• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash

Should Godzilla and King Kong be swapped for MechaGodzilla and MechaniKong as bosses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only Godzilla/MechaGodzilla

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only King Kong/MechaniKong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
D

Deleted member

hercules-lede.jpg

Hercules
You want old? How about more than 2,700 years old. Representing Greek Myth. Hercules would be a strong character, with a moveset referencing his various labors and other Greek myths and legends. He would be based on the classical version seen in pantings and statues, but would have alts based on pop culture versions such the Disney film, the live action tv show and the Marvel character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Character:
Felix the Cat

Felix the Cat is one of earliest Cartoon Characters that existed before Mickey existed. He is a monochromatic black & white cat that goes on random adventures like any Cartoon Character.
Felix the Cat was made by Pat Sullivan and Otto Messmer and he was a character originating from silent film-era. He was later redesigned by Joe Oriolo while he was making a 1953 TV series based on him.
He is also one of Iconic Cartoon characters and from now on, he's owned by Dreamworks Animation (Shrek Confirmed?) and recently, WildBrain is making series based on Felix the Cat.

He could have interesting moveset, like he could use random stuff taken from his cartoons or he could use Rubberhose physics in the Fight. Maybe he could reference something from Dreamworks as a taunt or move.
He could have a lot of Alts in the game ranging from his Classic design to modern redesign.
He would be Middleweight character like Mickey and he could be one of Cartoon reps in the game.

I'm not telling why he should be added, but he would be nice addition since we don't have a technical "Dreamworks" rep in Pop-Culture Clash.

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
Rumpelstiltskin (Fairy Tales)
E51D6759-3145-4C0B-A2F2-EB3004F3D607.png

Rumpelstiltskin was a German fairy tale created by the Grimm Brothers in 1812. You probably know him for his appearances in Shrek: Forever After and Once Upon a Time. The original story centers around a woman who is forced by her king to turn straw into gold, or she will be executed. Luckily for her, Rumplestiltskin comes to aid her in exchange for her valuables. The last time she made a deal with Rumpelstiltskin, she was out of valuables. However, she told Rumpelstiltskin that the king would marry her and she would become queen. Rumpelstiltskin made a deal to turn the straw into gold, but only in exchange with her future first child. Out of options, she accepts the imp’s deal. Rumpelstiltskin turned the straw into gold one last time and the girl marries the king and they soon have their first child. However, she forgets her deal with imp and he comes to her to collect the child. She is so heart broken that Rumpelstiltskin gives her a new deal, guess his name and the child can stay.

For his moveset, Rumpelstiltskin could borrow from his many iterations. Rumpelstiltskin is known to use many different types of magic in his iterations, from turning straw into gold to unleashing dark magic. He is also known for his brute strength, the original story ended with him stomping his foot so hard that it sank into the ground and he tore himself up in half with both of his hands. In some iterations he has also been known to wield different types of weapons, including: swords, daggers, and magical artifacts.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Martian (War of the Worlds)
View attachment 346582
A bit of an odd one, the Martians from the War of the Worlds would definitely be a fitting pick stating the iconicity of the War of the Worlds and the iconic Martian Tripod. Owing to the lack of fighting ability, the Martian would be a ranged character, inside of a scaled down tripod. The tripod itself would be among the tallest characters in the game, towering over smaller characters, but would be no bigger than how tall Ridley is in Smash Ultimate at his full height. The Martians would attack using the arms of the tripod, as well as with other Martian weapons such as the Heat-Ray, Black Smoke, and Red Weed. (Which would be weaker than the ones seen in the novel due to the smaller size of the tripod) These ranged weapons make it so the Martian acts as a trapper/sniper type of character, as its large size makes it easier to take down up close and leaves it vulnerable around there.
Resubmitting Martians (Original book was published prior to the date we're working from here)

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
Job #52: Uncle Sam

1646942138440.png

Created for the War of 1812, Uncle Sam is a very modern version of a very old concept: creating a fictional personification of a culture. He's served as a representation of the United States of America for so many purposes, ranging from official positive government use like the famous poster shown above to use in political cartoons to criticize the USA. It seems everyone is in agreement that Uncle Sam is the Land of the Free, whether that's a good thing or not. As this is a silly little fighting game, we can have fun with this. Uncle Sam's moveset will be a combination of common American stereotypes (think country music, large portions for meals, materialism) along with references to real historical events pertaining to the States (like the rockets mentioned in the national anthem, or throwing boxes of English tea).

