• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Socal Brawl Power Rankings - (February 3, 2010 - May 1, 2010) UPDATED

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
lol, I'll still definitely be an ICs main, but it'd be nice to have a good secondary for some of their really hard match-ups.

mio

Smash Ace
The list looks pretty accurate with the exception of D.C. I don't even remember seeing him in a tournament recently, and I think there are about 10 others that have clearly performed better than him.

...and Pamdale is too good.

Danimals

Smash Apprentice
looks like I am th only marth on the rankings

wait a sec..........

BoA you ******* your marth is ahead or is it your lucario mindgames

LMAO

If you anyone wants to get ranked you got to watch Gurren Lagann then youll be ranked guarentee!!!!!

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
5/25 FFA - Futile did not win but split first
5/26 Ian Kobe - Alex Won the tournament
At Ian Kobes' tourney, didn't Alex lose to Blitz in the winners bracket and split coming from the losers?? I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

As you said yourself, DSF outplayed Futile at UCSD, and though you think it is insignificant, knocking a player out of a big tournament like Nexus after them sending you to losers shouldn't be overlooked either. That does in fact mean that Futile was "outplayed".
At Nexus, DSF did not outplay Futile. I mentioned how neither player outplayed the other since both took each other out. However, if someone did outplay another at Nexus, it had to be Futile. Futile had a much, much more difficult bracket than DSF and still knocked DSF into losers in the winners(Did you guys consider how he wasn't seeded at all??). If he pulled something of that magnitude off, then I'm pretty sure the one who was outplayed was DSF. The first set was even 0-2. The second set came down to the last match and DSF just barely managed to win. Both players lost to Aero and to each other. I don't think either one of them outplayed the other, but if you look at the details, Futile put up a greater performance that day. Just saying.

Though BoA and Teba are good players, they weren't ranked before, and regardless of peoples prior assumptions of their talent, an official rank carries more weight. Whether he's beaten them in previous tournaments or not, having been ranked first in the power rankings and losing to unranked players, causing a placement of 3rd at a tournament isn't nothing.
I understand but I also asked about DSF's placing at Play n Trade. I'm sure he placed third or fourth. I can't remember exactly. Also, at Play n Trade, DSF lost to Hugo who is currently ranked 6th now(I can't remember who was the first person he lost to). At Ian Kobe, he lost to Blitz who isn't even ranked now at all. I think Losing to Teba and BoA (who weren't ranked at the time) shouldn't be as bad as losing to Hugo who is ranked less than Teba right now and Blitz who isn't even ranked at all anymore.

What most fail to understand is that the PR is not updated weekly, so it doesn't keep up with the competition.

As panelists, you should be aware of that and should not just severely penalize ranked players for losing to unranked players. Instead, as panelists, you should consider how well the unranked players, who beat the ranked players, place in tourneys and how consistent they are. If they are very consistent (Like Teba and BoA), the ranked players who lost to them shouldn't be penalized nearly as bad as say, losing to randoms who don't place at all.

Since NONE of Palmdale were ranked before, Futile beating them at Shuffle and Cut did not play as strongly as tournaments where he beat other players who were ranked.
I don't want to be redundant but as panelists, you should be aware that Palmdale is good. Real good. When Palmdale made an appearance at UCLA, some of their players took out ranked players at the time.

From what I can remember off the top of my head:
BoA took out Aero
Shadow took out Hugo
Creepyfingers who isn't even ranked atm, took out Ajax.

Was any of this even considered? Maybe back then during S&C it wasn't that big of deal hearing that Futile took out Shadow and Teba or whatever but Nexus, Palmdale showed how good they are and since the panels were updated after Nexus, there should be no excuse.

Also, within the span of this update Futile has not beaten Aero either, since you felt that DSF losing to Aero was key. Futile lost to Aero at Nexus and his only other encounter with Aero, he opted to split first instead of play out.
Are you serious...?? I'm disappointed. You don't seem to be able to keep up with the very tournaments your considering. Futile played Aero in the winners bracket (I believe it was winners finals) and took Aero to losers. Aero beat DSF in the winners bracket before playing Futile and knocked DSF out in the losers finals. During the Grand Finals, Futile and Aero split. But since Futile was in the winners and Aero was coming from the losers, Futile automatically earns the title of first, even if they split the money. Hell, if you stuck around, they even played it out. Futile won(LOL even if they went random/secondaries, they said they still played it out).

There were numerous factors that played in the decision making process that go beyond what was discussed. While the facts may seem very black and white to you, there is a lot more involved in the steps taken by all panel to decide on power rankings. It is your right to disagree, and as it is a list that involves all members of the so cal community, there will be people in agreement and people in protest. That's how these things go.

