• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashing Grounds to the Future! 3

Hindawg

Smash Journeyman
After summer ends the SG entrances would be extremely low. Too many people going to be gone from the area, id guess around 8-15 entrances if it was once a month. The best thing would be to schedule them less often but a lot in advance and maybe people would travel to them, who knows....

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm sure they will consistently draw 20-30 like always, but imo there should be amateur brackets or something. :)
Amateur bracket would be awesome, but I'm not sure if there'd be enough time for that considering we've been doing only one bracket and still ending past 11.

We should hold a Pokemon Puzzle League side tournament ;).

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Considering how leisurely paced these are usually; smoke breaks, food breaks, just watching sets instead of playing tourney bracket matches; there really shouldn't be a problem. We would just have to try to actually get done lol.

Scythe

Smash Master
yeah Rat will be confiscating all cigarettes before you enter.

You will not get them back.

Rat

Smash Lord
yeah my breaks eat up a lot of time. My apologies. So is anyone taking over? If Dave doesn't do it. I could.

username12345678

Smash Apprentice
we'll all miss you Sveet. i hope you'll be coming back but if not then i suppose it cant be helped. im kinda new to this whole community but your a really cool person and these tournaments have (and hopefully will continue to) have meant a lot to me.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I never claimed to be a good TO. I only stepped up because the chicago area is a bunch of lazy *****es. Who hosted monthly tournaments when nobody else did? Me. Who started a power ranking when nobody else did? me. Who has been a figurehead for new smashers in the area and stepped up to try to be inviting to anyone interested? Me. I have put a lot of work into this community and I have never received anything back. People have taken advantage of me in countless ways, and I always let it go. This whole adventure has made me a better person, but in the end I don't feel like anyone has ever thought twice about how hard i've tried to make this community thrive. I'm glad my so-called friends are the first ones to say i do a ****ty job and its no big deal that i'm gone.

Good luck chicago. :facepalm:

edit-
Results thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=13039261
(btw barns i timed myself. It took less than 3 minutes to copy paste that all from tio as well as do the bb formatting... not my longest time spent on a post)

Tink

Smash Hero
lollllll....joe getting all heated up in this piece.....honestly someone will always step up son....smashers are great ppl and will always adapt to the changing of times!

edit: i would just like to say tho, that joe always seeded me terrible at these touranments and i will nottttt miss that 0_0.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Tink you can find a way to ***** about any bracket. You're just lucky you haven't had to face me in bracket in a while or i would have added your head to my wall along with Kels, Dart and Rat

Tink

Smash Hero
loll....if we had results, we can look back at the last 3-4 touranments where my bracket was like....duhwhattt?!?

but its all good...stronger brackets make you better~!

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Sad to see you go Sveet. I def appreciate the tourney effort and housing oosers almost every tourney. We'll have to get some games in when you come out of retirement.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Tink you can find a way to ***** about any bracket. You're just lucky you haven't had to face me in bracket in a while or i would have added your head to my wall along with Kels, Dart and Rat
LOLOLOL.

Tink, you complain about the brackets taking a long time, aren't you the one taking 30 minute breaks every other set to smoke pot with like 10 other people? The fact that sveet puts up with that **** and you are going to blame him for the tournaments taking long? And last I heard the bracket is seeded based on pools. It's your own damn fault your bracket sucks, no john, step it up. And honestly you expect sveet to bend over backwards for you just to make you a good bracket? You know how many times I have had to vs kels first round? Yeah I complained about it because it was gay but I never once *****ed to sveet and asked him to change my bracket position.

AND, didn't you run a SGs like a month ago and it took just as long? Yeah good **** tink.

Tink

Smash Hero
loll...i take those breaks when i have time...ie after pools...after doubles....when the break is there....im damnnn considerate about when we smoke sonn, so johns to you!

also, me and rat have run 2 smashing grounds, bothhhh of which have been done by like, 9pm withhhh very limited setups lolll....

ggs Mars for not nowing anything your saying :pP.

also, ur a 4th seed almost everytime....no duh your gonna get kels alot. im a 1st seed almost every tourny, i shouldnt be getting diked for getting a good seed sonn.

sanchaz

Smash Lord
theres going to be a new T.O? what??? chicago is silly. anyways madison will be having monthlies soon guys where i"ll t.o. yeaaaaa!!! awesome food, too. I"ll provide the link tommorow. gtg. and tink is right lol.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
After summer ends the SG entrances would be extremely low. Too many people going to be gone from the area, id guess around 8-15 entrances if it was once a month. The best thing would be to schedule them less often but a lot in advance and maybe people would travel to them, who knows....
I'm sure they will consistently draw 20-30 like always, but imo there should be amateur brackets or something. :)
I agree with eric, attendance is going to drop pretty hard this semester. If someone does step up to TO they should make sure to run them on an advance schedule and schedule during breaks (and with other TOs in the regions). Fall semester is always the worst.

