• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Pop Culture Clash

Should Godzilla and King Kong be swapped for MechaGodzilla and MechaniKong as bosses?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Only Godzilla/MechaGodzilla

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Only King Kong/MechaniKong

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlRex

Smash Lord
Sailor Moon: 24
The Powerpuff Girls: 15
Chun-Li: 4
Harley Quinn: 2
Peppa: 6
Lara Croft: 8
Elsa: 2
Pinkie Pie: 5
Motoko: 7
Samus Aran: 4
Female Pokemon Trainer: 1

Sailor Moon won the votes by the end. Congratulations to Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule !

Our next job...
Job #21: Submit a stage for any of the represented characters who don’t have stages.
Kermit, Darth Vader, Dracula, Santa Claus, and the recently added Sailor Moon don't have stages. So any stages that are applicable for them, you can submit. I may do a submission in a bit, but I may let people do this for a bit. Also, we’ll probably end up added two stages from this.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The Muppet Show

This stage is an equivalent to Pokémon Stadium, with its default/hazoff layout being the iconic dualplat - notably, while platforms will appear and the bottom platform is occasionally modified, those two plats will always stay intact. The forms are:
  1. Pigs in Space - a black hole appears the bottom hard platform, similar to Kalos' water form.
  2. Veterinarian's Hospital - the patient's bed is a walled platform with a springy floor
  3. At the Dance - friction is decreased on the bottom hard platform, and a disco ball that functions like a bumper appears at the top
  4. Swedish Chef - the oven is on fire, a small fire comes out and moves from left to right on the bottom hard platform on loop.
  5. Muppet News Flash - two extra, shorter, platforms are added above the stationary platforms, making it resemble WarioWare.
Once the "time!"/"game!" screen shows, Zoot appears from the bottom to play a single note.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Palpatine's Throne Room

Takes place on a platform in front of the throne room, with platforms that can climb on. There are pits that the fighters can fall into. The Emperor will sit in the back and watch the battle.

North Pole/Santa's Factory (Santa)

The stage takes place at North Finland or North Pole (Presumably, Greenland), where Santa's Factory locates.

The stage itself has layout resembling Walk-off Version of Summit with some platforms and the Stage on 1st Form is very Slippy. Better watch out from slipping on Floor.

After that, it shifts to 2nd Phase, where it takes place in Santa's Factory. The layout is like Hazard-off WarioWare Inc., but there are conveyor belts that move explosive presents at players. The belts can also move items or players in random directions.

After that, the Factory freezes due to Arctic climate and becomes Slippy before it reverts to 1st Phase on Cold Area.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
There will be many more opportunities to include a snowy stage later in this game, so I thought I'd go for something much more unique and pop culture-based for Santa here!

Job #21: FAO Schwarz

1640029680221.png

The most famous toy shop in the United States, possibly the world, and the dream travel destination of any American child growing up in the last fifty years makes an appearance as a festive fighting arena! This is an iconic and gigantic toy store that was open right on Fifth Avenue in New York until closing and moving recently. Millions of action figures, stuffed toys, dolls, board games, electronics, candies, sports equipment, and more would be sold here every Christmas, and the interior would always be decorated in a festive way so kids could feel like it was always Christmas. It's really a monument to the toy industry. Since it's a massive department store, it's also a massive stage, laid out as a cross-section of the FAO Schwarz building, complete with multiple floors. Toys would come to life and be interactable in every story, both as hazards and just stage dressing. Most importantly of all, the walk-on piano, possibly the most important symbol of the entire store, would be present, and it would indeed react by playing notes as fighters walk on top of it.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
This guy's the only one who didn't get a stage submitted, so here we go.
Dracula's Throne Room (Castlevania)
Throne_Room_-_Symphony_of_the_Night_-_01.png

Fairly simple walk-off. If Dracula isn't in the fight, you may see him in the background, sitting on his throne, silently judging you.

AlRex

Smash Lord
I hope my "roughly 24 hours" time frame for these isn't too bad for people, I've unfortunately seen people say "ahh, I just missed it", but I do want to keep the pace going a bit/generally keep things alive.

