• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So you know they hacked Wavedashing into brawl right?

complexity1234

Smash Apprentice
OMG Slynkee, I just tried out Samus with WD and she's completely broken.

Air-dodge a direction, grapple afterward, air-dodge another direction, grapple afterward, airdoge & grapple a 3rd time, still have 2nd jump and up-b. Who needs bomb jumping?

Doing z-air on people is super easy now. Just go forward/backward/in place and zap them without barely leaving the ground. There's no lag upon landing with z-air so it's a perfect approach, retreat, combos, and easy to chase people around.

Waveland off platforms into missiles seems like it works but I'll have to get the hang of it more.

Seriously, I hate her Brawl form but playing her now is super fun & broken.
Lol broken or actually a decent viable character now? =P

Gingerr

Smash Lord
Brawl is a very lax competitive game i.e. it's not very good. I don't want to pull up threads and debates and etc because that will cause a big storm.

However, look at it from the point of view of what most competitive games contain. You'll find that Brawl lacks 90% of what is needed to be competitive and fair. For Jesus' sake (no offense religious people lol) but the "community" is already banning Metaknight, and we havn't even had the game for a year.

The wavedash hack isn't enough on it's own to make the game good. What's needed isn't neccesarily a wavedash, but rather, more offensive options. And that's just to start. We have a long ways to go before I (or anyone I'd think) can accept Brawl as a "good" competitive game.
This. Then even beyond this, there's already a silly broken competitive fighting game, it's called MvC2. People called Melee McV2 Jr. because of it's crazy technical skill and such.

Basically my point is that MvC2 is so broken and crazy, but it's played the way it is. Lol, the more infinites the better in that game! The community just plays it as it is, and I think that's how Brawl should be, too. People are going to love Brawl and people are going to hate it, just like MvC2, so let the lovers love it and the haters hate! :p

SynikaL

Smash Lord
Really isn't that simple when both games are competing for tournament interest and real estate in the same community; creating dichotomies, sects and civil warfare among that competitive fanbase.

If Brawl were not invariably and continuously encroaching upon Melee's desire to simply persist, there would be little worthwhile conflict.

-Kimosabae

SLyNKee

Smash Journeyman
I love kye :)

And you are making me real jealous manko, I wanna play around with samus with wavedashing/landing in brawl. Maybe ill pick up an action replay (assuming thats what kids use these days, last cheat devices I owned were Game Genie and Game Shark)

Also I want to know about L-Canceling! Some one give me a solid answer! Thats more important then wavedashing.

p.s. Kye, the only smash thats been happening with us at nexus lately is Melee :o

Equi

Smash Ace
Personally I'm all for it. One hack at a time, go for it. I wouldn't mind playing an enhanced Brawl. Add WD, speed it up a bit, throw in some hitstun and don't worry about adding l-cancelling, it is whatever.

And if this did happen, and modded Wii's did start spurring, I bet most people still wouldn't play it just because of their original prejudice against Brawl as a non-competetive game. It'd still be looked down upon just because it's like, holy cow, we've been hating on this game for five months during all of our free time anytime Melee is brought up, THE SUPERRRRRRRRIOR GAME! (not that I don't agree) that their minds would probably crash as soon as a virus such as enhanced Brawl reached the market. Like what, this game is playable? Oh my! We still can't like it! It would go against what we've been yelling and ranting about for five months... This this, is ludicrous! Back to Melee!

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
This. Then even beyond this, there's already a silly broken competitive fighting game, it's called MvC2. People called Melee McV2 Jr. because of it's crazy technical skill and such.

Basically my point is that MvC2 is so broken and crazy, but it's played the way it is. Lol, the more infinites the better in that game! The community just plays it as it is, and I think that's how Brawl should be, too. People are going to love Brawl and people are going to hate it, just like MvC2, so let the lovers love it and the haters hate! :p
I think the difference is that MvC2 games don't last up to 7 minutes and usually don't consist of horrible camp-fests that we sometimes see in competetive brawl.

:(

Eight 52

Smash Journeyman
I think the difference is that MvC2 games don't last up to 7 minutes and usually don't consist of horrible camp-fests that we sometimes see in competetive brawl.

