• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So you know they hacked Wavedashing into brawl right?

err

Smash Journeyman
..yea its kinda broken cos like i said all you have to do is hold Z while you're landing and bam free grab.

so my brother was doin alright with link

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
was doing some late night chatting with DynaDash via MSN and got her to try this out since she has homebrew already set up. So she got the codes for wavedashing and l-canceling. To point out some of the main things.

She said there is zero lag with the l-canceling, she compared it to canceling on Nintendo64. And that you will almost always block right after at first, causing unwanted rolls.

Metaknight is more broken, his short hop aerials are unpunishable, things like SH double Fair > Dair are amazing.

Ivysaurs up air becomes really good and has a lot of interesting set ups.

Peaches Float cancled Fair is "God like" and "you can do it as fast as your fingers let you"

She also was saying something about how the momentium of the wavedashes felt different like you can carry it over to another wavedash, ill have to ask her more about that later on.

All in all it seems very interesting, and Im really impressed that people were able to come up that the coding for this, thats not something thats easily done at all.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
She also was saying something about how the momentium of the wavedashes felt different like you can carry it over to another wavedash, ill have to ask her more about that later on.
from the videos I saw my best idea about wavedashing is that it behaves somewhat similarly to backwards long jumping up stairs in mario 64, where your momentum keeps building up as you do it repeatedly...

10bestguesses.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
"Your" game? Who ever said anything about modifying your Wii or your copy of Brawl? If you're going to pitch a fit about hacks then you should also be condemning every other Game Genie, Codebreaker, Action Replay, and any other cheat/modification devices in the history of video games for the same reasons. While we're at it, ban modchips, Freeloaders, and all other hardware modifications because that's not how the manufacturer designed it. In fact, no one should ever modify anything ever again because someone will inevitably dislike it.
Excuse me if I seemed a bit rash, as I was tired. It was foolish of me to post without further organizing my thoughts.

When I meant "my" game, I meant Brawl in it's purest state. Brawl unhindered by any hack and/or mechanic that would in any shape/manner/form/fashion change it from anything than what it is as of now. "My" game being "Competitive Brawl". That is the game that I play.

My argument is simple. Hacks are fine, as long as the competitive scene remains untouched. As in, hack all you like, it's your game, but please don't bring them into a tournament.

Furthermore, you tell me when a game genie/action replay/etc was used to modify a competitive game. And, if you do, was it a competitive game that is significant as Brawl?

Lastly, I do not mind people altering the game outside of the tournament scene for obvious reasons. Like people have said in this forum, who am I to tell others how to have fun? That is childish and stupid. However that isn't what I meant, but is again my fault due to me not thinking before typing.

However, wouldn't it make sense to keep the tradition of not changing the game in a COMPETITIVE tournament scene? If you wish to play competitive melee, then play competitive melee, but who are YOU or anyone else to tell me that this tournament scene is to be altered via hack simply because others cannot let go of the melee mindset?

I say keep the hacks to yourself, but out of the tournament arena. There's nothing wrong with having fun, but when your idea of fun clashes with another person's idea of fun, that's when problems arise, which is why hacks should stay out of tournaments, among other reasons.

Edit- Apologies to Ginger and to anyone else I came across as stupid in my post, lol.

XIF

Smash Master
Excuse me if I seemed a bit rash, as I was tired. It was foolish of me to post without further organizing my thoughts.

When I meant "my" game, I meant Brawl in it's purest state. Brawl unhindered by any hack and/or mechanic that would in any shape/manner/form/fashion change it from anything than what it is as of now. "My" game being "Competitive Brawl". That is the game that I play.

My argument is simple. Hacks are fine, as long as the competitive scene remains untouched. As in, hack all you like, it's your game, but please don't bring them into a tournament.

Furthermore, you tell me when a game genie/action replay/etc was used to modify a competitive game. And, if you do, was it a competitive game that is significant as Brawl?

Lastly, I do not mind people altering the game outside of the tournament scene for obvious reasons. Like people have said in this forum, who am I to tell others how to have fun? That is childish and stupid. However that isn't what I meant, but is again my fault due to me not thinking before typing.

However, wouldn't it make sense to keep the tradition of not changing the game in a COMPETITIVE tournament scene? If you wish to play competitive melee, then play competitive melee, but who are YOU or anyone else to tell me that this tournament scene is to be altered via hack simply because others cannot let go of the melee mindset?