That said, here are the stages for this round.
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario The Muppet Show
@Darkonedagger Palpatine's Throne Room (Star Wars)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds North Pole/Santa's Factory (Santa Claus/Christmas)
HyperSomari64 HyperSomari64 Crystal Tokyo (Sailor Moon)
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote FAO Schwarz
AlRex AlRex Dracula's Throne Room (Castlevania)

I would say vote for your top two here. Like this:
1. The Muppet Show
2. FAO Schwarz

There's my votes, go ahead and give yours. 👍

AlRex

Smash Lord
I feel slightly overloaded on Nintendo content a bit. I know that's odd to say on a Smash forum, but we don't have any Sailor Moon profiles or music, for one. Although she did just get added, to be fair.

AlRex

Smash Lord
Been a bit long for this one, so I'll say:
The Muppet Show: 8
FAO Schwarz: 10
North Pole: 2
Palpatine's Throne Room: 6
Dracula's Throne Room: 1
Crystal Tokyo: 0

It's FAO Schwarz followed by the Muppet Show for the two stages we're adding from this round! Congrats to Dan Quixote Dan Quixote and Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario !

Our next job...
Job #22: Discuss Dracula and Santa Claus's movesets.
Halloween and Christmas for sure...

I think Dracula definitely needs some sort of move where he gets in close and bites the foe, potentially even healing himself through it. Hopefully that wouldn't be too broken. Turning into a bat for a recovery, mist for extra recovery/dodging, and maybe a wolf for some attacks also seem fair enough, given these vampiric abilities appear in both the original novel and Castlevania. Dracula honestly would have a lot of recovery options, given that he also seems to be able to teleport from time to time. For more long-ranged attacks, he usually lets out a spread of three fireballs in Castlevania boss fights. He can also hypnotize and control both people and animals. Not sure how to work that in without it being completely broken, unless he just summons some rats to bite you. For a Super, the big demonic Dracula from Castlevania fits, but I can't think of another two.

Santa could be a bit more loose with how we interpret some abilities. One Super would definitely have him rushing through on the sled with all of his reindeers, maybe another can have a bunch of elves ambush the foe, work on them with tools, stuff them in a big box, and then Santa can drop them down a chimney. He can also swing around his sack of toys, smack people with bells, maybe even throw out presents or lumps of coal. The more traditional types of toys also seem like fair game, ranging from dolls with pull strings, trains, cars, planes, blocks, balls, a Jack in the Box, and so on and so forth. Santa has also sometimes displayed cryokinesis in some media. Surely at least some snowballs would be fair enough.

If anyone has any other ideas, or feedback on mine, to give, it's definitely welcome.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Dracula:
Special: Dracula fires a bat at you as a projectile.
Forward Special: Dracula Lunges forward and tries to grab and bite you, restoring a small bit of his own health
Up Special: Dracula turns into a man-bat type monster and launches into the sky
Down Special: Dracula summons a group of rats that run across the bottom of the screen. If they hit you, they latch onto you and start biting.
Final Smash: This is one of those cinematic style smashes. With an evil laugh, Dracula goes all out. He summons the mists, the storms, rats, rats, wolves, and his vampire brides. The player characters look horrified, the screen goes black, and there's various attack sounds. When the screen fades back in, all the player characters look dazzed and Dracula is wiping his mouth with a good portion on his health now restored.

Santa
Special: Santa throws a present. After hitting the opponent (or the ground) a random item will pop out
Forward Special: Santa reaches into his toy bag and pulls out one of several random items
1) A Toy soldier. The toy soldier fires a gun
2) A toy robot: The robot continues walking across the screen. It can absorb hits and deals electric damage if touched
3) A toy doll: The doll latches on to anyone it touches, draining health, slowing them, and decreasing their jumping ability
4) A toy train: The train rapidly charges forward
5) A Ball: The ball bounces forward and off walls and platforms dealing damage to anyone it hits

Down Special: Santa laughs and shakes like a bowl full of jelly, reflecting any projectiles thrown at him and deceasing the damage to any attack that hits him
Up Special: Laying his finger to the side of his nose, Santa quickly rises into the sky

Final Smash: Santa zips across the screen back and forth in his sleigh

Job 22:
Dracula:

His Strong side smash attack could be Demonic Dracula's Slash, where his arm becomes Green and slashes in front of it with huge damage like Sonic the Werehog.