Perhaps you may not agree with Futile moving down now, but if he is in fact more deserving of the #1 position then his performance at tournaments until the next update will speak louder than anything else.

I hope this has clarified things a little bit better.
I'm very well aware of how the panels work, I'm just trying to point out flaws in your logic of decision making.

Also, just on the side note, taking in consideration outside tournaments is a very weak move. Even if DSF earned first at CH3, that should not be considered much at all in the updating of the panels. Futile, and pretty much the rest of SoCal did not attend CH3 and for all we know, if Aero and Futile went, they might have placed higher. Going to outside tournaments should not be considered much at all. The update should be limited to the scope of tournaments listed for consideration.

Kouryu to be honest I could not really process a lot of your post logically, I tried man. It's just that you had many instances where you'd say things like it shouldn't hurt Futile to lose to Boa and Teba, but Alex should be penalized for losing to Aero a bunch of times. I just cannot compute it, I feel too many inconsistencies there.
Maybe it's my fault for not being clear. My point wasn't that Futile should not be penalized but rather that losing to Teba and BoA should not hurt him nearly as much as losing to randoms who don't place.

I'll try once again to clarify by using actual examples:

Futile lost to Teba (who was unranked atm)

DSF lost to Blitz (who was ranked that the time)

Current update shows that Blitz is not ranked anymore and that Teba is.

My point is that DSF should be penalized more for losing to a currently unranked player than Futile should be penalized for losing to a previously unranked player. Does that make any sense?

Also, one can bring up the argument "what if Teba was not as good as Blitz when he beat Futile?"

To counter this, you should look at tournament results. Teba has consistently placed much higher than Blitz and thus showing that he was good, from the moment he made an appearance all the way till now.

So there is no arguing whatsoever when I say:

Teba >>> Blitz.

I hope that made things clear.

*Note* At UCSD, Connor who is currently unranked, took out DSF in crews and since crews is considered, I figured that it should have some significance. Just a small side note. ^^

Yay Connor!

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Connor went 1-2 at Nexus, that's probably the only reason he didn't make it :(

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Also, just on the side note, taking in consideration outside tournaments is a very weak move. Even if DSF earned first at CH3, that should not be considered much at all in the updating of the panels. Futile, and pretty much the rest of SoCal did not attend CH3 and for all we know, if Aero and Futile went, they might have placed higher. Going to outside tournaments should not be considered much at all. The update should be limited to the scope of tournaments listed for consideration.
Is Futile your gay lover? I don't know him at all but wow, you make him look horrible if you're his friend. Does he appreciate you campaigning for him and looking like a fool as a result?

LMAO out of state tournies shouldn't count? Wtf? How about the fact that it's THEIR FAULT FOR NOT ATTENDING? OOS is a huge deal because it has to do with how quick you learn and adjust to different play styles...

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
everyone needs to chill and eat a d¡ck, seriously. the rankings aren't gonna change because of arguments. eat a eat a d¡ck d¡ck

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
P... your like a little stray puppy running around barking, hoping to get a pat on the head.

Just so you are aware, this has nothing to do with Futile. Like I mentioned before, there are plenty of things I can argue against as far as the rankings go. And I'm going to start with Futiles drop and DSF's rise on the rankings.

Not too long ago I decided to ignore your posts simply because you take yourself so seriously online when your nothing more than a mere joke, prancing around acting like you know more than you actually do. Reading your post now just reinforces my resolve to ignore your posts even further.

There you go. You got your pat on the head. Now stop barking and disappear.

$ick

Smash Lord
Wow, this Futile fanboy is over the top. Calm down already. Why is it so important to you? Are you like one of those Moms that try to live through their kids, but doing it through your friend?

replicate

Smash Lord
Edit: replicate go eat a ****. It's not just Futile, there are other placings I can argue against that I feel should be corrected. Futile was just the big one since I didn't think there was any reason for him to be dropped.
haha I have no beef with you saying that futile should be higher--I don't think it's you being biased towards him because you're his friend or anything like that, I just think it's funny how Futile never says anything.

You're like "futile is thinking of quitting brawl" and "here are my personal reasons as to why he should still be #1." It's just kinda funny lol, it's like you're his PR agent or something.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
lol one of the few times I find myself on the same side as P.

Koryouu, You know Futile's my hero, but you gotta calm down a bit. Like I said, The biggest deciding factor in this new list was Most Likely Nexus, and while Bracket Strength is definitely taken into account (from what I've heard from the committee) the overall deciding factor is PLACING.

Alex got Second at Nexus, and while he WAS seeded, let's look at the people he had to play.