:(
They are 3 minute campfests instead of 6. I for one accept our new hacked wii overlord. Maybe not for competitive play, but for ****s n giggles.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
What many Brawl-only and Melee-only players don't understand is that; no one is modding Brawl to make it more appealing to Brawl-only players, and no one is modding Brawl to make it more appealing to Melee-only players.

They are modding Brawl to make it more fun for people who loved Melee for years and who enjoy Brawl, but wish it resembled Melee just a tiny bit more.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
What many Brawl-only and Melee-only players don't understand is that; no one is modding Brawl to make it more appealing to Brawl-only players, and no one is modding Brawl to make it more appealing to Melee-only players.

They are modding Brawl to make it more fun for people who loved Melee for years and who enjoy Brawl, but wish it resembled Melee just a tiny bit more.
Best post on this thread yet.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Agreed.

On that note, would anyone who has the code installed like to play Wifi? I want to test it out vs some humans. Make sure you have the updated code though as I plan to use ROB.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
ok, if I'm not online though, it's cause there's another smashfest I'm going to tonight as well.

I was wanting to play some before going, but any time is fine.

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL

Well, at least for the most part MVC2 players at least admit they are playing a horribly busted game. Something Brawl players (and to be fair Melee players as well) for some reason refuse to acknowledge.

But the problem with Marvel vs Brawl is that in Marvel there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game mechanics. The game is busted because you have characters like storm that can fly away and spam fierce and build bar like nothing, and then Sentinel whose just absurd, everybody knows mag-fvcking-neto, and then you have cable with the awesome "Hyper Viper Beam to super jump cancel to more Hyper Viper Beams!!!" The characters are just overpowered, but the underlying rules every characters follows is not bad. You have blocks, grabs, wake ups, fireballs, attacks, dashes, and air dashes, and every one can use their bar for supers. None of that is inherently bad.

With brawl it's just... so bad starting with the basic rules. Lets just say tripping tops the list and get that out of the way, because that is such an obviously, fundamentally bad idea for a competitive game it sickens me. Then you have air dodging and auto sweet spotting, in a game that is supposed to revolve around edge guarding and knocking your opponent off the stage. It neuters the half of what makes smash a unique and good fighting game.

It just so happens that on top of that you have horrible character imbalance.

There was very little fundamentally wrong with Melee, but it was still extremely character imbalanced, and that is why I think Melee resembles Marvel.

If people want to play brawl thats fine. You can go and play Hokuto No Ken for all I care (wow what a busted game) but don't pretend there aren't glaring issues with the game.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Well, at least for the most part MVC2 players at least admit they are playing a horribly busted game. Something Brawl players (and to be fair Melee players as well) for some reason refuse to acknowledge.

But the problem with Marvel vs Brawl is that in Marvel there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the game mechanics. The game is busted because you have characters like storm that can fly away and spam fierce and build bar like nothing, and then Sentinel whose just absurd, everybody knows mag-fvcking-neto, and then you have cable with the awesome "Hyper Viper Beam to super jump cancel to more Hyper Viper Beams!!!" The characters are just overpowered, but the underlying rules every characters follows is not bad. You have blocks, grabs, wake ups, fireballs, attacks, dashes, and air dashes, and every one can use their bar for supers. None of that is inherently bad.

With brawl it's just... so bad starting with the basic rules. Lets just say tripping tops the list and get that out of the way, because that is such an obviously, fundamentally bad idea for a competitive game it sickens me. Then you have air dodging and auto sweet spotting, in a game that is supposed to revolve around edge guarding and knocking your opponent off the stage. It neuters the half of what makes smash a unique and good fighting game.

It just so happens that on top of that you have horrible character imbalance.

There was very little fundamentally wrong with Melee, but it was still extremely character imbalanced, and that is why I think Melee resembles Marvel.

If people want to play brawl thats fine. You can go and play Hokuto No Ken for all I care (wow what a busted game) but don't pretend there aren't glaring issues with the game.
Not to start a huge brawl argument here, because they're just not interesting anymore, but Brawl is a different game. Obviously tripping is ********, and the character's aren't balanced, as in most games. But other than that, the game is just different. You live longer (sometimes). That's the only thing that stands out about brawl. That doesn't make it any less fun or competitive. it just makes it different. you approach it differently. You still are fundamentally disadvantaged when you are off the stage, or in the air in Brawl, period, regardless of infinite airdodging and autosweetspots. anyway its not a fundamental issue, its just an issue of what you prefer in a game.