Neutral Special: Fang Bite - Dracula will do command grab-like move, which he grabs near opponent and stabs with his teeth, sucking out the Blood with drain effect for enemy and heal effect for himself. He has invincible while doing this move for while.

Side Special: Frankenrush - Dracula summons Frankenstein's monster in front of him and rushes towards the opponent like Zelda's down B with punch. The Frankenstein's monster has a Super Armor, so you can't kill him.

Up Special: Bat Form - Dracula turns into bat and flies for short time. You can control this bat like Ness' Up B and Dracula can reappear after the Up B will stop, but if it stops in air, it could lead to freefall.
It can do damage if he swops at enemy.

Down Special: Hypnotize - Dracula uses his Hypnotic power to mind control the opponent or the Assist Character to attack it itself (Which it means self-damage to opponent or Assist from hostile side). The Attack works for while and Opponent/Assist later returns to normal.

Santa:
Side Special: Snowball Throw - Santa throws snowballs at opponents with normal Damage. They can be chargeable to make the Snowball Bigger and deadlier. By some occasions, the Snowball can freeze the opponent for Short time and if it's bigger, it can make you freeze longer.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Not really made any contributions to the thread, but had some ideas I thought were cool when checking with the thread...

Having Santa be based around stage control would be really apt... Maybe he can throw a present which functions as a barrier or like a crate in smash, and it forces people to think around that... Having moves that capitalize on the forced reactions could allow for something really unique... I'd assume the sleigh would be up b, being controlled like Steve's up b, although a lot longer lasting and having a constant hitbox... This could be guidable, which could be one of the ways to capitalize on someone jumping over a mountain of presents... Say down b summons an elf which act not only as a meatshield but can remove the presents one by one if they're near it every 20 frames or so... Leaves side b which could probably be some kind of snowman summon... This could also function as a meat shield, but maybe if side b is pressed near it, he'll punt it forward like a bowling ball, acting as a pretty slow moving hitbox for even more stage control.. To clear up my ramblings:

Neutral B: Present Toss

Tosses a randomly colored gift in an arc forwards, has a pretty underwhelming collision hitbox, but stays in place if it lands on the ground as a Steve like block that can take up to 20% let's say... Can have up to 6 out at a time, after which the current ones must either be destroyed or disappear after about 15-20 seconds...

Side B: Snow Summon

Sets up a snowman in front of him, can be used as a meat shield, halting the momentum of anyone launched into it before breaking. They have 7HP normally, but if Side B is pressed near it, he'll pat it on the back and it'll go careening forward as a pretty slow moving projectile that falls off of ledges and is pretty strong...

Up B: Sleighbells?

Sleigh suddenly appears under him from weird dust, and can be guided like Steve's, although more generously guidable since it wouldn't be as fast... Pretty good damage, can use neutral b whilst using, and can cancel with jump...

Down B: Little Helper?

Summons an elf from same dust, destroys any presents in vicinity after 20 frames, and can take up to 30% damage before disappearing... Can have 3 out at a time...

Dracula is one I'd rather do a more generalized approach on, considering the way they're portrayed is way more subjective... He'd probably be a token hit and run, relying on passive damage to actually get the foe to KO percent instead of putting himself at risk for too long...

Neutral B:

Holds palm out, all in a manner that looks like Sephiroth's grab animation... If anyone caught in the pretty small range, they are stuck as Dracula turns into a bat, flies around them, and bites their neck or equivalent part... This then causes the opponent to start walking away from Dracula until they mash out as they would a usual grab... If they pass a certain percentage threshold however, Dracula has free rein of their movements... He can't attack, only movement, as pressing any attack button would end the state as all the shadow that once manifested the opponent now turns into a dark copy of their figure in front of them... This is a shadow clone, only one can be out at a time and they have 35 stamina... They are CPU controlled, and aren't that smart, able to run off ledges and such... Disappear automatically after 8 seconds. Pressing B whilst one is out would have Dracula teleport to exactly where his clone currently was, bursting out of it's body in shadow, destroying it. Full invulnerability allows for safe repositioning.