AlRex

Smash Lord
AlRex AlRex Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)
Yiptap Yiptap The King (Chess)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast King Arthur
Otoad64 Otoad64 Popeye
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Illustrated Ancestor
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Sherlock Holmes
Baysha Baysha Jack (Fairy Tales)
Oddball Oddball Peter Pan
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Little Red Riding Hood
@Darkonedagger Hercules
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Felix the Cat
evanwoo10 evanwoo10 Rumpelstiltskin (Fairy Tales)
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Martian (War of the Worlds)
HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 Tarzan, the King of the Apes
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Uncle Sam

My personal votes:
1. Popeye
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Little Red Riding Hood
Too many good options here, though.

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
1. The King (Chess.)
I think the King could have such a weird but amazingly fun moveset. The idea of using the mechanics of chess itself as the gameplay would be incredibly fun, and an overall strategic playstyle is rare to see in a lot of games like this. There's a lot of potential here!

2. Martian (The War of the Worlds.)
This is completely personal bias, but let's be honest - seeing one of the tripods (admittedly scaled down) as a character would be so cool. Aside from the tentacle-like legs and the heat rays they have, we'd need to add a couple of bits and bobs to them - but keeping to that sort of pre-60s sci-fi vibe would be amazing.)

3. Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes.)
Self-vote, yes - but his effect on literature as a whole cannot be overstated, as I originally mentioned. Honestly, I think he could have a ton of potential for movesets - plus he's public domain so if we're getting sued for anything in the thread it sure as hell ain't him LMAO

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
1. Little Red Riding Hood
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Popeye

honorable mentions: Hercules, King Arthur, Tarzan and Uncle Sam
Sorry to say again about the "only put your own in second or third place" thing. I'll count this for Sherlock up top and Red Riding Hood as second. Should make this a clear rule in the OP at this point, sorry again, folks.

1. Sherlock
2. Felix
3. Hercules (Put Kratos as Profile in Mythology section!)

I want to suggest a song for Beatles:
1. Let it be - The Beatles

Also other SEGA songs:
1. Plaleaf theme - Fantasy Zone (Arcade)
2. Main theme - Space Harrier
3. Grafitti Soul - Jet Set Radio
4. Sakura Wars - Title theme
5. Quartet Theme - Quartet (SEGA)

Also some profiles for Other SEGA category:
1. Ichiban (Yakuza)
2. Mary, Lee, Joe and Edgar (Quartet)
3. Alis Lansdale (Phantasy Star)
4. Nei (Phantasy Star)
5. Jacky Bryant (Virtua Fighter)
6. Zobio and Zobiko (House of the Dead)

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
AlRex AlRex Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)
Yiptap Yiptap The King (Chess)
AlteredBeast AlteredBeast King Arthur
Otoad64 Otoad64 Popeye
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Illustrated Ancestor
KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 Sherlock Holmes
Baysha Baysha Jack (Fairy Tales)
Oddball Oddball Peter Pan
DragonRobotKing26 DragonRobotKing26 Little Red Riding Hood
@Darkonedagger Hercules
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Felix the Cat
evanwoo10 evanwoo10 Rumpelstiltskin (Fairy Tales)
Pokelego999 Pokelego999 Martian (War of the Worlds)
HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 Tarzan, the King of the Apes
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Uncle Sam

My personal votes:
1. Popeye
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Little Red Riding Hood
Too many good options here, though.
Hercules
Popeye
King (Chess)

AlRex

Smash Lord
We seem to be tied!

Popeye: 19
Sherlock: 19
Little Red Riding Hood: 4
Chess King: 16
Martian: 6
Ancestor: 8
King Arthur: 5
Peter Pan: 2
Hercules: 7
Felix the Cat: 5
Rumpelstiltskin: 3
Jack: Jack :(
Tarzan: 0 :(
Uncle Sam: 0 :(

I could have a mini-poll for just Sherlock and Popeye, but I think it would be more fun to just include both. Both seem like inevitable/very natural inclusions anyways! So congratulations to Otoad64 Otoad64 and KneeOfJustice99 KneeOfJustice99 both! I’m currently traveling, but I will eventually find time to add both the detective and the sailor to the roster post proper.