I say keep the hacks to yourself, but out of the tournament arena. There's nothing wrong with having fun, but when your idea of fun clashes with another person's idea of fun, that's when problems arise, which is why hacks should stay out of tournaments, among other reasons.

Edit- Apologies to Ginger and to anyone else I came across as stupid in my post, lol.
you're still an idiot, sleepy or not.

To say that the community should be one way or the other is absurd.

Lets put aside the fact that Brawl is a busted game and hacking it could actually salvage the game to become a decent fighting game.

The competitive community will decide itself whether it deserves to be at tournaments or not.

If interest in brawl wanes and everybody starts showing interest in the hack, it will become popular. As a result, tournaments will most likely form and the hacked version could become the standard.

People make the hack, people play it, people share it. No one's at gun point here.

I dont know if it will actually become the standard, but it isnt a matter of should or shouldnt. It is a matter of will it or will it not.

I guess Counter Strike has no place in a competitive environment, since it's just one giant hack.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
you're still an idiot, sleepy or not.

To say that the community should be one way or the other is absurd.

Lets put aside the fact that Brawl is a busted game and hacking it could actually salvage the game to become a decent fighting game.

The competitive community will decide itself whether it deserves to be at tournaments or not.

If interest in brawl wanes and everybody starts showing interest in the hack, it will become popular. As a result, tournaments will most likely form and the hacked version could become the standard.

I dont know if that will actually become the case, but it isnt a matter of should or shouldnt. It is a matter of will it or will it not.

I guess Counter Strike has no place in a competitive environment, since it's just one giant hack.
Please don't insult me XIF, that was very rude of you to say that I'm an idiot. I've met you and I thought we were cool, I apologize if my opinion on this makes you think otherwise. If you said something that I thought was well dumb, I'm not going to lash out like that...

I see my opinion is very different to most here, and as such I'm getting hit hard...I'm sorry I opened my mouth with an expectation that my opinion would be treated with decency. I'll swallow my pride and leave this thread. I suppose I forgot that on the internet I have no value.

You are right though about the Hack effect, as well of the will it or will it not effect.

I do not hate anyone here, but personally I'm a bit hurt from the responses I've received.

XIF

Smash Master
I hate having to explain myself every time I say that.

I suppose on the whole I would not consider you an idiot. The stance that you are taking is certainly idiotic.

People need to remember that the community acts different than an individual. It is its own entity, and it is agnostic to such things.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
True, I was mistaken when I didn't look at the big picture. That's the reason why my argument seems well...shallow. Okay, I understand that now. I'll try to think more openly in the future on touchy topics such as this.

Sorry for the Drama.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
No problem, I did it in my last post before the one in response to you. It happens.

As it stands, it's still deemed too inconvenient to implement in tournaments. However, if a large enough group of the Melee-minded Brawl players want to implement this as their tourney standard, why not let them? Obviously a "pure" Brawl scene would still exist, as not everyone is willing to jump to hacked Brawl, but I don't see a reason not to split the scene if it becomes necessary. Judging by the huge number of Melee stalwarts a split may actually increase the overall number of competitive Brawl players.

See above.

See above.

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
True, many Melee enthusiasts seem to really want to modify brawl to make it into a more competitive game at a melee standpoint. Although I personally believe if you want to play melee you should play melee, I could see how a change could occur given the very large amount of people who appear to be intrigued by the hack.

It is interesting to ponder though the possibility of major tournament such as an MLG one picking up the hacks as standard though..

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Who cares if its hacked, why don't you just play the most fun game? I mean that's what your trying to get out of going to tournaments anyway.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
Yeah, if you enjoy melee, brawl, or the hacked brawl more why don't you play it. Does it really matter what a game is trying to be as much as what it is?

nicaboy

Smash Champion
don't bring this topic in here. on this site. ever. you're asking for a ban.
no really thats how all of ga acts melee vs brawl :laugh: thats not gonna ban you

Yeah, if you enjoy melee, brawl, or the hacked brawl more why don't you play it. Does it really matter what a game is trying to be as much as what it is?
no not really

