if he came to palmdale :) but yeah futile lost to unranked people out here so it hurts. futile is amazing tho and one of the funnest players to watch on youtubes.

ajsmith401

Smash Apprentice
im not saying he should of been on this list (because he shouldnt of)

but within the next 2 updates creepy fingers will be on here.

hes my favorite brawl player and he ****ing *****.

anyway besides that. whats with that one futile fanboy? i think its safe to put dsf over futile since he did beat him the last two matchups.

and im not saying dsf wouldnt lose if he came to palmdale :) but yeah futile lost to unranked people out here so it hurts. futile is amazing tho and one of the funnest players to watch on youtubes.
if palmdale was a guy, you'd be all on his nuts right now, LoL ;)

Top Bottom