Side B:

Brief startup period as he manifests into form of wolf, before he then enters a charging phase, which, after releasing, he then pounces to a max of 75% of FD. Inflicts a pretty measly poison effect, doing 2% every second for 5 seconds if it connects, with high knockback growth. Gains power as charged too.

Up B:

Would transform into a bat before charging into any upward cardinal direction, pretty strong, but easy to see coming. Maybe lower fall speed when in this form, and if aerials use bat form, maybe he could have less start up on aerials, but unable to access specials until he hits the ground.

Down B:

Enters a stance that I envision looking like his idle pose as a boss in Smash, with this being a counter. He phases through the opponent and their attack straight forward as he turns to smoke, re-appearing behind them. Allows for free follow-ups which makes it more than just a literal smash counter, and it inflicts a poison effect for 2% every second for 4 seconds. Poison effects don't stack, but can reset if using the same poison move as the what the opponent is currently afflicted with...

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I'll pretty much just add another Super idea + expand on one for Dracula and two more for Santa, since otherwise, we have some pretty complete looking stuff for them (thanks to the three of you Oddball Oddball Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds T Trevenant !)

Dracula Supers
Level 1
Demonic Dracula:
From the Castlevania games, it'll basically be done like Giga Bowser in Ultimate here, with Dracula turning into a giant, monstrous demon, then attacking from the background of the stage.
Level 2
Castle Dracula:
Dracula causes a giant castle to sprout from the stage temporarily, spiking foes upward. You can fight on it for a bit before it disappears.
Level 3
What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse:
What I'll dub Oddball's idea. Perhaps I'm too heavy on the Castlevania references. :O

Santa Claus Supers
Level 1
Naughty or Nice:
Santa will pull out his list, then check it off. If you're on Santa's team, you'll be assigned some random beneficial status effects (giant, invincible, etc.). If you're attacking Santa, you'll be assigned bad status effects (shrunken down, poisoned, etc.).
Level 2
Santa's Workshop:
Santa has the elves attack you with tools, place you on a conveyer belt into a giant present box, then Santa picks you up, flies off, and drops you down a chimney.
Level 3
Sleigh Ride:
Pretty much a combo of what I and Oddball said. Santa zips around the stage with his sleigh. I would just include the reindeer.

In a bit, I'll put up a poll, unless anybody else has something to add.

AlRex

Smash Lord

AlRex

Smash Lord
Looking at the polls, T Trevenant 's moveset will be chosen for Dracula and Oddball Oddball 's will be chosen for Santa. Although I like the snowball, I ultimately think the toys & presents are more unique and Santa specific. Unless anyone objects now... We should definitely get a cryokinetic character at some point, at least.

Job #23: Submit an Assist from an already represented series and/or a Pokémon.
Try not to de-confirm too many big name characters with this. Think more of simplistic characters, characters who are prominent but wouldn’t work well as fighters, side characters, maybe even obscure characters if you want. Top two will be added for the assists and top three could be added from Pokemon, depending on the number of submissions.

The_Flash_(DCAU).png

Assist Idea: The Flash (DC Comics)
I feel like Batman and Wonder Woman are ahead of this guy, not to mention the non-Marvel-and-DC comics that could be represented. Nevertheless, he’s very prominent, so he should be included in some respect. I imagine he’ll zip around to various places on the stage, then stop to do quick rapid combos on whichever opponent he stops near. Pretty simple.

magikarp.png
250px-130Gyarados.png

Pokémon idea: Magikarp/Gyarados
Basically the Goldeen assist, but, if you attack it, he’ll evolve into Gyarados and blast you back.

Last edited:
Job 23:
Assist: Bowser (Mario)

Bowser
is main Villain of Super Mario series and he is Koopa King, who steals Peach from Mushroom Kingdom and he tries to marry her. He is one of Most iconic Video Game Villains of all time and he is most common Mario Villain, who is in almost all Mario games that ever existed. He also lives in his kingdom in Lavaland-like territory as always.

When summoned, he could ride on his Koopa Clown Car and he could throw Bob-Ombs and Mechakoopas to attacks the Opponents. He could Swoop to damage opponents and even drop huge rolling metal balls on stage. He could even breathe fire like in Mario Games.
His Assist Role is similar to Super Mario World Final Boss Battle.
He can be KOed only if you jump on his Head 5 times.