Amateur bracket would be awesome, but I'm not sure if there'd be enough time for that considering we've been doing only one bracket and still ending past 11.

We should hold a Pokemon Puzzle League side tournament ;).
Amateur bracket wasnt happening due to lack of setups and participants.

we'll all miss you Sveet. i hope you'll be coming back but if not then i suppose it cant be helped. im kinda new to this whole community but your a really cool person and these tournaments have (and hopefully will continue to) have meant a lot to me.
Thanks roman, i appreciate your words.

sad =(. i thought i would get to play you at your max!
Maybe one day the phoenix will be reborn

Sad to see you go Sveet. I def appreciate the tourney effort and housing oosers almost every tourney. We'll have to get some games in when you come out of retirement.
Thanks. When that day comes, we will.

darkatma

Smash Hero
I don't agree with Sveet quitting
As far as I can tell Chicago tournies are awesome, and so much new blood out there to keep melee alive... it's awesome..

I mean if you got real life duties it's understandable, but you can always squeeze time in for melee.
anyways if you end up actually quitting, <3 and gl with life!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Amateur bracket wasnt happening due to lack of setups and participants.
Yeah, setups always seem to be a huge limitation... I'm proud to say that I've been helping out and bringing a setup to both of the SGs that I've been to though.

So... if Rat/Dave/Oro are going to TO, when will the next SG be and who will host it? I don't mean to rush anything though, it's especially not in my place to when I can't put in the time/effort to TO.

Mars-

Smash Champion
loll...i take those breaks when i have time...ie after pools...after doubles....when the break is there....im damnnn considerate about when we smoke sonn, so johns to you!

also, me and rat have run 2 smashing grounds, bothhhh of which have been done by like, 9pm withhhh very limited setups lolll....

ggs Mars for not nowing anything your saying :pP.

also, ur a 4th seed almost everytime....no duh your gonna get kels alot. im a 1st seed almost every tourny, i shouldnt be getting diked for getting a good seed sonn.
Oh, now that I think about it you might be right. Cause I remember you ran a tourny the weekend of ACEN, and like 15 people came. There were 33 people at this one. Hmm, more people, more time. Makes sence.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
Just sayin, Sveet, Jeff, you guys have been some of the friendliest most helpful guys in welcoming me and other newbies into your tournaments. You're modest even though you generally ruin me whenever we play (I recall Jeff 4-stocking me despite switching to Zelda), and you've just shown good qualities as people (in addition to 1337 t3k-sk1lz). Sorry to hear that you're both leaving. Good s*** guys.

Scythe

Smash Master
Jeff. You are going to retire without having beaten me.

You can't let that sit on your conscience can you?!

Rat

Smash Lord
Taj's placement is so weird. I can't tell if he's like super good or just like has a style that just beats some good people.

Smash Cadet
Woah woah Mars... just for the record, the car breaks aren't every half hour. They are usually very organized:

Before doubles, after doubles pools, after GF/during break, after pools, before GFs (assuming Tink is in them).

But anyway...

Sveet, it is very sad to see you go. You have been a good friend since I first started competetive Smashing all those years ago, in your basement. I still remember WiseLugia beastin my Sheik back then, and Tre woopin all of us. Though you have not always been the speediest/most efficient TO, you have always been a very good host, and always tried to help out the community. I do think you have to come to at least one more tourney, since I finally beat you in a set since I came back to the scene... but I want Demon blood. lol.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Woah woah Mars... just for the record, the car breaks aren't every half hour. They are usually very organized:

Before doubles, after doubles pools, after GF/during break, after pools, before GFs (assuming Tink is in them).
all i can say to this is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. prolly true tho.

Sveet, it is very sad to see you go. You have been a good friend since I first started competetive Smashing all those years ago, in your basement. I still remember WiseLugia beastin my Sheik back then, and Tre woopin all of us.
this. i remember walking into sveets basment for my first smashboards irl meetup(sometime in 06), and seeing you and brian and maybe twombly there. i was like WTF you guys play this game too. also his family made us random smashers spaghetti and garlic bread...too good.

everytime i came home on a break, joe would be down to have games at his place and get things going.

joe has always been a very nice host and has done alot for the chicago melee community. when smashers are coming in from out of town he is always the first to volunteer his time, energy and house to host them. alot of times other chicago ppl just assume housing will be offered by him, and he usually obliges. (shoutout to rat and cary for housing lots of people too :)).

Top Bottom