• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Smashboards Questions Thread. Ask site-related questions here. (Staff answers preferred)

Oracle

Smash Master
could you guys give me and answer please
The answer is because the forum is easily accessible to children. It would be bad to use swear words on a children's forum. Besides, the censors help distinguish the intelligence of the post you're responding to. Just look at how many words are astericked.

Why the **** **** **** can't ****ing swear ****ing words **** be allowed ****?

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I got a question why is it not legal to swear here if the first law of usa is these

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

you see here

the freedom of speech

so why can't we just a question
There's no "legal/illegal" here. Congress is not making these laws. The government does not own SmashBoards. SmashBoards is privately owned. As such, it would technically be allowed to say that only a certain type of religion can be discussed here and any other discussion results in a perma-ban. I don't think anyone would like that, but it's perfectly within their rights to do so...

And as Azua said, it's international. People from Canada, Australia, Europe, etc. are here as well, so this isn't just the US we're talking about here.

Forums would suck if so-called "free speech" were upheld anyways. Then people would be allowed to spam all they want without the ability to be infracted, and it would create clones of 4chan.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Even in the US, "free speech" doesn't mean you can say anything you want at any time. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Free speech means ideas, topics of discussion, petition and assembly for a cause, that kind of thing. It has nothing to do with literally being able to say any word or swear any time you want.

Not that any of that really matters on SWF for the reasons people stated above.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Even in the US, "free speech" doesn't mean you can say anything you want at any time. You can't yell "fire" in a crowded movie theater. Free speech means ideas, topics of discussion, petition and assembly for a cause, that kind of thing. It has nothing to do with literally being able to say any word or swear any time you want.

Not that any of that really matters on SWF for the reasons people stated above.
Yeah, that too.

Free speech is generally more in regards to political/religious/etc. speech than anything else. Like, you won't get hanged for saying "President *whoever* sucks!"

Who really cares if you can swear anyways? Worst case scenario you can do asterisks and it's not that hard for someone to figure out what you're saying, but it's still child-proof so younger audiences can safely visit here.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
You refer someone to the site and they sign up, filling in the "referrred by _____" part of registration.
It used to be worth points or something.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Rep system is gone and you don't want a stupidity infraction unless you want to be perma-banned.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I got a sexy infraction. ^-^

I sigged it.

But did they really give stupidity infractions? Wow.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Next person that posts in this topic and is not asking a question and not a mod answering a question is banned from the Pool Room.

Not kidding. Shut it.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
Senators work on rules, policy, etc along with forum disputes and whatnot.

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
MLG has had SWF since mid-September at least.

Afaik, the only thing different is that Friend Finder is likely never going to return** ;)

***please note that the above is a joke

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Because only premium members can make polls, wether it's posible currently to become one or not.

However, wether it changes or not, I have no idea. There doesn't seem to have been any problems with threads and polls that haven't been quickly solved with a cheery PM to a mod for them to add one, while alternatively if polls were for all, I can see a lot of pointless "which do you like/think/whatever"threads. However that's just my opinion, but I haven't seen any major complaints about it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I was just about to ask about polls, but i'm glad it's already answered.

I do have another question though. Seeing the new global rules, i've noticed that under "spam/advertising", advertising for a tournament in other threads wouldn't result in a infraction right? Now that expired points actually accumulate into permanent points, I would not want any unnecessary infractions. I've gone through that problem before, and i've got mixed answers from mods.

As well, is it really that appropriate to have signature infractions? Again with the expired points leading to permanent points issue, it seems silly that we would provoke a permaban with something as pity as signature infractions (which is almost 100% accidental). It's not even worth having a signature any more, especially when you frequently post quick reply, or reply to single quotes because of the risk of getting a signature infraction.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I had a discussion about that very thing. The "advertising" refers to stores and/or money-making ventures ("go here and sign up so I can win an XBox 360!!!"). Linking to some blog, forum, or Deviant Art page is fine.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Is there a limit to a number of notifications one can receive?

Cause I got on and answered to 39, and was wondering if there is indeed a limit.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't think there's a notification limit, but there is a PM limit.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Why do posts no longer count towards your post count (that sounds quite redundant...) when posting in the social rooms for the Regional Zones? The social areas aren't just for spam and have serious topics in them like all the main crew threads for that region.

What is an effective way to become a mod for a certain area if you feel that the forum needs one? Is there an application at certain times like there was for the SBR? Or is it normally just by other mods recommending you (but then what if that isn't an option...)?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Why do posts no longer count towards your post count (that sounds quite redundant...) when posting in the social rooms for the Regional Zones? The social areas aren't just for spam and have serious topics in them like all the main crew threads for that region.
This is half the reason those rooms were created. We are not going to enable post count simply because people sometimes have serious discussion there.
What is an effective way to become a mod for a certain area if you feel that the forum needs one? Is there an application at certain times like there was for the SBR? Or is it normally just by other mods recommending you (but then what if that isn't an option...)?
If you feel that a certain room needs more moderation, you can send a PM to an Administrator or Senator. You can also make a thread in Forum Disputes. As for becoming a moderator, there is no application process. The staff meets in private and nominates candidates to be voted upon internally.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
I don't believe there is. The process is pretty self-explanatory; apply through your user CP (under group memberships) and provide a link to a tournament you've hosting/are hosting, per the instructions.

Patinator

Smash Champion
Is there a limit to the amount of posts in a thread?

FFN, the other site I mainly go to, has pretty cheap user-made forums. Threads can only have 5000 posts. Does SWF have a limit? Obviously not 5000, but...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The RPG, I'm not sure. I think there was a big forum software update came and it was disabled and it was never reworked to the new software.

The rep system was removed after people abused it to both increase their rep (and heavily neg rep people) and the ability to leave anonymous messages (Specifically mattrep)

Azua

Scourge Cheerleader
Premium
BRoomer
How is it possible for your post count to go down?

This happened to Ange. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6909073#post6909073
We recently moved a lot of regional social threads into the regional room subforums that have post count disabled.
This resulted in a lot of people losing some posts.

Senators write policy and rules, do forum disputes, etc.
Currently I think I'm the only senator that isn't also an admin yet.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Since Dekuu didn't post it here..

Since they are now kicking inactive mods, why aren't they doing the same to inactive BRoomers? I stumbled upon some who last were on in '06.

Top Bottom