Now for…
Job #53: Submit a toy character!
Consider this post a placeholder for a Barbie post I’ll add in a good bit.

I'm submitting AlRex AlRex 's Optimus Prime from Transformers.
My submission will be Optimus Prime, who was previously submitted. An alien who seems robotic and can turn into a truck. See what I mean by the classification for what counts as a robot (or that general category) being kind of complicated? Anyways, Optimus and the Transformers series as a whole are not only pretty important, but also included in numerous types of media. Optimus is arguably both a toy character, cartoon character, and comics character originally (to avoid confusion, I'll classify him under the first one), but also appears in a series of movies that, like them or not, are also heavily influential and successful. So Optimus obviously would have a wealth of material to pull from. The "transforming into a truck" thing alone makes him unique, but he'd also come equipped with a blaster and an energy axe, as well as, potentially, the Matrix of Leadership for use in combat.

D

Deleted member

F648E856-BF48-4451-8091-1C4AF5FB678A.png

He-Man
And I say, hey-ey-ey.

He-Man is an iconic, and highly memed, part of 80s pop culture. No matter how silly his show actually was, pepole will allways have a huge fondness for it. There are a number of reboots and spin offs to pull from.

Last edited by a moderator:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Character Name: Army Men
Character Origin: Circa 1938 (Though the concept of a "toy soldier" is much older.)
Character Medium: Toys.

I don't think we really have a "soldier" archetype here yet, so I'm going to go a step further and somehow represent an entire army. As such, I'm loosely basing them on the short Stephen King story "Battlegrounds." (It'll make sense in a moment.)

As opposed to keeping them on their little platforms as seen in media like Toy Story, we're going to have a "main character" that you play as, specifically the Radio Operator/Leader. They'll mostly have a stage-control playstyle, being able to summon different soldiers to do different things (for example, soldiers with rocket launchers, some only having knives, etc.) The main idea of a semi-summoner playstyle would really let them represent an entire army, in a sense! Also, their more powerful attacks could see them use vehicles such as helicopters or tanks.

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
He-Man
And I say, hey-ey-ey.

He-Man is an iconic, and highly memed, part of 80s pop culture. No matter how silly his show actually was, pepole will allways have a huge fondness for it. There are a number of reboots and spin offs to pull from.
And also the fact that there are not too many Swordfighters on this fictional fan-project.

AlteredBeast

Smash Lord
Job 53:

Hot Wheels Car (Hot Wheels)

First Hot Wheels ever made - Custom_Camaro - sold on 18 May 1968.jpg

Hot Wheels is one of the most popular toy brands in existence. We do not have any fighters based off of vehicles so a Hot Wheels car would be the perfect rep for toys. Also, there are no toy reps from Mattel on the roster. The car can fight like the Hornet from Daytona in that one SEGA fighting game. Finally, Hot Wheels is no stranger to crossovers in their toyline as well as the fact there was a Hot Wheels cartoon, video games and an upcoming movie soon. A perfect character to represent toy vehicles.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Slinky
1647118308988.png

I know someone else has submitted this prior, but the idea of a Slinky participating in death matches is an amazing mental image. Anyways, being quite possibly one of the most iconic and simplistic toys in existence, it's only fitting that Slinky should be included. Reference could also be made to Slinky spinoffs, such as Slinky Dog, in its moveset. Slinky could have a wide variety of attacking methods thanks to its fancy way of movement. All in all, Slinky.

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Job 53:Furby

Furby is an eletronic toy that was released in 1998 by Tiger Eletronics and Hasbro. Furby is a creature that resembles a hamster and an owl. the furbies appeared on The Simpsons, Robot Chicken and The Mitchells Vs. The Machines and the furbies are parodied.

But how will a Furby can fight since they don't have arms?
it's an excellent question, furby can fight with kicks and headbutts and furby's alt costumes is easy,they have different colors.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Can I submit Buzz Lightyear, or would he not count as a character designed to be a movie character first and a real-world toy later?
I would say Buzz is a special case, as the character is a toy in the fiction as well, and he’s so heavily associated/interacts with other preexisting real life toys. So maybe under this thinking, Winnie the Pooh or Chucky are both eligible. But I wouldn’t count Batman or the Power Rangers this time around.

Top Bottom