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
I'll personally play regular brawl competitively until melee hacks are introduced as a mandatory modification in the standard competitive scene. See Waffle, I like both games (Melee/Brawl), I'm just personally against the idea of mixing them together. But then again that's not for me to decide, that's for the community as a whole to figure out.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace
I think they became 2 totally different games and whether they hack into it or not brings up a whole other topic then going into details it would be melee brawl and brawl HACKED tournaments which would be a very tedious process but hey just play which ever you think is fun and stop arguing that brawl sucks and melee is to glitchy so we can stop unnecessary arguments and play it the way you like it with or w/o wavedashing

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I think they became 2 totally different games and whether they hack into it or not brings up a whole other topic then going into details it would be melee brawl and brawl HACKED tournaments which would be a very tedious process but hey just play which ever you think is fun and stop arguing that brawl sucks and melee is to glitchy so we can stop unnecessary arguments and play it the way you like it with or w/o wavedashing
As long as everyone agrees that Barwl sucks.

ResidentWaffle

Smash Lord
I'm just trying to say whatever happens if the game turns out to be more fun on a whole then it should be played.

chckn

Smash Ace
This is getting really really rediculous. People dont understand the implications of manipulating the physics of a game. If you want Wavedashing then play melee. Brawl is Brawl. With tripping, no wavedashing, ledge camping, and gayness.

Leh

Smash Ace
This is getting really really rediculous. People dont understand the implications of manipulating the physics of a game. If you want Wavedashing then play melee. Brawl is Brawl. With tripping, no wavedashing, ledge camping, and gayness.
Theres nothing wrong with wanting to try to improve the game for the purpose of fun....

No one is saying this should be tourney standard, people are merely showing us a new way to play the game. Nothing is going to happen to our current way of playing at all.

I dont see how this is not accepted at all, at the very least someone can say "i dont like this because i didnt like melee".

Master Raven

Smash Master
I think it'd be interesting if people hosted mini-tournies of hacked Brawl.

Now we just need hitstun. >_>

MusicalMike

Needs to try harder
Slippi.gg
MUSI#321
There is a very simple solution for melee enthusiasts who are looking to satisfy their needs. Why hack, when you can just put a Melee disk in your Wii instead? I'm not trying to be rude, just saying (well okay I was a bit sarcastic lol). Seriously though, why change Brawl when you have a game that has already has everything you're trying to put into brawl? Personally I'd MUCH rather revive the Melee scene then try to modify the brawl one, because Melee is too good, and I miss that shiz. :)
Then again that's not my decision alone to make, but I am part of the community, and that is my input.

Leh

Smash Ace
There is a very simple solution for melee enthusiasts who are looking to satisfy their needs. Why hack, when you can just put a Melee disk in your Wii instead? I'm not trying to be rude, just saying (well okay I was a bit sarcastic lol). Seriously though, why change Brawl when you have a game that has already has everything you're trying to put into brawl? Personally I'd MUCH rather revive the Melee scene then try to modify the brawl one, because Melee is too good, and I miss that shiz. :)
Then again that's not my decision alone to make, but I am part of the community, and that is my input.
Think melee with new characters =D

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Lol. Seconded.

Dictionary.com for the win, xif.
Nah, I was just teasing him. There's a lesser known connotation meaning "ambivalent" or "non-committal".

I'm just not convinced that was the effect he was shooting for in that poetic rebuke, lol.

-Kimosabae

izzy24

Smash Ace
I think the only way for ppl to even start considering hacks in brawl is for good ppl that know how to use them to start posting "actual" crazy combos with different characters....that; or ppl beating snakes and metaknights with lower tier characters.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Some melee people are looking for something new and fun to play.

Brawl is new and has lots of potential to be something incredible in the minds of some players but just isn't quite there yet.

Therefor we see this situation now where players modify brawl to become something that can be fun to play for players who want to play Brawl in a way more to their liking.

Is this somehow wrong?

Some players have been playing Melee for years and years and it does sometimes get simply tired to play the same game regardless of how good it is.( I mean I know I don't play NEARLY as much as I did about 3 years ago....and I keep telling myself that I'd play the **** outta brawl if it had L-canceling and hit stun.)

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually really curious about this hack. At some point I want to borrow someone's TP and try this out. It actually looks like a lot of fun (and Ganon could be usable again). Once they add hitstun, I'm going straight back to CF.

Top Bottom