Alex took out Psycho ******, Lite, Hugs, Lucien, Ajax, and Futile.

Futile Took Out Skinny, Dark, Teba, Lucien, and DSF.

To me it looks like DSF had just as hard of a bracket, if not harder. I've got nothing against Futile, and I think he totally deserves the number 1 spot just as much as Alex. But you gotta face facts bro, DSF did better for this chunk of time. If Futile is as **** as we know he is, then the next couple months may move him right back to #1. But for now, lets let it stand as is, and let our smashin do the talking.

Side Notes - I think ajax should be higher, Plan 9 being number 9 is ****, connor is too good, i think Blitz should still be on, and smash drama is for the lulz.

Oh side note #2 - How could I forget Mr. X. You're toooo goooood

Side Note #3 - Lolz i love edits. Koryouu, you know i like you, but please stop insulting people, it doesnt help your arguments. Replicate is my friend, dont tell him to eat a ****. That would be an unpleasant experience for all.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
haha I have no beef with you saying that futile should be higher--I don't think it's you being biased towards him because you're his friend or anything like that, I just think it's funny how Futile never says anything.

You're like "futile is thinking of quitting brawl" and "here are my personal reasons as to why he should still be #1." It's just kinda funny lol, it's like you're his PR agent or something.
and the funniest part is he has no idea he sounds like this apparently. i mean seriously, it's either agent or butt buddies

ps: kouryuu, ignoring my posts isn't talking to me and then saying, okay, you're being ignored. i prefer when dumb people ignore me, though few actually truly do it (as you just demonstrated).

replicate

Smash Lord
you know I went on the melee discussion boards once upon a time
I saw someone ask in a completely inappropriate thread "Why are certain levels banned?"

I pointed out his join date and gave him a frowny face, and I received an infraction for "minor spam" from g-spot1423 supermoderator, or whatever his name is.

somehow I think there are other people more deserving. . . .

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
lol one of the few times I find myself on the same side as P.

Koryouu, You know Futile's my hero, but you gotta calm down a bit. Like I said, The biggest deciding factor in this new list was Most Likely Nexus, and while Bracket Strength is definitely taken into account (from what I've heard from the committee) the overall deciding factor is PLACING.

Alex got Second at Nexus, and while he WAS seeded, let's look at the people he had to play.

Alex took out Psycho ******, Lite, Hugs, Lucien, Ajax, and Futile.

Futile Took Out Skinny, Dark, Teba, Lucien, and DSF.

To me it looks like DSF had just as hard of a bracket, if not harder.
Touche. I should have looked at DSF's bracket before bringing it up.

But the reason I argue is because I don't think DSF outperformed Futile in the given time. Apparently, I was wrong about Nexus but overall, I think Futile put up a greater performance.

And allow me to reiterate, this has nothing to do with me and Futile. I would do the same if say, Connor was number one and bumped to second. It doesn't matter. Does anyone read my entire posts lol.

BTW, fluff, "eat a ****" is an expression we melee lovers love to use. I still love replicate (no homo) ^^

Maverick69

Smash Ace
lol i know koryouu. Eat a **** isnt a melee thing its kind of a socal thing. I rode home from nexus with replicate lovage great leon and plan 9. Many ***** were eaten to say the least. No homo.....Except for luggage. so homo

Samus-T

Smash Lord
i would like to add to this futile vs. dsf debate that the first encounter between alex and I was at the very first USCD tourney, and alex beat me in winners finals. so i havent beaten him everytime lol ^__^. alex also went out of state, took 1st at az12step and placed 7th at critical hit 3. although dsf lost to blitz at that tourney, blitz was ranked never the less. as far as my opinion is concerned, if a ranked player loses to unranked players that are good, they shouldnt be penalized if they are recognized as highly skilled players IMO. But ya **** happens. futiles amazing, and if he cares as much as everyone else apparently does, he should be able to make a change in these rankings easily.

but ya woohoo #3 lol

Shout outs!

Plan 9- your pr ranking...lol somone set that **** up haha too good

shadow- good **** ****** (i personally think he should be higher than hugs) but ya way to be a beast :)

gamble!! the only fox on the rankings! lol thats sick dude i knew u could make it on there ;)

kouryuu- calm down lol. if futile wants he can beast his way back to the top yo dont trip <3

danimals- connor looks like squirtle

connor- u look like squirtle

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i actually looked at the pr..

rofl

i think futile is number one in ALL OF OUR HEARTS

and rofl danimals

and rofl dc

count ur days people

one day i will play this ****ty game and ill be ranked one

i think its time to play dedede snake and meta