Pokeball Pokemon: Charizard

He acts like in Melee, which he breathes Fire, but he also walks on stage to make it more useful as Pokeball Pokemon.

My "Mario" song submissions:
1. Mario Beatbox Solo (Verbalase)
2. Jungle Hijinx - Donkey Kong Country
3. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze theme
4. Super Mario Hyadain
5. 25M - Donkey Kong (Arcade)
I need to say that we need Non-Mario Nintendo songs in Mario Category like profiles did.
6. Legend of Zelda - title Theme
7. Corneria - Star Fox (Brawl)
8. Animal Crossing theme
9. Calamari Inkarnation - Splatoon
10. Duck Hunt/Zapper Medley (SSB4 and Ultimate mixed)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Vegeta

Goku's rival and eventual ally. When summoned he will fly around the stage, attacking eith energy blasts. He'd finish up with a big final blast.

Jigglypuff

When summoned, Jigglypuff will use Sing to send other fighters to sleep, leaving them open for attacks

Oddball

Smash Lord
T Mask.png

Tuxedo Mask will appear towards the top of the screen standing on something in the background (or a floating platform if there's nothing suitable) and will throw a red rose downward at an angle. It will cause a decent amount of damage and temporarily stun anyone it hits. If the rose hits the ground without hitting anyone it can be picked up by female characters to restore a small bit of health.

He will teleport in and out doing this a few times before vanishing completley.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Mario AT: Wario

When Wario appears, a line of text also appears instructing the fighters on what to do within the 5 second microgame that begins. Wario lazes off in the background, picking his nose and scratching his butt. Anyone who wins a microgame will be made giant. Wario effects all fighters, including the summoner and their teammates.

The possible Microgames are:

Mars Jars (Dodge!)

A bottle follows fighters around, albeit not one specific fighter. After a few seconds it will drop down - trapping any fighters beneath inside for the rest of the Microgame's duration and denying them a giant form. If multiple fighters are inside the jar you can have a pretty chaotic cave of life.

Blowin' Up (Pop!)

Three party hats(?) appear on stage, very far from one another, attack one to pop the string. All 3 must be popped for anyone to get giant.

Jimmy T. (Taunt!)

Jimmy T. covers the screen, and every time you do a full taunt (not getting hit during it or cancelling it) he'll fade a little - if Jimmy T. completely disappears, everyone who did a complete taunt will be giant.

Fragile (Don't Move!)

Need I say more?

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
I'm in a Christmas mood, so I gotta!

Job #23: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

1640554662389.png

Based off of his famous stop-motion animation appearance from the Rankin/Bass TV special, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer takes the role of Nintendog in this game. He won't cause any fighters any damage directly, but he will kick up a storm of snow and fog all across the stage, blocking any players from seeing what they're doing or where their character is. Rudolph will go down in history, though, as the one who clears the fog for the players. He'll fly around the stage in random directions, and his his very shiny nose, one which you could even say glows, will illuminate a long stretch of stage in front of him that players will be able to see. Therefore, if you wanna keep effectively fighting, you've just got to stay in front of Rudolph! Of course, the Nintendog assist in Smash is usually reviled by players, so maybe all they'll do is laugh and call him names...

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Alright, I think we can do the voting on this now.
Assists
AlRex AlRex The Flash (DC Comics)
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Bowser (Mario)
@Darkonedagger Vegeta (Dragon Ball)
cashregister9 cashregister9 Darth Maul (Star Wars)
Oddball Oddball Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario Wario [go figure]
Dan Quixote Dan Quixote Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Pokémon
AlRex AlRex Magikarp/Gyarados
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Charizard
@Darkonedagger Jigglypuff
cashregister9 cashregister9 Arceus

Proportional to the submissions, I'll do it like this. Top two Assists and Pokémon from this round will get in at the end of it.
Assists
1. Tuxedo Mask
2. Rudolph
3. Wario

Pokeymon
1. Jigglypuff
2. Arceus

D

Deleted member

1. Flash
2. Tuxedo Mask
3. Wario