As for wavedashing, i dont know that it would be nearly as useful in brawl, or at least not in the same way as it was in Melee. One thing I did prefer about Melee (which, again, is a preference and not a fundmental issue) is the overwhelming amount of movement options, and it is literally the only fighting game there is with that many options for quick and fluid movement, so I am interested to see what kind of changes this would have on Brawl's gameplay.

To all the people who are scoffing at this development, grow the **** up and stop being douchebags. Change is GOOD. It is very very unlikely that this (or any hack, besides, possibly No Tripping) will become tournament standard, but stop whining because you think someone is trying to change your game. If you are a competitive player, you should WELCOME changes that make the game more competitive, increase the skill gap, increase options. It's not about changing it to Melee, really. Because, for example, if you increased hitstun in Brawl it would probably break the entire game. The only reason someone developed a wavedashign hack is because we KNOW about wavedashing, and we know that it was good, and it's reasonable to believe that it won't break the game. If you are not a competitive player this will never affect you anyway, unless you happen to go over someones house with the hack or something.

Leh

Smash Ace
I agree with Janitor. WavDashing sounds like a ****load of fun. Plus infinite AirDodge to Grapples with Samus? I cant wait to try this **** out. Not for competition but for fun lol. If it became tourney standard, i wouldnt care, i'd still play brawl.

And i COMPLETELY support the no tripping hack.
Like really...whos fvckin idea was it to trip...whos. WHY?
WHY IS WHAT I ASK?

When sakurai was brainstorming for brawl, did he seriously think "you know what a good idea for this game would be....tripping... ITS BRILLIANT". ****ing EASILY, EASILY EASILY EASILY the most ******** thing i've EVER SEEN in a game.

Master Raven

Smash Master
Speaking of tripping, I'm not going to kill people who trip any longer. No one deserves to lose a stock over something as incredibly ******** as tripping. I think it was a **** move of me when I killed Afro from tripping last time I played him lol, though at least you won the match anyway.

Footstooling is another thing I find really gay tbqh.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
now tripping is gay but fux dat^ lol i'm tryna get that money son

i dont like footstooling either (mainly because people generally do it on accident), and i really dont use it myself...but i've seen some people do some interesting things with it

Master Raven

Smash Master
Yeah money's on the line, and I do whatever it takes to win but tripping kinda makes Brawl like Russian Roulette, and I don't like it that way.

I think some of the things people attempt to incorporate with footstools are interesting, but I just don't like them 'cause they make certain spikes more difficult to pull off, like Falco's.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Brawl is not Melee 2.0 but that doesn't make it a bad game. Everything you can say from Melee to Brawl you can also say from 64 to Melee and that doesn't make Melee a bad game. (Apparent lack of balance in characters, No hit stun, no shield stun, hard to gimp, magnets on ledges, no combo potential) People need to learn to accept Brawl the way it is. The smash bros series are all good games; they're just very different to other games(including ones in the series).
Except that Melee didn't take away anything that N64 had, it just expanded upon what was already built. (except taunt canceling :confused: )

Master Raven

Smash Master
Taunt canceling is the ****.

It's funny watching Isai sometimes attempting to do it in Melee.

Gingerr

Smash Lord
I agree with Janitor. WavDashing sounds like a ****load of fun. Plus infinite AirDodge to Grapples with Samus? I cant wait to try this **** out. Not for competition but for fun lol. If it became tourney standard, i wouldnt care, i'd still play brawl.

And i COMPLETELY support the no tripping hack.
Like really...whos fvckin idea was it to trip...whos. WHY?
WHY IS WHAT I ASK?

When sakurai was brainstorming for brawl, did he seriously think "you know what a good idea for this game would be....tripping... ITS BRILLIANT". ****ing EASILY, EASILY EASILY EASILY the most ******** thing i've EVER SEEN in a game.
Tripping actually WAS a good idea for what they were going for, which wasn't a competitive fighting game. Considering in an interview Sakurai said that he wanted to put certain elements into the game where even sometimes the WORSE player would win, tripping is great for that.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Well yeah, Sakurai is obviously a brilliant game designer. No one could have come up with tripping, except him :-D

Gingerr

Smash Lord
He should have just made it so that characters randomly explode. That at least would have been more humorous.

Top Bottom